World Series

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

World Series

Post by sam tingey » October 21st, 2014, 1:18 pm

Who will win? I want the Giants to win it but I worry that the Royals defense won't give them weird scores like the Cards and Nats did. I think the royals win in 6 and I am ok with that.

AggieFirefighter

Re: World Series

Post by AggieFirefighter » October 21st, 2014, 1:38 pm

I've got to agree.. I'm a die hard Giants fan- (Since there are so many bandwagon fans, I can name every player on the team including many of their stats to back it up..) and I obviously hope the Giants win.. That being said, I think the Royals will win it - They're just playing balls out awesome baseball with trick plays and they're really fun to watch. I can't wait for the series to start tonight! It's going to be an all out battle.. Go Giants!!

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 21st, 2014, 2:01 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat with both of you - although I don't really classify myself as "die-hard" fan of anyone anymore - I do like SF almost as much as I do the Aggies, and have been following them for 35 years (Aggies only 22). I would really relish another Giants Championship - but have serious concerns whether they can get there this time.

I can't wait for Game 1 - I saw a spotlight on MadBum this morning which showed some changes he made last off-season which resulted in Stolen Bases off him reducing by some huge amount this year, compared to last - so maybe he'll be able to limit one of KC's strengths tonight.

Also, just saw this about Posey's draft at lunchtime - you guys may already know the story, but I found it interesting.
SF Gate Article

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » October 21st, 2014, 2:19 pm

I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the show. Neither team is my favorite but I do like both teams. As long as the Yankees or White Sox aren't in then it's a win for me.

Prediction wise I'm not sure if the Royals can lose. Maybe the time off waiting for game one will have cooked them down a bit. The Giants can only hope.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10 ... 833a28.jpg

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 21st, 2014, 2:25 pm

So fun item. A guy in my office who is a NASCAR fan to the max, doesn't really know the rules to baseball watched the Giants Cards series and now thinks baseball is actually a really fun sport. Not better than NASCAR, but not as lame as he previously thought. This year's playoffs have been VERY entertaining to say the least.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 21st, 2014, 3:23 pm

sam tingey wrote:So fun item. A guy in my office who is a NASCAR fan to the max, doesn't really know the rules to baseball watched the Giants Cards series and now thinks baseball is actually a really fun sport. Not better than NASCAR, but not as lame as he previously thought. This year's playoffs have been VERY entertaining to say the least.
Certainly, and though I hated it, it has been the case from Game 1 Oakland at KC.

The postseason is the only time that I can really stand to watch multiple games per day - or even more than a couple a week

VegasAggie71
Been thanked: 0

Post by VegasAggie71 » October 21st, 2014, 5:41 pm

I'm not a fan of either team, but will be cheering for the Royals, mainly because the Giants have two recent WS wins.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 21st, 2014, 10:20 pm

1 DOWN!
MadBum was awesome, getting through the 3rd with runners on 2-3 bases with 0 outs! WOWIE!!

Lowest Postseason Road ERA! (with minimum 25 innings) - 0.68, ahead of
Bob Gibson 0.97
Mariano Rivera 1.02
Sandy Koufax 1.04
Lefty Grove 1.11

#GoGiants

AggieFirefighter

Post by AggieFirefighter » October 21st, 2014, 10:39 pm

MadBum is a monster! I'm impressed, That 3rd inning, I've got to agree with AGinNEIowa.. What an inning.. 6 more to go but we only need 3.. The Giants have had a hell of a team on the road this post season.. Bringing up Joe Panik may be one of the best decisions the Giants made all year, He was clutch in the 7th tonight and who could forget his Homer in game 5 against the Cards... #GoGiants!

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 22nd, 2014, 5:45 am

Always surprising when the Giants score more than 3 runs. Way to go Giants. MadBum was incredible. I felt bad that he finally gave up a run in the WS though.

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 22nd, 2014, 8:00 am

So glad Perez was able to yank one on Bumgarner, to at least tame the love affair between Bumgarner and Joe Buck. I almost muted the T.V. listening to those closet NL announcers.

Royals are also good on the road, and Ventura, Vargas, and Guthrie have had a good post season thus far. Shields has been disappointing.

Hopefully, the Royals can even the series tonight against those cavemen.

lugenstien

Post by lugenstien » October 22nd, 2014, 11:48 am

I have tickets for Game 3 in San Francisco. I love even years. Let's go Giants.

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 22nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

LUCKY!!!

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 22nd, 2014, 9:35 pm

After two, it's even 1-1. This one went how I expected it - I hope the Giants can finish it at home

Runs scored are almost even, too 9-8

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 23rd, 2014, 5:56 am

Don't think the Giants will be seeing much from Strickland anymore this Series. What a goof! 5 homers given up before Timmy even throws one pitch. Crazy.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 23rd, 2014, 7:24 am

I know, when TL was out there, I was thinking "where was HE in the 6th???"

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 23rd, 2014, 8:34 am

KC proved they can hit the SF bullpen, SF hasn't proved they can hit the KC bullpen. This puts added pressure on SF to get ahead early. If they don't do that, they're in trouble.

KC must take advantage of San Fran when Bumgarner isn't pitching. If they lose against any other pitcher other than Bumgarner, they are in trouble.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » October 23rd, 2014, 3:13 pm

Why hasn't Lincecum pitched until last night? I was thinking he must have been injured, but evidently not.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 23rd, 2014, 5:09 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:Why hasn't Lincecum pitched until last night? I was thinking he must have been injured, but evidently not.
he struggled in the season, and went out of the starting rotation in ??August?? I don't recall for sure, but I think his relief appearances weren't very good either. He seemed to have refound his stroke last night. I hope he keeps it up, and is solid mid-relief when needed. Leaving with back tightness may not be a good sign, though.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 24th, 2014, 5:27 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:Why hasn't Lincecum pitched until last night? I was thinking he must have been injured, but evidently not.
he struggled in the season, and went out of the starting rotation in ??August?? I don't recall for sure, but I think his relief appearances weren't very good either. He seemed to have refound his stroke last night. I hope he keeps it up, and is solid mid-relief when needed. Leaving with back tightness may not be a good sign, though.

Lincecum had a stretch in the regular season where he looked like the Timmy of old. Consistency has been his biggest problem the last couple of years.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 24th, 2014, 5:30 pm

aggieaggie wrote:KC proved they can hit the SF bullpen, SF hasn't proved they can hit the KC bullpen. This puts added pressure on SF to get ahead early. If they don't do that, they're in trouble.

KC must take advantage of San Fran when Bumgarner isn't pitching. If they lose against any other pitcher other than Bumgarner, they are in trouble.

Scoring a lot of runs isn't San Francisco's forte. They usually rely on strong starting pitching and a tough bull pen. You are correct when you note that KC knocking around the Giants bullpen like they did has to be a source of worry for SF.

Game 3 tonight - Pleasant Grove resident Jeremy Guthrie is on the hill for the Royals. He has a tendency to give up the long ball but has been a solid #3 or #4 starter for most of his career. Here's to a Royals victory tonight and in the series :cheers:

Eutaw St. Aggie

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » October 24th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Always been an American League guy since I was in 4th grade. Those of us 60 or older, remember those that grew up in CV and how the elementary principals would get a TV and invite us into a huge room at school just to watch the World series that was played in the daytime then? It was just the American thing to do then. Now if a teacher or principal tries that he'd be out the door. Plus, there is very little day games any more. I felt a part of America in little Trenton Utah because I was watching the World series. Those days it was the New York Yankee's, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Baltimore Orioles, the Pittsburgh Pirates, My American league team when I was young was the Orioles, then when I was Older it was the Oakland A's who had just moved from Kansas City. I watched the Old Ogden A's with players for them were Reggie Jackson(Mr. October-period), Sal Bando, Bert Campenairus, Joe Rudy, and a couple of real young pictures one was Blue Moon Odum, and the other a real young 19 year old by the name of Vida Blue. A few years later when I was 17 I watched my A's win in 1973. Then again in 1974, and again in 1975. 3 years in a row. So Charley Finley the A's owner started trading players away just like the ole Cohnie Mack did with the Philadelphia A's who won 3 in a row! Finley was asked why he would trade some of his best players? His comment was,"Its not good for baseball to have one team win it all the time! No one has won 3 straight since and no one will ever again! Game and players are just set up different now days! So I've been an American league guy since with the exception when Tony Larussa was the Cardinals manager. He was the A's manager when Canseco and Maquire was there, the bash brothers! I did like the dodgers for a while when Lasorda was their manager, cause I watched him manage in Ogden when Ogden was the Dodgers farm team. My dad played 1 year with the White Sox back in 1931, so he influenced me to be an American league guy. Go Royals, even though I prefer the City of San Fran over Kansas City, duh-no brainer. Who doesn't love the beauty of San Francisco?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 26th, 2014, 10:04 pm

This World Series is a yawner. As a huge baseball fan, it's the first WS I have watched very little of in 55 years. You have to truly be a fan of either team to care. Usually there is some matchup or intrigue, or big time player to catch your interest. This year? Nothing catches my fancy.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 27th, 2014, 6:24 am

ESPN has today's sports fan pegged. If we don't have something shiny to intrigue us we don't watch. Gone are the days of watching because you enjoy the game being played. It is a sad reality.

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 27th, 2014, 7:01 am

I can understand your position mcaggie. It's how I felt when the Braves and Yankees played in 99. I loathe both teams and didn't care to watch that sweep. I really like this WS because it is my kind of baseball. Great defense, the KC Royals' outfield defensive range is incredible, small ball, lots of base hits, sacrifices, and balls in play from both teams. I like homeruns as much as the next guy, but when that is all the game is like in the 90s, I kind of tune out.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 27th, 2014, 8:12 am

The 8th inning clutch hit came in mourning...
Jeff Passan's Story on Juan Perez

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 27th, 2014, 9:31 am

The only reason I am watching, is because I like the Royals. If It were any other team, I'm not watching.

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » October 27th, 2014, 9:57 am

So, do the Giants finish it out tomorrow? Does it go to 7th game? Do the Royals repeat 85 and win both at home? I am rooting for the Giants but won't be too sad if the Royals make another miracle comeback.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm

I can't make up my mind if SF can close out Tues or not. Obviously, KC already beat Peavy, but the Giants have shown that they are capable of hitting off the Royals' best - but in AT&T. Can they do it on the road, with the home fans cheering against them?

If I weren't a Giants fan, I'd probably not care for the series, but I think it has been some great baseball. I love the way both teams have produced runs, instead of sitting and waiting for the long-ball. Anytime there's been a base runner, the intensity has sky-rocketed. Pence's hustle and leading so many offensive categories (6 R, 9 H, 5 RBI, .474 BA), Gordon, Dyson Cain's speed (how many gappers have they caught - or just cut off to save more bases?).Then consider MadBum. He really got into a groove this post season, and hasn't let base runners rattle him at all.

What if Royals win Tues. Is there any way Bochy could/would go back to MadBum?? Could he start on 2 days' rest? That would be crazy, right? Didn't Randy Johnson pitch 3 times in the WS a few years ago?

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 27th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I do think Royals make it a seven game series. Peavy = not better than Ventura. I think that Giants beat the Royals in game seven, though.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 27th, 2014, 3:36 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:I can't make up my mind if SF can close out Tues or not. Obviously, KC already beat Peavy, but the Giants have shown that they are capable of hitting off the Royals' best - but in AT&T. Can they do it on the road, with the home fans cheering against them?

If I weren't a Giants fan, I'd probably not care for the series, but I think it has been some great baseball. I love the way both teams have produced runs, instead of sitting and waiting for the long-ball. Anytime there's been a base runner, the intensity has sky-rocketed. Pence's hustle and leading so many offensive categories (6 R, 9 H, 5 RBI, .474 BA), Gordon, Dyson Cain's speed (how many gappers have they caught - or just cut off to save more bases?).Then consider MadBum. He really got into a groove this post season, and hasn't let base runners rattle him at all.

What if Royals win Tues. Is there any way Bochy could/would go back to MadBum?? Could he start on 2 days' rest? That would be crazy, right? Didn't Randy Johnson pitch 3 times in the WS a few years ago?
I don't imagine Bochy would start him on two days rest, but if Hudson wobbles in a Game 7, my guess is that MB would be the first guy out of the pen.

Normally I like the Giants okay, but how can anyone without a rooting interest go against the Royals? 30 years in the desert -- too much like the Aggies. Gotta love the scrappy underdogs! GO ROYALS!! (Although I mostly just want to see it go 7 games...)

Nobody here knows anything.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 28th, 2014, 9:16 pm

well, Game 7 it is. Tomorrow is also first round of Football playoffs. My senior son is starting at MLB and TE.
GameCenter it is, I guess. I don't know if I can stand the wait to watch it - won't get home from football until 1130 or later...

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 29th, 2014, 8:37 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:well, Game 7 it is. Tomorrow is also first round of Football playoffs. My senior son is starting at MLB and TE.
GameCenter it is, I guess. I don't know if I can stand the wait to watch it - won't get home from football until 1130 or later...
Plus, someone at the game getting a live feed might spoil it for you, if you have it recording.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 29th, 2014, 8:44 am

aggieaggie wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:well, Game 7 it is. Tomorrow is also first round of Football playoffs. My senior son is starting at MLB and TE.
Plus, someone at the game getting a live feed might spoil it for you, if you have it recording.
Yup - last Friday (same pitchers, KC win) there was quite a lot of talk amongst those who sat in my immediate vicinity. I haven't decided what I should do - try not to sit by them tonight, or just go ahead and watch the GC feed. I'm not sure I'll be able to get home around midnight and then watch a 3+ hour game. But I really want to watch it, especially if it's an epic dual with strategery.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 31st, 2014, 8:09 am

A day or two late on this, but I thought this was the best Series in years.

One last question to kick around: Should the Royals have sent Alex Gordon home instead of holding him at third on his 2-out hit in the ninth? I thought so -- whatever the chances of him beating the throw home (he's not a speedster like so many of the Royals), or the Giants screwing up the relay/catch/tag at the plate, they had to be better than the chance of Bumgarner giving up another hit.

Plus: will we ever have another chance to see a World Series decided by a play at the plate in the bottom of the ninth of a Game 7? Probably not.

Nobody here knows anything.

Locked Previous topicNext topic