Mike Rice

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Packers90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mike Rice

Post by Packers90 » April 5th, 2013, 9:01 pm

What in the hell is wrong with Mike Rice and his assistant coach who resigned today. I don't condone violence but if I'm a parent of one of those kids who watched that crap I'm going to go see that man and its not going to go well for either of us. One is us is going to jail and one of us will be headed to ICU. I would be quoting Mike Gundy "Im a man Im 40". Reports have come out that the assistant that resigned actually had fist fights with players at his previous position. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They had to can the guy what parent or athlete would want to play for a guy like that. That video would have destroyed their recruiting. They will be playing in the Big 10 next season too.

Stucki

Re: Mike Rice

Post by Stucki » April 5th, 2013, 9:58 pm

I couldn't believe they didn't fire him when they suspended him for 3 games and fined him.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 7th, 2013, 11:50 am

Seems that they should fire Pernetti too.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 7th, 2013, 11:54 am

brownjeans wrote:Seems that they should fire Pernetti too.
Never mind. They did.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... ty=newyork

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » April 8th, 2013, 9:08 am

If you thought Mike Rice was bad.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/15 ... ces-tirade

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

cache-aggie

Post by cache-aggie » April 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

What I don't understand is why there isn't more of this outrage and firings happening to other coaches. You don't really think this kind of behavior has gone on (and continues to happen) everywhere in the country since the very beginning of time. These kinds of things get swept under the rug if the program is successful (Sandusky, Petino), and even if the coaches aren't well liked (Knight, Majerus). Majerus was abusive to players, throwing chairs, grabbing them by the collars and swearing at them during games with fans watching. I can't imagine there weren't worse abuses during practices with no one watching.
We just can't tolerate this kind of behavior from anyone, especially those in positions of authority.

cache-aggie

Post by cache-aggie » April 8th, 2013, 9:39 am

Sorry not Petino, I mean Paterno.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 8th, 2013, 10:29 am

I'm kind of surprised that no player has ever gone Sprewell on their college coach. It'd be pretty hard to put up with it. You'd think that a player that has had enough, and has decided to leave, might decide that with nothing to lose he might as well do what he's been dying to do and kick his coach's (I can't express myself without swearing).

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 8th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Packers90 wrote:What in the hell is wrong with Mike Rice and his assistant coach who resigned today. I don't condone violence but if I'm a parent of one of those kids who watched that crap I'm going to go see that man and its not going to go well for either of us. One is us is going to jail and one of us will be headed to ICU. I would be quoting Mike Gundy "Im a man Im 40". Reports have come out that the assistant that resigned actually had fist fights with players at his previous position. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They had to can the guy what parent or athlete would want to play for a guy like that. That video would have destroyed their recruiting. They will be playing in the Big 10 next season too.

That video is terrible. I agree I wouldn't want my son to play for anyone like that. Would you have let your son play for Majerus or Bobby Knight? The stories I have heard about Majerus are worse than anything shown on those videos. Winning covers up a lot of abuse.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 8th, 2013, 1:11 pm

cache-aggie wrote:What I don't understand is why there isn't more of this outrage and firings happening to other coaches. You don't really think this kind of behavior has gone on (and continues to happen) everywhere in the country since the very beginning of time. These kinds of things get swept under the rug if the program is successful (Sandusky, Petino), and even if the coaches aren't well liked (Knight, Majerus). Majerus was abusive to players, throwing chairs, grabbing them by the collars and swearing at them during games with fans watching. I can't imagine there weren't worse abuses during practices with no one watching.
We just can't tolerate this kind of behavior from anyone, especially those in positions of authority.
Yes, this kind of thing has been going on since the beginning of the human race. It happens in all aspects of life. People become so invested in something, an institution, a business, a family, a religion, that they allow this kind of behavior to happen. Fearing for their own security, their own job, their own belief system, if the truth comes out, they turn their backs on it, refuse to acknowledge it, pretend it doesn't exist. Mothers allowing their children to be abused by a father because they fear divorce and losing their financial security. Single mothers allowing a boyfriend to do the same for fear of being alone. An entire religion, Catholicism, hiding their sexual abuse of children for centuries. I would argue that the military is an example, at least when I was in boot camp years ago it was. Currently the military is in trouble because of systematic sexual abuse of females. It's learned behavior, it's behavior that's transferred. I would guess that a large % of people who post on this board have a personal experience with abuse like what happened at Rutgers, and worse. We, as a species, abuse each other daily. The strong survive and prey on the weak. The powerful take advantage of those with none. All one can do is not take part in it and speak against it. A hard thing to do sometimes.

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » April 8th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Exactly right about winning triumphs everything unfortunately. Had Rutgers been in the final four, you can bet your bottom dollar either he would still be employed or, there would be huge outcry at him being fired. Remember Bobby Knight was not fired for choking Neil Reed. He was given one more chance after that, and fired the next year after another incident. Even after Knight was finally fired, there was outrage by many Indiana fans.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » April 9th, 2013, 10:26 am

Allegations of financial misconduct, verbal abuse led to Bingham coach resignation

SOUTH JORDAN — The resignation of another successful high school coach is linked to allegations of financial improprieties and verbal abuse of players, the Deseret News has learned.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... tml?pg=all

Big Blue

Post by Big Blue » April 10th, 2013, 12:05 am

Less tolerance for it now than when Majerkus was the coach at the U. Believe it or not he left because he knew his rope was about used up. I think he learned a lot. Apparently the players at St Louis said he wasn't mean at all. Maybe there he knew his days were numbered...literally

AbsoluteAggie

Post by AbsoluteAggie » April 15th, 2013, 9:32 pm

You thought was bad??????? :crazy: How crazy do you have to be? He's still coaching his daughter's AAU team :bangwall: , "he was already coaching the team" how dumb do you have to be? Didn't you see the video and say hmmmm...... I think he should be ousted as the girls as well COME ON MAN!

Locked Previous topicNext topic