Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1768
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm

High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2391
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 500 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 8th, 2019, 6:18 pm

That’s brutal. 1 year? Wow.


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16564
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 790 times
Been thanked: 697 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Favero didn't last long as our offensive guru in the film room.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
sneed



blueblood
Posts: 319
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by blueblood » November 8th, 2019, 10:44 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:That’s brutal. 1 year? Wow.
I’m sure there are folks on here that are much more connected than me. Ridgeline played my sons team this year and I spoke with a couple Ridgeline dads that I went to HS with. They both seemed happy with Travis and the way things were trending. For a HS team, one year doesn’t seem long enough.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14379
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by brownjeans » November 8th, 2019, 10:59 pm

Is Favero to Ridgeline a rumor or speculation?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4348 times
Been thanked: 2498 times
Contact:

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by aggies22 » November 9th, 2019, 9:43 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, an assistant coach hired by Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his win/loss record.
Last edited by aggies22 on November 9th, 2019, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5890
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 308 times
Contact:

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by TheAKAggie » November 9th, 2019, 9:49 am

This makes much more sense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8850
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 437 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by ViAggie » November 9th, 2019, 10:05 am

That would be some very poor judgement. That also displays his youth and inexperience at the HC position, he probably rose up the ranks too quick. Hope he learns from his mistakes and lands on his feet. If this is the case.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2391
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 500 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 9th, 2019, 10:23 am

Ah, dang. Hope the concussed kid is OK.

Speaking as an ambulance chaser, the kid could bring a claim against the school.


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
Gretsch
Posts: 1307
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 12:54 am
Location: Heber, Ut
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by Gretsch » November 9th, 2019, 12:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his record.
I thought that was the assist head coach/d coach that shamed the kid into playing but clearly TVL is ultimately responsible if anyone on his staff did it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk




aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4348 times
Been thanked: 2498 times
Contact:

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by aggies22 » November 9th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Gretsch wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his record.
I thought that was the assist head coach/d coach that shamed the kid into playing but clearly TVL is ultimately responsible if anyone on his staff did it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I didn't hear anything about an assistant coach but I'll see if I can get some clarification. Clearly Travis is being held liable.



User avatar
Gretsch
Posts: 1307
Joined: October 6th, 2011, 12:54 am
Location: Heber, Ut
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by Gretsch » November 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm


aggies22 wrote:
Gretsch wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his record.
I thought that was the assist head coach/d coach that shamed the kid into playing but clearly TVL is ultimately responsible if anyone on his staff did it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I didn't hear anything about an assistant coach but I'll see if I can get some clarification. Clearly Travis is being held liable.
Articles I read on HJNews and KSL both mentioned a defensive coach
The lawsuit states that then-senior Konnor Finn had experienced a “helmet-to-helmet hit” during practice on Oct. 11, 2017, and then complained of concussion symptoms to the defensive line coach. That coach allegedly told him to “man up,” “quit being a (expletive)” and “get back out there.”
Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk




aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4348 times
Been thanked: 2498 times
Contact:

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by aggies22 » November 9th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Gretsch wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Gretsch wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his record.
I thought that was the assist head coach/d coach that shamed the kid into playing but clearly TVL is ultimately responsible if anyone on his staff did it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I didn't hear anything about an assistant coach but I'll see if I can get some clarification. Clearly Travis is being held liable.
Articles I read on HJNews and KSL both mentioned a defensive coach
The lawsuit states that then-senior Konnor Finn had experienced a “helmet-to-helmet hit” during practice on Oct. 11, 2017, and then complained of concussion symptoms to the defensive line coach. That coach allegedly told him to “man up,” “quit being a (expletive)” and “get back out there.”
Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Ok. I amended my original post.



JohnnyAg
Posts: 9
Joined: September 27th, 2013, 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by JohnnyAg » November 9th, 2019, 8:38 pm

The previous coaching staff is named in the lawsuit. It mentions Stu Howell.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... sports.pdf



blueblood
Posts: 319
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by blueblood » November 9th, 2019, 9:19 pm

JohnnyAg wrote:The previous coaching staff is named in the lawsuit. It mentions Stu Howell.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... sports.pdf
I was told by my HS buddies whose kids play for Ridgeline that the old staff was fired because of the concussion lawsuit. Then Ridgeline when and hired Travis away from Logan High.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9264
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4348 times
Been thanked: 2498 times
Contact:

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by aggies22 » November 10th, 2019, 5:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 9:43 am
aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm
High School sports are becoming cut throat, letting a guy go after just one season at 4-8. Opening the door for Mike Favero, the best high school football coach the valley has ever seen?
I don't know yet if Mike Favero is a legitimate candidate or not. Unfortunately, from what I understand, an assistant coach hired by Travis displayed some poor judgment and basically shamed (name-calling) a kid that had suffered a concussion into continuing to play for several weeks. The issue came to light when an opposing coach noticed that the kid didn't seem right and had him removed from the game and checked out. It had nothing to do with his win/loss record.
First off I apologize for my post above, a source that is usually spot-on and got a few details wrong. I'm sorry for leaving potentially misleading information.

So my source on this one accidentally placed the 2019 coaching staff as the source of the concussion incident. Travis Van Leeuwen and his staff WERE NOT involved at all. The 2018 coaching staff that featured Chris Howell as the Head Coach and Stu Howell as the defensive coordinator are who are being looked at in regards to the concussion incident. Chris Howell is the current Head Coach out at Sky View.

I'm hearing that Travis Van Leeuwen was having a tough time with the difficult season that his team endured and that the school chose to part ways with him and his staff.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5878
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 277 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by Imakeitrain » November 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm

This does demonstrate that we probably need to drastically reform how we do HS football in the US.

One thing is for sure, is HS sports have gotten better- but not by nearly enough.

When I was in HS, we were "just learning" that when it's 90 degrees with high humidity in the middle of August, it's a good idea to drink water.

I remember getting a concussion in practice, the athletic trainers pulled me off the field and 15 minutes later the Varsity Head Coach freaks out about me not practicing- so I run back on to the field, with my head still ringing.

Our lifting program was basically "here is a bar, pick it up". My Freshman year I almost lost my finger because they made us lift in our position groups- they went over for like 2 minutes on "How to lift"- then all of a sudden they expected me to squat 3 plates. I did say I wasn't comfortable lifting 3 plates, but I was terrified of the position group coach, and I didn't want to be anymore in the way. Unfortunately for my finger it was smashed between the bar and the spotter arms.

If I had kids who wanted to play football, I'm not sure I say yes. I think a lot of schools are better than my HS, but I know my HS isn't the only one like this. This wasn't that long ago.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5429
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 10th, 2019, 10:17 pm

There was a time when coaches thought it toughened up the kids to make them go without water in practice. Which would today be looked at as stupidity.



sockpuppet
Posts: 1152
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by sockpuppet » November 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

Sometimes coaches and educators are fired, or even resign by text to their administrators ahead of being fired, because they continually do not show up for work and it gets to the point where other educators start to complain of the inconsistencies in policy enforcement thinking coaches are favoured over non coaches...forcing the administrator's hand.



Bigd23
Posts: 54
Joined: August 30th, 2015, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Ridgeline fires Van Leeuwen?

Post by Bigd23 » November 16th, 2019, 7:16 am

Van Leeuwen wasn't fired over wins and losses and the concussion incident was under the old coaching staff. I don't know the details because I chose not to ask, but I've heard from multiple sources that locker room issues and other things were at play to lead to the coaching change.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




Locked Previous topicNext topic