Good news for parents who have kids playing youth tackle Football

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Good news for parents who have kids playing youth tackle Football

Post by ViAggie » January 3rd, 2022, 11:06 am

New study shows no link to concussion problems in kids who play youth FB https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... ween-youth

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Good news for parents who have kids playing youth tackle Football

Post by brownjeans » January 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm

I think the headline is incorrect. From reading the study, the study observed no change in cognitive ability or behavior in youth participating in youth football.

The question I have, that the study admits it cannot answer, is do those who participate in youth football for consecutive years exhibit problems later in life at a higher rate than those who do not participate in youth fooball? In other words - do repeated head impacts such as those experienced with youth football plant seeds of problems that manifest later?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 3rd, 2022, 2:00 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm
I think the headline is incorrect. From reading the study, the study observed no change in cognitive ability or behavior in youth participating in youth football.

The question I have, that the study admits it cannot answer, is do those who participate in youth football for consecutive years exhibit problems later in life at a higher rate than those who do not participate in youth fooball? In other words - do repeated head impacts such as those experienced with youth football plant seeds of problems that manifest later?
My wife's cousin participated in football through high school (no further). He grew up in that era where you "played through pain" (graduated HS in the late 90's) and CTE/concussions were NOT taken as seriously. He played running back in high school and, therefore, took a lot of blows.

Today, he has been diagnosed with CTE. He has excruciating and debilitating headaches and can no longer hold down a full time job. He is really struggling with his health and I wonder about his mental health (the same issues that Junior Seau had before he killed himself). I know equipment and procedures for dealing with head trauma are way beyond what they were then, but I still would be hesitant to sign my kid up for football.
Last edited by Yossarian on January 3rd, 2022, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 3rd, 2022, 2:49 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 2:00 pm
brownjeans wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 1:15 pm

My wife's cousin participated in football through high school (no further). He grew up in that era where you "played through pain" (graduated HS in the late 90's) and CTE/concussions were taken as seriously. He played running back in high school and, therefore, took a lot of blows.

Today, he has been diagnosed with CTE. He has excruciating and debilitating headaches and can no longer hold down a full time job. He is really struggling with his health and I wonder about his mental health (the same issues that Junior Seau had before he killed himself). I know equipment and procedures for dealing with head trauma are way beyond what they were then, but I still would be hesitant to sign my kid up for football.
Damn, that sucks. Well I played HS and CC college back in the late 80's early 90's and yea, that's what you were taught, also to put your helmet where the ball was when tackling (while avoiding the appearance of spearing). I was fortunate not to have any concussions in my 8 years of playing FB. Just a dislocated shoulder and a bunch of broken toes.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 4th, 2022, 7:42 am

I played football for many years. I feel fortunate that I never had any issues with concussions. In fact, I actually had more injuries in basketball than football (one minor concussion). My dad taught me to keep me head up and to see what you were hitting. The physics of the game continue to go the wrong way for concussion issues.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 4th, 2022, 10:22 am

CTE can only be diagnosed postmortem, though symptoms can obviously displayed while living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

Hail Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 6th, 2022, 8:19 am

As the recently departed John Madden was quoted as saying, there is no point in having your kid play tackle football at young ages. The skill development can still occur without the tackling component, and older kids learn better tackling anyway. In Texas, 6th graders are not allowed on the middle school football teams (tackle), and then a lot of the 7th grade and 8th grade team focus is on fundamentals before they get into high school. I think the model works well. Of course there are tackle leagues outside of the school structure, but I would rather have my son focus on other sports that help him develop his footwork, hand-eye coordination, or athleticism until he is a middle schooler anyway.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 6th, 2022, 8:40 am

I never played football until I was in 6th grade. I didn't feel like I was behind those who had played for 3-4 years more than me. In fact, I passed them up pretty quickly when I figured out how to use my body to deliver the blow.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 6th, 2022, 10:50 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 6th, 2022, 8:40 am
I never played football until I was in 6th grade. I didn't feel like I was behind those who had played for 3-4 years more than me. In fact, I passed them up pretty quickly when I figured out how to use my body to deliver the blow.
I didn't start until my 7th grade year, but my small home town didn't have a youth league until I was a sophomore in HS, if you wanted to play youth you had to play for the big city team 10 miles west. My youngest has been playing tackle Football since he was 8, he plays because he enjoys it, we've never forced him to play. He did take 2020 off, he had always planned to, he wanted to refocus his efforts and switch from Defense to Offence, and he wanted that year to work on his skills. This was his last year of YFB and he'll be a Freshman next year. We're already hearing rumblings that the varsity HC wants him to play for him, not going to happen. We're going to let the kid develop at his grade level and not be forced to ride the bench just to be a four year letterman. I also had a private school in the OC reach out to a previous coach of ours offering a scholarship if my boy would play for them, they would even pay for transportation. The answer was a polite no thanks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic