Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Mr. Sneelock

Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 29th, 2021, 10:35 pm

The Jazz are playing insanely well right now. It's ridiculous. They shoot the ball incredibly well, and they seem to have great chemistry. They have the best record in the NBA, have the best point differential in the league, and they are in the top 3 of the league in both offense and defense. I think they have trailed on the 4th quarter a total of less than 1 minute during the streak, and have been up by 30 or more in 5 different games.

They are destroying everyone, and even without Mitchell and Favors, they have pounded Dallas twice in a row.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 29th, 2021, 10:50 pm

Yep, tonight was a lot of fun. Sweeping dallas without Mitchell was impressive. I was surprised in a good way that they got a blow out win tonight. They aren't just winning, they are dominating. You mentioned point differential and being in the top 3 in offense and defense. Another impressive thing is leading the NBA in 3 pointers made per game and 2nd in the league in 3 point percentage.

Really hope by the playoffs, they are letting more fans in. I want to see a rowdy crowd against the Clippers and Lakers.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 29th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Double digit win streaks are pretty rare in the NBA.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 29th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 10:58 pm
Double digit win streaks are pretty rare in the NBA.
11 straight wins and 10 of those 11 were double digit victories. If they get by Denver on Sunday, the streak will go to at least 15.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 29th, 2021, 11:17 pm

I feel like they are ripe for a let down, but I thought they would lose each of the last two games, and they haven't been close.

What's even crazier is that Bogdonovich hasn't really found his groove this year... Until tonight. If he can get back to last year's level, they will be crazy good.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 29th, 2021, 11:26 pm

Yeah Bojan was incredible from 3 tonight as was the whole team making 20 3's. Glad to see him finally finding his groove. Hopefully this is the start of him playing at a high level. Defense was also great shutting down Porzingis.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 30th, 2021, 10:47 am

Joe Ingles just passed John Stockton for the most made threes in Jazz history. Not bad for a seemingly Europe league guy that was picked up off the waiver wire.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 30th, 2021, 11:41 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:47 am
Joe Ingles just passed John Stockton for the most made threes in Jazz history. Not bad for a seemingly Europe league guy that was picked up off the waiver wire.
Yeah his 3 point shooting has been incredible this year as has the whole team. 6 guys shooting over 38% from 3. Even Royce Oneal can't miss this year.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

stang

Post by stang » January 30th, 2021, 9:35 pm

This Jazz team is special, and I don't know if I've ever had so much fun watching basketball. If they can stay healthy, I really think they've got as good of a shot as anyone at the title this year. Elite offense, elite defense, a solid bench with the likely Sixth Man of the Year, excellent coaching and four players with legit all-star claims.

I have a distant relative who was a die hard Jazz fan for decades but decided he didn't like athletes having voices so he's "boycotting" the NBA. What a bummer that would be!

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » January 30th, 2021, 10:52 pm

stang wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 9:35 pm
This Jazz team is special, and I don't know if I've ever had so much fun watching basketball. If they can stay healthy, I really think they've got as good of a shot as anyone at the title this year. Elite offense, elite defense, a solid bench with the likely Sixth Man of the Year, excellent coaching and four players with legit all-star claims.

I have a distant relative who was a die hard Jazz fan for decades but decided he didn't like athletes having voices so he's "boycotting" the NBA. What a bummer that would be!
I have stopped watching all professional sports and my past favorite team had its best year in a decade. I didnt feel like I missed out for one second. Sure do get alot more done on Sundays tho. The point being, your distant relative may not be as bummed about it as you think.

stang

Post by stang » January 30th, 2021, 11:05 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:52 pm
stang wrote:

I have stopped watching all professional sports and my past favorite team had its best year in a decade. I didnt feel like I missed out for one second. Sure do get alot more done on Sundays tho. The point being, your distant relative may not be as bummed about it as you think.
You very well may be correct, and I apologize for posting this in the first place because I realize it's a bit of a thread jack and I don't want to turn the conversation.

My point is simply that I've really, really enjoyed watching this Jazz team. It's been years since regular season Jazz games were nearly appointment viewing for me, but I've made a point of trying to watch just about every game. It's basketball ecstasy.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 30th, 2021, 11:54 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 10:52 pm
stang wrote:

Yeah there are a lot of exciting things to do in the world. I don't watch much NFL football anymore because I prefer to spend my weekends hiking or being active. That being said, glad I still watch the Jazz. The last few years have been a lot of fun with this year being a blast so far.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 31st, 2021, 4:18 pm

I figured they'd lose today, but still excited to see Bojan playing well and has found his shot. Conley and Mitchell normally are not going to shoot this poorly. Great winning streak. Look forward to another winning streak starting up against Detroit.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 31st, 2021, 5:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 4:18 pm
I figured they'd lose today, but still excited to see Bojan playing well and has found his shot. Conley and Mitchell normally are not going to shoot this poorly. Great winning streak. Look forward to another winning streak starting up against Detroit.
More than that, the Nuggets shot like 65% on nearly 30 three pointers. Just an unusual game.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 31st, 2021, 8:37 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 5:00 pm
More than that, the Nuggets shot like 65% on nearly 30 three pointers. Just an unusual game.
If an opponent has to shoot like this to beat the Jazz, the Jazz are going to win a lot of games.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 31st, 2021, 9:45 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 5:00 pm
And it was something like 15 of 17 from 3 to start the game. Unreal shooting display.
3rdGenAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 1st, 2021, 12:09 pm

Yeah, I don't take yesterday's game as any sort of negative sign. The Jazz still scored 117 points. I am not sure I have ever seen a team shoot like the Nuggets did yesterday, and while the Defense wasn't great, I didn't really feel like it was that bad. The Nuggets just made everything. An anomaly for sure, and obviously the Jazz were going to lose one of these days anyway. A single loss in the NBA isn't a big deal, unless it spirals into 4 or 5 in a row. The positive is that Bogdonovich had another really good game. Hopefully he is finding his rhythm.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieProvoAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 11:57 am

Great news. More fans are going to be allowed in the Delta Center. Hopefully that number keeps going up and there will be a rocking arena by playoff time.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/1 ... jazz-games
slcagg

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 2nd, 2021, 12:10 pm

February 2nd, 2021, 11:57 am
Great news. More fans are going to be allowed in the Delta Center. Hopefully that number keeps going up and there will be a rocking arena by playoff time.

I hear to keep things safe with increasing crowds in a large, enclosed arena during a global pandemic, they will not allow cheering, but rather encourage jazz hands as a way to express excitement and encourage the sports ball players.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
sam tingey

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 2nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

Fantastic news. Wonder if we can increase capacity in the spectrum.

Speaking of which book it that Boise will have some fans in the stands for that series.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

stang

Post by stang » February 2nd, 2021, 3:25 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

Speaking of which book it that Boise will have some fans in the stands for that series.
I believe that Boise is planning to start allowing close family of players in the stands soon. It will be interesting to see if they can get to the point of allowing public before our series.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2021, 6:41 pm

slcagg wrote:

Probably not. The Jazz haven't been using the upper bowl at all. With the expanded attendance they won't be putting people closer together, they're just opening more sections.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 2nd, 2021, 11:54 pm

Another great performance from Bojan tonight. He seems to have found his groove. Royce Oneal also looking really good. I am not going to predict a title, but the Jazz are going to be a damn tough out against anyone. With the Clippers losing tonight, Jazz once again have the best record in the NBA.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 3rd, 2021, 6:11 am

February 2nd, 2021, 11:54 pm
Another great performance from Bojan tonight. He seems to have found his groove. Royce Oneal also looking really good. I am not going to predict a title, but the Jazz are going to be a damn tough out against anyone. With the Clippers losing tonight, Jazz once again have the best record in the NBA.
Heck of a team. I’ve seen people speculate that the jazz will be a great regular season team (appears to be true) but not quite as good in the postseason because of their lack of a top player in the nba. Looking back at prior championship level teams it seems they have at least one top 5 guy. Do you think that is necessary or that the jazz have a guy like that?. Could Donovan become that guy?

Regardless they sure are kicking butt right now.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » February 3rd, 2021, 8:54 am

slcagg wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 6:11 am
Heck of a team. I’ve seen people speculate that the jazz will be a great regular season team (appears to be true) but not quite as good in the postseason because of their lack of a top player in the nba. Looking back at prior championship level teams it seems they have at least one top 5 guy. Do you think that is necessary or that the jazz have a guy like that?. Could Donovan become that guy?

Perceived top 5 or actual top 5? Right now 538 has Conley as the second best overall player in the NBA.

And as they say "stats don't lie."

Or is it "the are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Either way, I think the Jazz are in a good position.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 3rd, 2021, 9:33 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 8:54 am
slcagg wrote:

Perceived top 5 or actual top 5? Right now 538 has Conley as the second best overall player in the NBA.

And as they say "stats don't lie."

Or is it "the are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Either way, I think the Jazz are in a good position.
It's probably just my pessimism, but I feel like this is the year if the Jazz are going to have one. They've got 3 All Star level players in Mitchell, Gobert, and Conley, plus Bogdanovic and Clarkson.

Next year, Conley's contract is up and Mitchell and Gobert's massive extensions kick in so there will be no money to pay him unless he's willing to take far less than he could get elsewhere.

They'll hold his Bird Rights as far as I know (meaning they can go over the cap to re-sign him) but are already in the Luxury Tax this year and will be deeply into the Luxury Tax next year and with the addition of the repeater tax for being in the Luxury multiple years in a row.

They'll still be very good, but so will the Lakers, Clippers, Nets, Sixers, etc.

Everybody buy some Qualtrics stock and make Ryan Smith another hundred million. He's gonna need it. :lol:

stang

Post by stang » February 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

slcagg wrote:

The past few seasons, I would agree with you that the team was set up for regular season success but not postseason success. Of course I could be wrong, but this season feels a bit different. You're right that they don't have top 5 guy, but they also to my eyes don't have a glaring weakness. Top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, best 3-point shooting team in the league, and solid depth. That's generally been the formula for deep runs in the playoffs in recent years.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 3rd, 2021, 1:13 pm

stang wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm
slcagg wrote:

The past few seasons, I would agree with you that the team was set up for regular season success but not postseason success. Of course I could be wrong, but this season feels a bit different. You're right that they don't have top 5 guy, but they also to my eyes don't have a glaring weakness. Top 5 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, best 3-point shooting team in the league, and solid depth. That's generally been the formula for deep runs in the playoffs in recent years.
With the number of 3s they take and make and a legit defender like gobert do they remind you a bit of the warriors before Durant? Golden state had green for defense (I know he and gobert are different) and then all the 3 pt shooting it reminds me of those teams a bit. Granted Steph was amazingly good.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 3rd, 2021, 6:17 pm

slcagg wrote:

Beating the Clippers and Lakers(and Nets if they get there) will obviously be tough, but if Mitchell, Conley, Bojan and Clarkson are all clicking it is possible. The Lakers, Clippers or no other team in the west has a quartet of scorers that the Jazz have.

As for top 5 player in the league, the Jazz will need Mitchell to be that guy and he can be. His performance in the playoffs last year was not just superstar level, but pretty historic. 38 pts on 55% shooting and 31 of 58 from 3. A shame Conley's shot didn't drop at the buzzer of game 7.
slcagg

stang

Post by stang » February 3rd, 2021, 9:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 1:13 pm
stang wrote:
slcagg wrote:

With the number of 3s they take and make and a legit defender like gobert do they remind you a bit of the warriors before Durant? Golden state had green for defense (I know he and gobert are different) and then all the 3 pt shooting it reminds me of those teams a bit. Granted Steph was amazingly good.
That's an interesting comparison. They still run a lot more pick-and-roll than Golden State ever did, though it's down significantly from past years, but that Warrior team probably isn't too far off when it comes to 3-point shooting and defense. Both had an elite sixth man and solid bench as well. But you're right, the Jazz definitely don't have anything close to Steph.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 3rd, 2021, 11:28 pm

stang wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 9:24 pm
slcagg wrote:
stang wrote:
slcagg wrote:

That's an interesting comparison. They still run a lot more pick-and-roll than Golden State ever did, though it's down significantly from past years, but that Warrior team probably isn't too far off when it comes to 3-point shooting and defense. Both had an elite sixth man and solid bench as well. But you're right, the Jazz definitely don't have anything close to Steph.
Or Klay. A crazy thing about the 2015-16 Warriors was that Steph broke the all time record for most 3's in a season and that Klay had the 3rd most 3s in a single season in NBA history. (2nd all time was Steph from the previous year.)

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 5th, 2021, 10:19 am

February 3rd, 2021, 11:28 pm
stang wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 9:24 pm
slcagg wrote:
stang wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Or Klay. A crazy thing about the 2015-16 Warriors was that Steph broke the all time record for most 3's in a season and that Klay had the 3rd most 3s in a single season in NBA history. (2nd all time was Steph from the previous year.)
And yet, the Jazz are outpacing even that team in 3s taken and made. They are a historically prolific 3 point shooting team. It is really fun to watch.

The Jazz are really deep - much deeper than most NBA teams, even other very good ones. They may not be as top-heavy as some teams (Lakers, Clippers, Nets), but they legitimately have 240 minutes of quality NBA talent in their rotation. They go 8 deep with really good, quality players, and 9-10 deep with serviceable guys. Clarkson, Ingles, and Favors come off the bench, all of whom are very good NBA players that could be starters for very good teams in the league. Georges Niang is turning into a pretty reliable guy off the bench. They have the best defensive player in the world, a budding superstar leader, a very good veteran point guard playing at an all-star level, a microwave 6th man off the bench, a reliable 3 and D guy, and a couple of volume scorers - when one has a bad game, you can be pretty sure the others will be on. As the season progresses, I expect the rotation to tighten to 8-9 guys, and fans can feel comfortable with any of them on the floor.

They are also really balanced both offensively and defensively. They don't have anyone they have to hide on defense, and everyone can (and does) score. Everyone but Gobert and Favors is a legit 3 point threat, which opens up scoring opportunities for those 2 at the rim and keeps teams from overplaying the 3 point line. And everyone plays very unselfishly for the most part. In fact, sometimes I feel like guys are unselfish to a fault. For example, sometimes Joe Ingles passes up open shots that I feel like he should let fly.

That said, no team is perfect, and they do have a few minor weaknesses.

The biggest weakness is when teams are able to switch 1-4 or 1-5 defensively, which takes away the pick and roll and can make catch and shoot 3s hard to come by. Not every team has the personnel to do that, but when they do, the Jazz offense tends to bog down a bit. When they do that the counter is to go to more 1 on 1 isolation, and while Mitchell is a good isolation player, I feel like the ability to consistently go get a bucket in isolation, get to the line, or command a double team consistently is the next big progression in his game. He is getting there, and definitely has the ability.

The other minor weakness is that sometimes the Jazz can get bullied by more physical teams. They don't really have the enforcer type who isn't afraid to mix it up. Sometimes I feel like they need a Draymond Green, Dennis Rodman, or even Antoine Carr kind of guy to come in, get rebounds, and push people around.

My fear is that we could be both a year or two too early (Mitchell is still young - not quite in his prime) and a year or two too late (Conley and Ingles on the downside). I hope the Jazz can go deep this year, and then re-sign Conley for 3-4 years for significantly less than his current deal. Something more like the Clarkson contract. He is playing well now, and isn't likely to have a huge decline next year, but teams likely won't back up the Brinks truck for him. Utah is really the perfect situation for a guy at this stage of his career. I also get the impression that Ryan Smith isn't overly concerned about the luxury tax, but I could be wrong.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiestang

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 5th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Well put. I agree that Ryan Smith isn't going to have any problem going into the luxury tax. He is a lifelong Jazz fan that wants to win whatever the cost.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 5th, 2021, 9:24 pm

26 of 50 from 3. As we said in the 90's, booyah!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 5th, 2021, 11:25 pm

February 3rd, 2021, 11:28 pm
Interesting thing about the Jazz this year - the Jazz are attempting more threes and making a higher percentage than any NBA team ever has before.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Locked Previous topicNext topic