Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie19
Posts: 82
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times

Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Aggie19 » March 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 12697
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by brownjeans » March 12th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Westbrook is racist against white people - so to him, anything from a white person is racist.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 4928
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by 2004AG » March 12th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Aggie19 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.
Once the race card is pulled, you are absolved of any and all actions that follow.

He’s just covering his a**.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
kofdog
Posts: 2181
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:07 am
Location: North Logan
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by kofdog » March 12th, 2019, 2:12 pm

But who do we believe because that's not what they guy claimed he was saying....who knows



calaggie
Posts: 134
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:14 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by calaggie » March 12th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.
Is it? At best, you could say it’s ambiguous whether it’s overtly racial or sexual. But, when you add in the tweet below that the Jazz fan apparently deleted after the incident, it probably pushes it in the direction of racial.

Image



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4045
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm

kofdog wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 2:12 pm
But who do we believe because that's not what they guy claimed he was saying....who knows
Looks like the Jazz have determined after investigation that the fan was indeed a DB. The fan has been permanently BANNED from the arena for any and all types of events held there.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/statement-utah-jazz



thrashsoundly
Posts: 89
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by thrashsoundly » March 12th, 2019, 2:55 pm

FWIW:



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 4928
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by 2004AG » March 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm

calaggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.
Is it? At best, you could say it’s ambiguous whether it’s overtly racial or sexual. But, when you add in the tweet below that the Jazz fan apparently deleted after the incident, it probably pushes it in the direction of racial.

Image
In what context could "get on your knees" have to do with a person's race?



slcagg
Posts: 2814
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by slcagg » March 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm

How does the Jazz ensure the guy never enters the building again?



NVAggie
Posts: 14955
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by NVAggie » March 12th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Just a PR move. They are laying it on thick that Westbrook is a good dude and totally justified.



User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5548
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by USU78 » March 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm
calaggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.
Is it? At best, you could say it’s ambiguous whether it’s overtly racial or sexual. But, when you add in the tweet below that the Jazz fan apparently deleted after the incident, it probably pushes it in the direction of racial.

Image
In what context could "get on your knees" have to do with a person's race?
Two that I can think of: slaves bow or kneel before their owners; and there's an old trope about compelling Jews to kneel before a crucifix.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1820
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2019, 8:25 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm
How does the Jazz ensure the guy never enters the building again?
In the short term I would avoid going. His face has been all over social media and the event is fresh on people's mind. If in a few years he wants to go to a game and sit in a different section, I doubt anyone would stop him as long as he doesn't make a fool of himself again.

And from his social media, plus how Westbrook acted and the Jazz investigation, it is a reasonable assumption that he is a racist. You know the Jazz talked to people sitting around him and they verified Westbrook's account.



Blue23
Posts: 43
Joined: February 14th, 2019, 10:40 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Blue23 » March 12th, 2019, 11:39 pm

Honestly, fans at NBA games shouldn't be yelling at players, just leave them alone and watch the game. Same goes for the players, don't engage with the idiot fans. However, I understand why Westbrook reacted the way he did.



NVAggie
Posts: 14955
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 9:05 am

Certainly bad behavior on both sides.



User avatar
crazywookie
Posts: 1380
Joined: August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 pm
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by crazywookie » March 13th, 2019, 11:51 am

There are inbred vegetables for brains people everywhere. Including some season ticket holders at USU games. No I am not calling any of you out. Simply an observation from first-hand experience a few years back.


"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Imakeitrain
Posts: 4835
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Imakeitrain » March 13th, 2019, 11:59 am

calaggie wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 2:36 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Can someone please explain to me how a jazz fan telling Russell Westbrook to "get on his knees like he's used to" is racial? It's clearly sexual. Athletes and media claiming racism at every comment is getting ridiculous. These guys need to grow some balls and quit falling back on the BS when they get caught up in stupid things.
Is it? At best, you could say it’s ambiguous whether it’s overtly racial or sexual. But, when you add in the tweet below that the Jazz fan apparently deleted after the incident, it probably pushes it in the direction of racial.

Image
What is the angle of it being racial? Westbrook wouldn’t have known about the tweet. My money is that the investigation pulled up more. If not the Jazz are throwing a fan under the bus- and that’s pathetic.
Last edited by Imakeitrain on March 13th, 2019, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Imakeitrain
Posts: 4835
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Imakeitrain » March 13th, 2019, 12:07 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm
How does the Jazz ensure the guy never enters the building again?
They can’t unless he is incredibly stupid.

1. If he gets in trouble at a game, and his ID is ran.
2. If he purchases tickets directly from Jazz using a credit card.

He may get caught if he goes this season, but he also looks like 80% of the University of Utah fan base. Camo hat, probably an extensive collection of cargo shorts and likely a lifted truck of some sort.

The Jazz aren’t going to spend then money to actually keep him out.


And if he really wanted to all he’d have to do is change his name. Then he could probably buy season tickets from the Jazz and the only way he gets caught is if he dits court side next to Westbrook.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5548
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by USU78 » March 13th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Sandbox?


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

NVAggie
Posts: 14955
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 1:03 pm

The fan is now suing Westbrook. Pretty weird.



Ahbye
Posts: 1651
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by Ahbye » March 13th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 12:07 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm
How does the Jazz ensure the guy never enters the building again?
They can’t unless he is incredibly stupid.

1. If he gets in trouble at a game, and his ID is ran.
2. If he purchases tickets directly from Jazz using a credit card.

He may get caught if he goes this season, but he also looks like 80% of the University of Utah fan base. Camo hat, probably an extensive collection of Under Armour cargo shorts and "dressy" tank tops and likely a lifted truck with Pac 12 stickers of some sort.

The Jazz aren’t going to spend then money to actually keep him out.


And if he really wanted to all he’d have to do is change his name. Then he could probably buy season tickets from the Jazz and the only way he gets caught is if he dits court side next to Westbrook.
FIFY



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6143
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 307 times
Contact:

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by aggies22 » March 15th, 2019, 1:43 pm

The Jazz also just handed out a lifetime ban to one of the fans that got into it with Westbrook during last seasons playoff series.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
Posts: 5210
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times
Contact:

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by TheAKAggie » March 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm

He called him a thug.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5548
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial

Post by USU78 » March 15th, 2019, 5:35 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm
He called him a thug.
Smart@$$


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

NVAggie
Posts: 14955
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 171 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial

Post by NVAggie » March 15th, 2019, 6:03 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 5:27 pm
He called him a thug.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racist



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 6971
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial" Comments

Post by dyedblue » March 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm

So now that the Jazz have taken stuff and appropriate action can we have a conversation about an NBA player telling a fan that they are going to "f" up his wife. For all the talk about respecting women, that comment fell well short.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
USU78
2016 Weekly Pick'em Champion
Posts: 5548
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial

Post by USU78 » March 15th, 2019, 9:06 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm
So now that the Jazz have taken stuff and appropriate action can we have a conversation about an NBA player telling a fan that they are going to "f" up his wife. For all the talk about respecting women, that comment fell well short.
Is "spoiled brat" racist?


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

User avatar
sam tingey
2013 & 2016 FB Predict The Score Champion & 2017 & 2018 Bowl Pick'Em Champion
Posts: 1351
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial

Post by sam tingey » March 15th, 2019, 11:45 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm
So now that the Jazz have taken stuff and appropriate action can we have a conversation about an NBA player telling a fan that they are going to "f" up his wife. For all the talk about respecting women, that comment fell well short.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Westbrook paid $25k for that comment. That is a lot of money to run your mouth I think.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 4835
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Westbrook and 'Racial

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 5:05 pm

sam tingey wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 11:45 pm
dyedblue wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm
So now that the Jazz have taken stuff and appropriate action can we have a conversation about an NBA player telling a fan that they are going to "f" up his wife. For all the talk about respecting women, that comment fell well short.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Westbrook paid $25k for that comment. That is a lot of money to run your mouth I think.
I'm sure based on a nearly $36 million salary that 25 grand really hurt him in the pocket book.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic