Nevada vs Gonzaga

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BobWilson
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Nevada vs Gonzaga

Post by BobWilson » February 14th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Gonzaga has been ranked a few places ahead of Nevada the entire season - the Zags have a storied history and a national reputation - Something USU could have had if........ But I think, based on watching both teams many times on TV that Nevada is the better team this year because they are more mature and more physical especially on the guard line. I hope they get to play each other in the tournament.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Nevada vs Gonzaga

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 14th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Gonzaga beat Duke in Maui and came within a 3 pt shot of beating number 1 Tennessee. Overall they have been more dominant than Nevada. Nevada has had a ton of close games and a bad loss. My money would be on Gonzaga.

BobWilson
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BobWilson » February 15th, 2019, 8:49 am

Yes the Zags have been more dominant in conference but the WCC opposition is pretty weak for the most part. I hope they meet in the NCAA it should be a good game.

dogie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by dogie » February 15th, 2019, 9:26 am

BobWilson wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 8:49 am
Yes the Zags have been more dominant in conference but the WCC opposition is pretty weak for the most part. I hope they meet in the NCAA it should be a good game.
The WCC is having a fantastic year. Just a few data points:

OOC Division 1 games above .500
WCC 32
MWC 1

Sagarin Conference Rating
WCC 8
MWC 10

Teams in top 100 of NET Ratings
WCC 5 of 10 (50%)
MWC 3 of 11 (27%)

I watched Gonzaga struggle last night to beat Loyola Marymount, which is now two game under .500 in the WCC but was 12-2 in OOC games. They could easily be in the top four of the MWC if they were in that conference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 25th, 2019, 12:47 am

Gonzaga is pretty far ahead of Nevada from what I've seen. Nevada looks like a 5 seed vulnerable in the first round. Gonzaga looks like a 1 seed with a legit shot at the final four if not more than that. I like our chances on Saturday against Nevada. I don't think we could even give Gonzaga a game this year.

Jjoey53
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Jjoey53 » February 25th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Wolfpack will be in a foul mood after 3-2, this will carry them to the sweet 16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by ProvoAggie » February 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 12:47 am
Gonzaga is pretty far ahead of Nevada from what I've seen. Nevada looks like a 5 seed vulnerable in the first round. Gonzaga looks like a 1 seed with a legit shot at the final four if not more than that. I like our chances on Saturday against Nevada. I don't think we could even give Gonzaga a game this year.
I actually don't see the difference between them being that large. I do agree that Gonzaga is the better team but if we had them in the Spectrum this year I think it would be a good game. San Diego, Loyola Marymount and San Francisco all gave Gonzaga good games this year, what makes you think we couldn't do as well as those 3?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 28th, 2019, 11:47 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm
I actually don't see the difference between them being that large. I do agree that Gonzaga is the better team but if we had them in the Spectrum this year I think it would be a good game. San Diego, Loyola Marymount and San Francisco all gave Gonzaga good games this year, what makes you think we couldn't do as well as those 3?
You can't really do the score comparison game. Otherwise you could say byu beat us by 15, Gonzaga beat them by 30 and 34 we would lose by close to 50. Yes they have played close games, but they have also won in a ton of blowouts and are ranked #1 in the country while averaging wins over the WCC by 28 pts per game and being undefeated. We have two great players, but their starting 5 is significantly better than ours and they are a deeper team. Possible we give them a game, but if we played Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament I would not bet on us to keep it close. Certainly hope to be wrong if that game happens and would willingly eat crow. Obviously if you asked me before the 2003 game against Kansas, I would have told you we wouldn't have given them a game either.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by ProvoAggie » March 1st, 2019, 8:59 am

February 28th, 2019, 11:47 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm
You can't really do the score comparison game. Otherwise you could say byu beat us by 15, Gonzaga beat them by 30 and 34 we would lose by close to 50. Yes they have played close games, but they have also won in a ton of blowouts and are ranked #1 in the country while averaging wins over the WCC by 28 pts per game and being undefeated. We have two great players, but their starting 5 is significantly better than ours and they are a deeper team. Possible we give them a game, but if we played Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament I would not bet on us to keep it close. Certainly hope to be wrong if that game happens and would willingly eat crow. Obviously if you asked me before the 2003 game against Kansas, I would have told you we wouldn't have given them a game either.
I know you can't just look at scores but I've watched several of Gonzagas games. When they're playing the upper half of the WCC they struggle for a while before pulling away a little bit late but they've also had some games that were reasonably close going into the final minutes. The straight up blow outs have been against the bottom of the conference and BYU. From what I've seen, I think we could make a game of it in the Spectrum. I can't guarantee that we'd win but I also don't think that they'd blow us out. I also don't think that they'd blow Nevada out in Reno and if they played each other on a neutral floor I think it would be a decent game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 5th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Actually they have dominated the top of the WCC. BYU and St Mary's tied for 2nd in the WCC. They beat byu by 30 and 34. They beat St Mary's by 48 and 14. St Mary's is the 4th best team in the conference and Gonzaga beat them by 13 and 30. Those are the top 3 teams and Gonzaga won by at least 13 every game and 4 of the 6 wins were by 30 or more. Seems like complete domination.

As for the rest of the conference, Gonzaga's closest win all season was a 12 point win at San Diego. While I don't think the WCC is a great conference, it was actually better than the MW OOC this year. Nevada on the other hand has struggled in several games through the MW and isn't even the clear cut best team since we beat them and may win the regular season title outlet. Nevada is struggling with Air Force right now and has lost 3 games including a 27 point loss to a bad New Mexico team. If they play in the NCAA tournament, a safe bet would be on the Zags although anything can happen in March.

I hate to say any team is better than USU on the night we clinched the regular season MW title, but we still have a ways to go to be as good as Gonzaga. They are ranked number one for a reason.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic