Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
stang
Posts: 884
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by stang » May 25th, 2021, 9:27 pm

This feels like a really solid hire, it would be fun to see the soccer program have some new success after sticking with its last coach for 18 seasons. He was the top assistant at Oregon, and has experience working with the US Women's National Team as well.

It's also great to have the first minority head coach in any sport in USU history! I was surprised to learn that.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/5 ... state.aspx



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 25th, 2021, 9:36 pm

First minority coach in USU history in any sport? Dang, maybe seldomseensmith isn't as nutty as I thought.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2335
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 324 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm

I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78



Donman
Posts: 2746
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Donman » May 25th, 2021, 10:07 pm

stang wrote:This feels like a really solid hire, it would be fun to see the soccer program have some new success after sticking with its last coach for 18 seasons. He was the top assistant at Oregon, and has experience working with the US Women's National Team as well.

It's also great to have the first minority head coach in any sport in USU history! I was surprised to learn that.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/5 ... state.aspx
Hmmmm. Wrong. Marlon Sano was Asain. He was the volleyball coach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk




stang
Posts: 884
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by stang » May 25th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Donman wrote:
stang wrote:This feels like a really solid hire, it would be fun to see the soccer program have some new success after sticking with its last coach for 18 seasons. He was the top assistant at Oregon, and has experience working with the US Women's National Team as well.

It's also great to have the first minority head coach in any sport in USU history! I was surprised to learn that.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2021/5 ... state.aspx
Hmmmm. Wrong. Marlon Sano was Asain. He was the volleyball coach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Good catch. When I read the article yesterday it said he was the first, but looks like they’ve realized and updated that. I’m certainly not trying to make this sandbox-y, I just found that tidbit interesting.

Anyways, I feel strongly that Utah State has some of the best facilities and resources for Olympic sports in the Mountain West, and there aren’t many excuses to not be competitive in those. I’m glad to see that the AD is trying to make moves (volleyball and WBB also have new coaches) to make that happen. Martins feels like a great hire!



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 25th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Baseball.
Wrestling.

But that's another topic. Along with Title IX.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2335
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 324 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 2487
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 819 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by sam tingey » May 26th, 2021, 9:06 am

double post
Last edited by sam tingey on May 26th, 2021, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 2487
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 819 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by sam tingey » May 26th, 2021, 9:07 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am

You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
Why you hate women? :lol: :sarcasm:



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2021, 9:35 am

sam tingey wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:07 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am

You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
Why you hate women? :lol: :sarcasm:
It isn't really "hate", I just believe they do their best work in the kitchen and in the bedroom, not on the sideline.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sam tingey



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2021, 10:18 am

USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?
We haven't always hired the best available unless you think Arslanian, Dennehy, Guy, Gary 2.0 just to go by football are the "best available" lol. You have a national search and you hire the best qualified coach for the position as Hartwell does. Had we always done that, sorry we wouldn't have just 1 minority coach in over 100 years before Manny Martins.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
cowcollege



stang
Posts: 884
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by stang » May 26th, 2021, 11:09 am

USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?
I very intentionally stay out of the hellhole which is known as the Sandbox, please kindly consider returning there. I didn't think it was a controversial statement to say that I'm excited to see USU hire a minority head coach, but apparently I was wrong.

Now, if anybody would like to discuss soccer or Manny Martins or the future of the USU program, let's do that! Between Nelson, Martins, Ard and hopefully a new softball coach in the near future, I feel like Aggie olympic sports should be in pretty good hands.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 26th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 10:18 am
USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?
We haven't always hired the best available unless you think Arslanian, Dennehy, Guy, Gary 2.0 just to go by football are the "best available" lol. You have a national search and you hire the best qualified coach for the position as Hartwell does. Had we always done that, sorry we wouldn't have just 1 minority coach in over 100 years before Manny Martins.
Congrats! You tripped a dwarf! Feel better now?

As for Guy, there was nothing wrong with the process or the hire. He had the right credentials (P-5 coordinator with considerable success). Sometimes the hire doesn't work out through no fault of the hiring committee. Happens every day in America. As for Ars, Denn, and 2.0, I agree that the process failed. I don't think anybody'd disagree on that. But that's beside the point I make.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 26th, 2021, 12:20 pm

stang wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 11:09 am
USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?
I very intentionally stay out of the hellhole which is known as the Sandbox, please kindly consider returning there. I didn't think it was a controversial statement to say that I'm excited to see USU hire a minority head coach, but apparently I was wrong.

Now, if anybody would like to discuss soccer or Manny Martins or the future of the USU program, let's do that! Between Nelson, Martins, Ard and hopefully a new softball coach in the near future, I feel like Aggie olympic sports should be in pretty good hands.
You get what you ask for. "Diversity hire" is a stink on the university. Tokenism has no place in hiring decisions.

As for this particular hire, I don't have the remotest problem with it. Don't care how he folds his socks or anything else about the guy that's not job related. I'm happy to trust the AD and the process unless we find out the process was tainted, as happened with Pella, Ars, Denn, and 2.0.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6138
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 469 times
Contact:

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by TheAKAggie » May 26th, 2021, 2:09 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
“I don’t see why diversity is such a big deal.”

-Middle Aged White Guy


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 2487
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 819 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by sam tingey » May 26th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Welcome aboard Coach Martins! Utah State HEY Aggies all the way!
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
USU78



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2021, 5:19 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 12:15 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 10:18 am
USU78 wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 8:35 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 6:29 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 10:52 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
I don't give a damn about who any coach happens to be as long as they have a chance to succeed. I'm not a proper minority numbers type, but just another human being that seems to get along without mounting the diversity wagon.
Well since USU has only had 1 minority HC in history before this hire, it is fair to say we haven't given a damn about diversity either. And it isn't about hiring someone just because they are a minority. It is about having a thorough search and hiring fairly to guarantee we have gotten the right person for the job. I believe we have done that under Hartwell. Have we always done that? We have certainly had our share of bad coaching hires over the years that wouldn't point to that conclusion.

Congrats to Coach Martins. Hope he brings a MW Soccer championship to Logan.
My world doesn't revolve around Identity Politics and social quotas. Performance, no matter how the individual physically appears is what works for me. Anyone, any color, any ethnic background is welcome in my world. That's how it really has been in my world from my youth onward.
You didn't read what I said and are just saying buzz words. Yes we should always hire the best man for the job. Nobody is arguing that. We have not always done that, that is the point. When in your entire history, you have hired 1 minority coach before 2021, you aren't hiring the best guys unless you believe only 1 minority coach in the history of USU athletics equals the best guys. Fortunately now we have an AD who while sometimes annoys people with how long his coaching searches last, is committed to finding the best man for the job. I haven't always had that faith in past AD's.
"Best Available" is the only standard the likes of USU can worry about. You can't make black folks come there. All you can do is invite them. And the black guy isn't necessarily the best guy.

Moreover, bad guy competitors create a lot of mischief regarding USU, both in staffing and recruiting on race, religion, culture, economics, and more. Kicking the victim is poor sport, like tripping Gimli. What's the friggin point?
We haven't always hired the best available unless you think Arslanian, Dennehy, Guy, Gary 2.0 just to go by football are the "best available" lol. You have a national search and you hire the best qualified coach for the position as Hartwell does. Had we always done that, sorry we wouldn't have just 1 minority coach in over 100 years before Manny Martins.
Congrats! You tripped a dwarf! Feel better now?

As for Guy, there was nothing wrong with the process or the hire. He had the right credentials (P-5 coordinator with considerable success). Sometimes the hire doesn't work out through no fault of the hiring committee. Happens every day in America. As for Ars, Denn, and 2.0, I agree that the process failed. I don't think anybody'd disagree on that. But that's beside the point I make.
Those were obvious examples of "the best coach" not being hired. If your point is USU has always made the best hirings in athletics, you are just wrong. There is nothing "tokenism" about having an expanded search to get the best coach available. Had we always done that, we wouldn't have 1 minority hire in 100 years before this year.

You are always in a better situation when you don't limit yourself whether in business, athletics or in life. That is why we are in a better situation now with Hartwell. I used to go back and forth with StanfordAggie, a poster who doesn't post on here anymore. He would always argue against USU basically saying we should know our place and that we weren't capable of hiring proven winners. He defended the Duryea hire as the best we could do. Different discussion, but you remind me of him in this thread.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18191
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 955 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by NVAggie » May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am

You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.



Donman
Posts: 2746
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Donman » May 27th, 2021, 8:27 am

Many of our coaching hires seemed like good hires at the time. Of the list of available candidates they seemed like good options . Dennehy had a national championship. Guy was a coordinator at a P5 school. While Gary's was questionable, people thought he could take us back to the glory days.

Do we have evidence we passed over a qualified minority candidate for any of these hires?

The only one I know of was Cannales (and while I favored him there were rumors he didn't like the offer but these are rumors).

With the hiring of Odom, rumors were an African-American coach turned us down.

It takes two to tango. If we have proof a good coach of a minority background was passed over, then let's have a discussion. But let's stop trying to make issues were no issues may exist.

Heck even with this hire, I could make an argument we should have picked a female candidate.

Let's see how he does. I hope he has huge success.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 27th, 2021, 8:29 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
The only people making leaps are the people defending over a century of mediocre and bad coaches being hired. Obviously if you are making the best hires you aren't only going to have 1 minority coach in 100 years. I'm for hiring the best coaches, not limiting ourselves into a box. We aren't byu. We are talking a century, not a few hires.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18191
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 955 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by NVAggie » May 27th, 2021, 8:59 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 8:29 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
The only people making leaps are the people defending over a century of mediocre and bad coaches being hired. Obviously if you are making the best hires you aren't only going to have 1 minority coach in 100 years. I'm for hiring the best coaches, not limiting ourselves into a box. We aren't byu. We are talking a century, not a few hires.
So you have nothing more than your very base argument. There are so many other factors that could figure into this, but it is obvious that you aren't interested in anything other than. How many minority coaches were available over the last century? How many head coaching hires have we made over the last century? Which minority coaching candidates were available at the time we were making the hire? How many were interested when we were making the hire? Your argument is shallow. I would be happy to hear of any evidence that we didn't hire a qualified minority coach in the past. Otherwise, you are making a shallow argument for the purpose of slamming your schools poor performance over the last century. I think we all get it, we haven't been very good in athletics in our lifetimes.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 27th, 2021, 9:32 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 8:59 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 8:29 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
The only people making leaps are the people defending over a century of mediocre and bad coaches being hired. Obviously if you are making the best hires you aren't only going to have 1 minority coach in 100 years. I'm for hiring the best coaches, not limiting ourselves into a box. We aren't byu. We are talking a century, not a few hires.
So you have nothing more than your very base argument. There are so many other factors that could figure into this, but it is obvious that you aren't interested in anything other than. How many minority coaches were available over the last century? How many head coaching hires have we made over the last century? Which minority coaching candidates were available at the time we were making the hire? How many were interested when we were making the hire? Your argument is shallow. I would be happy to hear of any evidence that we didn't hire a qualified minority coach in the past. Otherwise, you are making a shallow argument for the purpose of slamming your schools poor performance over the last century. I think we all get it, we haven't been very good in athletics in our lifetimes.
You are right I don't have specific data on who was trying to be the volleyball coach in 1968 and who was turned down for what reason or who were the finalists for the tennis coach in 1972 and what went into the hiring.

My point stands that we have had limited searches in the past. We are talking 100+ years. I don't know if there should be a rooney rule equivalent, but if you expand your coaching search, you are naturally going to bring in a more diverse group of candidates and actually hire the best person for the job which I don't believe we have always done. If our poor record on hiring minorities over the last century is fine with you, we'll just have to disagree respectfully and leave it at that.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18191
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 955 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by NVAggie » May 27th, 2021, 9:45 am

I don't believe I ever said I am against hiring minorities. It is obvious to everyone, including you, that you have a very shallow argument here. That is why everyone has disputed your posts. Instead of offering better supporting information, you just throw out slights towards others that have no merit. I think we all agree that USU should have a robust and expanded search for head coach hires. If that brings more minority coaches then that is great.

Let's be honest, your point won't stand because it is shallow and will be blown over rather easily. Let me help you out a little bit. Lack of diversity is a problem throughout the country when it comes to hiring head coaches. Here is one article from Dec 2020 talking about African American coaches currently employed in college football. With the amount of money and focus on college football, one would assume this would be a good place to start when considering a look into college coaching diversity. USU is not alone in this issue. USU has improved, but still needs improvement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... excuses-it



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 27th, 2021, 10:00 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 9:45 am
I don't believe I ever said I am against hiring minorities. It is obvious to everyone, including you, that you have a very shallow argument here. That is why everyone has disputed your posts. Instead of offering better supporting information, you just throw out slights towards others that have no merit. I think we all agree that USU should have a robust and expanded search for head coach hires. If that brings more minority coaches then that is great.

Let's be honest, your point won't stand because it is shallow and will be blown over rather easily. Let me help you out a little bit. Lack of diversity is a problem throughout the country when it comes to hiring head coaches. Here is one article from Dec 2020 talking about African American coaches currently employed in college football. With the amount of money and focus on college football, one would assume this would be a good place to start when considering a look into college coaching diversity. USU is not alone in this issue. USU has improved, but still needs improvement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... excuses-it
That doesn't hurt my point at all or blow it out of anything. It is exactly my point. I never said "USU was the only school that had issues with hiring minorities." I actually was going to post a similar argument and expand the point to athletics beyond USU, but I thought this thread had run its course. There is nothing shallow about wanting the best person hired for the job. Yes, the problem is far bigger than USU, nobody would argue differently.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 27th, 2021, 10:05 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
Exactly. So much badmouthing of USU hiring and recruiting demographics involves nothing more than argument by assertion or reference to decades old anecdotes justifying the assertions.

If a black coach that might be a great fit doesn't apply or, if he does, turns down an offer, for whatever reason, that's not USU's AD's fault.

The OP wouldn't have generated much commentary at all but for the ex- and implicit slam on USU on matters racial .


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 27th, 2021, 10:08 am

USU78 wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:05 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
Exactly. So much badmouthing of USU hiring and recruiting demographics involves nothing more than argument by assertion or reference to decades old anecdotes justifying the assertions.

If a black coach that might be a great fit doesn't apply or, if he does, turns down an offer, for whatever reason, that's not USU's AD's fault.

The OP wouldn't have generated much commentary at all but for the ex- and implicit slam on USU on matters racial .
It isn't badmouthing USU to have this discussion. It has probably been done internally and is a bigger problem than just USU.



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 2487
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 819 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by sam tingey » May 27th, 2021, 10:12 am

I just hope he plays with 2 strikers and is more offense oriented. Nothing kills excitement in soccer like packing the back line and hunkering down on defense. I hope he has some plan to win the midfield. it is amazing how that is where the game usually is won or lost.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiUSU78



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 27th, 2021, 10:16 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:08 am
USU78 wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:05 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
Exactly. So much badmouthing of USU hiring and recruiting demographics involves nothing more than argument by assertion or reference to decades old anecdotes justifying the assertions.

If a black coach that might be a great fit doesn't apply or, if he does, turns down an offer, for whatever reason, that's not USU's AD's fault.

The OP wouldn't have generated much commentary at all but for the ex- and implicit slam on USU on matters racial .
It isn't badmouthing USU to have this discussion. It has probably been done internally and is a bigger problem than just USU.
Prolly is done all the time when postmorteming hiring/recruiting searches. Whole lotta negative recruiting and hiring practices out there. With USU dancing on the edge of zoob/taterzoob success levels in both major sports these days, there's more reason to go negative. We're a target because we've made big strides


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 10354
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 2917 times
Been thanked: 876 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by USU78 » May 27th, 2021, 10:17 am

sam tingey wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:12 am
I just hope he plays with 2 strikers and is more offense oriented. Nothing kills excitement in soccer like packing the back line and hunkering down on defense. I hope he has some plan to win the midfield. it is amazing how that is where the game usually is won or lost.
The guy did great at UO. I'm reasonably confident he will do well here.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

stang
Posts: 884
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by stang » May 27th, 2021, 1:25 pm

USU78 wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:05 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
Exactly. So much badmouthing of USU hiring and recruiting demographics involves nothing more than argument by assertion or reference to decades old anecdotes justifying the assertions.

If a black coach that might be a great fit doesn't apply or, if he does, turns down an offer, for whatever reason, that's not USU's AD's fault.

The OP wouldn't have generated much commentary at all but for the ex- and implicit slam on USU on matters racial .
I literally just said that I was surprised to learn he was the first minority head coach in USU history (which was then corrected, as he's the second). I don't quite see how that's a "slam", quit being so dramatic and return to your hole.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5546
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1177 times

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 27th, 2021, 2:57 pm

stang wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 1:25 pm
USU78 wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:05 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 7:54 am
You are making some big leaps when I doubt you even know what options were available to USU during each coaching vacancy. I'm not saying you are wrong, but without more evidence, you can't really say that USU has shunned minorities from head coaching vacancies. If you have more details, I would love to hear what you have.
Exactly. So much badmouthing of USU hiring and recruiting demographics involves nothing more than argument by assertion or reference to decades old anecdotes justifying the assertions.

If a black coach that might be a great fit doesn't apply or, if he does, turns down an offer, for whatever reason, that's not USU's AD's fault.

The OP wouldn't have generated much commentary at all but for the ex- and implicit slam on USU on matters racial .
I literally just said that I was surprised to learn he was the first minority head coach in USU history (which was then corrected, as he's the second). I don't quite see how that's a "slam", quit being so dramatic and return to your hole.
To be fair I played a part in this thread going south with my joke about Seldomseensmith that triggered a bunch of the "I don't see color and how dare anyone question why we've only had white coaches for 100 years" crowd.

I do believe a serious discussion should be had on the topic of our abysmal hiring history and it is crazy anyone could defend it, but this thread shouldn't have been where it took place. This thread should stayed focused on Manny Martins and the Soccer program.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6138
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 469 times
Contact:

Re: Manny Martins hired as women's soccer coach

Post by TheAKAggie » May 28th, 2021, 10:59 am

sam tingey wrote:I just hope he plays with 2 strikers and is more offense oriented. Nothing kills excitement in soccer like packing the back line and hunkering down on defense. I hope he has some plan to win the midfield. it is amazing how that is where the game usually is won or lost.
Ain’t nobody playing with two strikers, what is this, the80’s?!? Hell the champions league final is being played with no strikers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
sam tingey


Hail Aggies!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic