Your Best and Worst USU ADs

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
2004AG

Re: Your Best and Worst USU ADs

Post by 2004AG » July 5th, 2019, 12:26 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:33 am
1- well it was straight from Barnes mouth, so I don’t know what to tell you. My version is direct from Barnes and yours it some made up story you invented in your head.

2- it’s like you are being purposefully obtuse. I never said Stew sucked. I love Stew. I said his last 3-4 years Stew sucked. Stew was burnt out the last 3-4 years. The numbers back me up, not you.

But in a couple months you’ll repeat this same lie and we can rehash it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once again, what is Barnes supposed to say? "Tommy Connor turned us down because we couldn't offer him enough money and he didn't think he could win here. So we had to go to our third choice candidate. I hope he doesn't suck too much." Of course the AD is going to spin it as not a "good fit" rather than saying that he turned us down. I repeat my question: If Barnes really believed that Connor was not a "good fit," then why did he spend two months trying to convince him to take the job?
Because he was doing his due diligence. It takes time trying to vet and research potential candidates. It’s not that complicated.

It’s funny how all of a sudden the money magically appeared when it came time to hire Craig Smith.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 6th, 2019, 11:33 am

StanfordAggie wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 11:12 am
2004AG wrote:
1- well it was straight from Barnes mouth, so I don’t know what to tell you. My version is direct from Barnes and yours it some made up story you invented in your head.

2- it’s like you are being purposefully obtuse. I never said Stew sucked. I love Stew. I said his last 3-4 years Stew sucked. Stew was burnt out the last 3-4 years. The numbers back me up, not you.

Once again, what is Barnes supposed to say? "Tommy Connor turned us down because we couldn't offer him enough money and he didn't think he could win here. So we had to go to our third choice candidate. I hope he doesn't suck too much." Of course the AD is going to spin it as not a "good fit" rather than saying that he turned us down. I repeat my question: If Barnes really believed that Connor was not a "good fit," then why did he spend two months trying to convince him to take the job?
Maybe Connor wasn't "a good fit" because he wanted Barnes to give him more money.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 6th, 2019, 12:44 pm

aggies22 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Maybe Connor wasn't "a good fit" because he wanted Barnes to give him more money.
Yep. Connor used it as an opportunity to get more money out of Utah.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 7th, 2019, 6:09 am

What are the thoughts on Chuck Bell? He was controversial and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but he did get a lot done while at USU:

-Getting USU athletics in compliance with title IX.
-Installation of premium seating and lights in the stadium.
-The Laub Indoor Training Center.
-Starting women's soccer.
-Hiring Larry Eustachy who rebuilt the men's basketball program into an NCAA team and set the foundation for Stew.
-Hiring John L. Smith for football who had back to back wins over Utah, and back to back Big West conference co-championships.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 11th, 2019, 1:57 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:44 pm
aggies22 wrote:
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Yep. Connor used it as an opportunity to get more money out of Utah.

I wonder if Connor is regretting that move now? At the time he probably thought he was going to be next in line to get the U of U coaching job. Now he is an assistant for a coach on the hot seat and unlikely to be considered if Krysto gets the axe after they fail to make the ncaa tournament next year.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 30th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Been reading some articles about how Rod Tueller handled the Chuck Shelton contract negotiations/football in general and that guy just seems like a (I can't express myself without swearing).

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 30th, 2019, 2:54 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 1:35 pm
Been reading some articles about how Rod Tueller handled the Chuck Shelton contract negotiations/football in general and that guy just seems like a s***.
You sir are correct. I would again say that A.D.'s can be limited by what the president wants to do, in the time frame you are talking about both were just awful.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm

So what you are saying is we didn't have the money to offer Tommy Connor what he wanted but it was enough to almost entice Ben Howland to take the job? Cool story bro.
Barnes screwed up. Albrecht screwed up. It is what it is and doesn't matter now.

Regulator of Class

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » August 9th, 2019, 3:34 pm

coolag wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm
So what you are saying is we didn't have the money to offer Tommy Connor what he wanted but it was enough to almost entice Ben Howland to take the job? Cool story bro.
Barnes screwed up. Albrecht screwed up. It is what it is and doesn't matter now.
I have no idea how close Howland was to signing with USU, but there were rumors here that he would have taken the USU job if he hadn't been offered the job at Mississippi State. And I don't think that is particularly crazy. For starters, he probably had enough money from his days at UCLA that he could have retired comfortably as an analyst at ESPN if he didn't want to go back into coaching. But he wanted to coach again, and he had been out of a job for a while. When you are unemployed after you got fired from your last gig, often times you need to accept a less prestigious job to prove that you can still coach. Also he has some ties to the area. He played college ball at Weber State, after all. (Someone claimed that his wife grew up in or near Logan, but I can't substantiate that after a few minutes of googling, so I think it might be an Internet rumor.)

Also, Barnes may have been authorized to offer Howland a higher salary given that Howland had a long career as a head coach with multiple Final Fours whereas Connor had never been a head coach before. I don't know how it works in athletics, but when universities hire employees in other departments, often times there are guidelines about the salaries they are allowed to offer based on the prospective employee's qualifications and experience. Stew made significantly more than Duryea (and what Connor was reportedly offered), which suggests to me that the issue may not have been just lack of money but also the salary that the regents would approve for someone with no head coaching experience. I have no idea. But I don't think it is crazy to believe that Ben Howland seriously considered the USU job but then Tommy Connor turned it down (at least partly) because of money.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm

It is not possible that Barnes and Connor had a good understanding about Connor becoming the HEAD COACH at USU? Appears to me that Barnes didn't act properly (on behalf of Utah State) and promptly,,,as in a letter of commitment binding both parties... and then, with the time lag and no contract signed, Utah stepped up with a sweet deal for Connor and there goes the neighborhood and the phone lines to Connor go dead.

Likely Coach Duryea was paid what he was worth...seems his record supports his pedestrian compensation. There were honestly a lot of moving parts in the Connor debacle. Barnes has some scar tissue over this issue.

Servo

Post by Servo » September 8th, 2019, 4:45 pm

So, would someone bring me up to speed. What exactly are Hartwell's accomplishments thus far, besides hiring Smith and bringing Andersen back? NVAggie mentioned he's good with the budget. Details please?

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Servo wrote:So, would someone bring me up to speed. What exactly are Hartwell's accomplishments thus far, besides hiring Smith and bringing Andersen back? NVAggie mentioned he's good with the budget. Details please?
One thing that isn't realized by many is that Barnes greenlit a lot of projects that looked great but really had no way to pay for them. Hartwell inherited a financial mess. Fundraising is supposedly stronger now than it has ever been. Barnes was all about doing what ever it took to get a better job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 8th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Servo wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:45 pm
So, would someone bring me up to speed. What exactly are Hartwell's accomplishments thus far, besides hiring Smith and bringing Andersen back? NVAggie mentioned he's good with the budget. Details please?
The yearly budget is up around $8 million in his time here, fund raising has increased by $ 2.5- $3 million.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieaggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 8th, 2019, 11:38 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:49 pm
Servo wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:45 pm
The yearly budget is up around $8 million in his time here, fund raising has increased by $ 2.5- $3 million.
The fundraising is very important, but "besides hiring Smith" really undersells how important that was (and not saying Servo is necessarily meaning to undersell it). A lot of people did not want to fire Duryea and Smith was not the obvious replacement. He got the money to buy Duryea out and found a great coach. If Hartwell had no other major accomplishments, I would consider his tenure a success.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieOKAggieYoungBloodAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic