Braves and Astros both to Fall Classic

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

Re: Braves and Astros both to Fall Classic

Post by Yossarian » October 27th, 2021, 7:39 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 9:33 am
Loved the Braves as a kid watching them on TBS. I can still tell you their lineup from the early 90's with David Justice, Fred McGriff, Mark Lemke, Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, etc. Those were the glory days with Smoltz, Maddux, and Glavine.

I fell off the baseball bandwagon all together later and don't really have a team anymore...although I'm pulling for the Braves this year out of nostalgia.
That Braves pitching staff with Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine and Steve Avery was something to admire. They were good.

Eutaw St. Aggie

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 27th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:39 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Loved the Braves as a kid watching them on TBS. I can still tell you their lineup from the early 90's with David Justice, Fred McGriff, Mark Lemke, Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, etc. Those were the glory days with Smoltz, Maddux, and Glavine.

I fell off the baseball bandwagon all together later and don't really have a team anymore...although I'm pulling for the Braves this year out of nostalgia.
That Braves pitching staff with Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine and Steve Avery was something to admire. They were good.
That is arguably the greatest staff within at least the last 50 years. My baseball knowledge is now a bit fuzzy back farther than that.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 27th, 2021, 9:04 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

The 90’s Braves defined my childhood, so, I would have sworn Lemke was a borderline all-star. When I looked at his stats as an adult, I could not believe how bad he actually was.

I will always love the Lemmer but TBS gaslighted the entire country into thinking he was a very good player.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieOKAggie

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » October 27th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Yossarian wrote:
breadysmith wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:19 am
I’m a lifelong Braves fan and when they were below .500 and Acuna blows up his knee I thought they were done for this year. The moves they made proved to be just right and the team really came together and it’s proving to be pretty special.

Also nice that most of the world will get behind the Braves in this one when going up against the cheating asterisks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How far back does your Braves fandom go? I grew up (well, at least from about junior high school when we finally got cable TV) watching the Braves and Cubs on TBS and WGN, respectively. That was back in the Dale Murphy years (I met Dale and have an autographed baseball from him). Bob Horner, Otis Nixon, Terry Pendleton, Gene Garber, Bruce Benedict, Glenn Hubbard, Pascual Perez, Claudell Washington, and the rest.
Yossarian…I’m the same time frame. My family on my dads side come from South Carolina near the Georgia border, so they’d been Braves fans back to the Hank Aaron days. I was born in ‘79 so was pretty little during the 80’s but with the family ties and Murphy there and being on TBS all the time I always cheered for the Braves even though they were terrible. I’d make stupid trades with baseball cards just to make sure I got all the Braves guys. I also have a ball signed by Dale Murphy that my uncle got me.

Then ‘91 happened and it became easy to be a Braves fan. Loved so many of those guys from the early 90’s…Sid Bream rounding third looking like he was going to die and barely beat that throw…our house went nuts!! Ron Gant was always one of my favorites…so was TP and Dave Justice.
Then obviously the amazing pitching staff and the young core with Chipper, Javy, Klesko and Andruw Jones a little later.

These days I’m happy to see Freeman get his shot as he stuck through the rebuilding years. Only regret is with all the success they had during that 20 year run…only 1 World Series title to show for it.

I do have to say…1997 was a great year for me. All 3 of my teams played in the championship with the Packers, Braves and Jazz. The Aggies even made it to a bowl game that year and to the Big Dance as well. So far the best sports year of my life.

These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
Yossarian

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 28th, 2021, 12:01 am

Because there’s a lot of 90’s Braves nostalgia in this thread, I’m gonna tell my John Smoltz story.

It was 2013 at the San Francisco airport after the World Baseball Classic. I saw Smoltz and debated for 30 minutes if I should approach him. He was with Harold Reynolds.

I finally decided I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. When I approached them, Reynolds looked at me like “oh no…here we go again.” Smoltz greeted me with a smile.

I said, “I’m sorry to bother you but I’m a lifelong Braves fan and I’ll never forgive myself if I don’t shake your hand.” He proceeded to talk to me for half an hour, making me feel like I was the Hall of Famer and he was the random fan.

I know some people don’t like his broadcasting. I get it. But he is legitimately the nicest person in the world.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
Yossarian

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 28th, 2021, 12:09 am

breadysmith wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 10:34 pm
Yossarian wrote:
breadysmith wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:19 am
I’m a lifelong Braves fan and when they were below .500 and Acuna blows up his knee I thought they were done for this year. The moves they made proved to be just right and the team really came together and it’s proving to be pretty special.

Also nice that most of the world will get behind the Braves in this one when going up against the cheating asterisks.

How far back does your Braves fandom go? I grew up (well, at least from about junior high school when we finally got cable TV) watching the Braves and Cubs on TBS and WGN, respectively. That was back in the Dale Murphy years (I met Dale and have an autographed baseball from him). Bob Horner, Otis Nixon, Terry Pendleton, Gene Garber, Bruce Benedict, Glenn Hubbard, Pascual Perez, Claudell Washington, and the rest.
Yossarian…I’m the same time frame. My family on my dads side come from South Carolina near the Georgia border, so they’d been Braves fans back to the Hank Aaron days. I was born in ‘79 so was pretty little during the 80’s but with the family ties and Murphy there and being on TBS all the time I always cheered for the Braves even though they were terrible. I’d make stupid trades with baseball cards just to make sure I got all the Braves guys. I also have a ball signed by Dale Murphy that my uncle got me.

Then ‘91 happened and it became easy to be a Braves fan. Loved so many of those guys from the early 90’s…Sid Bream rounding third looking like he was going to die and barely beat that throw…our house went nuts!! Ron Gant was always one of my favorites…so was TP and Dave Justice.
Then obviously the amazing pitching staff and the young core with Chipper, Javy, Klesko and Andruw Jones a little later.

These days I’m happy to see Freeman get his shot as he stuck through the rebuilding years. Only regret is with all the success they had during that 20 year run…only 1 World Series title to show for it.

I do have to say…1997 was a great year for me. All 3 of my teams played in the championship with the Packers, Braves and Jazz. The Aggies even made it to a bowl game that year and to the Big Dance as well. So far the best sports year of my life.

I am a lifelong Oriole fan. I just didn't have any way to watch my team play back then. As a baseball fan, i got my fix growing up watching the Cubs and Braves. I did enjoy watching those teams, even if they weren't successful.

I now have the MLB subscription with my YouTube TV. I get to watch all the Orioles games I want, now. Even though this year we were eliminated in like early May, i enjoy watching my team. And Jim Palmer doing the analysis in games is a joy.

For Mario - i really like listening to Smoltz and his analysis. That's cool you got to meet him.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
MarioWest

Eutaw St. Aggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 29th, 2021, 12:55 pm

OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:23 am
MarioWest wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Morton’s injury is a death sentence for my beloved Braves. Starting pitching was our advantage over the Astros. Even if we hang on here, I can’t see us winning this series without him.
As a diehard Astros fan, I can honestly say, and believe this is universally true: we would rather lose the series with Charlie Morton healthy than see him hurt to win it. Charlie Morton is one of the most beloved Astros ever, and it made us as sick to see him walk off the field last night as it did Braves Nation.
Hang on there, hoss. We've got Verlander out for the entire year, and LMJ out after the ALDS because of his UCL issues. While I feel terribly for Uncle Charlie, I'm not about to say I'd rather lose with him in there than win with him in the dugout.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 29th, 2021, 9:46 pm

I would really like to see the Braves win the series in Atlanta. I want to hear the greeting those fans give Rob Manfred when he presents the trophy to the Braves after pulling the All Star game out of Atlanta this summer for some inexplicable reason.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 29th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Go braves! I know next to nothing about baseball but it’s fun to see the braves do well for some reason.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 30th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Okay - did the organ player in Atlanta just play "It's a Small World" as Altuve came up to bat?

Altuve got the last laugh, though, with a bomb to straight away center. His 23rd post season home run. Amazing for a 5'6" 160 pound guy.

Eutaw St. Aggie

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 30th, 2021, 10:31 pm

I don’t know but Altuve has to be the Astros MVP thus far.

The Braves are only 1 win away, wow!!!!

I got a photo with Dale Murphy, like 15 years ago. I thought that was amazing, but your story about talking with Smoltz for 30 mins has to be a special one for sure. Those 90’s Braves were my heroes growing up.

What a classic and great series this has been. Who woulda thought we would see this kind of pitching performance from both teams. Nail biters all the way through.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 31st, 2021, 7:38 pm

I think it's time for the organist in Atlanta to give up. After playing "It's a Small World" as Altuve came to the plate yesterday, Altuve homered. Then he plays "Free Fallin'" as a struggling Bregman comes up. Bregman proceeds to hit a 2-run double. It's backfiring in the Braves.

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 31st, 2021, 8:53 pm

Yossarian wrote:I think it's time for the organist in Atlanta to give up. After playing "It's a Small World" as Altuve came to the plate yesterday, Altuve homered. Then he plays "Free Fallin'" as a struggling Bregman comes up. Bregman proceeds to hit a 2-run double. It's backfiring in the Braves.
He better be careful or the astros will win the series 4-1

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 31st, 2021, 11:10 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 7:38 pm
I think it's time for the organist in Atlanta to give up. After playing "It's a Small World" as Altuve came to the plate yesterday, Altuve homered. Then he plays "Free Fallin'" as a struggling Bregman comes up. Bregman proceeds to hit a 2-run double. It's backfiring in the Braves.
Love it! The beautiful intersection of obscure music references and ballplayer knowledge. Got a kick out of Old Man River when Pujols was batting in the LCS. Some of my faves - see if you can solve them:

Heard it in a Love Song
Spain (by Return to Forever)
I am the Walrus

Nobody here knows anything.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 31st, 2021, 11:15 pm

OKAggie wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 11:10 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Love it! The beautiful intersection of obscure music references and ballplayer knowledge. Got a kick out of Old Man River when Pujols was batting in the LCS. Some of my faves - see if you can solve them:

Heard it in a Love Song
I am the Walrus
I've got to guess Brandon Love was the inspiration of Heard it in a Love Song

David Wells brought on I am the Walrus?

I don't have any guess for the other one

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 31st, 2021, 11:45 pm

Yossarian wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 11:15 pm
OKAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Heard it in a Love Song
I am the Walrus

Nah, they were all during Astros ABs tonight.

Heard it in a Love Song is by Marshall Tucker (Kyle Tucker)
Pianist for Return to Forever was Chick Corea (Carlos Correa)
I Am the Walrus -- a little more obscure, but seems to be from "I am the eggman" (Bregman)

That tiny little Venn overlap between pop music nerds and baseball fans -- there might only be a handful that get/enjoy it, but I'm in that group.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
Yossarian

Nobody here knows anything.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 2nd, 2021, 6:15 pm

The Braves’ organist involves himself a bit too much for my taste (the Hawks’ organist is even worse—apparently it’s an Atlanta thing) but I have to admit that playing “John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt” when John Jay batted was pretty funny.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 2nd, 2021, 7:44 pm

Braves with a couple of bombs here in Game 6.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 2nd, 2021, 8:01 pm

OKAggie wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 11:45 pm
Yossarian wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 11:15 pm
OKAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Heard it in a Love Song
I am the Walrus

Nah, they were all during Astros ABs tonight.

Heard it in a Love Song is by Marshall Tucker (Kyle Tucker)
Pianist for Return to Forever was Chick Corea (Carlos Correa)
I Am the Walrus -- a little more obscure, but seems to be from "I am the eggman" (Bregman)

That tiny little Venn overlap between pop music nerds and baseball fans -- there might only be a handful that get/enjoy it, but I'm in that group.
I would have played "Can't you See?"

Eutaw St. Aggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 3rd, 2021, 5:47 am

Good job Braves. the wife is happy. I find it easy to root for freddie freeman even if he is canadian. I was still very happy that the giants could beat the dodgers for the nl west title this year. I wasn't expecting anything from them and then they end up with the best season record in all MLB. I don't think the Braves will be able to do it next year.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » November 3rd, 2021, 7:44 am

Yossarian wrote:Braves with a couple of bombs here in Game 6.
That Soler homer was an absolute blast. He murdered that thing.

So fun to watch Freddie and Snitker get a title after all their time and commitment to the organization.

Now I hope the Braves can get Freddie resigned.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am

MarioWest wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 12:01 am
Because there’s a lot of 90’s Braves nostalgia in this thread, I’m gonna tell my John Smoltz story.

It was 2013 at the San Francisco airport after the World Baseball Classic. I saw Smoltz and debated for 30 minutes if I should approach him. He was with Harold Reynolds.

I finally decided I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. When I approached them, Reynolds looked at me like “oh no…here we go again.” Smoltz greeted me with a smile.

I said, “I’m sorry to bother you but I’m a lifelong Braves fan and I’ll never forgive myself if I don’t shake your hand.” He proceeded to talk to me for half an hour, making me feel like I was the Hall of Famer and he was the random fan.

I know some people don’t like his broadcasting. I get it. But he is legitimately the nicest person in the world.
Who doesn't like his broadcasting? I think he does a great job.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 3rd, 2021, 11:14 am

breadysmith wrote:
November 3rd, 2021, 7:44 am
Yossarian wrote:Braves with a couple of bombs here in Game 6.
That Soler homer was an absolute blast. He murdered that thing.

So fun to watch Freddie and Snitker get a title after all their time and commitment to the organization.

Now I hope the Braves can get Freddie resigned.

Yes - that Soler homer was crushed.

I can't imagine Freeman in another uniform. He is easy to root for. Albies, Acuna and Fried, as well. All seem like really good people that are easy to cheer for.

My Orioles are building. The future is looking bright with a ton of talent in the minors. I'm thinking they start to be competitive in 2024 and make their push for a penant (and beyond???) in 2025-26. For the first time ever, I would read minor league box scores from the O's farm as much as the major leagues.

Eutaw St. Aggie

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am
MarioWest wrote:

I can’t speak for the rest of the country, but Braves nation was irate. Most of us (not me) thought he was overcompensating and biased towards Houston.

I am probably in a Braves bubble but a lot of people here were soooooo mad at him.

Not anymore though. No one here is mad about anything right now. This city has never been so euphoric.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 3rd, 2021, 6:10 pm

MarioWest wrote:
November 3rd, 2021, 4:31 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am
MarioWest wrote:

I can’t speak for the rest of the country, but Braves nation was irate. Most of us (not me) thought he was overcompensating and biased towards Houston.

I am probably in a Braves bubble but a lot of people here were soooooo mad at him.

Not anymore though. No one here is mad about anything right now. This city has never been so euphoric.
I thought he was very fair and even in his analysis. Houston has a good team - even Braves fans should be able to admit that. Smoltz didn't spend time talking about being a former Brave - unless prompted by Buck. I am sure Smoltz was smiling inside at the results of the game/series. Braves fans could not have <reasonably> expected Smoltz to fawn all over the Braves on a national broadcast of the World Series - that would have been very uncool.

Eutaw St. Aggie

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 3rd, 2021, 9:09 pm

It’s so awesome the Braves got the Championship!! Much respect to the Brewers, dodgers and Astros.

So freaking awesome!!!

SLB

Post by SLB » November 4th, 2021, 4:27 pm

I am bummed that Dusty Baker didn't win the WS. He has been so close so many times as a manager.

Locked Previous topicNext topic