More discontent in the WCC

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BobWilson

More discontent in the WCC

Post by BobWilson » November 13th, 2018, 8:55 am

This morning's Spokane Spokesman-Review contains a full-page ad by Santa Clara Athletics (at $4,000) announcing a new $38 Million, 50,000 square foot Athletic Excellence Center made possible by donation of $25 M by two former student athletes.
At the top of the add a quote by Gonzaga men's basketball coach, Mark Few, "...other programs aren't even trying." from the Las Vegas Review-Journal of October 18, 2018. Few has long complained about Gonzaga investing in it's basketball program only to split NCAA tournament revenue with WCC programs who are not investing significant amounts in their basket ball programs. SR columnist, John Blanchette notes, "People don't like hearing from the neighbors that they should mow their lawns more often - and they really don't like to hear how they should spend money. But if its money they didn't earn, well, they're probably going to hear about it." So will it be "Game On" or "Ads On?" We shall see.

Olderthandirt

Re: More discontent in the WCC

Post by Olderthandirt » November 16th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I would love to see them join us in the MW. Play in a good arena every night. Some of those WCC gyms are small.

I would also like to bring in BYU. (I know--inflammatory) If we had BYU for all sports, and add Gonzaga and St. Mary's for Bball, that it would help move the needle on the MW more and more.

I know many on this board will have nothing to do with the Y, but you have to admit, they bring a lot of eyes--albeit annoying.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 16th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Olderthandirt wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 2:57 pm
I would love to see them join us in the MW. Play in a good arena every night. Some of those WCC gyms are small.

I would also like to bring in BYU. (I know--inflammatory) If we had BYU for all sports, and add Gonzaga and St. Mary's for Bball, that it would help move the needle on the MW more and more.

I know many on this board will have nothing to do with the Y, but you have to admit, they bring a lot of eyes--albeit annoying.
There’s a compelling argument to bring in BYU for reasons of conference strength, but the fact that they’re a major prima donna who would feel entitled to all sorts of special treatment and wouldn’t hesitate to bolt at their first opportunity or even to completely destroy the conference and stab us in the back if they thought they could benefit kinda takes away most of the appeal.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 16th, 2018, 10:09 pm

I would love Gonzaga and byu. I'd love byu not because I like them, but for the opposite. It is fun to beat them and it would be more fun to beat them in meaningful games every year. Th 45-20 beatdown in Provo was awesome, but it would be more awesome if it was a conference game.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 16th, 2018, 10:19 pm

BYU would probably help make the conference stronger, but I don't want to be in the same conference with them. I just don't trust them. I would just as soon keep our distance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » November 17th, 2018, 1:30 pm

That is a good argument. They have a spotted record.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 17th, 2018, 4:24 pm

I feel like BYU is kind of like Allen Iverson or TO. Probably can make your team (conference) a bit stronger, but at what cost. Is the overall long term better? I would say it is not. I think BYU brings too much baggage, more downside than upside for me

Locked Previous topicNext topic