I am not sure that USU moves ahead by

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
troutputz
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 75 times

I am not sure that USU moves ahead by

Post by troutputz » November 29th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Being in the MWC. Why do so many of you think that the MWC will help USU do any better in their athletic sports?

Who knows, maybe a complete new conference could be made? There are so many variables out their now.

I agree with some that have posted saying that they are not sure the MWC is any better of a fit for USU.

dyedblue
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 257 times

Re: I am not sure that USU moves ahead by

Post by dyedblue » November 29th, 2010, 11:26 pm

We may not move ahead but can you image the distraught that will be felt by us, NMSU, Idaho, SJSU, or any other school that is not part of the MWC at this point? I don't like it but FU and Nevada really did the WAC in.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NAggsty Butler
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 29th, 2010, 11:28 pm

The answer for that is that their is no other option available to USU. The WAC is on the verge of death, and I doubt other schools that would fit regionally and competitively could be convinced into starting another conference. The MWC provides solutions to both of those problems, where the MWC is on the verge of becoming a very stable conference, with a very regionally sound make up. It makes too much sense for USU to go to the MWC to pass up.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

troutputz

Post by troutputz » November 29th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Why do we need those other schools to coat tail on? I happen to think that for once USU needs to surge out on their own and make a name for themselves instead of depending upon other to help them make a name! I think the New WAC right now will be just fine for USU. I was very much in favor of us going to the MWC, but I have changed my mind. Nevada, Boise, Fresno, San Diego State, UNLV are going to be telling USU what to do and when to do it if we join them. I quite frankly am getting tired of other schools dictating to us what we can and can't do. For this reason, if we become the top dog in the new WAC we can run our own destiny instead of having someone from Reno or Boise trying to do it for us!

troutputz

Post by troutputz » November 29th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Quelch has made the most sense to me if I really weight this out. The MWC and the WAC needs to merge and form the conference!

Remember the BIG 12 is not done in this yet either. I could actually see Colorado State going their now!

UtahStizzle
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by UtahStizzle » November 30th, 2010, 1:56 am

troutputz wrote:Why do we need those other schools to coat tail on? I happen to think that for once USU needs to surge out on their own and make a name for themselves instead of depending upon other to help them make a name! I think the New WAC right now will be just fine for USU. I was very much in favor of us going to the MWC, but I have changed my mind. Nevada, Boise, Fresno, San Diego State, UNLV are going to be telling USU what to do and when to do it if we join them. I quite frankly am getting tired of other schools dictating to us what we can and can't do. For this reason, if we become the top dog in the new WAC we can run our own destiny instead of having someone from Reno or Boise trying to do it for us!
I agree with this almost. The problem is that the WAC is in such bad shape that just finding a stable conference is the main priority. Even if everyone there hates us. The WAC is at 7 football teams and needs 8 just to get by. Montana said no. North Texas said no. UC something or other said no. Even if somehow we get an 8th team, every team in the WAC is looking to get out. NMSU and La Tech may look to sunbelt. San Jose St. may just go back to FCS. Who knows. It's too volatile right now to even try to stay on board. Now if we could get like 3-4 big sky teams, say Sac. State, Portland St, and Eastern Washington, to add to what we currently have, I'd feel OK about that. It would be nice to have seniority in a conference.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

NVAggie
Has liked: 554 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by NVAggie » November 30th, 2010, 9:13 am

The nice thing about the MWC is that we can bolt at any time without paying a fee. If there is a new conference for us to go to, we can jump anyways. Right now we just need stability. The MWC offers that more than the WAC.

GUS
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by GUS » November 30th, 2010, 9:20 am

The mwc means reduced travel costs and natural rivalries. The new thrown together wac will offer neither of those. Without those it will be hard to advance USU football. Remember the size of crowds we got for Louisiana Lafeyette or Arkansas State? I don't want to go back to those dark days. If we do I feel like my investment in Aggie athletics over the past 20 years has been in vain.

SoCalAggie
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by SoCalAggie » November 30th, 2010, 10:11 am

its called survival.

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

Locked Previous topicNext topic