Hawaii to the MWC what it might mean...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NavyBlue

Hawaii to the MWC what it might mean...

Post by NavyBlue » November 19th, 2010, 8:20 am

The more I think about this, this might end up being good for USU.

TCU is all but gone from the MWC.

What sense does it make for the MWC to add a football-only school unless they are going to bring in a school for all sports but football? Who might that school be? It has to be be BYU. Think about it. The MWC would still be a better league for BYU than the WCC. And the MWC now has more leverage. BYU was going to use the WAC for a "scheduling alliance" to schedule some late season football games. With the WAC now effectively dead, enter the MWC for that purpose. BYU is painted into a corner they will choose to keep all sports but football in the MWC and now the MWC will allow them to go indy in football. If BYU says "no" CT calls Gonzaga and offers them an all sports but football deal. What would the value of the WCC to BYU without Gonzaga?

BYU will take the all sports but football deal, with a scheduling alliance with the MWC. And the MWC fills in Hawaii for the football spot. Once that happens it makes sense for the MWC to kill off the WAC. If BYU is true to thier word (I know, I know..) USU is invited as an all sports member, along with another WAC school or two. We could then be a basketball travel partner for BYU and the MWC keeps more of a presence in the Utah market.

I think this is how it is going to go down. No inside information, just my theory.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Hawaii to the MWC what it might mean...

Post by ProvoAggie » November 19th, 2010, 8:27 am

I don't think that BYU will go back to the MWC because of pride. In their minds, Independent in Football and WCC in everything else is even better than being in the Pac-12. They think that they one-upped Utah when they jumped from the MWC. Even if the MWC is still the best option for BYU, I don't think that they would be willing to admit that.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 19th, 2010, 8:33 am

NavyBlue wrote:The more I think about this, this might end up being good for USU.

TCU is all but gone from the MWC.

What sense does it make for the MWC to add a football-only school unless they are going to bring in a school for all sports but football? Who might that school be? It has to be be BYU. Think about it. The MWC would still be a better league for BYU than the WCC. And the MWC now has more leverage. BYU was going to use the WAC for a "scheduling alliance" to schedule some late season football games. With the WAC now effectively dead, enter the MWC for that purpose. BYU is painted into a corner they will choose to keep all sports but football in the MWC and now the MWC will allow them to go indy in football. If BYU says "no" CT calls Gonzaga and offers them an all sports but football deal. What would the value of the WCC to BYU without Gonzaga?

BYU will take the all sports but football deal, with a scheduling alliance with the MWC. And the MWC fills in Hawaii for the football spot. Once that happens it makes sense for the MWC to kill off the WAC. If BYU is true to thier word (I know, I know..) USU is invited as an all sports member, along with another WAC school or two. We could then be a basketball travel partner for BYU and the MWC keeps more of a presence in the Utah market.

I think this is how it is going to go down. No inside information, just my theory.
Fascinating proposal, NB. I like your thinking, probably because it's about the only thing that will keep me from going into the fetal position and sucking my thumb.

Hawai'i/yBu -- USU
SDSU -- FSU
UNLV -- UN
Boazy -- ??
AFA -- UNM
CSU -- Wyoming

Who fills that 12th spot, I wonder?

My rational mind can't imagine this happening (although having perennial malcontents yBu, Boazy and Fresnard in the same conference makes a kind of sick sense), but who cares about rationality? We're Aggies. We're nuts.

And nothing's impossible, eh?

[youtube][/youtube]

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » November 19th, 2010, 8:43 am

Provo, pride or not, BYU won't have a choice. They need a football conference to schedule some games with. The WAC will be dead. And if BYU won't take the all but football deal, Gonzaga no doubt would. Would BYU want to be in a WCC without Gonzaga? Really?

It makes sense why would the MWC invite a football only school without an all but football school.

All FBS conferences are going to 12, no doubt the MWC will too.

Take heart '78 I was bummed earlier today, but the more I think about it this isn't over. Taken by itself the Hawaii to the MWC football only deal doesn't make sense. There HAS to be more to this. Stay tuned.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 19th, 2010, 8:55 am

NavyBlue wrote:Provo, pride or not, BYU won't have a choice. They need a football conference to schedule some games with. The WAC will be dead. And if BYU won't take the all but football deal, Gonzaga no doubt would. Would BYU want to be in a WCC without Gonzaga? Really?

It makes sense why would the MWC invite a football only school without an all but football school.

All FBS conferences are going to 12, no doubt the MWC will too.

Take heart '78 I was bummed earlier today, but the more I think about it this isn't over. Taken by itself the Hawaii to the MWC football only deal doesn't make sense. There HAS to be more to this. Stay tuned.
The only problem I see is that, in the scenario you propose, USU is the 11th (since yBu/Hawai'i count for only one spot to make 10). USU only makes sense if there's another school coming in, whether that's UTEP or TCU or somebody else from the WAC (San Jose? Idaho? NewMags?). Going to 12 makes sense, if the $$ make sense. How do you make the $$ make sense? I don't see why they need a playoff, but there I go being rational again.

I like the hopefulness far better than I like my own thoughts here. You're a kind soul to help us all out here.

:utah: :state: :utah: :state: :utah: :state: :utah: :state:
:scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman:
:utah: :state: :utah: :state: :utah: :state: :utah: :state:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 19th, 2010, 9:07 am

Navyblueaggie has been a constant bastion of unfulfilled hope. This is his latest pipe dream theory of how it is all going to work out fine for us. I appreciate the optimism, but his hopefulness and conjecture has proven incorrect time and time again. I'm not so optimistic.
Last edited by Rabidchild on November 19th, 2010, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » November 19th, 2010, 9:09 am

Rabid, I am not navyblueaggie, I am NavyBlue. Different poster.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 19th, 2010, 9:24 am

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I assumed the handle had just changed slightly. In that case, I'd like to hear what Navyblueaggie has to say about this latest news. I wonder how that secret "new league" that is going to save USU coming along?

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Locked Previous topicNext topic