Wiki Leaks

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tkmad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wiki Leaks

Post by tkmad » March 22nd, 2014, 10:15 am

By reading everyone's initial posts, it seemed to me that everyone was calling for Stew to be fired. As I read on, it feels like the consensus is more that something is wrong, needs to be fixed, but it's not time to fire Stew. Is that right? That seems like the more reasonable opinion, but through twitter and this site I was thinking that most people were wanting Stew gone. Maybe we need a poll.

I think a lot of people are saying bold things but when it comes down to it most feel some changes need to be made but that change shouldn't be Stew yet.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2014, 10:30 am

tkmad wrote:By reading everyone's initial posts, it seemed to me that everyone was calling for Stew to be fired. As I read on, it feels like the consensus is more that something is wrong, needs to be fixed, but it's not time to fire Stew. Is that right? That seems like the more reasonable opinion, but through twitter and this site I was thinking that most people were wanting Stew gone. Maybe we need a poll.

I think a lot of people are saying bold things but when it comes down to it most feel some changes need to be made but that change shouldn't be Stew yet.
I think that's accurate. I don't care how the problem is solved, so long as it's solved.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 22nd, 2014, 10:46 am

Alexb wrote:
Sick of the BS wrote:I'm new here, but I'm old Aggie blood. My father played for Cecil Baker. I attended Utah State University, as did my brothers and sisters. I've been fan for over 50 years and have contributed thousands of dollars to the University.

I gotta tell you guys. I'm pretty amazed at the tone of this board lately. Stew tells you he's going to have lean years, and when that happens, the little people, the ones who snarl and bark like my old dogs Willie and Freddie when a successful Aggie fails to meet their exalted expectations, they come out in spades.

More on Willie and Freddie later.

I show up here from-time-to-time to get Aggie news , as do most good Aggies, and I've been amazed with the BS from some of you hard core fans, the ones on this site every minute of every day who used to deride the players and are now claiming, now that these players are leaving, that we have we have a coaching problem. You're the same ones on this site the second a recruit is signed to share your "informed" opinions -- as if that's really gonna help with the recruiting process when you send guess the coaches, and can't stand it that the Aggies haven't won a Conference title for the past couple of years with the players we're bringing in. I'm particularly fond of the guy who came on here gloating that the coaching staff can't manage to land a major recruit, then showed up a week later, after the recruit had signed, stating that he might be all that great after all.

I'm one of those guys who thinks a full ride scholarship, room and board, is still a pretty big deal. I paid for my education, and my room and board, and I gotta tell you, if someone is getting a free ride, they'd better earn it. And they sure as s*** better have the gumption to show up prepared for whatever confronts them at University just like the rest of us. I'm not saying these players are bad people, or that they can't compete. That's what all of you have been saying for the past couple of years. I am saying that all of this BS about players and, now, the coaches has become a serious distraction.

Which gets me back to my two dogs.

Willie and Freddie were a couple of Schnauzers who never saw the outside of our backyard. For years, they ruled that back yard like a couple little generals, growling and barking at everything that moved outside of the fence. If anyone looked at them crosswise, by God, they were certain to let the world know. They'd pinch a fit as if it actually mattered -- until one day my brother brought home his Alaskan Malamute. The first time one of those Schnauzers barked at that Malamute, that Malamute made it perfectly clear exactly just how big they really were.

Y'all know who you are. Let me know if the analogy is lost on you.
Disclaimer:I do not know what is going with the program.

I agree that some things in this board are over the top, but I'm going to be the devils advocate here. What if whatever is going on is so bad that getting a free ride, room, and board is not worth it? Maybe whatever is confronting them at the University isn't exactly like "the rest of you". If the players are leaving because they are not happy, well good for them. We are not in the 60s anymore. They have options like it or not. Just cuz someone deals with things a certain way doesn't mean everyone else has to. Something is not right in the basketball program, it's becoming a distraction, but should it be ignored? Not on the internet ;)

Is this board Willie and Freddie and you are Malamute telling us to um, mind our own business? :rant:
I totally agree with this. it is easy to say this players are wimps and can't handle playing for Stew when you lose a couple a year, but when you are looking at potentially losing every scholarship player...you've got to consider other possibilities. I don't think that we suddenly got a massive bunch of wimps. The culture around the program has changed for the negative. Everyone can feel it. I hope Stew can fix it. To do so he needs to hold on to the young guys from here on out.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 22nd, 2014, 10:50 am

by ineptimusprime » Yesterday, 11:44 pm

Sick of the BS wrote:
Willie and Freddie were a couple of Schnauzers who never saw the outside of our backyard. For years, they ruled that back yard like a couple little generals, growling and barking at everything that moved outside of the fence. If anyone looked at them crosswise, by God, they were certain to let the world know. They'd pinch a fit as if it actually mattered -- until one day my brother brought home his Alaskan Malamute. The first time one of those Schnauzers barked at that Malamute, that Malamute made it perfectly clear exactly just how big they really were.

Y'all know who you are. Let me know if the analogy is lost on you.

I'm super intelligent. The Schnauzers

Love it inept especially since I am not super intelligence and seemingly missed the boat. I thought Stew was the Malamute and Barnes was the Schnauzer!

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 22nd, 2014, 11:58 am

The Morrill of this story is that it is a lot easier to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who wins than it is to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who loses. This goes for players and fans alike.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 22nd, 2014, 1:25 pm

Mario - Nicely done. It takes a lot of words and time to arrive at your very simple elegant statement. Bobby Knight is living proof a tyrant that makes Stew look like Mr. Sensitive. As long as he won he was everybody's hero. Larry Bird leaves he has others standing in line who were willing to suck it up knowing what Knight was about and play winning ball.

Sick of the BS
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sick of the BS » March 22nd, 2014, 2:01 pm

It's posts like these last two that highlight the real problem here. I've been associated with Logan long enough to know what happens when a small, but vocal bunch of so-called insiders get their noses bent out of shape by someone they say is and arrogant. As my old dad used to say, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, but it's only the stubborn and arrogant -- not to mention kind of, I guess, stupid for lack of a better word -- who feel the need to put theirs on display on a public forum.

As I recall, Larry Bird played at Indiana State University. He was a Sycamore, not a Hoosier, and I suspect he'd probably get the same kick I did over the notion of players who leave the team because their coach loses. :bangwall:

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 22nd, 2014, 2:03 pm

Hey, did you guys know that SICK OF THE BS's dad played for Cecil Baker and that he also contributes a lot of money to the University? Those seems to be the requirements for knowing what you're talking about on this board.

My issue with Stew's tough love approach isn't the tough, but rather the love. THERE IS NONE. From what I am hearing (pretty please let's doubt my sources again, this always works out really well), the problem with Stew is that he is unwilling to accept constructive criticism, hangs his hat on those 20-win seasons regardless of what is currently happening around him, and makes no effort to actually build relationships with his players. They are just a bunch of X's and O's to him.

You want to talk about why kids are leaving? They are being tricked into coming here. Stew makes promises about relationships and a family atmosphere that he never backs up. If these kids knew that they were going to get here and have a very business-like relationship with their coach, that is one thing. However, they are being fooled into thinking that this program is much more supportive than it truly is.

Now excuse me, I have to get back to my yard before the Malamutes snatch me up and show me who the real Aggie fans are.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 22nd, 2014, 2:10 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:Mario - Nicely done. It takes a lot of words and time to arrive at your very simple elegant statement. Bobby Knight is living proof a tyrant that makes Stew look like Mr. Sensitive. As long as he won he was everybody's hero. Larry Bird leaves he has others standing in line who were willing to suck it up knowing what Knight was about and play winning ball.
Bird played for Indiana State.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » March 22nd, 2014, 2:29 pm

Sick of the BS wrote:It's posts like these last two that highlight the real problem here. I've been associated with Logan long enough to know what happens when a small, but vocal bunch of so-called insiders get their noses bent out of shape by someone they say is and arrogant. As my old dad used to say, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, but it's only the stubborn and arrogant -- not to mention kind of, I guess, stupid for lack of a better word -- who feel the need to put theirs on display on a public forum.
I don't agree. IMO it's posts like yours, and people with opinions like yours, who are the real problem here. People who have the attitude that everyone should shut up and go along with how things are regardless of bad they may be. Follow authority, don't question, do what you're told. That may work for you, and it's a very easy way to live, but it doesn't work for everyone. Living by that that rule allows things to happen that shouldn't. I've known people like you, a lot of them, because I've been around for a while, and don't have much use for them.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 22nd, 2014, 2:31 pm

Bird was at iu for a month then got "homesick"

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » March 22nd, 2014, 2:46 pm

MarioWest wrote:The Morrill of this story is that it is a lot easier to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who wins than it is to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who loses. This goes for players and fans alike.
This sums up this entire debacle. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgTime

Post by AgTime » March 22nd, 2014, 3:14 pm

brian5562 wrote:Bird was at iu for a month then got "homesick"
Yes, and the point you make Brian, was the point.

Edit: in case anyone is interested... http://www.insidethehall.com/2009/03/05 ... by-knight/

Sick of the BS

Post by Sick of the BS » March 22nd, 2014, 4:25 pm

You wanna talk about easy, Seldomseen?

So you guys get on a public forum and impugn a coach's professional reputation over something you heard somebody say somebody else said, the father of a player butt sore over something the coach said to his little boy perhaps -- under psuedonyms no less? That to you is the most effective way to voice your concerns over the state of the athletic program? As if that's not easy? And here I thought the recent comments from a handful of you comparing your knowledge of the situation to performance issues in a business setting suggested you might have some real life experience to share. Not!

Let's take the business world, if that's the analogy you want to use. Where I cut my teeth, you take your concerns to the people who have it within their power to do something about it -- and you do it in private just in case you find out you don't have all of the facts, or you keep your mouth shut. If you have evidence of serious abuse on the part of the coach, more than just bruised egos, give it to the administration. If not, and this is just a couple of dissatisfied players, or their dads, unhappy because they expect a little more love with their tough, my money is with the coach. In the mean time, this whisper campaign to undermine the coach is nothing but an unfortunate distraction, and a harmful one at that.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 22nd, 2014, 5:27 pm

Sick of the BS wrote:You wanna talk about easy, Seldomseen?

So you guys get on a public forum and impugn a coach's professional reputation over something you heard somebody say somebody else said, the father of a player butt sore over something the coach said to his little boy perhaps -- under psuedonyms no less? That to you is the most effective way to voice your concerns over the state of the athletic program? As if that's not easy? And here I thought the recent comments from a handful of you comparing your knowledge of the situation to performance issues in a business setting suggested you might have some real life experience to share. Not!

Let's take the business world, if that's the analogy you want to use. Where I cut my teeth, you take your concerns to the people who have it within their power to do something about it -- and you do it in private just in case you find out you don't have all of the facts, or you keep your mouth shut. If you have evidence of serious abuse on the part of the coach, more than just bruised egos, give it to the administration. If not, and this is just a couple of dissatisfied players, or their dads, unhappy because they expect a little more love with their tough, my money is with the coach. In the mean time, this whisper campaign to undermine the coach is nothing but an unfortunate distraction, and a harmful one at that.
You called someone stupid for saying that Larry Bird started at Indiana, when he did I fact start at Indiana. So who is really the "stupid" one?

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » March 22nd, 2014, 7:01 pm

Well, first of all, I haven't impugned Stew's reputation and haven't been involved in any of the discussions about what someone said, or what someone heard as far as Stew's coaching style, how he treats players, etc. I have no knowledge of that, and haven't commented on it. I've been critical of his recruiting and his counseling out of players, nothing else. If you can prove otherwise, do so.

I don't care about your stories about your dogs, or your business experience, or whatever else you want to throw out there. None of that matters to me. What does matter is someone coming on here telling people to shut up when they have no more knowledge of what is going on in the program than those they're criticizing. It shows a certain type of personality. Some people have this thing about them. They develop an emotional investment in an institution, a person, etc. A belief system of sorts. When things happen that shake up that belief system, it rattles them. They can't force themselves to admit that they may have been wrong, so they attack those who bring opinions that they perceive as being threatening. And like I said, I don't have much use for people like that. They usually make good little followers, but that's about it. So you can tell me to shut up all you want. It won't do you any good. Call me stupid. That doesn't bother me. Accuse me of saying things that I haven't. That doesn't bother me right now either, because that's been happening for a while on here. It's old news.

Sick of the BS

Post by Sick of the BS » March 22nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

So now you're a psychologist now, Seldomseen, to go with your basketball expertise. And you've got me all figured out, have you. You must dealing with some serious dissonance, my friend, if you have little use for people who tell others what to think that is. I'd invite you to go back and read my posts, though I wouldn't want to offend your inflated sense of independence. My point all along has been I really don't give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing) what you think. I don't see anybody rushing out to make you head coach, and your opinions on recruiting and scholarships are not all that relevant. I don't mind telling you, though, that you're known by the company keep.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 22nd, 2014, 11:25 pm

Anyone else sick of Sick of the BS after only 4 posts?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » March 22nd, 2014, 11:29 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:Anyone else sick of Sick of the BS after only 4 posts?
Haha, he makes StanfordAggie seem reasonable.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » March 22nd, 2014, 11:34 pm

MarioWest wrote:The Morrill of this story is that it is a lot easier to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who wins than it is to tolerate a stubborn, arrogant coach who loses. This goes for players and fans alike.
Pretty much. Nobody cared that a pretty good player like James Walker III left the program after 2011. Why would fans? We were 30-4. Many fans still thought we would make the ncaa tournament in 2012 even with losing everybody. Remember those shirts that said "13 straight postseason appearances"? There was a confidence about the program that has completely gone away. Things are a little different after 3 average to below average seasons.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » March 23rd, 2014, 5:56 am

Sick of the BS wrote:So now you're a psychologist now, Seldomseen, to go with your basketball expertise. And you've got me all figured out, have you. You must dealing with some serious dissonance, my friend, if you have little use for people who tell others what to think that is. I'd invite you to go back and read my posts, though I wouldn't want to offend your inflated sense of independence. My point all along has been I really don't give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing) what you think. I don't see anybody rushing out to make you head coach, and your opinions on recruiting and scholarships are not all that relevant. I don't mind telling you, though, that you're known by the company keep.
No one has to be a psychologist to figure you out. You're easy. Instead of posting your opinions about some aspect of the basketball program, you chose to come on and go after other posters who you don't agree with. You thought you'd tell us how things are, how we should behave, by using your cute little anecdotes about puppies, or your business experiences. All grandpa needs to do is tell us a tale, and we'd give you the respect that you feel you so deserve. It's probably worked for you in the past in certain situations. Must be a shock for you when that doesn't happen.

Sick of the BS

Post by Sick of the BS » March 23rd, 2014, 8:54 am

Not a shock at all. As I said, I've been associated enough with Logan long enough to know how small minds work. Hence, my anecdote about my dogs Willie and Freddie. You'll go on yapping from your little back yard kingdom as if your opinion on Stu's coaching ability matters, and the handful of heal nippers, you know, the little that like to snap at your ankles when your back is turned, will join right in with you.

Anyway point made. And, I'm pretty certain at this point that there are more people out there in Aggieland sick of you than sick of me.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 23rd, 2014, 9:20 am

Sick of the BS wrote:Not a shock at all. As I said, I've been associated enough with Logan long enough to know how small minds work. Hence, my anecdote about my dogs Willie and Freddie. You'll go on yapping from your little back yard kingdom as if your opinion on Stu's coaching ability matters, and the handful of heal nippers, you know, the little that like to snap at your ankles when your back is turned, will join right in with you.

Anyway point made. And, I'm pretty certain at this point that there are more people out there in Aggieland sick of you than sick of me.
This is a message board. Message boards by definition are about yapping. Opinions can vary greatly on different topics. If you don't like people sharing opinions and "yapping" don't frequent the message board.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 23rd, 2014, 9:22 am

Sick of the BS wrote:Not a shock at all. As I said, I've been associated enough with Logan long enough to know how small minds work. Hence, my anecdote about my dogs Willie and Freddie. You'll go on yapping from your little back yard kingdom as if your opinion on Stu's coaching ability matters, and the handful of heal nippers, you know, the little that like to snap at your ankles when your back is turned, will join right in with you.

Actually I think a lot of us really enjoy sss's posts and the knowledge and information he has. Do I disagree with him all the time? Of course, but I enjoy his opinion, viewpoint and what he brings. I like it and think different perspectives are healthy. He didn't come in here with a trolling board name and start firing off acting superior to everyone.

Also, with your business analogy, I'm not quite sure that works because in this scenario we are the owners. Fans and donors are the reason why the game is even played and they have every right to voice their opinion.

Seldomseensmith

Post by Seldomseensmith » March 23rd, 2014, 10:52 am

The only thing I've ever said about Stew's coaching ability is that he's the best head coach we've ever had at USU. As I said before, I've never commented on his coaching style or how he treats players. I've only been critical of his recruiting, and how many players he counsels out. But obviously you want to believe what you want to believe. If you feel I'm not being honest about it, you're free to prove otherwise. I could say try to get that through that small mind of yours, but won't.

Unlike you, I'm well aware of what my opinion is worth. It isn't worth much. I'm also aware of the fact that my opinions on things like religion and politics rub a lot of people the wrong way and that some of them come after me on the basketball message board for it. And like you said, I'm sure they're sick of me. But one thing I don't do, a big difference between us, is that I don't have an overinflated sense of self worth like you do and tell people to shut up and not post their opinions. I wouldn't even say that to you, and your opinion is about as worthless as I've seen on here.

I've enjoyed our back and forth. It was interesting watching someone who's obviously used to being listened to, come on a message board and preach to people, try to put them in their place with folksy stories from the old days and say........look at me, how wise and important I am.......... then get a beat down. You take care.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 23rd, 2014, 11:21 am

SSS is about the most valuable contributor to the basketball forum we have. Top 3 anyway

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 23rd, 2014, 12:58 pm

Aggiesdotcom hope you are not being sarcastic. SSS is definately a top 3 contributer. Surprised someone has not put together a poll to test Sic of the BS's presumption that more people in Aggieland are sick of Seldom seen than Sic of the BS.

ereksonaggie

Post by ereksonaggie » March 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Who are the others in the top 3 (I'd just DIE if I was one!)? At least this thread has been fun to read, instead of just being REALLY depressing.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 23rd, 2014, 9:10 pm

Ereksonaggie with that last comment you just went from 4th to 2nd. Your humor and a little levity goes a long way in the Forum's RPI.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 23rd, 2014, 9:28 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:Ereksonaggie with that last comment you just went from 4th to 2nd. Your humor and a little levity goes a long way in the Forum's RPI.
Forum RPI. :lol: That made my day. :cheers:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 23rd, 2014, 9:29 pm

I'm sick of all you guys being sick of sic of the BS.

hopefully we actually find something out tomorrow so all of the speculation and business/medical/canine analogies can come to an end.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 23rd, 2014, 10:36 pm

Sick of the BS wrote:
I can assure you this isn't true. Please leave and never come back.

hatescougars

Post by hatescougars » March 25th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Excellent point Good job!

Locked Previous topicNext topic