Wiki Leaks

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Wiki Leaks

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 21st, 2014, 5:43 pm

Swore I would not be a gossip monger but have a very good source...a source I have mentioned in prior posts...in the administrative arm of the athletic department two steps removed from the powers that be.

Had lunch with him today and while watching Weber State on TV Jalen's name came up. Would not say anything about Jalen's future but did comment on the past. Actually refused to comment on the future and did not even bait me with I know some things cannot comment right now. TBack to the past there was point in mid to late season where Jalen was not getting playing time (his tail bone was sore well before it was actually injured). As told to me by this source Scott Barnes had a word with Stew telling him that Jalen cannot be treated that way because Jalen was the future of our program and that the program was going to be built largely around him.

Stew reacted badly to being told what to do and sat Jalen some more. I trust this source. However, I am not naive to think there is a possibility that leaking such information iwas done to fan the fire. He did not bind me to confidence. I do know from our prior conversations he is not a big fan of Stew on a personal level. Thinks Stew is a good coach. He described Stew as arrogant, stubborn, rigid, and paranoid. The same descriptors that have infiltrated this forum. I did not have the heart to ask him what his motive was in sharing this information with me. It caught me off guard. Wish I did. My thinking is he did so either because he is feeling bad for the players and wants to moblize public opinion which gives Barnes more leverage on Stew or is leaking information to fan the firestorm Stew is facing out of his disdain or dislike for Stew. Could be both.

It is important to note he never said Stew was a bad coach. When asked if Chris Jones was a dictator the answer was absolutely not. He said any perception of agression was his passion for the game and the kids. When I asked about the rumors of Stew being abusive he gave an unequivocal and emphatic "No." He said Stew is a very difficult coach to play for because he is obsessional and perfectionistic but always treated his palyers decently. He said Stew's undoing in his words were "his arrogance and stubbornness" and "...a coach who has an over inflated opinon of himself."

So there you have it. I do trust the source and have known him for a few years. Even so I am exercising caution...the Jalen thing in my mind may or may not be accurate...those kinds of things have a "telephone" life where the message gets slightly changed with every telling...it could even be more malignant than that...leaking a rumor that may only have a kernal of truth but a 1/2 truth that can cause Stew some major problems...again motivated by dislike or contempt.

Two things I do feel confident about. The first was his emphatic "No" in terms of verbally mistreating the players. The other is that Stew is not the most likeable and difficult to relate to...I can see that arrogance and stubborness may be apt terms.

Intermeddler

Re: Wiki Leaks

Post by Intermeddler » March 21st, 2014, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the post.

This is in line with what I have heard directly from former players and assistant coaches. Stew is very demanding, practices can be intense, and he expects a lot out of his players.

I have never heard anything about him crossing the line into abusive behavior.

That being said, if the players do not feel comfortable with him for whatever reason, then the demanding aspect of his coaching can be overwhelming. Particularly if he does not extensively engage with recruits before they get on campus.

I have never heard anyone close to the program say less than glowing things about his coaching ability, but those comments were almost always followed by noting that Stew is both arrogant and stubborn.

For those expecting major changes, don't. As long as Stew is the head coach, he will continue to operate the same way.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2014, 6:12 pm

Interesting. That's pretty much everything I expected, but not what I hoped to hear. Sounds like I'll have to get my basketball fix from KU until Stew retires or dies. :noidea: Cause we ain't winning anything in the MW on Stew's current model.

diehardaggiefan
Been thanked: 0

Post by diehardaggiefan » March 21st, 2014, 6:26 pm

Stew is definitely not a bad coach, but your post backs up what many of us have seen or heard from people we have talked with closer to the situation.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 21st, 2014, 6:31 pm

Guess this is not totally new information or a surprise but I was admittedly jolted with the insertion of Scott Barnes into the dialogue and his belief that Jalen is the future of the program and is going to be rebuilt around him. That is a very positive part that I took with me. Makes it sound like Jalen is staying which is a very very good thing on a lot of levels for basketball for the sake of basketball and our community to have one of our who is viewed as a potential star and not a token recruit to satisfy the locals. Cannot wait to see this get played out next year.

LelandAggie
RIP

Post by LelandAggie » March 21st, 2014, 6:46 pm

Today at the softball game Jalen was wearing an Aggie shirt. That is all I have.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 21st, 2014, 6:49 pm

You didn't go talk to him?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » March 21st, 2014, 6:51 pm

Leland you should be more concerned with what the ladies were wearing [WINKING FACE]

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 21st, 2014, 6:53 pm

LelandAggie wrote:Today at the softball game Jalen was wearing an Aggie shirt. That is all I have.
That is source level 10 that as of today he is an Aggie. Day 1 of "Jalen Watch" is a success.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 21st, 2014, 7:15 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Thanks for the post.

This is in line with what I have heard directly from former players and assistant coaches. Stew is very demanding, practices can be intense, and he expects a lot out of his players.

That being said, if the players do not feel comfortable with him for whatever reason, then the demanding aspect of his coaching can be overwhelming. Particularly if he does not extensively engage with recruits before they get on campus.

I have never heard anyone close to the program say less than glowing things about his coaching ability, but those comments were almost always followed by noting that Stew is both arrogant and stubborn.

For those expecting major changes, don't. As long as Stew is the head coach, he will continue to operate the same way.
I wonder if the same could not be said for Coach K at Duke, or Coach K2 at Utah, both of whom, from what I have seen and
heard, are very demanding, run intense practices, and expect a lot our of their players. Is that really all it is?

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 21st, 2014, 7:19 pm

72AgGrad wrote:

I wonder if the same could not be said for Coach K at Duke, or Coach K2 at Utah, both of whom, from what I have seen and
heard, are very demanding, run intense practices, and expect a lot our of their players. Is that really all it is?
Comparing Stew to those guys is completely ridiculous. Those are great coaches.

But I think I still agree with you. They're not leaving JUST because he is demanding. There's obviously more to it than that.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 21st, 2014, 7:26 pm

72AgGrad wrote:

Ya, 'cause if so then we're basically back to the players being a bunch of panty-waists. That and the recruiting shortcomings. And maybe the fact that these two problems are, in reality, one and the same...

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:

But I think I still agree with you. They're not leaving JUST because he is demanding. There's obviously more to it than that.
Stew has been damned good. As good as Krzyzewski? Probably not, particularly if one looks at the quality of player who
goes to Duke vs the quality of player who comes to USU. I'll pose this question, however: If we give Stew the players
Coach K gets at Duke, and give Coach K the players who come to USU, then have them play 10 games, who wins more
games? Although I have said very little in any of the current threads discussing whether Stew should stay or go,
the reasons for all the players leaving the team, I am quite disheartened by what is going on in Logan. We lose 5 players
to graduation and now 2, probably 3, just leaving the team, and little if any encouraging news about recruiting, I'm
not sure we will even have a full team next year. That aside, my point is that I do not think Stew lacks on the X and O
front. Even given the obvious advantages Duke (or any other ACC or PAC-12 school) has in recruiting, I am coming around
to the view that Stew may very well be getting tired of the game - the recruiting game - and that it might be time for him
to go.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 21st, 2014, 7:44 pm

This will sound tongue in cheek, but it is not. First, coach K wins easily. Second, how likely is it that Stew's super team doesn't leave.

We have lost 4 players that weren't graduating just this year. They aren't all panty waists. Something is wrong. Not only that, there are rumors of all the rest, except for Clifford leaving as well.

Looking at the guys coming in...We have 3 HS guys that are non-mormon from out of state. Chances are none of those guys go four years. In Stew's entire career, only 2 non-mormons from out of state have played their whole career, Medlin and Pooh. So, history says none of those 3 guys, or at most one, even plays here as a senior. The numbers say that only one of Smith and Perkins will ever be seen on the court. On top of this, we suddenly can't keep local kids from utah either and have some quitting without even playing ball anywhere. We've gone from hoping and needing a miracle long shot on a late signing day JC big guy to now needing two...it ain't happening. On top of the, we may lose even more. If we do, i hate to say it, but I am done with Stew. I hope it doesn't happen.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 21st, 2014, 8:03 pm

GeoAg wrote:This will sound tongue in cheek, but it is not. First, coach K wins easily. Second, how likely is it that Stew's super team doesn't leave.

We have lost 4 players that weren't graduating just this year. They aren't all panty waists. Something is wrong. Not only that, there are rumors of all the rest, except for Clifford leaving as well.

Looking at the guys coming in...We have 3 HS guys that are non-mormon from out of state. Chances are none of those guys go four years. In Stew's entire career, only 2 non-mormons from out of state have played their whole career, Medlin and Pooh. So, history says none of those 3 guys, or at most one, even plays here as a senior. The numbers say that only one of Smith and Perkins will ever be seen on the court. On top of this, we suddenly can't keep local kids from utah either and have some quitting without even playing ball anywhere. We've gone from hoping and needing a miracle long shot on a late signing day JC big guy to now needing two...it ain't happening. On top of the, we may lose even more. If we do, i hate to say it, but I am done with Stew. I hope it doesn't happen.
Stew is yet to lose to a13 seed Lol

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

hickaggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:This will sound tongue in cheek, but it is not. First, coach K wins easily. Second, how likely is it that Stew's super team doesn't leave.

Stew is yet to lose to a13 seed Lol
Excuse me 14 seed

tkmad

Post by tkmad » March 21st, 2014, 8:34 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:

I had some twitter exchanges with someone today on Stew and Coach K was brought up as well. The point isn't to compare them by national championships, the point is to compare what they've accomplished at their respective schools given each school's resources and expectations. I think Stew has done as much in the Big West and WAC as we could ever ask for. He hasn't won any National titles like Coach K but Stew's accomplishments of winning conferences, conference tournaments, and Coach of the Year awards are in line with expectations. We'd LOVE to win titles and make sweet 16 runs as fans, but the Atheletic Department can not have national championships as a criteria for his success as the AD at Duke may.

That said, this year was a little below expectations but the player situation is most troubling. I don't think you can make a quick decision to fire him given on one issue. Give him time to handle the situation, handle the move to the MWC, and trust that he will succeed as he has a proven past of doing. If he can't resolve the issues in the next couple of years then something ahs to happen.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 21st, 2014, 8:49 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:Leland you should be more concerned with what the ladies were wearing [WINKING FACE]

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.
Sweat pants, flannel shirts, ties and mullets? Ok, that was out of line, my apologies.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » March 21st, 2014, 8:50 pm

The difference is the bond the Coaches have with their players. Coach K can be demanding because he has the respect and loyalty of his players. I don't think Stew has that. Stew has always seemed insecure to me. He can't handle any criticism and doesn't seem to embrace challenges. He has enjoyed being King of Logan where he could do as he pleased for so long. I think he has gotten fat and lazy on his thrown and we are seeing the result. No one questions his ability but I do question his effort and his ability to adapt.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 21st, 2014, 9:07 pm

TrueAG wrote:The difference is the bond the Coaches have with their players. Coach K can be demanding because he has the respect and loyalty of his players. I don't think Stew has that. Stew has always seemed insecure to me. He can't handle any criticism and doesn't seem to embrace challenges. He has enjoyed being King of Logan where he could do as he pleased for so long. I think he has gotten fat and lazy on his thrown and we are seeing the result. No one questions his ability but I do question his effort and his ability to adapt.
There was a time when I would have asked "on his thrown what?" but what the heck; Throne. As in "King Stew".

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 21st, 2014, 9:30 pm

I have heard Stew on more than one occasion say "I ain't going to change" and say, seeming with pride "that's as close to a compliment as they will ever hear from me."

Part of a coach's job is to tear a player down. It is even more important to follow it up with building them back up.

Sick of the BS

Post by Sick of the BS » March 21st, 2014, 10:19 pm

I'm new here, but I'm old Aggie blood. My father played for Cecil Baker. I attended Utah State University, as did my brothers and sisters. I've been fan for over 50 years and have contributed thousands of dollars to the University.

I gotta tell you guys. I'm pretty amazed at the tone of this board lately. Stew tells you he's going to have lean years, and when that happens, the little people, the ones who snarl and bark like my old dogs Willie and Freddie when a successful Aggie fails to meet their exalted expectations, they come out in spades.

More on Willie and Freddie later.

I show up here from-time-to-time to get Aggie news , as do most good Aggies, and I've been amazed with the BS from some of you hard core fans, the ones on this site every minute of every day who used to deride the players and are now claiming, now that these players are leaving, that we have we have a coaching problem. You're the same ones on this site the second a recruit is signed to share your "informed" opinions -- as if that's really gonna help with the recruiting process when you send guess the coaches, and can't stand it that the Aggies haven't won a Conference title for the past couple of years with the players we're bringing in. I'm particularly fond of the guy who came on here gloating that the coaching staff can't manage to land a major recruit, then showed up a week later, after the recruit had signed, stating that he might be all that great after all.

I'm one of those guys who thinks a full ride scholarship, room and board, is still a pretty big deal. I paid for my education, and my room and board, and I gotta tell you, if someone is getting a free ride, they'd better earn it. And they sure as (I can't express myself without swearing) better have the gumption to show up prepared for whatever confronts them at University just like the rest of us. I'm not saying these players are bad people, or that they can't compete. That's what all of you have been saying for the past couple of years. I am saying that all of this BS about players and, now, the coaches has become a serious distraction.

Which gets me back to my two dogs.

Willie and Freddie were a couple of Schnauzers who never saw the outside of our backyard. For years, they ruled that back yard like a couple little generals, growling and barking at everything that moved outside of the fence. If anyone looked at them crosswise, by God, they were certain to let the world know. They'd pinch a fit as if it actually mattered -- until one day my brother brought home his Alaskan Malamute. The first time one of those Schnauzers barked at that Malamute, that Malamute made it perfectly clear exactly just how big they really were.

Y'all know who you are. Let me know if the analogy is lost on you.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 21st, 2014, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the input

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 21st, 2014, 10:30 pm

What kind of schnauzer? Because a giant schnauzer is every bit a big a a malamute.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 21st, 2014, 10:36 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote: Thinks Stew is a good coach. He described Stew as arrogant, stubborn, rigid, and paranoid.
Coaching's a tough business. The job is incredibly unstable. It seems from reading the board this past season, and very specifically the last three months, paranoia on Stew's part might just be good common sense on his part. By the way, nice topic MaB.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » March 21st, 2014, 10:41 pm

Sick of the BS wrote:I'm new here, but I'm old Aggie blood. My father played for Cecil Baker. I attended Utah State University, as did my brothers and sisters. I've been fan for over 50 years and have contributed thousands of dollars to the University.

I gotta tell you guys. I'm pretty amazed at the tone of this board lately. Stew tells you he's going to have lean years, and when that happens, the little people, the ones who snarl and bark like my old dogs Willie and Freddie when a successful Aggie fails to meet their exalted expectations, they come out in spades.

I show up here from-time-to-time to get Aggie news , as do most good Aggies, and I've been amazed with the BS from some of you hard core fans, the ones on this site every minute of every day who used to deride the players and are now claiming, now that these players are leaving, that we have we have a coaching problem. You're the same ones on this site the second a recruit is signed to share your "informed" opinions -- as if that's really gonna help with the recruiting process when you send guess the coaches, and can't stand it that the Aggies haven't won a Conference title for the past couple of years with the players we're bringing in. I'm particularly fond of the guy who came on here gloating that the coaching staff can't manage to land a major recruit, then showed up a week later, after the recruit had signed, stating that he might be all that great after all.

I'm one of those guys who thinks a full ride scholarship, room and board, is still a pretty big deal. I paid for my education, and my room and board, and I gotta tell you, if someone is getting a free ride, they'd better earn it. And they sure as s*** better have the gumption to show up prepared for whatever confronts them at University just like the rest of us. I'm not saying these players are bad people, or that they can't compete. That's what all of you have been saying for the past couple of years. I am saying that all of this BS about players and, now, the coaches has become a serious distraction.

Willie and Freddie were a couple of Schnauzers who never saw the outside of our backyard. For years, they ruled that back yard like a couple little generals, growling and barking at everything that moved outside of the fence. If anyone looked at them crosswise, by God, they were certain to let the world know. They'd pinch a fit as if it actually mattered -- until one day my brother brought home his Alaskan Malamute. The first time one of those Schnauzers barked at that Malamute, that Malamute made it perfectly clear exactly just how big they really were.

I don't think there are many on this board that are smart enough to understand what you just said. I for one applaud you :notworthy:

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » March 21st, 2014, 10:52 pm

We'll said and I share your opinion.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 21st, 2014, 11:44 pm

Sick of the BS wrote: Willie and Freddie were a couple of Schnauzers who never saw the outside of our backyard. For years, they ruled that back yard like a couple little generals, growling and barking at everything that moved outside of the fence. If anyone looked at them crosswise, by God, they were certain to let the world know. They'd pinch a fit as if it actually mattered -- until one day my brother brought home his Alaskan Malamute. The first time one of those Schnauzers barked at that Malamute, that Malamute made it perfectly clear exactly just how big they really were.

I'm super intelligent. The Schnauzers clearly represent Stew and the Malamute represents every team he's played in the NCAA Tournament. :devil: :stirpot:

AgMac

Post by AgMac » March 22nd, 2014, 12:27 am

"The industrial revolution to me is just like a story i know called the puppy who lost his way. The world was changing, and the puppy was getting bigger...So you see, the puppy was like industry, in that they were both lost in the woods and nobody, especially the little boy, "society", knew where to find them. Except that the puppy was a dog, but the industry my friends, that was a revolution. Knibb High football rules!"

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 22nd, 2014, 12:55 am

Sick of the BS wrote:I'm new here, but I'm old Aggie blood. My father played for Cecil Baker. I attended Utah State University, as did my brothers and sisters. I've been fan for over 50 years and have contributed thousands of dollars to the University.

I'm one of those guys who thinks a full ride scholarship, room and board, is still a pretty big deal. I paid for my education, and my room and board, and I gotta tell you, if someone is getting a free ride, they'd better earn it. And they sure as s*** better have the gumption to show up prepared for whatever confronts them at University just like the rest of us. I'm not saying these players are bad people, or that they can't compete. That's what all of you have been saying for the past couple of years. I am saying that all of this BS about players and, now, the coaches has become a serious distraction.

Wait is that just a fancy way if tell us we are a bunch of bozos that live in our Mom's basement? :lol:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 22nd, 2014, 7:00 am

jackmormon wrote:I have heard Stew on more than one occasion say "I ain't going to change" and say, seeming with pride "that's as close to a compliment as they will ever hear from me."

Part of a coach's job is to tear a player down. It is even more important to follow it up with building them back up.
I'm not really one for "this" posts... But...

This.

If Stew is doing the former then not the latter then that's a problem. But I can't make sense of all the opinions and claims of being in the know around the program lately. Things tend not to be as bad or as good as the most ardent critics or supporters say, in any situation.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 22nd, 2014, 8:09 am

Disclaimer:I do not know what is going with the program.

I agree that some things in this board are over the top, but I'm going to be the devils advocate here. What if whatever is going on is so bad that getting a free ride, room, and board is not worth it? Maybe whatever is confronting them at the University isn't exactly like "the rest of you". If the players are leaving because they are not happy, well good for them. We are not in the 60s anymore. They have options like it or not. Just cuz someone deals with things a certain way doesn't mean everyone else has to. Something is not right in the basketball program, it's becoming a distraction, but should it be ignored? Not on the internet ;)

Is this board Willie and Freddie and you are Malamute telling us to um, mind our own business? :rant:

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » March 22nd, 2014, 9:11 am

Wow some of us do fall for everything. Because stew told us we would have a year like this everything is a okay. In that case time to shut our mouths and pray for forgiveness to the all mighty stew. He has kindly graced usu with his presence. Please don't leave stew. We now understand you are truly perfect and any player that leaves is just a pussy.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2014, 9:47 am

So Stew saying we're going to have lean years means that discussing, analyzing, and critiquing said lean years is off limits?

Under your logic, I could go tell my employer "you know, there's bound to be a couple of days this month where my productivity level just isn't as high as it usually is" and then expect to be above reproach when I slack off a little bit. Not saying Stew needs to be fired, but SB needs to sit him down and explain to him that changes need to made, whether that means firing certain assistants or just altering his coaching style a bit and actively recruiting.

Stew saying we're going to have lean years doesn't excuse the lean years. That's muddled thinking.

Attendance levels at the Spectrum, a neutered student section, player attrition, and overall disinterest in the basketball program tell you all you need to know about the health of USU basketball. Half of us diehards on these message boards had no interest in a postseason appearance this year (as per the poll a page back).

At the core, the players don't want to play anymore, and a lot of the fans don't want to watch anymore. That sounds about as bad as it could get.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 22nd, 2014, 10:12 am

TrueAG wrote:The difference is the bond the Coaches have with their players. Coach K can be demanding because he has the respect and loyalty of his players. I don't think Stew has that. Stew has always seemed insecure to me. He can't handle any criticism and doesn't seem to embrace challenges. He has enjoyed being King of Logan where he could do as he pleased for so long. I think he has gotten fat and lazy on his thrown and we are seeing the result. No one questions his ability but I do question his effort and his ability to adapt.
IMO and a lot of others I know, this is dead on.

Locked Previous topicNext topic