"Meaningless bowls", why play them?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BobWilson

"Meaningless bowls", why play them?

Post by BobWilson » December 29th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Four of Ohio State's best are opting out of the Rose Bowl, not the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, but the Rose Bowl. Defenders will point to the millions of dollars on the line should one of these players incur a serious injury, which begs the question as to what these players are doing in a university? Why are they not on a professional developmental team? On second thought, if appears they are.

ViAggie

Re: "Meaningless bowls", why play them?

Post by ViAggie » December 29th, 2021, 6:37 pm

Why did they even bother traveling with the team to LA? D'bag move!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 29th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Gotta expand the playoff. If the freaking Rose Bowl can't get players to play, you know the system is broken.

Chris Olave is a weird one. The guy could have been a first round pick last year, but opted to come back to school for another year. Weird to basically play 12 additional college games, but decide on the 13th with it being the Rose Bowl, "nah I'm good."
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAggieFBObsession

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 29th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 29th, 2021, 7:05 pm
Gotta expand the playoff. If the freaking Rose Bowl can't get players to play, you know the system is broken.

Chris Olave is a weird one. The guy could have been a first round pick last year, but opted to come back to school for another year. Weird to basically play 12 additional college games, but decide on the 13th with it being the Rose Bowl, "nah I'm good."
The good news is that this is gaining traction, if covid was ever good for anything, working from home, the death of "meaningless bowl games" we'll take the wins were we can get them.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 29th, 2021, 8:47 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 29th, 2021, 8:19 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 29th, 2021, 7:05 pm

The good news is that this is gaining traction, if covid was ever good for anything, working from home, the death of "meaningless bowl games" we'll take the wins were we can get them.
Yeah, although I do feel really bad for the NC State fans that made the trip to San Diego. This was their best team since the Phillip Rivers days and flights from Raleigh to San Diego aren't cheap.

RockyMountainHigh

Post by RockyMountainHigh » December 29th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Clemson didn’t have a single opt out. I’m so proud of the team for that.
These users thanked the author RockyMountainHigh for the post (total 5):
USU78aggies22AGinNEIowaAggieFBObsessionBobWilson

Kevincurtisforlife

Post by Kevincurtisforlife » December 31st, 2021, 8:54 am

These players opting out of playing in their bowl games drive me nuts. Start the season with your teammates and you finish it with your teammates. I hate to even bring this name up but Tyler Allgeier is arguably one of the best running backs BYU has ever had. He took a beating all year for his team. Put the team on his back. BYU ended up playing in possibly one of the lamest bowl games ever in Shreveport of all places. In the rain. And Tyler didn’t opt out. He’s headed to the draft. I think it’s about pride. Finish what you start. Don’t leave your teammates hanging. If Tyler can play in a lame bowl game in a Lousianna… surely Ohio State players can somehow manage to play in the freaking Rose Bowl.
These users thanked the author Kevincurtisforlife for the post (total 2):
USU78AggieFBObsession

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 31st, 2021, 11:29 am

Selfish players opting out should be penalized. No graduation or school penalizing them. Watching WSU and they may get slaughtered. For the players still playing, it must really suck. No Borgi and missing line men is obvious. Actually happy to see another p5 lose, but sucks for remaining players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
Kevincurtisforlife

RockyMountainHigh

Post by RockyMountainHigh » December 31st, 2021, 5:43 pm

I damn sure would not be letting a player be on a the sideline if they opted out.
These users thanked the author RockyMountainHigh for the post (total 3):
KevincurtisforlifeUSU78BobWilson

Locked Previous topicNext topic