Rooting for the Utes to make CFP?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

Re: Rooting for the Utes to make CFP?

Post by NowhereLandAggie » December 6th, 2019, 11:57 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 11:01 am
I have always pulled for Utah. I was upset when they stopped play us in football and basketball and quit caring, but to be honest and after thinking about it, I do not want to schedule them in football going forward, until we have the revenue to stop playing a money game adding Utah means another game with a school that has many times more revenue than what we do. We need to offer coach's and players as level a playing field as possible. Games with P-5 for money, a game with YBU, and Utah, plus a MWC schedule is to much.
I didn't care that they stopped playing football a ton. It would be fun on a good year, but with them having only 3 OOC games, I did understand why. What you stated makes sense too, it was a lot to handle playing both those schools and usually ending up with 2 losses, plus a money game made it 3. That gave just a few games or bowl eligibility was gone. Until 2011, the FB team had a grand total of 2 winning seasons in 30+ years, and that was a major reason why.

Having said that, I can't say I pull for them. With the exception of Ray Giacoletti, their BB coaches have been complete dirtbags dating back to the 80's. Don't like the BB program, the only time I ever cheered for them was during their finals run in '98. Other than that, not really. There was no reason for them to cancel the BB games, so I do actively hope they lose lots on the hardwood.

My good friend just got the job as the PA announcer at Rice Eccles though. I am happy for him, he has been a long time supporter of their program, so I do hope so for him.

Plus it would be good to tick off Paul Finebaum and let him have the wrath of the "25 Utah fans." But no I never have liked them much, hate is a strong word for anything as unimportant as sports, but I don't generally care if they win or lose.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 6th, 2019, 12:06 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 11:57 am
oleblu111 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 11:01 am
I have always pulled for Utah. I was upset when they stopped play us in football and basketball and quit caring, but to be honest and after thinking about it, I do not want to schedule them in football going forward, until we have the revenue to stop playing a money game adding Utah means another game with a school that has many times more revenue than what we do. We need to offer coach's and players as level a playing field as possible. Games with P-5 for money, a game with YBU, and Utah, plus a MWC schedule is to much.
I didn't care that they stopped playing football a ton. It would be fun on a good year, but with them having only 3 OOC games, I did understand why. What you stated makes sense too, it was a lot to handle playing both those schools and usually ending up with 2 losses, plus a money game made it 3. That gave just a few games or bowl eligibility was gone. Until 2011, the FB team had a grand total of 2 winning seasons in 30+ years, and that was a major reason why.

Having said that, I can't say I pull for them. With the exception of Ray Giacoletti, their BB coaches have been complete dirtbags dating back to the 80's. Don't like the BB program, the only time I ever cheered for them was during their finals run in '98. Other than that, not really. There was no reason for them to cancel the BB games, so I do actively hope they lose lots on the hardwood.

My good friend just got the job as the PA announcer at Rice Eccles though. I am happy for him, he has been a long time supporter of their program, so I do hope so for him.

Plus it would be good to tick off Paul Finebaum and let him have the wrath of the "25 Utah fans." But no I never have liked them much, hate is a strong word for anything as unimportant as sports, but I don't generally care if they win or lose.
I went to school at The U, but being transfered to Logan made me a aggie. I agree completely with basketball scheduling, and as much as I like the U football staff I dislike their basketball staff.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 6th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I really don't want any more success for Utah, but I also hate Paul Finebaum and all the east coast/southern football elitists and I would like to see a team from the west win the CFP one year. I also think Utah is one of the only teams that can compete with the teams that will be in the playoffs. Utah is built more like an SEC team this year than LSU. So for as much as I hate the Utes I am so tired of Ohio State and Clemson. At least GA or LSU will be in there this year and not Alabama, but a west coast team needs to finally win one of these.

ususports

Post by ususports » December 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Utes so poo poo. Thoroughly enjoyed this game!
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
calaggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 6th, 2019, 9:50 pm

:lol:
ususports wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm
:lol:
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
calaggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 6th, 2019, 10:12 pm

ususports wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm
What do you mean? They didn't win like this billboard in Salt Lake says?

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » December 6th, 2019, 10:17 pm

How'd that work out for you, closet Ute fans? Now you're sad AND you won't be able to look yourself in the mirror tomorrow morning.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 6th, 2019, 11:03 pm

This result is better than I could have hoped for.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » December 7th, 2019, 9:02 am

[This result is better than I could have hoped for.]
This x1000!!😂

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » December 7th, 2019, 1:19 pm

A lady next to me on my flight last night bought wifi to keep track of the game. It was so great peeking down at her phone, seeing the score, and noticing her shift and sigh uncomfortably throughout the flight. I kept my mouth shut but definitely enjoyed it.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 10:17 pm
How'd that work out for you, closet Ute fans? Now you're sad AND you won't be able to look yourself in the mirror tomorrow morning.
If you mean me well of course I wanted a win, but it did not happen so life goes on. I know a lot of Ute fans not one wishes the aggie's to lose. Aggie fans are a different bunch, I for one want BYU to win every game except for USU and Utah.

Is all this hate envy or inferiority complex of some kind ? You should be proud of your school and do all you can to improve it, but wishing ill for others does not speak well of anyone.

As for me I adopted the aggie's and have watched and hoped alum's would really make USU special with big crowds and big victories. I have done much more for USU than what I should have, but it has been fun.Still waiting for the big crowds.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AGinNEIowa

calaggie

Post by calaggie » December 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
If you mean me well of course I wanted a win, but it did not happen so life goes on. I know a lot of Ute fans not one wishes the aggie's to lose. Aggie fans are a different bunch, I for one want BYU to win every game except for USU and Utah.

Is all this hate envy or inferiority complex of some kind ? You should be proud of your school and do all you can to improve it, but wishing ill for others does not speak well of anyone.

As for me I adopted the aggie's and have watched and hoped alum's would really make USU special with big crowds and big victories. I have done much more for USU than what I should have, but it has been fun.Still waiting for the big crowds.
Hmmmm, maybe it’s because the Aggies didn’t conspire with BYU for decades to keep the Utes out of the only western conference that made any sense for them.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » December 7th, 2019, 7:27 pm

No way do I want them in the ESPN college football sham. I hope they lose to Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 7th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Their tears are delicious. 😋

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 7th, 2019, 9:00 pm

calaggie wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 7:01 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:

Hmmmm, maybe it’s because the Aggies didn’t conspire with BYU for decades to keep the Utes out of the only western conference that made any sense for them.
Perhaps you do not know that USU was invited to the formation of the WAC, but your president did not show up. Or Perhaps when Reed Bullen was president of the senate, and Frank Gunnel was speaker of the House they told your president they had the votes to force Utah and the aggies to be in the same conference, but the USU President decided not to go that route ? Blame goes both ways in that. Source level ex USU A.D.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » December 7th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Source, or it’s a lie. Proof or it’s a lie. Convenient scenario for a Ute apologist. Ladell Anderson (also a former USU AD) doesn’t agree with your source. And, even if your proposed scenario has some veracity, it doesn’t change the fact that Utah and BYU conspired for decades to exclude usu from the WAC. PLEASE, just acknowledge you’re a Ute fan, already.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2019, 10:23 am

You can be a fan of both you know. I have given USU thousands of dollars over the years so I do not feel the need to justify why I do not have hate for other instate schools, I'm not LDS and I have not where near the passion against them as my aggie fans do. Aggie fans need to build their school up If Utah and the aggies were to play again I would have no trouble going all in for USU.

As far as Lies go can you prove any of the conspiracy theories ? It may have happened but it is hard to prove. What I told you of the two times when USU could have got into the conference I believe to be true given the source of information. I believe even Anderson knew of the attempt of Gunnel and Bullen.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 8th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I was glad Oregon smoked them. Ii is always a tough choice when they play BYU. Their fans are more arrogant than the zoobs.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 9th, 2019, 7:53 am

I've just chosen not to really care one way or another. I know good BYU fans, and I know good Ute fans. I am gracious around them just as they are with me. I know what administrations are doing. I just don't really care.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 13th, 2019, 9:39 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 11:20 pm
I was glad Oregon smoked them. Ii is always a tough choice when they play BYU. Their fans are more arrogant than the zoobs.
For years I chose Utah over byu (just in that game) but in the last decade utah has been far worse to USU than byu has.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 13th, 2019, 9:45 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 10:23 am
You can be a fan of both you know. I have given USU thousands of dollars over the years so I do not feel the need to justify why I do not have hate for other instate schools, I'm not LDS and I have not where near the passion against them as my aggie fans do. Aggie fans need to build their school up If Utah and the aggies were to play again I would have no trouble going all in for USU.

As far as Lies go can you prove any of the conspiracy theories ? It may have happened but it is hard to prove. What I told you of the two times when USU could have got into the conference I believe to be true given the source of information. I believe even Anderson knew of the attempt of Gunnel and Bullen.
It sounds like you are a Utah first Aggie second fan and some of your other posts make sense now. You can be a fan of whoever you want, it is just sports afterall. Don't however play into the bogus nonsense that Utah and byu didn't screw over USU for decades when it came to the WAC.

Also don't play into the nonsense that Utah shouldn't play USU in football and basketball. USU beat Utah in 2012 and barely lost in 2013 and 2015. Utah plays a joke of an ooc schedule. Sorry if you believe Northern Illinois and Idaho State are more worthy opponents for your mighty Utes. Also basketball is even more of a joke. There is zero reason why the in-state teams shouldn't play each other. You play double digit ooc games. Utah has played a pretty bad ooc schedule over really the past decade. Not including USU home and home is weak and sleazy.

The fact is USU has built up their programs in both sports. We are in our 8th bowl game in 9 years and won 11 games last year. We were an 8th seed in the NCAA tournament last year and are nationally ranked this year. The "woe little USU" or "Everybody needs to donate millions for us to improve" doesn't really work. For my faults with various things in our athletic department, we have solid programs in the two major sports.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 13th, 2019, 11:25 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 9:45 am
oleblu111 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 10:23 am

It sounds like you are a Utah first Aggie second fan and some of your other posts make sense now. You can be a fan of whoever you want, it is just sports afterall. Don't however play into the bogus nonsense that Utah and byu didn't screw over USU for decades when it came to the WAC.

Also don't play into the nonsense that Utah shouldn't play USU in football and basketball. USU beat Utah in 2012 and barely lost in 2013 and 2015. Utah plays a joke of an ooc schedule. Sorry if you believe Northern Illinois and Idaho State are more worthy opponents for your mighty Utes. Also basketball is even more of a joke. There is zero reason why the in-state teams shouldn't play each other. You play double digit ooc games. Utah has played a pretty bad ooc schedule over really the past decade. Not including USU home and home is weak and sleazy.

The fact is USU has built up their programs in both sports. We are in our 8th bowl game in 9 years and won 11 games last year. We were an 8th seed in the NCAA tournament last year and are nationally ranked this year. The "woe little USU" or "Everybody needs to donate millions for us to improve" doesn't really work. For my faults with various things in our athletic department, we have solid programs in the two major sports.

Ok here is the truth I am a aggie first I have given the school enough money that I was given special recognition for my support of USU football. I do not need to justify my aggie support to any one.

Yes WE did beat the Utes in 2012 in Logan in over time great win with a 5-7 Utah team. When I see USU still playing a body bag game for needed money plus BYU, BSU and the rest of the MWC I do not see the need to put the Utes back on the schedule until we can give the coach a more level playing field, scheduling 4 or more likely losses is not fair to any coach. If we could ever not play a revenue game and replace it with the U that would be fine with me. Utah is chicken $hit not to play us in basketball period.

As fair as a conspiracy goes that is very possible, however USU did have two chances to gain membership in the WAC, I'm as sure of that as you are about the conspiracy.

If we look at the record in football games against our revenue game and BYU, BSU do we need to add another game that we most likely will lose ? Do we expect our coach to have a winning record with that kind of schedule ? Again if we get to the point where we do not need the money game, than I would be fine with USU even using the state government to force a football series with the Utes.

I have met Kyle W. and I really like him. I respect what the Utes have done in fan support and facilities. I did not think they could win in the Pac-12, but they have. I also feel pride that USU has done as well as we have in the MWC, USU does more with less than any school I can think of. I like the Utes but Love the Aggies.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Glad you agree we should be playing Utah every year in basketball. I can't speak for any other Aggie fans, but I'll say I would rather us play Utah every year. This year we played Wake Forest. That game could easily have been replaced for Utah. Would we have beat Utah this year? No. We've lost to Utah 14 of the last 15 times we played them, but despite that the game needs to be played.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 18th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm
Glad you agree we should be playing Utah every year in basketball. I can't speak for any other Aggie fans, but I'll say I would rather us play Utah every year. This year we played Wake Forest. That game could easily have been replaced for Utah. Would we have beat Utah this year? No. We've lost to Utah 14 of the last 15 times we played them, but despite that the game needs to be played.
I just do not want to saddle a coach with to many games with school that have many times more revenue than what USU has it just is not fair as I said if USU did not need to play a revenue game every year then a game with the Utes makes sense to me.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

I was glad when Oregon smoked them.. I root for the Utes to win 1 game only, and that is even a struggle. They are pompous and arrogant, I would love a 1-11 year from them.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Agalicious
Has thanked: 0

Post by Agalicious » December 23rd, 2019, 8:04 pm

The ugly sister (usu) jealous of the gorgeous sister......Utah. Such a sad storyline

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 23rd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Agalicious wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:04 pm
The ugly sister (usu) jealous of the gorgeous sister......Utah. Such a sad storyline
Maybe not ugly... Maybe instead homely.

But jealous, no doubt. And that's not pretty.
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
crazywookie

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 28th, 2019, 10:02 am

BearLakeMonster wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 11:01 pm
Agalicious wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:04 pm
Maybe not ugly... Maybe instead homely.

But jealous, no doubt. And that's not pretty.
I am not jealous of the Utes. Never have been. I just don't like them at all. I was born in Hyrum.....but we moved to the SLC area (SE) when I was 4. I have lived with Ute and Y fans all my life. I will never cheer for the Utes under any circumstances. I have not liked them for 60 years and can't ever remember wanting them to win. They are elitist, pompous, arrogant and disingenuous. They talk down their noses to everyone in the state now.
The only time I want the Y to win is when they play the U.

Rooting for the Utes to make CFP???? Never in a million years!

Locked Previous topicNext topic