RSL Playoff Run

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
trombone_ninja

RSL Playoff Run

Post by trombone_ninja » November 30th, 2021, 10:38 am

I know there are some weirdos on this board who don't like soccer, but you have to acknowledge how bonkers it is that Real Salt Lake has made it to the Western Conference Final considering all the turmoil the club has been through. Sports movies have less drama than what they've experienced in the last few weeks.

The team has no owner, it's been up for sale for over a year

Head coach left the team a few months ago to take an assistant coaching job in Seattle (a totally random and unprecedented move for a head coach of a team on the verge of making the playoffs), they've been playing under an interim coach since then

They barely made it into the playoffs in the first place and snuck in by the skin of their teeth by virtue of a dramatic last-second goal against Sporting Kansas City in the last game of the regular season

In the first round matchup against Seattle (and their former coach), no one expected a good result since Seattle was one of the best teams in the league by far all season. They bunkered down and fought off a persistent offense for 120 minutes resulting in a 0-0 draw after being outshot 21-0 before winning the game in a penalty shootout, shocking the whole league.

The second round was a rematch against Kansas City who were clearly looking for revenge for their heartbreaking loss at the end of the regular season, and it looked like they would get it after going up 1-0. Instead, RSL completely outplayed them in the second half, scoring in the 71st minute to tie the game and then again at, you guessed it, the last second, to win the game.

Now the team faces Portland in the conference final and is two wins away from winning MLS Cup. I don't see it happening, but being in this position in the first place is absolutely insane
These users thanked the author trombone_ninja for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieflying_scotsman2.0aggies22Goose74

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Re: RSL Playoff Run

Post by sam tingey » November 30th, 2021, 10:44 am

I don't care about MLS at all, but I find this sports story very inspiring and quite a lot of fun. That said, the hunker down defense strategy is the absolute worst for spectators.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
trombone_ninja

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 30th, 2021, 10:45 am

While more dramatic, it's shaping up like the 2009 run. RSL came in as the last seed in the playoffs and somehow made it all the way through to win the thing.

Single elimination tournaments are fun for that reason.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
trombone_ninjasam tingey

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

sam tingey wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 10:44 am
I don't care about MLS at all, but I find this sports story very inspiring and quite a lot of fun. That said, the hunker down defense strategy is the absolute worst for spectators.
Oh it's for sure the worst. I don't think that was the actual strategy but it's kinda what they were forced into doing what with their captain getting a positive covid test and having to change the lineup last minute and how good of an attacking team Seattle is. If that had been their strategy from the beginning to park the bus, I'd be pretty mad :lol:

Go Aggies!!!

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » November 30th, 2021, 11:19 am

i heard that they led for 2min in the last three games total, and won them all!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
trombone_ninja

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 1st, 2021, 9:27 am

120 minutes of 0-0 draw must have been riveting.

I am not really a soccer guy, but don't hate it. Mostly apathetic. But the scoreless draw is the worst thing in sports. I think they need to loosen up some rules (offsides) to create more exciting offense.

My take is pretty much summed up by this classic Simpsons clip.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » December 1st, 2021, 10:42 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 1st, 2021, 9:27 am

I am not really a soccer guy, but don't hate it. Mostly apathetic. But the scoreless draw is the worst thing in sports. I think they need to loosen up some rules (offsides) to create more exciting offense.

I love soccer more than football and basketball and still absolutely love this clip.

Believe it or not, it's still possible to have an intense, exciting 0-0 game depending on how the teams are playing and especially if the stakes are high enough, but that doesn't mean there aren't complete snoozers sometimes as well. In this case, 0-0 was exciting because we thought for sure we were going to get smashed by Seattle, but we just kept playing so well on the defensive side that we started to dare to get our hopes up.

It's kinda like baseball for me, I can't fathom how a sport where 90% of the game is the pitcher staring down the batter can be exciting, but I assume that just like soccer there's more to it than that which makes it exciting. It's just not for me, and same goes for soccer for a lot of people.

Go Aggies!!!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 1st, 2021, 11:37 am

I’m not a soccer guy, but understand what is being said with the 0-0 match. Some of the best baseball in have ever seen resulted in teams being tied 0-0 after 9. I do like how baseball fans with ties over shootouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 1st, 2021, 11:38 am

Soccer needs a shot clock and a rule similar to a backcourt violation. Too much keep away. I do enjoy it on occasion, though, and the world cup is fun to watch.

Aggies All the Way!

coolag

Post by coolag » December 1st, 2021, 3:54 pm

Nerds gonna nerd.

Regulator of Class

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » December 3rd, 2021, 12:00 pm

Has there ever in any sport been a team that take ZERO shots in regulation and still wins? Thats crazy! excited for saturday 1pm MWCC and 4 pm MSL WCF. Go aggies! Go Real!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 3rd, 2021, 1:09 pm

I like soccer and go to more RSL games than any other sporting event (a friend has some awesome tickets and takes me a few times a season).

That said, I agree about changes to offsides. Currently the rule is that if any part of the offensive players body, even a hand or a foot, is past the last defensive player, it is offside. I'd like to see that flipped and if any part of the offensive players body is NOT past the last defender they are still onside.

Also, fouls in the box should have levels. A foul that occurs right in front of the goal could be a full PK, one that occurs along the baseline just inside the box (like the PK KC got last game) should be an indirect free kick. In absolutely no way did that foul remove a direct goal scoring opportunity, so a direct goal scoring opportunity should not be the punishment for it.

Edit: I looked it up. In 2021, the average goals scored per game (both teams) was 2.79 in the MLS. If that number were closer to 5 I think it would bring in more of the casual fans. (For comparison, the NHL averages about 6 total goals scored per game.)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » December 4th, 2021, 11:43 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Anyone who thinks soccer needs to change it's rules just doesn't understand soccer. You can just choose to not watch. We won't miss you.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 4th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Goose74 wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 11:43 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Anyone who thinks soccer needs to change it's rules just doesn't understand soccer. You can just choose to not watch. We won't miss you.
That's what they said about the 3 point line in basketball and the forward pass in football.

Aggies All the Way!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 5th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Goose74 wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 11:43 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

You're just so classy and sophistical. How could us unwashed ever possibly understand the depths of your soccer knowledge?

This comes across as some serious douchebaggery.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ootek

Post by ootek » December 5th, 2021, 7:35 pm

Goose74 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

A quote I came across at some point:
Soccer is just like Twilight. Everyone runs around for 90 minutes, nobody scores, and millions of fans claim “you just don’t get it”.

But truthfully, I don’t think there’s anything quite like the World Cup. Right up there with the Olympics

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 6th, 2021, 7:13 pm

ootek wrote:
December 5th, 2021, 7:35 pm
Goose74 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Soccer is just like Twilight. Everyone runs around for 90 minutes, nobody scores, and millions of fans claim “you just don’t get it”.

But truthfully, I don’t think there’s anything quite like the World Cup. Right up there with the Olympics
werent the twilight movies like 9 hours long?
If not, they sure felt like it

ootek

Post by ootek » December 8th, 2021, 7:38 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
ootek wrote:
Goose74 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I have the fortunate position of not having a daughter old enough to even know the movies exist, and my wife isn’t remotely interested in them or the books, so I fortunately do not know

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 8th, 2021, 8:04 pm

ootek wrote:
December 8th, 2021, 7:38 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
ootek wrote:

I have the fortunate position of not having a daughter old enough to even know the movies exist, and my wife isn’t remotely interested in them or the books, so I fortunately do not know
lucky you - my daughters were early teens when the first came out :bangwall:

Goose74

Post by Goose74 » December 15th, 2021, 9:14 pm

ootek wrote:
Goose74 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Tell me your Mormon without telling me your Mormon. Who makes a Twilight reference on a sports website??
Agree with you on the World Cup, but still... WTH dude?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 16th, 2021, 7:54 am

Not sure why you’re getting so defensive, goose. If you like soccer, that’s cool, you don’t need to defend its honor. Just rest easy knowing most of the world is squarely in your corner. And I’m not sure why the rest of you are hating on soccer so hard. I love soccer, but I hate golf. A lot of people love golf. I let them do their thing even if I think they’re idiots for liking golf. Y’all gotta chill.

Locked Previous topicNext topic