Miller family sell the Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Re: Miller family sell the Utah Jazz

Post by ViAggie » October 29th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:16 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Jazz will eventually be the Las Vegas Silver Miners or something like that. Sorry
Lol, not a chance, the guy who bought the team is a Utahn and a big time Jazz fan.

However, during the 83-84 season the Jazz played 11 home games at the Thomas and Mack Center and there was serious talk about moving the Jazz to Vegas then. Luckily Stockton and Malone were drafted and Larry Miller bought the team and the rest is history. Another reason Larry Miller will always be a legend in Utah sports. There is a chance the Jazz don't stay in Utah without him.

Even if the Jazz were a bad franchise like the Twolves, I doubt they would move from Utah. They are pretty much ingrained in the social fabric of Utah culture. The fact that they are a 50 win regular playoff team further shows there is no chance of them moving.
I wouldn't dismiss it, at the end of the day, money talks. :stirpot:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:25 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Jazz will eventually be the Las Vegas Silver Miners or something like that. Sorry
Lol, not a chance, the guy who bought the team is a Utahn and a big time Jazz fan.

However, during the 83-84 season the Jazz played 11 home games at the Thomas and Mack Center and there was serious talk about moving the Jazz to Vegas then. Luckily Stockton and Malone were drafted and Larry Miller bought the team and the rest is history. Another reason Larry Miller will always be a legend in Utah sports. There is a chance the Jazz don't stay in Utah without him.

Even if the Jazz were a bad franchise like the Twolves, I doubt they would move from Utah. They are pretty much ingrained in the social fabric of Utah culture. The fact that they are a 50 win regular playoff team further shows there is no chance of them moving.
The Miller family still owns 20% and my strong assumption is they would have to consent to moving the franchise. Even if he could move it unilaterally, why pays hundreds of millions in a relocation fee when you are the only game in a basketball crazy town? Plus, the league could potentially get $1-2 billion in expansion fees for new franchises in Seattle and Las Vegas so I doubt they want to tie up those markets moving a profitable franchise.

So yes, money talks, but it is saying stay in Utah.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 29th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm
ViAggie wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 12:25 pm
ViAggie wrote:

The Miller family still owns 20% and my strong assumption is they would have to consent to moving the franchise. Even if he could move it unilaterally, why pays hundreds of millions in a relocation fee when you are the only game in a basketball crazy town? Plus, the league could potentially get $1-2 billion in expansion fees for new franchises in Seattle and Las Vegas so I doubt they want to tie up those markets moving a profitable franchise.

So yes, money talks, but it is saying stay in Utah.
You know the saying, hear today....

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm

ViAggie wrote:

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » October 29th, 2020, 7:56 pm

ViAggie wrote:
You mean we can double fist beers at the game without being judged, order a double, get a shot and a beer, all while enjoying a joint? MAKE IT HAPPEN!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 30th, 2020, 8:44 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:where else would the Utah Jazz play, besides Utah?

They'd have to change the name to move
Saints to move to New Orleans
Surfers to move to Pittsburgh
Hillbillies to move to Kansas City
Cowboys to move to New York City
Senators to move to Las Vegas
Rockies to move to Minneapolis
Not try to throw gas on that potential fire, but Seattle has been clamoring for a team almost from the day the Supersonics left. I’m sure Smith has lots of tech connections in the area and it would be a place to move with a lot of upsides over SLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 30th, 2020, 9:31 am

jpswensen wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:44 am

Not try to throw gas on that potential fire, but Seattle has been clamoring for a team almost from the day the Supersonics left. I’m sure Smith has lots of tech connections in the area and it would be a place to move with a lot of upsides over SLC.

so they would have to be the Seattle Desert, or Drought?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 30th, 2020, 9:44 am

jpswensen wrote:

There is no fire to throw gas on. They aren't moving away from Utah. It is in the sale agreement besides the fact the new owner is a Utahn and a big Jazz fan.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sstrasser

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » October 30th, 2020, 9:49 am

jpswensen wrote:

Not sure how long it lasts, but the current climate has people/companies (corporations are people, right ;)) leaving Seattle in droves. I doubt there would be any real incentive to trade SLC for SEA

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 30th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Well King county is twice the size of Salt Lake county and over the last 9 years the growth rate is much higher there.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 30th, 2020, 4:54 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Well King county is twice the size of Salt Lake county and over the last 9 years the growth rate is much higher there.
Jazz certainly aren't moving there. That is a dead issue. However, the Twolves should move there. They have been garbage in Minnesota and had the worst attendance in the league last year. They could certainly use a fresh start and Seattle would be a good spot. Those Sonics teams of the 90s were great although game 7 in 96 still gives me nightmares. (Make your free throws Karl, we could have had 3 straight trips to the Finals!)
Intermeddler

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 1st, 2020, 9:50 am

Miller’s getting out at a very good time. It is going to take years for the NBA to get fans back due to their over politicizing this year.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
aggies22

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

stang

Post by stang » November 1st, 2020, 10:05 am

Jjoey52 wrote:Miller’s getting out at a very good time. It is going to take years for the NBA to get fans back due to their over politicizing this year.
Yeah this one guy who I went to high school with who lives in a trailer and really isn’t much of a sports fan except when the Patriots are good said on Facebook that he will NEVER watch a Jazz game EVER AGAIN because those SOB’s dared to exercise their constitutional rights and have a political voice!!! I just hope for Ryan Smith’s sake the league doesn’t completely go out of business in the next couple of years!

This Ryan guy is a total idiot for buying in right now, the NBA is clearly a struggling business! I mean the Jazz will still most definitely sell out every single game, and having an exciting team with a young superstar like Donovan Mitchell has made it so there is more Jazz memorabilia on the streets than I can remember in my lifetime, but there are probably like a few hundred people in Utah who were never diehard Jazz fans in the first place that will never watch a game again! Oh and also there was that one company who cancelled their suite just to have it immediately bought by another company who was desperate to get an opportunity!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 1st, 2020, 1:09 pm

stang wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 10:05 am
Jjoey52 wrote:Miller’s getting out at a very good time. It is going to take years for the NBA to get fans back due to their over politicizing this year.
Yeah this one guy who I went to high school with who lives in a trailer and really isn’t much of a sports fan except when the Patriots are good said on Facebook that he will NEVER watch a Jazz game EVER AGAIN because those SOB’s dared to exercise their constitutional rights and have a political voice!!! I just hope for Ryan Smith’s sake the league doesn’t completely go out of business in the next couple of years!

This Ryan guy is a total idiot for buying in right now, the NBA is clearly a struggling business! I mean the Jazz will still most definitely sell out every single game, and having an exciting team with a young superstar like Donovan Mitchell has made it so there is more Jazz memorabilia on the streets than I can remember in my lifetime, but there are probably like a few hundred people in Utah who were never diehard Jazz fans in the first place that will never watch a game again! Oh and also there was that one company who cancelled their suite just to have it immediately bought by another company who was desperate to get an opportunity!
Yeah he does these clownish old man yells at clouds posts in any NBA thread that comes up. He knows about as much about the NBA as Gary Andersen does about beating Boise State. The Jazz are going to be a 50+ win team for the foreseeable future. They have 2 all stars and one of the most dynamic exciting stars in the NBA who is very popular and is only 23. Mitchell's playoff performance only got people more excited. I have talked to Jazz fan friends who for years had been to cheap to go in on tickets; were texting me about planning on getting season tickets now.

The Jazz averaged 18,300 fans at their games last year before covid shut things down. I will bet anyone here it will be higher when things are back to normal with no covid restrictions.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Basketball season starts Dec 22. Can't wait! Let's go Jazz!
Intermeddler

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 6th, 2020, 12:22 am

November 1st, 2020, 1:09 pm
stang wrote:

Yeah he does these clownish old man yells at clouds posts in any NBA thread that comes up. He knows about as much about the NBA as Gary Andersen does about beating Boise State. The Jazz are going to be a 50+ win team for the foreseeable future. They have 2 all stars and one of the most dynamic exciting stars in the NBA who is very popular and is only 23. Mitchell's playoff performance only got people more excited. I have talked to Jazz fan friends who for years had been to cheap to go in on tickets; were texting me about planning on getting season tickets now.

The Jazz averaged 18,300 fans at their games last year before covid shut things down. I will bet anyone here it will be higher when things are back to normal with no covid restrictions.
Capacity is 18,300 but enthusiasm is at an all time high. When I renewed my season tickets before last year I tried to add seats and couldn’t. The renewal rate was over 95 percent according to my rep. Which is crazy high.

I renewed my seats for 2020-21 and hopefully I’ll get to go to some games. Haven’t heard what they’ll do.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 6th, 2020, 9:18 am

Intermeddler wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 12:22 am
stang wrote:

Capacity is 18,300 but enthusiasm is at an all time high. When I renewed my season tickets before last year I tried to add seats and couldn’t. The renewal rate was over 95 percent according to my rep. Which is crazy high.

I renewed my seats for 2020-21 and hopefully I’ll get to go to some games. Haven’t heard what they’ll do.
Fair enough. The upgrades to the arena a few years ago must have lowered overall seating capacity. It held over 19,000 before that. You are right though and I've seen the same enthusiasm. I've been living outside of Utah for a few years, but coming back to Utah I can't wait to get a ticket package with this team. Definitely more motivated to buy Jazz tickets than Aggie football tickets right now.
Intermeddler

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 6th, 2020, 9:42 am

November 6th, 2020, 9:18 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 12:22 am
stang wrote:

Fair enough. The upgrades to the arena a few years ago must have lowered overall seating capacity. It held over 19,000 before that. You are right though and I've seen the same enthusiasm. I've been living outside of Utah for a few years, but coming back to Utah I can't wait to get a ticket package with this team. Definitely more motivated to buy Jazz tickets than Aggie football tickets right now.
Yeah they ripped out a bunch of seats in the lower bowl to create more space and put some loge boxes at the top of the bowl and then the floor side boxes behind the seats have their block of seats and the seats all over are wider.

Much better experience for sure since the remodel. The games are a blast too. Feels like the spectrum sometimes. Fans are loud and close to the floor and it’s full every night

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 6th, 2020, 9:54 am

November 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Is that official? The players don't want to start that early.

I do think it'll happen once the players realize what it'll cost them to wait until mid-January, though (about $500 million).

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 9:54 am
November 5th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Is that official? The players don't want to start that early.

I do think it'll happen once the players realize what it'll cost them to wait until mid-January, though (about $500 million).
Yeah I know some players had some pushback. There was a rumor Lebron would sit out the first month if it started in December, but I imagine most players are ready to get back to work. 8 teams haven't played a game since March and even the Jazz have only played 15 games in the last 9 months.

Here is the article, it looks like Dec 22nd is close to being a go.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/302 ... lar-season
3rdGenAggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm
$1.6 billion for 80% puts the total valuation at $2 billion.

The cost of money is so little right now he would have been dumb to not finance as much as he could.

My assumption is that a decision on the level of moving the team would require unanimity among the owners and that would effectively give the Miller family veto rights on moving the team but that is just a guess.

He seems like the best possible candidate to buy the team if the goals are to keep it in Utah and keep it competitive.
If he moved the team anywhere it would be to Utah County.

Hail Aggies!

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 7th, 2020, 9:31 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm
$1.6 billion for 80% puts the total valuation at $2 billion.

The cost of money is so little right now he would have been dumb to not finance as much as he could.

My assumption is that a decision on the level of moving the team would require unanimity among the owners and that would effectively give the Miller family veto rights on moving the team but that is just a guess.

He seems like the best possible candidate to buy the team if the goals are to keep it in Utah and keep it competitive.
If he moved the team anywhere it would be to Utah County.
Ew. I'd prefer he move the team to Vegas.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 7th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Yeah Utah County would be dreadful. The arena is in a great location. Of course I'm a bit biased the farthest south I ever lived was near 3300 South in SLC, so the arena was never a far drive for me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic