The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 1st, 2019, 11:30 am

... are going to be an excellent watch in 2019-2020.

Let me first say that I'm 100% in on Donovan Mitchell. He seems like an amazing guy. The sky is the limit for his growth in the NBA. He also went to an Aggie football game and signed autographs for some fans, so yeah - he's my favorite NBA player ever. Move aside John Stockton.

Gobert is an insane defensive force...

Then the Jazz went out and got Conley, Bojan Bogdanovich, and Ed Davis in the off-season - in what is certainly the best off-season for the Jazz ever.

I honestly believe that this could be a Western Conference Finals team. Don will have a ton of space to work this year. I'm very excited!

:utah: JAZZ!


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

trombone_ninja
Posts: 1162
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by trombone_ninja » July 1st, 2019, 12:06 pm

I’ve been a (very) casual Jazz fan my whole life, just because I enjoy soccer and college sports so much more than the NBA and NFL, but I’ll definitely be jumping on the Jazz bandwagon this season!


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

jpswensen
Posts: 1423
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 150 times
Contact:

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by jpswensen » July 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm

918AGG wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:30 am
... are going to be an excellent watch in 2019-2020.

Let me first say that I'm 100% in on Donovan Mitchell. He seems like an amazing guy. The sky is the limit for his growth in the NBA. He also went to an Aggie football game and signed autographs for some fans, so yeah - he's my favorite NBA player ever. Move aside John Stockton.

Gobert is an insane defensive force...

Then the Jazz went out and got Conley, Bojan Bogdanovich, and Ed Davis in the off-season - in what is certainly the best off-season for the Jazz ever.

I honestly believe that this could be a Western Conference Finals team. Don will have a ton of space to work this year. I'm very excited!

:utah: JAZZ!
I must admit that it will be a little sad to see the group from the last two years break up. I liked Rubio and Favors. Rubio is gone and it looks almost certain that Favors is too (though Pelicans details aren't yet released).

I really hope that the new group can keep the same fun-loving, unselfish, cohesive attitude that the previous group had. That is what made it so fun for me.


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 1st, 2019, 3:30 pm

jpswensen wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm
918AGG wrote:
July 1st, 2019, 11:30 am
... are going to be an excellent watch in 2019-2020.

Let me first say that I'm 100% in on Donovan Mitchell. He seems like an amazing guy. The sky is the limit for his growth in the NBA. He also went to an Aggie football game and signed autographs for some fans, so yeah - he's my favorite NBA player ever. Move aside John Stockton.

Gobert is an insane defensive force...

Then the Jazz went out and got Conley, Bojan Bogdanovich, and Ed Davis in the off-season - in what is certainly the best off-season for the Jazz ever.

I honestly believe that this could be a Western Conference Finals team. Don will have a ton of space to work this year. I'm very excited!

:utah: JAZZ!
I must admit that it will be a little sad to see the group from the last two years break up. I liked Rubio and Favors. Rubio is gone and it looks almost certain that Favors is too (though Pelicans details aren't yet released).

I really hope that the new group can keep the same fun-loving, unselfish, cohesive attitude that the previous group had. That is what made it so fun for me.
Conley is a very great get - and a huge upgrade over Rubio. I'm sad that Favors is gone, but his fit alongside Gobert has always been questionable...

Boggie is going to be loved by this fanbase. He's an excellent scorer and will slide in very well alongside Jingles. I'm guessing that Boggie will guard anybody playing the traditional 4 spot, while Jingles guards the wing.
These users liked this post from 918AGG:
aggies22


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7485
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1984 times
Been liked: 1055 times
Contact:

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

It's crazy to hear all "the experts" talking about the Jazz as contenders next season. I'm sure that is just KILLING the national media to have to admit that the Jazz pulled off an incredible offseason. If the Jazz improves to 60+ wins Dennis Lindsey is the Executive of the Year.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4228
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by aceofspadeskb » July 2nd, 2019, 3:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm
It's crazy to hear all "the experts" talking about the Jazz as contenders next season. I'm sure that is just KILLING the national media to have to admit that the Jazz pulled off an incredible offseason. If the Jazz improves to 60+ wins Dennis Lindsey is the Executive of the Year.
Not in a year when Kevin Durrant changes teams in free agency. You can just give the award to the Nets Management now. Deserved or not, you know it will happen. Perhaps even if KD doesn't play.



User avatar
justinmorrey
Posts: 619
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:29 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by justinmorrey » July 2nd, 2019, 5:52 pm

I'm super excited for these guys. I really hope this turns into the most consequential off season ever.

I'd say the biggest off season the Jazz have had so far was when they got Boozer and Okur. At the time those seemed like pretty solid signings but both turned out to be huge and were some of the stars of the second-best team the Jazz have put together. I don't remember, was that the same off season the Jazz drafted D-Will?



Intermeddler
Posts: 1694
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by Intermeddler » July 2nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

justinmorrey wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:52 pm
I'm super excited for these guys. I really hope this turns into the most consequential off season ever.

I'd say the biggest off season the Jazz have had so far was when they got Boozer and Okur. At the time those seemed like pretty solid signings but both turned out to be huge and were some of the stars of the second-best team the Jazz have put together. I don't remember, was that the same off season the Jazz drafted D-Will?
No. DWill had been on the team a year or two. Millsap may have been a rookie that year though.

And now they have added Jeff Green. This offseason keeps getting better. Great add on a minimum deal.



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2314
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by OKAggie » July 3rd, 2019, 6:11 am

Intermeddler wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:57 pm
justinmorrey wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 5:52 pm
I'm super excited for these guys. I really hope this turns into the most consequential off season ever.

I'd say the biggest off season the Jazz have had so far was when they got Boozer and Okur. At the time those seemed like pretty solid signings but both turned out to be huge and were some of the stars of the second-best team the Jazz have put together. I don't remember, was that the same off season the Jazz drafted D-Will?
No. DWill had been on the team a year or two. Millsap may have been a rookie that year though.

And now they have added Jeff Green. This offseason keeps getting better. Great add on a minimum deal.
And Emmanuel Mudiay -- insurance for the inevitable injury to Dante Exum.


Nobody here knows anything.

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 3rd, 2019, 8:49 am

I've watched enough Jeff Green and Emmanuel Mudiay to not really be all that excited about those two signings.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13248
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by brownjeans » July 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am

918AGG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 8:49 am
I've watched enough Jeff Green and Emmanuel Mudiay to not really be all that excited about those two signings.
Yeah. The Jazz are over the cap and have used their exception. They have to fill out the roster with rookies, and veterans willing to take the veteran minimum. Basically fringe-NBA players. If they get anyone better than that for the last few spots, it's a miracle.



User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 3rd, 2019, 2:45 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am
918AGG wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 8:49 am
I've watched enough Jeff Green and Emmanuel Mudiay to not really be all that excited about those two signings.
Yeah. The Jazz are over the cap and have used their exception. They have to fill out the roster with rookies, and veterans willing to take the veteran minimum. Basically fringe-NBA players. If they get anyone better than that for the last few spots, it's a miracle.
That's true - and with the exception of Kawhi and Boogie, Jeff Green was probably the best free agent available when he signed... so while I'm not necessarily excited about the signing, it's very respectable given the circumstances.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13248
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by brownjeans » July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am

Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.



slcagg
Posts: 3257
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by slcagg » July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am

brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.



sneed
Posts: 735
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has liked: 614 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by sneed » July 6th, 2019, 8:23 am

Jazz 16/1 to win the championship. Higher than most years I would think but a lot of good teams in the West.



sneed
Posts: 735
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has liked: 614 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by sneed » July 6th, 2019, 8:23 am

Lakers 4/1 - way too high.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13248
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by brownjeans » July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.



User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.
Don't forget Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (who is young and good) and a few pick swaps.

The picks are actually pretty great because they come from multiple sources; they aren't all LAC's pick. IIRC, there are two Heat picks in there somewhere. There's also believed to be a draft in the next few years where a bunch of high school prospects will declare once the one-and-done rule is abolished. You never know - a few injuries to the Heat or Clippers and all of the sudden, those picks are solid gold.

I guarantee you that Sam Presti is sitting behind closed doors dancing somewhere right now. He got an all-time haul for a guy on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. It'll be interesting to see if the Thunder can deal Westbrook before the beginning of the season. He has a truly disgusting contract; it'll be very hard to trade him.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13248
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by brownjeans » July 7th, 2019, 12:23 am

If he can manage to dump Westbrook, he should dance.



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2314
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by OKAggie » July 7th, 2019, 7:58 am

918AGG wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.
Don't forget Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (who is young and good) and a few pick swaps.

The picks are actually pretty great because they come from multiple sources; they aren't all LAC's pick. IIRC, there are two Heat picks in there somewhere. There's also believed to be a draft in the next few years where a bunch of high school prospects will declare once the one-and-done rule is abolished. You never know - a few injuries to the Heat or Clippers and all of the sudden, those picks are solid gold.

I guarantee you that Sam Presti is sitting behind closed doors dancing somewhere right now. He got an all-time haul for a guy on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. It'll be interesting to see if the Thunder can deal Westbrook before the beginning of the season. He has a truly disgusting contract; it'll be very hard to trade him.
Heat 2021 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2022 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Heat 2023 First-Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
Clippers 2024 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2026 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2025

Source: Forbes

From a Jazz fan in Thunder country, you have to understand that these fans have always thought they're one player away from getting back to the Finals. But if Presti is able to find someone to take Westbrook and his seventy-year, $3.6 trillion contract, they might come to enjoy a team that isn't expected to cater to one stat-hound player (PG might have pulled a hamstring in his enthusiastic rush to sign with LAC and get away from Russ).
These users liked this post from OKAggie:
brownjeans


Nobody here knows anything.

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7485
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1984 times
Been liked: 1055 times
Contact:

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by aggies22 » July 7th, 2019, 9:58 am

OKAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 7:58 am
918AGG wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.
Don't forget Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (who is young and good) and a few pick swaps.

The picks are actually pretty great because they come from multiple sources; they aren't all LAC's pick. IIRC, there are two Heat picks in there somewhere. There's also believed to be a draft in the next few years where a bunch of high school prospects will declare once the one-and-done rule is abolished. You never know - a few injuries to the Heat or Clippers and all of the sudden, those picks are solid gold.

I guarantee you that Sam Presti is sitting behind closed doors dancing somewhere right now. He got an all-time haul for a guy on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. It'll be interesting to see if the Thunder can deal Westbrook before the beginning of the season. He has a truly disgusting contract; it'll be very hard to trade him.
Heat 2021 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2022 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Heat 2023 First-Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
Clippers 2024 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2026 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2025

Source: Forbes

From a Jazz fan in Thunder country, you have to understand that these fans have always thought they're one player away from getting back to the Finals. But if Presti is able to find someone to take Westbrook and his seventy-year, $3.6 trillion contract, they might come to enjoy a team that isn't expected to cater to one stat-hound player (PG might have pulled a hamstring in his enthusiastic rush to sign with LAC and get away from Russ).
Are there any rumors floating around your neck of the woods about where Westbrook could end up? Hopefully it's someplace where he only has to visit Utah once a year.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13248
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 290 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by brownjeans » July 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm

The picks in 2021 to 2023 aren't likely to be in the lottery. The ones in 2024 to 2026 could be. The Clippers could look totally different by that time. That seems like a long time from now.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 262 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by dyedblue » July 7th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Maybe Westbrook can join forces with Heck stall wherever he goes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 7th, 2019, 6:48 pm

aggies22 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 7:58 am
918AGG wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.
Don't forget Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (who is young and good) and a few pick swaps.

The picks are actually pretty great because they come from multiple sources; they aren't all LAC's pick. IIRC, there are two Heat picks in there somewhere. There's also believed to be a draft in the next few years where a bunch of high school prospects will declare once the one-and-done rule is abolished. You never know - a few injuries to the Heat or Clippers and all of the sudden, those picks are solid gold.

I guarantee you that Sam Presti is sitting behind closed doors dancing somewhere right now. He got an all-time haul for a guy on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. It'll be interesting to see if the Thunder can deal Westbrook before the beginning of the season. He has a truly disgusting contract; it'll be very hard to trade him.
Heat 2021 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2022 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Heat 2023 First-Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
Clippers 2024 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Clippers 2026 First-Round Pick (Unprotected)
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2023
Rights to swap picks with the Clippers in 2025

Source: Forbes

From a Jazz fan in Thunder country, you have to understand that these fans have always thought they're one player away from getting back to the Finals. But if Presti is able to find someone to take Westbrook and his seventy-year, $3.6 trillion contract, they might come to enjoy a team that isn't expected to cater to one stat-hound player (PG might have pulled a hamstring in his enthusiastic rush to sign with LAC and get away from Russ).
Are there any rumors floating around your neck of the woods about where Westbrook could end up? Hopefully it's someplace where he only has to visit Utah once a year.
Rockets, Heat or Pistons. I’d guess Pistons just because of desperation and a relatively open door in the East, but I know nothing. I’ll be super impressed if the Thunder can actually find a way to deal him before the season starts.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 8th, 2019, 12:19 pm

... aaaand just like that - the Thunder trade Jerami Grant to Denver for a 2020 first round pick.

Sam Presti loves these late first rounders. I'll bet that a lot of these picks eventually get traded down the road.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1926
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm

918AGG wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 9:14 pm
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:15 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:29 am
Sounds like Kahwi is going to the Clippers and he's taking George with him.

This is hilarious. When George re-signed with OKC he gave people hope that you can trade for a super star for one year and they'll buy in and stay. Then Toronto does it with Kahwi and not only is he not staying, he's going over the OKC where he's going to set fire to the trade-for-a-star-and-they'll-stay fantasy house.

At least Toronto got a title with their trade-for-a-star deal, OKC is just getting screwed. I can't help but think OKC is suffering from a curse put on them by the Seattle SuperSonics fans.
Okc received a great return.
I'm not so sure. Are a bunch of picks between 20 and 30 that great? I guess we'll see how it plays out. By the time they get value from those picks Westbrook will be done (probably a blessing in disguise).

Honestly, I have no pity for OKC. Their management is pretty dumb. I mean, they chose Westbrook over Harden and/or Durant. I have no confidence that they will make sound decisions in the future.
Don't forget Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (who is young and good) and a few pick swaps.

The picks are actually pretty great because they come from multiple sources; they aren't all LAC's pick. IIRC, there are two Heat picks in there somewhere. There's also believed to be a draft in the next few years where a bunch of high school prospects will declare once the one-and-done rule is abolished. You never know - a few injuries to the Heat or Clippers and all of the sudden, those picks are solid gold.

I guarantee you that Sam Presti is sitting behind closed doors dancing somewhere right now. He got an all-time haul for a guy on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. It'll be interesting to see if the Thunder can deal Westbrook before the beginning of the season. He has a truly disgusting contract; it'll be very hard to trade him.
He shouldn't be dancing. He just traded an MVP finalist for subpar draft picks, a potential player and a player who is often hurt. Doubtful the Thunder will have two players of Westbrook and George's caliber anytime soon or get any through those picks. It is hard to get free agents to come to OKC like other small markets. They should have rode it out and gone as far as they could trying to tweak the team around their two superstars.

And I'm no Westbrook fan perse. I posted a thread on here about how he should go on the list of superstars who can't win after the last 3 years without Durant, but the truth is the truth. OKC isn't going to get a player of his caliber for a long time or obviously George who had his best season of his career last year.



User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 11th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm
He shouldn't be dancing. He just traded an MVP finalist for subpar draft picks, a potential player and a player who is often hurt. Doubtful the Thunder will have two players of Westbrook and George's caliber anytime soon or get any through those picks. It is hard to get free agents to come to OKC like other small markets. They should have rode it out and gone as far as they could trying to tweak the team around their two superstars.

And I'm no Westbrook fan perse. I posted a thread on here about how he should go on the list of superstars who can't win after the last 3 years without Durant, but the truth is the truth. OKC isn't going to get a player of his caliber for a long time or obviously George who had his best season of his career last year.
Here's a very serious question: How certain are you, AFIH, that the Thunder would even make the playoffs in 2019-2020?

I'm about 85%-90% sure that they wouldn't make the playoffs in 2019-2020 with PG and RW and minor "tweaks."

If you think that they'd make it in in 19-20, tell me who they're making it in over. Where do the Thunder fit in here?:

Warriors (they're in)
Nuggets (they're in)
Clippers (they're in)
Lakers (they're in - I know, they aren't deep, but Lebron, AD and Boogie are making the playoffs)
Jazz (they're in)
Spurs (Pop will be back, he always is, and their roster isn't changing much)
Rockets (they're in)
Blazers (they're in)

So, realistically - in the very best case scenario - the Thunder would probably hope to make the playoffs and make the 6 or 7 seed. (You could talk me into the idea that the Lakers or Spurs won't make the playoffs, but that's about it). As the 6 or 7, they'd play the Nuggets, Clippers or Warriors and get bounced pretty quickly.

Also, sources say that Paul George demanded a trade from Sam Presti. Sure, you could keep PG, but would that be a good situation for anyone?

And, you're correct, the Thunder likely won't get PG or RW-caliber players from the picks that they received, but they have their own picks, they're going to tank, and they have the same personnel in place who drafted Durant, Westbrook, and Harden in the first place - so I think that all arguments about their abilities to draft well are pretty dang null.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5303
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 2004AG » July 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

918AGG wrote:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm
He shouldn't be dancing. He just traded an MVP finalist for subpar draft picks, a potential player and a player who is often hurt. Doubtful the Thunder will have two players of Westbrook and George's caliber anytime soon or get any through those picks. It is hard to get free agents to come to OKC like other small markets. They should have rode it out and gone as far as they could trying to tweak the team around their two superstars.

And I'm no Westbrook fan perse. I posted a thread on here about how he should go on the list of superstars who can't win after the last 3 years without Durant, but the truth is the truth. OKC isn't going to get a player of his caliber for a long time or obviously George who had his best season of his career last year.
Here's a very serious question: How certain are you, AFIH, that the Thunder would even make the playoffs in 2019-2020?

I'm about 85%-90% sure that they wouldn't make the playoffs in 2019-2020 with PG and RW and minor "tweaks."

If you think that they'd make it in in 19-20, tell me who they're making it in over. Where do the Thunder fit in here?:

Warriors (they're in)
Nuggets (they're in)
Clippers (they're in)
Lakers (they're in - I know, they aren't deep, but Lebron, AD and Boogie are making the playoffs)
Jazz (they're in)
Spurs (Pop will be back, he always is, and their roster isn't changing much)
Rockets (they're in)
Blazers (they're in)

So, realistically - in the very best case scenario - the Thunder would probably hope to make the playoffs and make the 6 or 7 seed. (You could talk me into the idea that the Lakers or Spurs won't make the playoffs, but that's about it). As the 6 or 7, they'd play the Nuggets, Clippers or Warriors and get bounced pretty quickly.

Also, sources say that Paul George demanded a trade from Sam Presti. Sure, you could keep PG, but would that be a good situation for anyone?

And, you're correct, the Thunder likely won't get PG or RW-caliber players from the picks that they received, but they have their own picks, they're going to tank, and they have the same personnel in place who drafted Durant, Westbrook, and Harden in the first place - so I think that all arguments about their abilities to draft well are pretty dang null.
Lakers have the best odds to win the championship in the entire league. They are sure as s*** making the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



StanfordAggie
Posts: 1523
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by StanfordAggie » July 11th, 2019, 7:26 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Lakers have the best odds to win the championship in the entire league. They are sure as s*** making the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do tend to agree that the most likely scenario is that the Lakers make the playoffs. But their lack of depth is their Achilles heel. If LeBron or Davis were to miss a significant amount of time due to an injury, it is not out of the question that they could miss the playoffs. And one could make a credible that they are more likely to miss the playoffs than other teams in the West for precisely this reason. If the Jazz lost (for example) Gobert for a significant length of time, they have enough depth that they might be able to limp into the playoffs anyway. But if the Lakers lost LeBron for a month or two, they could easily miss the playoffs entirely.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5303
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 2004AG » July 11th, 2019, 10:25 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Lakers have the best odds to win the championship in the entire league. They are sure as s*** making the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do tend to agree that the most likely scenario is that the Lakers make the playoffs. But their lack of depth is their Achilles heel. If LeBron or Davis were to miss a significant amount of time due to an injury, it is not out of the question that they could miss the playoffs. And one could make a credible that they are more likely to miss the playoffs than other teams in the West for precisely this reason. If the Jazz lost (for example) Gobert for a significant length of time, they have enough depth that they might be able to limp into the playoffs anyway. But if the Lakers lost LeBron for a month or two, they could easily miss the playoffs entirely.
The jazz are certainly a very deep team but your scenario applies to pretty much everybody. Blazers losing Lillard, Clippers losing Leonard, Curry, Harden etc and they don’t make the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 12th, 2019, 9:19 am

2004AG wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 10:25 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Lakers have the best odds to win the championship in the entire league. They are sure as s*** making the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do tend to agree that the most likely scenario is that the Lakers make the playoffs. But their lack of depth is their Achilles heel. If LeBron or Davis were to miss a significant amount of time due to an injury, it is not out of the question that they could miss the playoffs. And one could make a credible that they are more likely to miss the playoffs than other teams in the West for precisely this reason. If the Jazz lost (for example) Gobert for a significant length of time, they have enough depth that they might be able to limp into the playoffs anyway. But if the Lakers lost LeBron for a month or two, they could easily miss the playoffs entirely.
The jazz are certainly a very deep team but your scenario applies to pretty much everybody. Blazers losing Lillard, Clippers losing Leonard, Curry, Harden etc and they don’t make the playoffs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The difference is that LeBron turns 35 this year and only played 55 games last year. I agree that the Lakers are going to make the playoffs, but they aren't deep, man - and they are led by an aging star, so I could reasonably be talked into the fact that they might not make the playoffs.


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

User avatar
918AGG
Posts: 568
Joined: December 20th, 2012, 6:49 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by 918AGG » July 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

This is an undeniably excellent haul, and it isn't even over yet. I'm reading that the Thunder want to trade CP3 before the season starts... All hail Sam Presti! :notworthy:

Image


"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1926
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2019, 8:22 pm

918AGG wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm
This is an undeniably excellent haul, and it isn't even over yet. I'm reading that the Thunder want to trade CP3 before the season starts... All hail Sam Presti! :notworthy:

Image
And having 2 superstars are worth more than those picks. To answer your earlier question if Paul George plays as good as did before his injury, OKC would definitely make the playoffs. They were a top 3 team in the West at the all star break last year and George was incredible. A bunch of picks that will likely be outside of the top 20 almost certainly won't generate two superstars which they have given up. OKC should have retooled and built pieces around George and Westbrook and then blown it up in a few years. To give up after only two years is premature and unfair to your fans. This isn't as bad as when he traded Harden for Kevin Martin and a pick, but it is pretty bad. Very good chance Presti won't be there in a few years to decide those draft picks. Thunder fans aren't going to be happy with being in the toilet after being in the playoffs 10 ofthe last 11 years.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 262 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by dyedblue » July 12th, 2019, 8:57 pm

George demanded a trade. They could retool around him. Players hold all of the power these days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1926
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2019, 9:39 pm

dyedblue wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 8:57 pm
George demanded a trade. They could retool around him. Players hold all of the power these days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul George was locked in for two more years. He didn't have the leverage in the situation. If he wanted to not be there he should have left for LA as a free agent last year. If OKC was ready to trade him they could have traded him for another all star. They were a playoff team with two superstars who gave that up for a bunch of picks which will never amount to the players they gave up for. This isn't as bad as when Presti traded Harden. He gave up a potential dynasty with that move, but this is bad. The Thunder are not a team that can attract free agents. Having a bunch of sub-20 draft picks aren't going to change that or deliver them stars. They better hope they are smart in the draft and the lottery Gods shine on them.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic