The WAC wants Dixie State to move up to D1

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
DixieAggie
Has thanked: 0

The WAC wants Dixie State to move up to D1

Post by DixieAggie » October 18th, 2018, 2:23 pm

The WAC is battling to survive with some of there teams leaving for other conferences like the Big West, and adding a new D2 school like Cal Baptist. With that present climate the WAC has approached Dixie State University to see if they'd be interested in joining and moving up from NCAA D2 to D1 status. DSU has recently moved from the PAC West conference (where they were rivals with Cal Baptist) to the RMAC so DSU could be positioned in a solid Football conference. DSU has recently upgraded it's football stadium to seat over 10,000 fans with a brand new East stands project that was completed this summer, and it is in the middle of a money raising campaign to upgrade it's West stands with a new press box, box seating, and offices, so football is important factor in this decision. To lure other programs to the WAC, the WAC is looking to resurrect Football possibly at the FCS level with affiliate football members (it's not what New Mexico State needs).

Dixie State University is currently in the process of reviewing this proposal and has hired a consultant firm to run a feasibility study on moving to NCAA D1. DSU is currently scheduling town hall meetings with the community, stake holders and boosters. Also the WAC and RMAC are both planning on making DSU site visits to make there cases, then a final recommendation will be brought before the DSU Board of Trustees in November for a final decision to be made.

The goal is to strengthen the WAC conference members and Dixie State is well positioned in the conference boundaries and has natural rivals with some current members (UVU, GCU and CBU). DSU has always had a strong athletics tradition and a solid community backing.

My sense is that the community wants this to happen, it could bring back a rivalry with SUU, and possible in-state games in D1 Basketball and FCS Football.
For the ninth-straight year, Dixie State University’s men’s basketball program ranked in the top 10 nationally at the NCAA Division II level in attendance for the 2017-18 season.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... dance.html

Go Aggies!

Jjoey53

Re: The WAC wants Dixie State to move up to D1

Post by Jjoey53 » October 18th, 2018, 3:49 pm

St. George certainly could afford it, and has a large enough people to support D1 basketball, not so sure about football

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thansen

Post by thansen » October 18th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 3:49 pm
St. George certainly could afford it, and has a large enough people to support D1 basketball, not so sure about football

If Cedar City and Logan can support it I'm pretty confident St. George can too. Not to mention the St. George metro area is the fastest growing area in the U.S. Additionally St. George should be easy to sell to recruits given the warm weather, it's proximity to Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Zion's National Park and many other National Parks, Las Vegas, snow skiing, etc.

WaterPoloLaw
Been thanked: 0

Post by WaterPoloLaw » October 24th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Dixie State should totally go D1. St. George and totally handle the move to D1 FCS.

DixieAggie

Post by DixieAggie » October 29th, 2018, 5:57 pm

As many of you may have heard, DSU is considering a move to Division 1 athletics. This would be a monumental leap in moving Dixie State from status to stature but requires countless considerations to fully understand if such a move is feasible and right for our institution. DSU has hired a consulting group to provide a thorough feasibility study on the topic, which is available to view here. https://dixiestateathletics.com/documen ... y_10_1.pdf
We will be hosting town hall meetings to present these findings, answer any questions, and receive your feedback.

Thank You
Dr. Jason Boothe, Athletic Director

Go Aggies!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 29th, 2018, 9:49 pm

I moved down to St. George over the summer. Dixie State is growing fast as a University. The story around these parts is that there were some politics (pro SUU folks in Utah congress) keeping DSU from becoming a University for a while. Now they are growing fast. They have some nice buildings and new construction going up. The stadium holds 10k, which seems okay for FCS.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 30th, 2018, 8:01 am

How many football playing schools would the NCAA require to accredit the WAC as a FCS conference? Only NMSU of the current WAC plays football, and wants to continue in FBS. Where would the other football-playing schools come from, even as affiliates rather than full conference members? Are any of the existing WAC members thinking of adding football?

I guess they could play as a FCS independent -- North Dakota, Hampton and North Alabama are current FCS indies. UND this year is playing what could be a full Big Sky schedule, but Hampton and North Alabama's schedules look like pu-pu platters of D-IIs and NAIAs.

Nobody here knows anything.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2018, 8:25 am

Someone needs to provide a mercy shot to the WAC conference.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2018, 8:44 am

In my opinion Dixie has to potential to rocket past SUU pretty quick. I'd be worried about it if I were SUU.

WILDCAT

Post by WILDCAT » October 30th, 2018, 11:03 am

This could be the kick starter that get Football started at UVU

35-7

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 30th, 2018, 2:21 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:44 am
In my opinion Dixie has to potential to rocket past SUU pretty quick. I'd be worried about it if I were SUU.
Southern Utah could be Dixie's byu.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 30th, 2018, 2:40 pm

WILDCAT wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 11:03 am
Honestly, share the stadium down the road. Lots of students. Maybe just take over the program down the street.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 30th, 2018, 2:47 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:40 pm
WILDCAT wrote:
Honestly, share the stadium down the road. Lots of students. Maybe just take over the program down the street.
The only way that UVU ever get's football is if BYU shuts their program down.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 30th, 2018, 2:48 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:47 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:40 pm
WILDCAT wrote:
The only way that UVU ever get's football is if BYU shuts their program down.
Is there any way that I can help expedite that process?

CedarAg

Post by CedarAg » November 20th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Prayer

Roll Aggies!!!!

DixieAggie

Post by DixieAggie » December 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm

Go Aggies!

dogie

Post by dogie » December 3rd, 2018, 6:06 pm

This is a conference with zero FCS programs and they are talking about becoming an FCS conference. I have some serious doubts.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » December 3rd, 2018, 10:02 pm

DixieAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
WAC Football Coming back?
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/11 ... than-think
Maybe dropping to FCS and playing in the WAC would be good for New Mexico State. It’s got to be more fun to win in a lower division than to be a perennial cellar dweller in a higher division.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
DixieAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
WAC Football Coming back?
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/11 ... than-think
Maybe dropping to FCS and playing in the WAC would be good for New Mexico State. It’s got to be more fun to win in a lower division than to be a perennial cellar dweller in a higher division.

Yeah, and they can use the U of Idaho as a model, it worked for them.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 6th, 2018, 5:30 am

I hope this ends up being a reality. The more football the better! Maybe UVU can get in on it and play their games in pwovo on the weekends that Temple Tech is on the road. It shouldn't be difficult.

BigEZ43

Post by BigEZ43 » December 15th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I took my daughter to a soccer camp at Dixie today. According to the coach, they are definitely moving to the WAC in 2020.

sneed

Post by sneed » December 16th, 2018, 9:16 am

aggies22 wrote:I hope this ends up being a reality. The more football the better! Maybe UVU can get in on it and play their games in pwovo on the weekends that Temple Tech is on the road. It shouldn't be difficult.
They play on ESPN. It will be very easy. They could even play the same day. UVU play on Facebook at 1. BYU play on ESPN at 10:30.

DixieAggie

Post by DixieAggie » January 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm

KSL news story, https://www.ksl.com/article/46464699/so ... ndependent

The Spun, https://thespun.com/college-football/di ... division-i

Dixie State University will make the official WAC announcement Friday at 3pm.

WACbbs https://csnbbs.com/thread-868025.html

Go Aggies!

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 11th, 2019, 5:33 pm

They're in.

Good for them. The press release doesn't mention it, but they'll be a FCS independent in football. It'll be interesting to see what their first FB schedule in 2020 looks like.

Nobody here knows anything.

DixieAggie

Post by DixieAggie » January 11th, 2019, 10:37 pm

The WAC Commissioner made it official Dixie State University is moving D1 and joining the WAC. Football will go independent in FCS, the first FCS D1 football game will be at SUU in Fall 2020 and start playing Weber State in 2021. Montana State is already scheduled for 2020. UVU's AD came to the press conference and made a joint announcement that they will create a traveling trophy when competing against DSU. Utah's Governor was there with the Lieutenant Governor, this is a big deal for Washington County.

WACsports.com - https://www.wacsports.com/general/2018- ... 0111mx6862
Press Conference - https://dixiestateathletics.com/news/20 ... rence.aspx

Go Aggies!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm

OKAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:01 am
How many football playing schools would the NCAA require to accredit the WAC as a FCS conference? Only NMSU of the current WAC plays football, and wants to continue in FBS. Where would the other football-playing schools come from, even as affiliates rather than full conference members? Are any of the existing WAC members thinking of adding football?

I guess they could play as a FCS independent -- North Dakota, Hampton and North Alabama are current FCS indies. UND this year is playing what could be a full Big Sky schedule, but Hampton and North Alabama's schedules look like pu-pu platters of D-IIs and NAIAs.
With the departure of North Dakota, I believe the Big Sky has eleven full members and two football only affiliate members (Cal Poly and UC Davis). North Dakota will play a Big Sky schedule in 2019 because of scheduling issues, then join the Missouri Valley Conference. That means that the Big Sky will have 13 football members in 2020. Having an odd number of members makes for difficult scheduling. The logical thing would be for Dixie to join the Big Sky as an affiliate for football only, and park their Olympic sports in the WAC. Eventually, some of the WAC schools need to step up to FCS football, and the WAC football playing schools and the Big Sky can form two reasonably sized FCS conferences. The WAC will get pushed further down the food chain, much like what happened with the old Skyline Conference when Utah and BYU broke it up to form the WAC in the first place.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » January 18th, 2019, 7:05 pm

LKGates wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 8:01 am

With the departure of North Dakota, I believe the Big Sky has eleven full members and two football only affiliate members (Cal Poly and UC Davis). North Dakota will play a Big Sky schedule in 2019 because of scheduling issues, then join the Missouri Valley Conference. That means that the Big Sky will have 13 football members in 2020. Having an odd number of members makes for difficult scheduling. The logical thing would be for Dixie to join the Big Sky as an affiliate for football only, and park their Olympic sports in the WAC. Eventually, some of the WAC schools need to step up to FCS football, and the WAC football playing schools and the Big Sky can form two reasonably sized FCS conferences. The WAC will get pushed further down the food chain, much like what happened with the old Skyline Conference when Utah and BYU broke it up to form the WAC in the first place.

I think it will take many years before the Big Sky would bring Dixie in. Long term I think they will be the major power of S. Utah.

Locked Previous topicNext topic