Saban Rant

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie19

Saban Rant

Post by Aggie19 » November 25th, 2021, 8:21 am

I'm not a Saban fan for the most part, but I think he makes some good points here.

Go Aggies!

Aggie84025

Re: Saban Rant

Post by Aggie84025 » November 25th, 2021, 9:31 am

That was awesome, I am not a Saban lover, but I do appreciate his honesty and his willingness to speak what is on his mind.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2021, 10:15 am

I’m curious why you guys don’t love saban?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 25th, 2021, 10:21 am

slcagg wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 10:15 am
I can't really point at anything, I just have never liked him much maybe because I loathe Alabama. I respect him because he is an awesome coach.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
slcagg

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 25th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 10:21 am
slcagg wrote:
I can't really point at anything, I just have never liked him much maybe because I loathe Alabama. I respect him because he is an awesome coach.
It's funny, I'm kind of the same way, can't completely pinpoint it. There is not anything specific really, he's a condescending (I can't express myself without swearing) sometimes, but aren't we all. He's built a hugely successful business, I respect that. TBH, he reminds me of someone that bugs the hell out of me on the daily, probably a very irrational part of it 🤣
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
slcagg

Go Aggies!

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 25th, 2021, 1:07 pm

I listened to a couple minutes and heard whining about
1-getting "everyone's best every week" then
2-about having high expectations to win from the A fans.
3-"the players want to win more than me, you, etc"

#1 if he thinks that teams are going out at less than their best against anyone else then I think he's not really buying his own later comments (#3)
#2 even around here there are high expectations. US was 1 and whatever last year - last week we were wanting to end up 10-2, with likely calls for changes in the chat room during the game on Sat night (I wasn't online, I was pissing and moaning in the stands for once!). Now we're expecting 9-3 this week -with a win next week and in a bowl.

Every coach can make the same arguments - I don't have empathy or sympathy for him or his guys.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2021, 3:20 pm

slcagg wrote:
He acts like a jerk most of the time.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2021, 3:52 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 3:20 pm
slcagg wrote:
Well whatever he is doing he must be doing it right as there are more players in the nfl from alabama than any school and most consistent team in college football since he took over. I also not sure I remember a past player talk negatively about saban (I’m sure there is one, but very few if there are),

Full

Post by Full » November 25th, 2021, 4:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
I'll give you my biggest beef. The times when he complains about teams that don't play tough competition while playing 8 conference games, three money games and one P5 opponent. When was the last time Bama had trouble getting a home and home? They play the sisters of the poor and portray themselves as the savior to the schools they allow to play them, while acting like a victim of having to play a schedule with the teams they pay to be on it. Saban said he wants to cut ties with non-P5 teams. “I can promise you that we want to play more games against Power 5 teams and should play more games against Power 5 teams." If that's really what he wanted, it would happen.

His thoughts on the non-P5 teams "I'm not even opposed to giving them money so they can have programs. But nobody wants to come to watch some of these games, and the players are getting to the point where they don't want to play in these games, just like players don't want to play in bowl games. How many players opt out of bowl games?" Followed up with "I'm not really wanting to play those schools, but they need to get some money. We still have to do some kind of revenue sharing with them or they're not going to have programs. Nobody is going to want to do that, but then you're going to have a bunch of kids that don't get an opportunity to go to college or get scholarships and have an opportunity to play. I don't think everybody looks at the whole picture." I get that USU is scheduled to play at Alabama next season, and maybe his players don't want to play in another money game. However, Alabama outbid other teams to have USU on the schedule. USU picked the most money, not because USU didn't have any other options to get some money.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
AGinNEIowa

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 25th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Full wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 4:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
I'll give you my biggest beef. The times when he complains about teams that don't play tough competition while playing 8 conference games, three money games and one P5 opponent. When was the last time Bama had trouble getting a home and home? They play the sisters of the poor and portray themselves as the savior to the schools they allow to play them, while acting like a victim of having to play a schedule with the teams they pay to be on it. Saban said he wants to cut ties with non-P5 teams. “I can promise you that we want to play more games against Power 5 teams and should play more games against Power 5 teams." If that's really what he wanted, it would happen.

His thoughts on the non-P5 teams "I'm not even opposed to giving them money so they can have programs. But nobody wants to come to watch some of these games, and the players are getting to the point where they don't want to play in these games, just like players don't want to play in bowl games. How many players opt out of bowl games?" Followed up with "I'm not really wanting to play those schools, but they need to get some money. We still have to do some kind of revenue sharing with them or they're not going to have programs. Nobody is going to want to do that, but then you're going to have a bunch of kids that don't get an opportunity to go to college or get scholarships and have an opportunity to play. I don't think everybody looks at the whole picture." I get that USU is scheduled to play at Alabama next season, and maybe his players don't want to play in another money game. However, Alabama outbid other teams to have USU on the schedule. USU picked the most money, not because USU didn't have any other options to get some money.
username should be FullOfWisdom

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 25th, 2021, 7:00 pm

slcagg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Well whatever he is doing he must be doing it right as there are more players in the nfl from alabama than any school and most consistent team in college football since he took over. I also not sure I remember a past player talk negatively about saban (I’m sure there is one, but very few if there are),
Yeah he’s a jerk that wins games. His winning percentage wasn’t the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2021, 7:03 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 7:00 pm
slcagg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yeah he’s a jerk that wins games. His winning percentage wasn’t the question.

He could be, I just think you are unfairly judging him most likely because he wins.

Btw here is the work of a jerk.

https://www.nickskidsfoundation.org/

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 25th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Full wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 4:10 pm
slcagg wrote:

The entire sec schedules this way and even other top p5s as well. I do agree the sec should go to 9 conference games rather than play nmsu in November but playing 8 sec opponents is probably a stronger schedule than playing 9 pac12, acc or big 12 opponents. You are partly correct they play g5 schools but also usually have at least one marquee non conference game (that is usually a early season kickoff special. So I don’t think you are entirely correct in your comment.

And a lot of what you have him saying is truth in today’s landscape. Our money game is extremely to a program like usu. So I can see your point on why he bugs you but thinks he’s pretty honest in his comments.

I appreciate your post and can understand why he can bug people.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Take the best DB in the MWC. Saban has 10 that good or better. He has more than he can use. Is that good for the player? How many players on Alabama would be better off somewhere else?
Saban is a great salesman - but he's all about Saban.

Not saying he shouldn't be. Not saying other coaches aren't. Just don't ask me to admire him (or the other coaches) for it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
2004AG

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2021, 6:12 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 11:13 pm
Take the best DB in the MWC. Saban has 10 that good or better. He has more than he can use. Is that good for the player? How many players on Alabama would be better off somewhere else?

Not saying he shouldn't be. Not saying other coaches aren't. Just don't ask me to admire him (or the other coaches) for it.
Interesting take. So am I understanding correctly in saying that by that logic all coaches and people driven to be successful In their careers probably a little self focused? Or am I misunderstanding?

You are right he signs a class of 25 guys each year (just like everyone else). Never mind the point that they will have the best facilities and opportunity to succeed if they can rise to the top in the program (just like every program and depth you aren’t guaranteed anything). He operates under the same rules as everyone else for roster management. Commits know the competition will be great (just read what they say as they commit and why they want to go there). They know there are no guarantees and competition will be tough.

Admiring is not the same as realizing that your opinion about someone is exactly that. An opinion. You are projecting something you likely have very little first hand knowledge on. And I can’t say if he is all about himself either. But I haven’t seen proof of that from his career and don’t think your example is that and really don’t think he is any different than someone who is motivated to succeed. Otherwise we all our only about ourselves (which is probably at least partially true).

I do have a problem with college football and how much any of these coaches are getting paid.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 26th, 2021, 8:44 am

slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 6:12 am
brownjeans wrote:

Interesting take. So by that logic aren’t all coaches and people driven to be successful In their careers probably a little self focused?

You are right he signs a class of 25 guys each year (just like everyone else). Never mind the point that they will have the best facilities and opportunity to succeed if they can rise to the top in the program (just like every program and depth you aren’t guaranteed anything). He operates under the same rules as everyone else for roster management. Commits know the competition will be great (just read what they say as they commit and why they want to go there). They know there are no guarantees and competition will be tough.

Admiring is not the same as realizing that your opinion about someone is exactly that. An opinion. You are projecting something you likely have very little first hand knowledge on. And I can’t say if he is all about himself either. But I haven’t seen proof of that from his career and don’t think your example is that and really don’t think he is any different than someone who is motivated to succeed. Otherwise we all our only about ourselves (which is probably at least partially true).
Yes, people who are driven to be successful in their careers are probably a little self focused. I think we celebrate selfishness, greed, ambition at the cost of others, as admirable. Is it really?
Many of the people who are great in their professional lives are aweful in other respects but we praise them for being successful. Are they really?

I acknowledge that my choice to not praise or admire Saban (or many others who society holds in high regard for their professional achievements) is my choice based on my values. I understand why some choose to praise and admire him (them), there are plenty who do - none of them need my praise or admiration.
I'm not a guy who would ever tell my son who to take or not take a scholarship from, but if Saban came to our home and offered my son a scholarship I'd make sure my son shook off the excitement of having Saban give him a visit and consider that he might spend a large part of his football career at Alabama merely practicing and rarely playing - even if he's really, really good. I'd be sure that my son thinks about how much he wants to play and what he wants to do education wise. After that, what he chooses is up to him.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2021, 8:50 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:44 am
slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 6:12 am
brownjeans wrote:

Interesting take. So by that logic aren’t all coaches and people driven to be successful In their careers probably a little self focused?

Yes, people who are driven to be successful in their careers are probably a little self focused. I think we celebrate selfishness, greed, ambition at the cost of others, as admirable. Is it really?
Many of the people who are great in their professional lives are aweful in other respects but we praise them for being successful. Are they really?

I acknowledge that my choice to not praise or admire Saban (or many others who society holds in high regard for their professional achievements) is my choice based on my values. I understand why some choose to praise and admire him (them), there are plenty who do - none of them need my praise or admiration.
I'm not a guy who would ever tell my son who to take or not take a scholarship from, but if Saban came to our home and offered my son a scholarship I'd make sure my son shook off the excitement of having Saban give him a visit and consider that he might spend a large part of his football career at Alabama merely practicing and rarely playing - even if he's really, really good. I'd be sure that my son thinks about how much he wants to play and what he wants to do education wise. After that, what he chooses is up to him.
I think that is fair. But if my son was good enough in football to receive an offer from alabama I’d also think he would have the potential to play there as well. I’d choose to build confidence but ultimately let him make the decision. And if he did end up only practicing there probably aren’t many coaches as dedicated to discipline and other attributes that can be transferred to other arenas of life as saban.

I agree with your point that a successful career doesn’t mean you are a good person. However I challenge you to find something saban has done in his personal life to challenge that he isn’t a decent person.

I think you know where I stand on where success should be measured (based on conversations in the sandbox). And you bring up a good point. Saban seems to have done well in that arena as well, unless you have an example.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2021, 8:59 am

Anyways I’m not arguing if someone’s son should play for him.

I’m just pointing out he isn’t a bad person. He just wins and wins and wins and that makes him unlikable to some.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 26th, 2021, 9:28 am

slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:50 am
I think that is fair. But if my son was good enough in football to receive an offer from alabama I’d also think he would have the potential to play there as well. I’d choose to build confidence but ultimately let him make the decision. And if he did end up only practicing there probably aren’t many coaches as dedicated to discipline and other attributes that can be transferred to other arenas of life as saban.

I agree with your point that a successful career doesn’t mean you are a good person. However I challenge you to find something saban has done in his personal life to challenge that he isn’t a decent person.

I think you know where I stand on where success should be measured (based on conversations in the sandbox). And you bring up a good point. Saban seems to have done well in that arena as well, unless you have an example.
I've never read anything that would cause me to throw shade at Saban's personal life. Married to the same woman his entire life (high-school sweethearts). They seem involved in charities and his wife seems great. If their marriage is like most long-lasting marriages, she's probably so great that it makes him a better man. I would wager Terry's more amazing than Nick.
I've never seen any reports of scandals. No stripper girlfriends with attack monkeys or anything like that.

Can't say I hate the guy, honestly don't know enough about him to give him praise or hate. I suppose it's more about my reluctance to praise people based only on professional success as a metric for my praise.

Back to Alabama and how I think many players would be better off somewhere else. I read that many NFL GMs have a hard time evaluating Alabama players. Many Alabama starters are starters for just one year. Some players never start - but are great. Some appear dominant - but are they dominant because they are amazing, or because they are surrounded by other amazing players (rising tide - pun intended)?
While being offered a sholarship to play Alabama football would be amazing, it can't be denied that Alabama's sustained success, depth, and dominance in college football has put Alabama players in a circumstance with unique problems that shouldn't be dismissed.
One benefit is that because so many Alabama players declare for the NFL as underclassmen, a player may find themselves rising in the depth chart that way. However if a star recruit passes you, well there's always the transfer portal I guess.
slcagg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 26th, 2021, 9:33 am

Aside: For those looking to hate someone who has way more than their fair share of success, there's way more evidence to support Tom Brady being a terrible person than there is Nick Saban.
If you need to hate someone successful, hate Tom Brady. :devil:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 26th, 2021, 10:08 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 9:28 am
slcagg wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:50 am

I've never read anything that would cause me to throw shade at Saban's personal life. Married to the same woman his entire life (high-school sweethearts). They seem involved in charities and his wife seems great. If their marriage is like most long-lasting marriages, she's probably so great that it makes him a better man. I would wager Terry's more amazing than Nick.
I've never seen any reports of scandals. No stripper girlfriends with attack monkeys or anything like that.

Can't say I hate the guy, honestly don't know enough about him to give him praise or hate. I suppose it's more about my reluctance to praise people based only on professional success as a metric for my praise.

Back to Alabama and how I think many players would be better off somewhere else. I read that many NFL GMs have a hard time evaluating Alabama players. Many Alabama starters are starters for just one year. Some players never start - but are great. Some appear dominant - but are they dominant because they are amazing, or because they are surrounded by other amazing players (rising tide - pun intended)?
While being offered a sholarship to play Alabama football would be amazing, it can't be denied that Alabama's sustained success, depth, and dominance in college football has put Alabama players in a circumstance with unique problems that shouldn't be dismissed.
One benefit is that because so many Alabama players declare for the NFL as underclassmen, a player may find themselves rising in the depth chart that way. However if a star recruit passes you, well there's always the transfer portal I guess.
Absolutely right imo, professional success is about the last metric Someone should be measured.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 27th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Don’t know how many saw this on game day but thought I’d share. Pretty good work and to brownjeans point it seems Nick married a great lady.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Aggie19brownjeans

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 27th, 2021, 1:48 pm

If you’re not the Saban fan club president already, you should be.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 27th, 2021, 2:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 1:48 pm
If you’re not the Saban fan club president already, you should be.

Trying my best. And just for you 2004.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 27th, 2021, 10:14 pm

I find that the reason people dislike Saban is the most recognizable figure and bigger name in the SEC. People not in the SEC often very much dislike the SEC and Saban gets the brunt of that. People who do like the SEC often dislike Saban because they like other sec teams.

It’s the same reason I dislike Sitake and Whittingham. The stupid Y or drum on their shirts is all the reason I need to say “F them”. If they wore a bad azz bull on their shirt I’d love them.

One thing I’ll say despite how much I loathe Utah, I like the tacit admission that they didn’t just roll over out of apathy against them in the sugar bowl. I find it hard to believe that athletes wouldn’t care- even if it wasn’t what they had initially hoped for.

stang

Post by stang » November 29th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me it feels like he's saying a whole lot of nothing in this rant.

Teams are going to play you hard because you're Alabama? Yeah, of course they are.
The media isn't always fair or accurate when it comes to your program? Okay...
This isn't professional football? Yes, it is. Your QB is making millions. I'm for NIL, but let's call it what it is. Professional football.
Your team wants to win more than fans want them to win? I would sure hope so.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 29th, 2021, 4:48 pm

stang wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me it feels like he's saying a whole lot of nothing in this rant.

Teams are going to play you hard because you're Alabama? Yeah, of course they are.
The media isn't always fair or accurate when it comes to your program? Okay...
This isn't professional football? Yes, it is. Your QB is making millions. I'm for NIL, but let's call it what it is. Professional football.
Your team wants to win more than fans want them to win? I would sure hope so.
I think the rant is directed at spoiled Alabama fans, who get upset at players and the team because they aren't destroying teams or winning by as much as they think they should. I mean its life and death there in SEC country and when you've built the machine Saban has, not winning pretty enough, losing a game or not winning a national championship and its a failure.

Locked Previous topicNext topic