The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
dyedblue

Re: The Utah Freaking Jazz...

Post by dyedblue » July 12th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Anthony Davis didn't have leverage with two years left either. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2019, 10:20 pm

dyedblue wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 10:06 pm
Anthony Davis didn't have leverage with two years left either. Right?

He only has one year left and the Pelicans didn't want to trade him to the Lakers. At the end of the day, the Lakers had by far the best package for him so they had to make the trade. OKC could have found another all star to put next to Westbrook instead of just going for the full blown rebuild. Paul George had the best season of his career last year. They did not have to blow it up. They also could have improved the team and traded him next Summer if he was still not satisfied.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 12th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Davis blew up the Pelicans last year mid season. Who's to say George wouldn't have done the same thing this year? Not much different than Davis and nobody was gong to OKC to build around George and Russ.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

dyedblue wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Davis blew up the Pelicans last year mid season. Who's to say George wouldn't have done the same thing this year? Not much different than Davis and nobody was gong to OKC to build around George and Russ.

They could have got players in trades which is what they initially planned on when they put Steven Adams on the market. Their salary cap situation was not where they could have attracted free agents, but they certainly could have made some moves. It was way too early to blow it up. The Anthony Davis situation proves you can get high value when a player has just one year left on his deal. Paul George's value would have been high next year as well and it also would be unlikely he would have caused the commotion that Davis did. He played hard for Indiana his last full year for them helping them make the playoffs. It wasn't a distraction like the Pelicans situation.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 13th, 2019, 9:06 am

The picks may or may not amount to a good player but getting those picks COMBINED with tanking, and I think Presti did a good job. Tanking can get them a superstar or two that they need.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 13th, 2019, 10:24 am

2004AG wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 9:06 am
The picks may or may not amount to a good player but getting those picks COMBINED with tanking, and I think Presti did a good job. Tanking can get them a superstar or two that they need.

Possibly, but they already have 2 superstars including an MVP finalist who probably would have won the MVP if he didn't get injured. Their window was now. With the current lottery you don't know where you will pick. The Cavs, Suns and Bulls had 3 of the 4 worst records and none had top 4 picks. The odds are long that they will get two players of the caliber they had last year anytime soon.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 14th, 2019, 2:01 pm

sneed wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:23 am
Lakers 4/1 - way too high.
Can you short the Lakers? I don't place sports bets, but I would bet a couple thou that the Lakers will NOT win it.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic