Down the road idea for a 10-team conference

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
SLB

Down the road idea for a 10-team conference

Post by SLB » April 1st, 2020, 10:50 am

Imagine this 10-team conference
Utah State
BYU
Boise State
Southern Utah
UNLV
New Mexico
San Diego State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Air Force
Who would like to see this?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Down the road idea for a 10-team conference

Post by NVAggie » April 1st, 2020, 11:02 am

Nope

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 1st, 2020, 11:20 am

Huh? Southern Utah?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 1st, 2020, 11:23 am

What advantage does SUU provide over SJSU or Wyo? I'm all in on dropping SJSU and/or Wyoming but why add back in something that provides even less than those two?

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » April 1st, 2020, 11:29 am

This is a troll message. I can't even.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 1st, 2020, 11:31 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:23 am
What advantage does SUU provide over SJSU or Wyo? I'm all in on dropping SJSU and/or Wyoming but why add back in something that provides even less than those two?
I don’t know why you would get rid of Wyoming.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » April 1st, 2020, 11:58 am

slcagg wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:31 am
Aglicious wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 11:23 am
I don’t know why you would get rid of Wyoming.
Or Nevada.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 1st, 2020, 12:22 pm

I would drop SUU and BYU and add back in Wyo and Nev. SUU doesn't add anything and the other team is too big a pain in the arse to deal with as neighbors, why would I want them living in my house?

Then I'd probably add back in Hawaii for football. Mostly cuz they do ok and we get to go to Hawaii every few years.

Then maybe add a patsy team, maybe a rival for Fresno St. someone who geographically would make sense. I'll think on that one. 🤔

Other than that, I like it 😁
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
USU78LKGatesaggiesdotcom

Go Aggies!

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » April 1st, 2020, 1:20 pm

SLB wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:50 am
Imagine this 10-team conference
Utah State
BYU
Boise State
Southern Utah
UNLV
New Mexico
San Diego State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Air Force
Who would like to see this?
Why not add in Dixie and Northern Colorado to bump it up to 12 teams? :sarcasm:
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
LKGates

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 1st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Can we find a way to get Weber State, Idaho State, and Utah Valley in this conference?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
LKGates

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

My favorite part when this topic inevitably comes up every couple weeks, is the notion that we don't want to be in a conference with byu and that byu wouldn't be admitted to the MW, if they wanted to.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

WHO?
WHERE?
WHY?
WHAAAAAAT?
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
LKGates

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ususports

Post by ususports » April 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm
My favorite part when this topic inevitably comes up every couple weeks, is the notion that we don't want to be in a conference with byu and that byu wouldn't be admitted to the MW, if they wanted to.
Agreed. All you have to do is look at the ticket sales when we play them to know it benefits us to have them on the schedule, and it would be very beneficial to be in the same conference. For some reason, people on here get an erection by saying we would be just as well off scheduling other teams, followed by complaining about attendance when we have thousands of empty seats for other games.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
sstrasseroleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 1st, 2020, 5:18 pm

ususports wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm
2004AG wrote:
Agreed. All you have to do is look at the ticket sales when we play them to know it benefits us to have them on the schedule, and it would be very beneficial to be in the same conference. For some reason, people on here get an erection by saying we would be just as well off scheduling other teams, followed by complaining about attendance when we have thousands of empty seats for other games.
Look we all hate byu. I hate byu as bad as anybody.

But I love Utah State, and unfortunately being in a conference with assholes like byu and boise state, benefit us. Being with New Mexico State, Idaho, and SUU damages us. Whether we like it or not, boise and byu bring national recognition. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
oleblu111

SLB

Post by SLB » April 1st, 2020, 6:18 pm

My guess is that SUU will expand by a lot with so much growth nearby. It is something to an eye on, and as I said in the post down the road.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 2nd, 2020, 9:23 am

SLB wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 6:18 pm
My guess is that SUU will expand by a lot with so much growth nearby. It is something to an eye on, and as I said in the post down the road.
I am currently living in St. George and I assure you that the growth is happening at Dixie. I think they will surpass SUU on all fronts, academics, athletics, research, within the next 5-10 years. St. George/Washington county is one of the fastest growing places in the US.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 3):
SLBsstrasseraggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » April 2nd, 2020, 11:50 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 9:23 am
SLB wrote:
I am currently living in St. George and I assure you that the growth is happening at Dixie. I think they will surpass SUU on all fronts, academics, athletics, research, within the next 5-10 years. St. George/Washington county is one of the fastest growing places in the US.
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
I wanted to mainly point out that Southern Utah area is growing a lot, and I would not be surprised by them going up in the world of college sports.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm

SLB wrote:
Until you run out of water. And don't expect the rest of us to pay for the Unicorn Pipeline to bring Lake Powell to Washington County.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 7th, 2020, 10:00 am

LKGates wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm
SLB wrote:
Until you run out of water. And don't expect the rest of us to pay for the Unicorn Pipeline to bring Lake Powell to Washington County.
What a strange turn of events... did I offend you by my statement about growth in Washington county, or are you truly concerned that they are going to use your tax dollars to build a pipe from lake Powell to southwestern utah?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 7th, 2020, 9:59 pm

April 7th, 2020, 10:00 am
LKGates wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm
SLB wrote:
What a strange turn of events... did I offend you by my statement about growth in Washington county, or are you truly concerned that they are going to use your tax dollars to build a pipe from lake Powell to southwestern utah?
I was thinking the same thing.
It was really a :wtf: moment.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 7th, 2020, 10:34 pm

ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:
If ticket sales is all that matters when it comes to those losers, then we already get what we want out of them. A full house every other year without having to add the tools as a conference mate.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0ShowMeAggie

ususports

Post by ususports » April 8th, 2020, 7:48 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 10:34 pm
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:
If ticket sales is all that matters when it comes to those losers, then we already get what we want out of them. A full house every other year without having to add the tools as a conference mate.
You wouldn’t be slightly intrigued to have home and home in the same season every year in basketball, and to have potential conference championship implications to increase the emotions of games in both football and basketball? No one likes to admit it, but just like Boise State, they would add value to the conference TV deal. They are tools, and I hate them as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of benefits that would come from it. Not going to happen because of their pride and ego, but to say we wouldn’t benefit is not accurate (in my opinion).
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0oleblu111

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 8th, 2020, 10:46 am

ususports wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 7:48 am
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:
You wouldn’t be slightly intrigued to have home and home in the same season every year in basketball, and to have potential conference championship implications to increase the emotions of games in both football and basketball? No one likes to admit it, but just like Boise State, they would add value to the conference TV deal. They are tools, and I hate them as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of benefits that would come from it. Not going to happen because of their pride and ego, but to say we wouldn’t benefit is not accurate (in my opinion).
I think the fact that we have become more competitive in both sports in the last decade adds plenty of fuel to a rivalry where
I think most fans really don't care for each other. I think the risks of adding/joining a conference that includes byu far outweigh any benefit. Those tools have been instrumental in blowing up every conference they have been affiliated with, including blowing up conferences that they've helped create. That school is 100% out for themselves and they don't give a damn who they trample over in their pursuit of whatever it is that they are looking for because it sure hasn't been conference domination lately. But this is just one dudes opinion.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2020, 11:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:
I think the fact that we have become more competitive in both sports in the last decade adds plenty of fuel to a rivalry where
I think most fans really don't care for each other. I think the risks of adding/joining a conference that includes byu far outweigh any benefit. Those tools have been instrumental in blowing up every conference they have been affiliated with, including blowing up conferences that they've helped create. That school is 100% out for themselves and they don't give a damn who they trample over in their pursuit of whatever it is that they are looking for because it sure hasn't been conference domination lately. But this is just one dudes opinion.
I have a two part question.

1- what are the risks?

2- if the risk is that they are in it for themselves and would blow up the conference and/or create instability, how is that risk greater with them in the conference and mitigated or reduced outside of the conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oleblu111

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 8th, 2020, 11:27 am

2004AG wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 11:19 am
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

2- if the risk is that they are in it for themselves and would blow up the conference and/or create instability, how is that risk greater with them in the conference and mitigated or reduced outside of the conference?

1 - If history were to repeat itself and those tools got their way, we would be left on the outside looking in and once again we would be left in a less than ideal conference.

2 - In my opinion as long as they are still independent as it currently stands they are the ones on the outside looking in. Nearly half the teams in the Mountain West still fill their football schedule and as long as they aren't a member of a conference they aren't able to cause any ill will amongst the members and attempt to break up another conference. Don't invite the devil into your house.
Aggie19

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2020, 11:44 am

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

1 - If history were to repeat itself and those tools got their way, we would be left on the outside looking in and once again we would be left in a less than ideal conference.

2 - In my opinion as long as they are still independent as it currently stands they are the ones on the outside looking in. Nearly half the teams in the Mountain West still fill their football schedule and as long as they aren't a member of a conference they aren't able to cause any ill will amongst the members and attempt to break up another conference. Don't invite the devil into your house.
Thanks.

I agree 100% with hating BYU. I guess, IMO, I think because they are on the outside they are more likely to blow everything up to get on the “inside”.

Like right now they could try to steal Boise and CSU and try to join the AAC in an attempt to get on the “inside”, but I think the odds of them doing that are less if they were already on the “inside” in the MW. (If they joined the MW, the conference would be better than the AAC anyways)

Who knows though.

oleblu111

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 8th, 2020, 11:50 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 11:27 am
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

This X 1000!

Would they make the conference stronger? No doubt. Would they screw us and everyone else in the conference over given the chance? No doubt. They've done it before and they'd do it again.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 8th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

This X 1000!

Would they make the conference stronger? No doubt. Would they screw us and everyone else in the conference over given the chance? No doubt. They've done it before and they'd do it again.
X 1000% ??

You are that sure that the odds of byu creating instability go up exponentially with them as members of the MW? But there’s almost zero risk of them blowing up the MW if they aren’t members ?

I don’t see it. Either they have the power to pull away Boise and SDSU or whoever, and blow up the MW, or they don’t. I don’t think their conference affiliation, or lack thereof changes anything. They will create instability and chaos wherever they are or aren’t. Unfortunately they have a lot of power. “Keep you’re friends close and your enemies closer”.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

This X 1000!

X 1000% ??

You are that sure that the odds of byu creating instability go up exponentially with them as members of the MW? But there’s almost zero risk of them blowing up the MW if they aren’t members ?

I don’t see it. Either they have the power to pull away Boise and SDSU or whoever, and blow up the MW, or they don’t. I don’t think their conference affiliation, or lack thereof changes anything. They will create instability and chaos wherever they are or aren’t. Unfortunately they have a lot of power. “Keep you’re friends close and your enemies closer”.

You are correct in what you believe about Byu, as a member of the MWC they would be a plus for the national T.V. deal, local media coverage would increase for USU. Revenue for a home conference game in football and a yearly home game in basketball do nothing but help. I would push for a partial membership for them in all sports with a scheduling agreement in football if a full membership does not work out for them. USU only gains with them in the same conference.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 8th, 2020, 5:26 pm

I wonder if they would get the same amount of extra cash every year as Boise or if they'd get more? You know, with that national presence and all.

Go Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 8th, 2020, 6:31 pm

The stench, with others, killed the Skyline.
The stench, with others, killed the bwc.
The stench, with others, killed the wac.
The stench, with others, tried to kill the mwc

They are the common denominator in every western conference's troubles, and are a cause of the death of football programs at Fullerton, long Beach, and Pacific.

I don't care for having them as neighbors. But I endure. I don't ever want them in my house.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2020, 10:47 am

USU78 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 6:31 pm
The stench, with others, killed the Skyline.

They are the common denominator in every western conference's troubles, and are a cause of the death of football programs at Fullerton, long Beach, and Pacific.

I don't care for having them as neighbors. But I endure. I don't ever want them in my house.
I like how simply you just broke that down!
USU78

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2020, 10:49 am

oleblu111 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm
2004AG wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 1:29 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ususports wrote:
2004AG wrote:

1- what are the risks?

This X 1000!

X 1000% ??

You are correct in what you believe about Byu, as a member of the MWC they would be a plus for the national T.V. deal, local media coverage would increase for USU. Revenue for a home conference game in football and a yearly home game in basketball do nothing but help. I would push for a partial membership for them in all sports with a scheduling agreement in football if a full membership does not work out for them. USU only gains with them in the same conference.
I don't get why people are willing to sell themselves to the devil and include/invite those tools into a conference over what would likely amount to a measly few extra hundred thousand dollars each year. COULD we use the extra funds? Sure. Can we AFFORD to take on the risk of bringing such a devious, self-serving school as a conference mate? NOPE! We still play them in football every other year already, so we reap that so-called "benefit" already without having to cater to them as a conference mate. Regardless if we are in the same conference with those losers or not, we will NEVER, EVER see an increase in statewide media coverage. As is stands we HAVE a conference to play in and they are an INDEPENDENT and they STILL receive much, much more coverage than we could ever hope for.

The "pros" of ever including them in a conference are non-existent and the "cons" are DECADES of getting kicked in the a$$ by them and I'll include utah while I'm at it. Fool me once, fool me twice........

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 9th, 2020, 11:21 am

USU78 wrote:The stench, with others, killed the Skyline.

But they will continue to be the common denominator in every western conference trouble whether they are a member of the MW or not. That doesn’t change.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
USU78oleblu111

Donman

Post by Donman » April 9th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Go take a walk

Locked Previous topicNext topic