Justin Fields - Epilepsy

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Imakeitrain

Justin Fields - Epilepsy

Post by Imakeitrain » April 21st, 2021, 10:21 pm

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-stat ... 164487423/

Fascinating. He's been playing with epilepsy for years. Hopefully this doesnt affect his draft too much. I tend to not be a fan of Ohio State QBs in the NFL, but it would be a great story for someone with epilepsy to get drafted in the 1st round or even be one of the all time greats.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
aggies22RockyMountainHigh

Yossarian

Re: Justin Fields - Epilepsy

Post by Yossarian » April 23rd, 2021, 9:17 am

That is great for Fields that he has been able to achieve the level of success he has with epilepsy.

I'm no doctor and certainly not one to tell someone else what they can or can't do, but I have to question the wisdom in participating in a sport that is prone to concussions and potential brain injuries by someone that already suffers from epilepsy. You gotta live your life, but living with long- term brain injury doesn't sound like fun. I wish him the best.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 23rd, 2021, 10:11 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 9:17 am
That is great for Fields that he has been able to achieve the level of success he has with epilepsy.

I'm no doctor and certainly not one to tell someone else what they can or can't do, but I have to question the wisdom in participating in a sport that is prone to concussions and potential brain injuries by someone that already suffers from epilepsy. You gotta live your life, but living with long- term brain injury doesn't sound like fun. I wish him the best.
That is why I don't begrudge Andrew Luck at all for retiring early. He could have played several more years and made a ton more money. Being in pain sucks though. As someone that has dealt with backpain and who has paid thousands to see back doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, etc. . . the money really is secondary to your health. If someone said I can give you a million dollars or never have back pain again, I would take the second option with no hesitation.

Good luck to Fields. Hopefully he has a long career, but yeah there are major risks playing a sport where guys are trying to knock him down 70 times a game when he already is dealing with this.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am

Targeting is obviously illegal, but if a defensive player goes head to head with Fields...that player is scum of the earth ten times over.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
RockyMountainHigh

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » April 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Juvenile Epilepsy is tough, it is really good seeing him succeed with it. My younger brother was diagnosed with it after his first seizure 4 years ago. He passed away while having a seizure earlier this year at 19yo. Really hope to see Justin make it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 25th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Gretsch wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:29 pm
Juvenile Epilepsy is tough, it is really good seeing him succeed with it. My younger brother was diagnosed with it after his first seizure 4 years ago. He passed away while having a seizure earlier this year at 19yo. Really hope to see Justin make it.

So sorry to hear that, Gretsch. That is tough. All the best to you and your family as you deal with his passing.

Eutaw St. Aggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » April 26th, 2021, 7:47 am

Gretsch wrote:

dang. condolences gretsch

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » April 26th, 2021, 7:49 am

Gretsch wrote:

dang, this is a sad post. I send my condolences to you and the family

Locked Previous topicNext topic