Research Funding

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
RogerAndersen

Research Funding

Post by RogerAndersen » September 21st, 2022, 11:55 am

Generally, I find discussions about research funding or academics on Sports Message Boards to be a topic close to just as interesting as watching paint dry, but a few items caught my eye recently so I thought I would just deposit them here as fun information.

Sometimes I wonder if the students, alums, sports fans and supporters of Utah State are really aware of what we have?

1. Annual Federal Research Commitments at Utah State are approximately 2X those of SDSU.

2. Annual Federal Research Commitments at Utah State are approximately 6X those of BYU.

3. Annual Federal Research Commitments at Utah State are approximately 10X those of BSU.

As far as Research and Funding for Research, Utah State is in very elite company in the State of Utah, and really in the western United States.

I wish those things carried more weight in conference alignment/membership discussions.

It is interesting, the P12 (now P10) seems to talk a big game when it comes to research and academics

Sadly, it still seems like TV sets and eyeballs win the day.

I see sweatshirts for USC, UCLA, BYU, and Stanford everywhere I go. You know darn well the closest most of those people ever got to those campuses, was the local Walmart.

Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post (total 3):
USU78Hootvegasaggie

jpswensen

Re: Research Funding

Post by jpswensen » September 21st, 2022, 12:48 pm

Their upgrade in Carnegie classification is warranted.

Also, I know several people who look at research expenditures and confuse SDSU and UCSD. UCSD is actually a huge research school.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 21st, 2022, 12:50 pm

The thing that concerns me about those Federal research dollars - what percentage are tied to the Space Dynamics Lab? I worry that all of the research funding is in that one basket. It would be nice to increase the strength of the school's research spread out to other areas. Hopefully the Vet School will help.

Also - on your list of school gear you can add Texas and Oregon.

Eutaw St. Aggie

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » September 21st, 2022, 1:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 21st, 2022, 12:50 pm
The thing that concerns me about those Federal research dollars - what percentage are tied to the Space Dynamics Lab? I worry that all of the research funding is in that one basket. It would be nice to increase the strength of the school's research spread out to other areas. Hopefully the Vet School will help.

Also - on your list of school gear you can add Texas and Oregon.
Just given WSU's experience with starting a medical school, I'm not sure that starting the vet school will increase research expenditures much for a while. It is a major effort just to organize the instructional side of things. Maybe it is easier with animal medicine, as opposed to human medicine, but it may be a decade(s) to grow appreciably. Additionally, USU doesn't plan to have an on-site veterinary hospital, which may limit some research opportunities.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » October 6th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Well. In reality, there are no real restrictions on Funded Research.

Most grants and other research that gets funded happens due to the writing of proposals and justifying how this research is going to make the world a better place and/or aid in an academic or scientific field and/or advance Utah State's standing in these areas. And getting someone one of the "gubmint" to fund it.

So, if anybody with their Gender Studies or Wokeness Enhancement program so desires, get writing...

Sky is the limit...

Locked Previous topicNext topic