California law change?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

California law change?

Post by sam tingey » September 30th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Any thoughts on the law in cali about athletes getting endorsement deals?

I am actually ok with this. the big boys were already paying kids, so why not open it up to everyone? The only thing that i see as a problem would be locker room strife. how would you feel as a o-lineman protecting a dork that gets a paycheck only because he is the qb and gets recognized for that? I could see some resentment there.

thegreendalegelf

Re: California law change?

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I think lineman will get paid just fine. Just look at the NFL.

I love it. Pull the money from the back alley and make it over the table.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 30th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Naw, it sucks. If they wanna make money playing football, just let them go to the NFL.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Naw, it sucks. If they wanna make money playing football, just let them go to the NFL.
This isn't even them getting "paid" to play football. It is just that they own their own likeness and can have agents. USU wouldn't have to pay a penny. But Cache Valley Electric may have some billboards, ads, or pamphlets with J Love on them if this passed in Utah.

The bag man is a thing throughout all of college football. All levels. Lets get rid of that and let the kids make money off their own name.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm
This isn't even them getting "paid" to play football. It is just that they own their own likeness and can have agents. USU wouldn't have to pay a penny. But Cache Valley Electric may have some billboards, ads, or pamphlets with J Love on them if this passed in Utah.

The bag man is a thing throughout all of college football. All levels. Lets get rid of that and let the kids make money off their own name.
I get where you're coming from, but I still disagree. This type of thing will turn NCAA sports into the MLB. Inequality at all levels, more so than there already is.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm

September 30th, 2019, 1:55 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but I still disagree. This type of thing will turn NCAA sports into the MLB. Inequality at all levels, more so than there already is.
How would this make inequality much worse than it already is? Is LSU, Bama, USC, Ohio State, etc. really such saints that they aren't already paying their players massive sums already? These boosters at all levels aren't living by the rules today.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:

How would this make inequality much worse than it already is? Is LSU, Bama, USC, Ohio State, etc. really such saints that they aren't already paying their players massive sums already? These boosters at all levels aren't living by the rules today.
How could it not increase inequality? :crazy:

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:17 pm

When have you ever seen a commercial or other advertisement featuring a lineman? most lay fans don't know or recognize the big uglies

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 2:31 pm

sam tingey wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 1:17 pm

When have you ever seen a commercial or other advertisement featuring a lineman? most lay fans don't know or recognize the big uglies
But the schools and boosters are smart enough to know that if they can't bring in the lineman, getting skill players is empty. The big guys are gonna get paid. Gary would make sure of it.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm

2004AG wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Is this going to make USU any less likely to get 5 star guys? Does it make Bama any more likely? The inequality is massive already. Everyone is already cheating as much as they can. Putting that money on the table isn't going to make the inequality much worse. Its just going to make it so we know about it more. We can't pretend that USU is currently in any semblance of equality with the big guys. Changing this rule won't make it worse cause it can't get much worse.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I think it will be a disaster for College sports. I'm not interested in watching pro sports. This just inches it all towards that. The big boys get away with paying players because the NCAA is weak. They just want the money. It is pretty much like the Mexican government. If you think bag men will go away, you are crazy.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieflying_scotsman2.0

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 30th, 2019, 2:51 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:38 pm
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Is this going to make USU any less likely to get 5 star guys? Does it make Bama any more likely? The inequality is massive already. Everyone is already cheating as much as they can. Putting that money on the table isn't going to make the inequality much worse. Its just going to make it so we know about it more. We can't pretend that USU is currently in any semblance of equality with the big guys. Changing this rule won't make it worse cause it can't get much worse.

Using Alabama and Ohio State as examples isn't the problem. They are the extreme. 5 Star guys aren't the concern to Utah State. And yes, it can absolutely make it worse. What if we are going up against SDSU for a recruit? What about SJSU, Fresno, Etc

You're naïve if you don't think this will have far reaching negative consequences. Why do you care if college athletes get paid?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm

NFL could change it's stance and start allowing HS kids to join, maybe the NFL will create farm teams like AA Baseball. Imagine if they did, how much it would level the college playing field? No more SEC domination? LSU and USU would be a competitive FB game year in, year out? Wild.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 30th, 2019, 2:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:51 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Using Alabama and Ohio State as examples isn't the problem. They are the extreme. 5 Star guys aren't the concern to Utah State. And yes, it can absolutely make it worse. What if we are going up against SDSU for a recruit? What about SJSU, Fresno, Etc

You're naïve if you don't think this will have far reaching negative consequences. Why do you care if college athletes get paid?
Ah yes the famous local support of SJSU will finally be unleashed. And we can't just list California schools, if the NCAA lets it through every state will pass it and boom no more of an issue.

Why shouldn't these kids get paid for their own likeness? Most of these kids don't get to the NFL and should be able to own their own likeness. I want our kids to succeed on and off the court. Let capitalism work right? Let them get their market value.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 30th, 2019, 3:13 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:55 pm
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

Ah yes the famous local support of SJSU will finally be unleashed. And we can't just list California schools, if the NCAA lets it through every state will pass it and boom no more of an issue.

Why shouldn't these kids get paid for their own likeness? Most of these kids don't get to the NFL and should be able to own their own likeness. I want our kids to succeed on and off the court. Let capitalism work right? Let them get their market value.

SJSU actually recruits, on paper, better than we do.

It will still be an issue, even if every state allows it. Teams in big markets will have an unfair advantage.

Leave college sports for amateurs. I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss 4/5 years of free room/board/books/tuition. As if that amount is negligible. And if the athlete doesn't like it, he's welcome to not play. Nobody is forcing them to take the free scholarship.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
NVAggieflying_scotsman2.0

Full

California law change?

Post by Full » October 1st, 2019, 2:47 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:

If I’m the head coach at a high level.... I can’t say I wouldn’t let slip to an AAU coach how much in endorsements Devon Anderson, Dominik Eberle, Tipa Galeai, or Sam Merrill would get were he to transfer to my school. I know it’s there now, but this removes the floodgates.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 1st, 2019, 3:16 pm

Its gonna be awesome when a booster from USC offers Jordan Love, after only 4 games and after their two top QB's are injured, that he can be the face of his car dealership, if he will transfer to USC.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2019, 8:06 am

2004AG wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 3:16 pm
Its gonna be awesome when a booster from USC offers Jordan Love, after only 4 games and after their two top QB's are injured, that he can be the face of his car dealership, if he will transfer to USC.
Why would a USC booster do that? these aren't career ending injuries and Jordan wouldn't be eligible for at least a year and is likely to just go to the NFL. This type of situation isn't a concern. Now yeah, they could have offered a sponsorship after last season, but Jordan wouldn't be able to grad transfer at that time, so he would have had to have waited a year and would have likely stuck around because he wants to get to the NFL sooner rather than later.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Why would a USC booster do that? these aren't career ending injuries and Jordan wouldn't be eligible for at least a year and is likely to just go to the NFL. This type of situation isn't a concern. Now yeah, they could have offered a sponsorship after last season, but Jordan wouldn't be able to grad transfer at that time, so he would have had to have waited a year and would have likely stuck around because he wants to get to the NFL sooner rather than later.
The point being, which you’re missing, is nothing is going to stop boosters from USC and UCLA etc from buying players from schools like us. That puts us at an even worse disadvantage.

The 4 game redshirt shirt rule will exacerbate the problem even more. Nevada just had a player leave after 4 game with the intention of transferring up. He basically used Nevada to get experience and go get tape to promote himself and then quit.

It’s going to ruin college sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2019, 8:42 am

2004AG wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:27 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:
The point being, which you’re missing, is nothing is going to stop boosters from USC and UCLA etc from buying players from schools like us. That puts us at an even worse disadvantage.

The 4 game redshirt shirt rule will exacerbate the problem even more. Nevada just had a player leave after 4 game with the intention of transferring up. He basically used Nevada to get experience and go get tape to promote himself and then quit.

The point being, which you're missing, is that it is already happening and this won't change anything.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 2nd, 2019, 10:17 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:42 am
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The point being, which you're missing, is that it is already happening and this won't change anything.
Its not happening on the scale that its going to START happening.

So why make it easier on the USC's of the world? Why would we want the gap to widen? Should we do things that reduce the gap, or increase it?

Cigarettes are illegal for kids, but they still get them and still smoke them. Should we make it easier for kids to smoke and get alcohol, or harder? Should we make it easier for the USC's of the world to poach and recruit or harder for them?

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » October 2nd, 2019, 10:21 am

Under this new law, can a booster pay Nick Emery in Jetta's and Disneyland trips if that is the going rate of his likeness? Or does it have to be cash?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 10:26 am

Using the term "like" and Nick Emery in the same sentence doesn't work. His likeness factor is 0.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2019, 11:41 am

2004AG wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 10:17 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:42 am
2004AG wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Its not happening on the scale that its going to START happening.

So why make it easier on the USC's of the world? Why would we want the gap to widen? Should we do things that reduce the gap, or increase it?

Cigarettes are illegal for kids, but they still get them and still smoke them. Should we make it easier for kids to smoke and get alcohol, or harder? Should we make it easier for the USC's of the world to poach and recruit or harder for them?
Probably cause it makes it easier on the Utah States of the world too? It can be nice to be the big fish in a small pond. Jordan can get more attention and value being the starter at USU as a freshman than waiting till his senior year to start at USC (if he does get that shot.)

Say a recruit is debating between USU and USC. First of all we don't win that battle often. But offering the big fish in the small pond is what we can offer. Does that win many over? no. Does that change anything to how it was before? no. Does the kid get better money on all sides? yes. Can the kid run camps at his high school under his name now which can offer more potential interest in USU by other recruits? yes.

The system is already rigged out of our favor. This doesn't move the scales.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 12:44 pm

There is a reason why professional athletes want to get into the big markets. There is more endorsement money in LA, CHI, and NY. The small town schools are going to get screwed. Being for this means being for the demise of USU athletics, IN MY OPINION.

Locked Previous topicNext topic