A game in Salt Lake treated as an LA Kings home game

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

A game in Salt Lake treated as an LA Kings home game

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm

When I went to the Canucks-Kings game at Vivint Smart Home Arena last night, I was surprised they were treating it like a Los Angeles Kings home game. They announced the lineups as "Your Los Angeles Kings" and put on the video boards "Go Kings" and would play a song announcing goals for the Kings while no excitement for Canucks goals and announce the Kings on the Power Play, but then when the Canucks were on the power play, they instead announced the Kings being on the penalty kill.

I would think that Salt Lake is far enough from Los Angeles that the Kings playing there should be treated like a neutral team instead of the home team, and that it would make more sense to announce both starting lineups with the same level of excitement and announce goals and teams going on the power play all equally. Kind of like how in the Arizona Bowl, the same excitement was shown by the announcer and video board for both teams even though there were more NMSU fans there, or the same excitement was shown for both teams in the Potato Bowl when there was more of us than Ohio or Toledo fans. Or even when the WAC Tournament would be in Reno or Las Cruces, Nevada and NMSU's opponents were announced and treated the same way as them

They also didn't have any Canucks gear for sale. You would think enough Canucks fans would want to buy some if they had them.

I would understand the Kings being treated like a home team in San Diego, but not as far as Salt Lake. While the Kings fans are going to outnumber Canucks fans in Salt Lake, there would be a more even split if the other team was the Coyotes, Sharks, Ducks, Avalanche or Golden Knights if not more of them than Kings fans. Or if it was an exhibition baseball game at Smith's Ballpark, I would understand it being treated as an Angels home game.

I did hear that the Kings have two players from Utah, but those players are hard pressed to get even close friends to replace another NHL team with the Kings cause of them, let alone anyone who happens to kind of know them or just live in Utah.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: A game in Salt Lake treated as an LA Kings home game

Post by TheAKAggie » September 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Vegas staked SLC as Knights territory last year, so the Kings are maybe trying to nudge into that. It was a Kings preseason home game. They scheduled it in SLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

blueblood

Post by blueblood » September 25th, 2018, 3:22 pm

The kings signed a three year agreement last spring with Vivint Arena (The Millers) to play a preseason game in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » September 25th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Both teams suck so who cares

Locked Previous topicNext topic