KAR: BYU's New Head Coach

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Massachusettsagg
Has thanked: 0

KAR: BYU's New Head Coach

Post by Massachusettsagg » April 16th, 2024, 10:49 am

Byu hires Kevin Young, associate head coach of the PHX Suns. He made 2 million a year as the AHC

rAggie

Re: KAR: BYU's New Head Coach

Post by rAggie » April 16th, 2024, 10:53 am

can we have byu topics in the general sports forum and aggie topics in the aggie sports forum? We don't play BYU in basketball anymore.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 3):
SLBWinning Teambluegrouse

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 16th, 2024, 10:59 am

Every once in a while there is the opinion that there are a few closet zoobers on this forum. After the last few days I'm starting to think that might be true.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
bigblue32SLB

Massachusettsagg
Has thanked: 0

Post by Massachusettsagg » April 16th, 2024, 11:01 am

More than a few, I am not one. I will delete my post and move it to general sports talk.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 16th, 2024, 11:01 am

rAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 10:53 am
can we have byu topics in the general sports forum and aggie topics in the aggie sports forum? We don't play BYU in basketball anymore.
I get you on this. I am talking about from only transfer portal and recruiting side of things, and our closet BYU fans blew a gasket over it then went supernova.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 16th, 2024, 11:04 am

Bank Shot wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 10:59 am
Every once in a while there is the opinion that there are a few closet zoobers on this forum. After the last few days I'm starting to think that might be true.
I pointed this out years ago. Notice how some "Aggie fans" get to bashing everything Aggies when you talk about BYU in certain ways.

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » April 16th, 2024, 11:05 am

Please move it mods. They literally have nothing to do with us.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 16th, 2024, 11:17 am

Bank Shot wrote:
I'm not going to lie. I'm a HUGE fan of Cougars!
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post (total 2):
AggiecpaViAggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » April 16th, 2024, 12:21 pm

Winning Team wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 11:05 am
^^^^
Not exactly. Reportedly, we had reached out to Pope when Sprinkle left to see if he was interested. If their new coach was making 2M in the NBA, they would have had to sweeten the deal. It gives us an idea of where we may need to be when we start looking for a new coach next year.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 16th, 2024, 12:50 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 12:21 pm
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^
Not exactly. Reportedly, we had reached out to Pope when Sprinkle left to see if he was interested. If their new coach was making 2M in the NBA, they would have had to sweeten the deal. It gives us an idea of where we may need to be when we start looking for a new coach next year.
Your assumption is wrong.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2024, 12:51 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^
haha, a great thing about the season we just had is Calhoun would have to be pretty special next year to be a one hit wonder. If he makes the Sweet Sixteen, I'll have no problem with him bouncing.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 16th, 2024, 1:11 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 11:17 am
Bank Shot wrote:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ususports

Post by ususports » April 16th, 2024, 1:22 pm

Man, I totally get what everyone is complaining about. People who start new threads really need to work on their subject titles. I came into this thread thinking I would find out about Calhoun, and all of our new recruits. Instead, I was tricked and manipulated into readying about BYU's new head coach. Why didn't the original poster put in the subject line something more like, "BYU's New Head Coach" as the title instead of something that logically made me think it was about Calhoun and our recruits? People who play these tricks on an Aggie board are just sick and twisted!
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2024, 1:29 pm

ususports wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 1:22 pm
Man, I totally get what everyone is complaining about. People who start new threads really need to work on their subject titles. I came into this thread thinking I would find out about Calhoun, and all of our new recruits. Instead, I was tricked and manipulated into readying about BYU's new head coach. Why didn't the original poster put in the subject line something more like, "BYU's New Head Coach" as the title instead of something that logically made me think it was about Calhoun and our recruits? People who play these tricks on an Aggie board are just sick and twisted!
Haha. Yeah I get people thinking this should be in the general board, but it is funny how often people on here want threads moved or taken down altogether. If you don't like something, scroll to another topic. It ain't hard.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 16th, 2024, 5:16 pm

ususports wrote:
Wait, what? I thought we were talking about older chicks who dig young guys? What am I missing???

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 16th, 2024, 5:18 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 5:16 pm
ususports wrote:
Wait, what? I thought we were talking about older chicks who dig young guys? What am I missing???
Does every thread need to divulge into talking about Hoot's mom?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Hoot

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » April 16th, 2024, 5:48 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 5:18 pm
ViAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 5:16 pm
ususports wrote:
Does every thread need to divulge into talking about Hoot's mom?
I was under the impression that this is USUFansAndHootsMom.com.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post (total 3):
HootToastedFlakes52Aggie formerly in Hawaii

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 17th, 2024, 8:35 am

If you people want @Hoot 's mom, you obvious don't know much about her and haven't seen her.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 8:41 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:35 am
If you people want @Hoot 's mom, you obvious don't know much about her and haven't seen her.
One man’s trash as they say…

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2024, 9:40 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:35 am
Sometimes a little mystery is a good thing.

UStater

Post by UStater » April 17th, 2024, 8:12 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^
I never read the general forum, and am glad this thread is here in the basketball forum... yes, it's not directly related to us, but they are still an in-state school that we compete with for recruits. The divide is getting greater every year tbh and BYU opened up their wallets for this guy. I hope it's a failed experiment, but having BYU pay big-program salaries is really something I didn't see coming.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 17th, 2024, 8:24 pm

UStater wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:12 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^
I never read the general forum, and am glad this thread is here in the basketball forum... yes, it's not directly related to us, but they are still an in-state school that we compete with for recruits. The divide is getting greater every year tbh and BYU opened up their wallets for this guy. I hope it's a failed experiment, but having BYU pay big-program salaries is really something I didn't see coming.
Is the divide getting bigger?

In the past ten years (I would say 5 years but I might get accused of cherry picking) we have had:
More NCAA tournament appearences.
More NCAA tournament wins.
More NBA draft picks.
More finishes in the top 25.
More conference championships.

But yeah, you keep telling me how BYU is a better program.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 17th, 2024, 8:34 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:24 pm
UStater wrote:
WasatchAggie wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^

In the past ten years (I would say 5 years but I might get accused of cherry picking) we have had:
More NBA draft picks.

I think there isn’t much of a competitive divide, but there is a financial divide that appears to be getting bigger. But then again, maybe it’s not so big, just inflated on both sides. It’s probably fairly proportional to how it’s always been. Hopefully this dude fails miserably. Assistant NBA coaches don’t necessarily make good college coaches, see Jim Boylen. BYU could have had almost anyone with that amount of money. Hopefully they wasted it. 😂

Also, I’ll be shocked if they sniff the tournament next year. Their coach is way behind on recruiting and won’t be starting until his team is done in the playoffs…

blueblood

Post by blueblood » April 17th, 2024, 8:49 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
The older I get the less I like Cougars!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 17th, 2024, 9:13 pm

blueblood wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:49 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
The older I get the less I like Cougars!!

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

UStater

Post by UStater » April 17th, 2024, 10:34 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 8:24 pm
UStater wrote:
WasatchAggie wrote:
Winning Team wrote:
^^^^

More NBA draft picks.

The financial divide is getting way bigger...BYU used to say they needed to be financially responsible with their sacred funds, and that sentiment went out the window with this hire...I'm not judging...it's not my money to spend, but they ate entering a new era for BYU sports that might keep them playing with the big boys

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 18th, 2024, 8:00 am

I bet they are just using that rich guys money. Have they ever disclosed how much of the widows mite goes to sports? This was most likely outside money so they don't look bad spending gift money.

UStater

Post by UStater » April 18th, 2024, 9:01 am

WAAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 8:00 am
I bet they are just using that rich guys money. Have they ever disclosed how much of the widows mite goes to sports? This was most likely outside money so they don't look bad spending gift money.

as someone who is not Mormon.... you are speaking in a foreign language :) I feel like I should understand widows mite (maybe a bible reference?) and isn't all their money donated :headscratch: I don't mean this as a religious debate or anything like that, ...or even saying they should not spend this money on a coach, just trying to understand more context... heck, If I had a religion... I would spend lots of that money on a good coach :cheers:

josephconlin

Post by josephconlin » April 18th, 2024, 3:59 pm

UStater wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 9:01 am
WAAggie wrote:

as someone who is not Mormon.... you are speaking in a foreign language :) I feel like I should understand widows mite (maybe a bible reference?) and isn't all their money donated :headscratch: I don't mean this as a religious debate or anything like that, ...or even saying they should not spend this money on a coach, just trying to understand more context... heck, If I had a religion... I would spend lots of that money on a good coach :cheers:
I'll try to keep it brief.
- The widow's mite refers to a bible story about a widow giving a tiny amount of money that was 100% of what she had being compared to rich men who gave large amounts of money that was a small percentage of what they had.
- The LDS church collects tithing and sometimes leaders give talks about trying to be careful with how they use tithing funds, comparing them to the widow's mite in importance to the donors that paid the tithing. Many others have taken to referring to all tithing funds as the widow's mite.
- BYU is sponsored by the LDS church, and many of BYU's expenses are paid for with tithing funds in addition to donations, tuition expenses, etc that are collected directly by BYU.
- Many people have discussed what amount of BYU's expenses, especially sports-related expenses, are paid by tithing money from the church versus donor money given directly to BYU separate from tithing.
- As a private institution, BYU does not have to disclose where money comes from or goes to, but there are sometimes claims made that a large portion, if not all, of the sports-related expenses are covered by sports donations and related income collected directly by BYU. Others claim that a large portion is paid from from tithing money from the church (that many people wish they could specify to NOT be sent to BYU but used for other purposes instead, but that has not been possible so far). These claims tend to support whatever opinions those making them have of the LDS church and BYU.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 18th, 2024, 4:45 pm

josephconlin wrote:
UStater wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 9:01 am
WAAggie wrote:

I'll try to keep it brief.
- The widow's mite refers to a bible story about a widow giving a tiny amount of money that was 100% of what she had being compared to rich men who gave large amounts of money that was a small percentage of what they had.
- The LDS church collects tithing and sometimes leaders give talks about trying to be careful with how they use tithing funds, comparing them to the widow's mite in importance to the donors that paid the tithing. Many others have taken to referring to all tithing funds as the widow's mite.
- BYU is sponsored by the LDS church, and many of BYU's expenses are paid for with tithing funds in addition to donations, tuition expenses, etc that are collected directly by BYU.
- Many people have discussed what amount of BYU's expenses, especially sports-related expenses, are paid by tithing money from the church versus donor money given directly to BYU separate from tithing.
- As a private institution, BYU does not have to disclose where money comes from or goes to, but there are sometimes claims made that a large portion, if not all, of the sports-related expenses are covered by sports donations and related income collected directly by BYU. Others claim that a large portion is paid from from tithing money from the church (that many people wish they could specify to NOT be sent to BYU but used for other purposes instead, but that has not been possible so far). These claims tend to support whatever opinions those making them have of the LDS church and BYU.
Even though they are private, if they get tax breaks they should have to disclose.

Don’t want to disclose? Give up their tax breaks.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 18th, 2024, 5:30 pm

WAAggie wrote:

Ryan Smith, owner of the Jazz?

So thinking about this, a guy that rich, if he donate's to BYU (or any University), it is considered a charitable donation and a tax write-off, correct?

I mean, the guy is probably just donating the money instead of using it for paying taxes, correct?

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 18th, 2024, 5:35 pm

Lesson Learned: You need to get a billionaire that is passionate about your University and its athletics.

SEE:
Oregon - Phil Knight (they were equal to Oregon State and Washington State before Phil Knight)
OK State -- T Boone Pickens. Donated a lot before he died
Houston -- Tilman Fertitta

probably other out there that I can't think of or don't know

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 18th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 5:30 pm
WAAggie wrote:

So thinking about this, a guy that rich, if he donate's to BYU (or any University), it is considered a charitable donation and a tax write-off, correct?

I mean, the guy is probably just donating the money instead of using it for paying taxes, correct?
And he's getting the Utah taxpayers to fund his hockey arena. Nice of Utahns to help out a billionaire like that.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » April 18th, 2024, 5:48 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

And he's getting the Utah taxpayers to fund his hockey arena. Nice of Utahns to help out a billionaire like that.
Utahn’s are like that. They also clean multi billion dollar organizations buildings for free.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AG

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 19th, 2024, 6:50 am

April 18th, 2024, 5:40 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

Utahns get too excited about professional sports.

They desperately want to "belong" and be "accepted", and they will leap at the opportunity to have a professional sports team, including footing part of the bill.
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic