Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 14th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Urban Meyer has been named the Jaguars coach. Him being demanding, driving guys to nearly quit, worked in college, we'll have to see if that works in the NFL.

GordoAggie

Re: Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Post by GordoAggie » January 15th, 2021, 6:45 am

I am curious to see if his style translates to NFL. Hard to boss around a bunch of famous millionaires.
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post:
aggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 15th, 2021, 9:31 am

GordoAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 6:45 am
I am curious to see if his style translates to NFL. Hard to boss around a bunch of famous millionaires.
I personally think he will be able to get alot out of the guys that are at the bottom of the roster fighting for a spot on the 53. It's the guys that are safe that will be the problem for him.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 15th, 2021, 10:42 am

If he hits someone, he very well may get hit back.

Setting aside the money, this isn't a great move. He's going to lose more games next year than he's ever lost. The Jags aren't good.
Mostly, I think this is a failure for USC :)

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 15th, 2021, 12:19 pm

His success will be tied up with Trevor Lawrence. If Lawrence is as good as advertised, he will do well there. The guy has coached 4 different places and done extremely well at all 4. NFL is a different animal, but I'll trust Urban Meyer's football expertise to be better than the Colts, Titans and Texans if he has even close to equal talent.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 15th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Lets not forget that football cyborg Nick Saban went 15-17 (and lost 3 more games in his 2nd year than his first) in his 2 years as a head coach in the nfl. it's not nearly the same ball of wax as CFB.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 15th, 2021, 2:43 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 2:02 pm
Lets not forget that football cyborg Nick Saban went 15-17 (and lost 3 more games in his 2nd year than his first) in his 2 years as a head coach in the nfl. it's not nearly the same ball of wax as CFB.
Nope, but if you get a great QB it makes your chance of success skyrocket. We would be looking at Nick Saban very differently if Miami went with Drew Brees instead of Daunte Culpepper. Drew Brees went on to be of course Drew Brees while Culpepper played 4 games total in Miami because of injuries. Funny enough, Miami's front office didn't want Brees because they worried about his health.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ShowMeAggie

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » January 15th, 2021, 3:47 pm

The Jags have a TON of cap room, so if they are smart they can get some players to put around all of their picks.

They could be good

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 17th, 2021, 1:04 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
Yes and Steve Spurrier went 12-20 with Washington. Not sure how well this will work, only a few coaches have been successful in college and the pros. Most notably Jimmy Johnson.

Maybe he just wants to move back to Florida.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » January 18th, 2021, 10:19 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 1:04 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
Yes and Steve Spurrier went 12-20 with Washington. Not sure how well this will work, only a few coaches have been successful in college and the pros. Most notably Jimmy Johnson.

pete carol?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 18th, 2021, 2:36 pm

tipitup wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 10:19 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

pete carol?
I would also add Tom Coughlin to the list. Took over a bad Boston College program and got them into the top 15 before leaving for the NFL. Then of course he won 2 Super Bowls with the Giants.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 18th, 2021, 7:54 pm

tipitup wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 10:19 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

pete carol?
There's two then, three with Coughlin. Just isn't super common.

Maybe Meyer will, only time will tell. He is certainly driven enough.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 18th, 2021, 8:36 pm

Another question is how long will Urban last? He stopped at Florida to take a break after 6 years and stopped at Ohio State to take a break after 7 years. He is an incredible coach, but has pushes himself to the limit. He has been hospitalized before for stress related health problems.

My prediction is he'll do well, but probably will only coach there for 4 years. He will get Jacksonville to being a playoff team, but get burned out again.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am

It is really difficult for great college coaches to have success in the NFL. We see the same phenomenon in basketball. John Calipari and Rick Pitino are good examples.

There are a couple of coaches that have been able to make the jump. Pete Carroll is one. Brad Stevens in basketball is another. These seem to be more the exception than the rule, however. I don't know if I would be comfortable hiring a college coach. Should be interesting.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2021, 1:04 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am
It is really difficult for great college coaches to have success in the NFL. We see the same phenomenon in basketball. John Calipari and Rick Pitino are good examples.

There are a couple of coaches that have been able to make the jump. Pete Carroll is one. Brad Stevens in basketball is another. These seem to be more the exception than the rule, however. I don't know if I would be comfortable hiring a college coach. Should be interesting.
It is interesting. I don't watch a ton of NFL games, but he will give me a reason to check in on Jacksonville. Can he be like Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Pete Carroll or more like Bobby Petrino and Steve Spurrier? As I said, I really believe it will all come down to how good Trevor Lawrence is. I look at the Colts when they drafted Andrew Luck. They were a 2-14 team the year before, got a great quarterback and immediately went back to the playoffs. It is more complicated than that obviously, but I believe Urban can elevate his team and they can get at least competent free agents.

Locked Previous topicNext topic