BYU Built Bar

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

Re: BYU Built Bar

Post by Yossarian » December 11th, 2021, 12:35 am

Eutaw St. Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 11th, 2021, 12:46 am

That article says:
"Among prohibitions, NIL compensation cannot be given or offered to players based on their enrollment at specific schools, meaning it can't be dependent on their commitment to play for a school."

So based on that shouldn't Ohio State be in trouble as they had a company offer a kid $1 million to drop out of. High School to go play there. And then Texas who now has a company offering the kid even more to go play at Texas now?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 11th, 2021, 9:20 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 12:46 am
That article says:
"Among prohibitions, NIL compensation cannot be given or offered to players based on their enrollment at specific schools, meaning it can't be dependent on their commitment to play for a school."

So based on that shouldn't Ohio State be in trouble as they had a company offer a kid $1 million to drop out of. High School to go play there. And then Texas who now has a company offering the kid even more to go play at Texas now?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
But can it be based on the value of being a 5* recruit? The policy is screwed up and it's why I predicted tons of unforeseen consequences. BYU is engaging in literal pay-for-play. If you sign up to play football for BYU you will have tuition paid for regardless of merit.

BYU probably wont win the "we can pay our players" most race but they were the first. I think the NCAA is trying to set boundaries. If a P5 school not named Alabama, Florida,, Ohio State or Georgia were to have been first the NCAA might investigate them.

The athletes had a narrow win in Alston and the NCAA caved to NIL as they partially had to & the writing was on the wall. But the NCAA probably does have an ability to intervene in relation to how athletes are paid when a member institution is directly involved in procuring the deal. We shall see.

Ultimately I think this was the first shoe dropping in the end of the NCAA's life.

Locked Previous topicNext topic