Favorite Stew Moments

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Favorite Stew Moments

Post by Yossarian » January 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm

One of my favorite Stew moments was when fans were throwing debris on the Spectrum floor after some horrible officiating and Stew grabbed the PA microphone and admonished the fans with a very loud and very stern "Quit throwing (I can't express myself without swearing) on the floor!!" and nothing else.

Another one that I remember, that I was sitting very close to when it happened, was a argument between Stew and Dick Hunsaker when Dick was the interim coach at Utah. Dick was whining to the refs non-stop about every little thing. Stew had made several comments to Dick across the sideline to sit down and keep quiet. At a dead ball Dick started in on a ref on the sideline. Stew walked over and Dick started in on Stew. Stew stood there and nodded with smirk on his face while Dick yelled. When he finished Stew got real close to him and said "Why don't you just shut the F up and go back to your bench?".

His look of bewilderment at the Braden Bell 3-point attempt was classic as well.

Stew was always ready with a big grin and friendly wave whenever you would see him walking around town or on campus. Good people, Stew.

Any other favorite memories?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ratofallaggies

Re: Favorite Stew Moments

Post by ratofallaggies » January 9th, 2015, 12:54 pm

His back and forth with the NMSU player was good.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » January 9th, 2015, 1:06 pm

My favorite was the press conference before the Ohio State game in the NCAA tournament. Stew was asked (in effect) "Are you intimidated by being a little school playing the likes of Ohio State?"

His response "We're really not all that different. They have 3 or 4 MacDonald's All-Americans. And we have a MacDonald's in Logan."

The media had no idea how to deal with that answer.

Then he took his team out and beat 'em.

Unfortunately, he correctly assessed the situation at the celebration pep rally a few days later. He said that it is rare for a coach to be popular after more than 7 or so years in charge of a school. "I hear those "Stew" cheers but I am aware that they can easily turn to Boos." I hope he can hear "STeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww" for the rest of the season.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » January 9th, 2015, 1:06 pm

When we beat Nevada at Nevada cannot remember the year, but I think Jared Quayle made a big play at the end of that game. For a split second Stew really celebrated. It was fun to see.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » January 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm

He is still talking about the vulgar, obnoxious nmsu fan that always sat right behind stew berating and screaming foul words (stew was no stranger to salty language)

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 9th, 2015, 1:28 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:My favorite was the press conference before the Ohio State game in the NCAA tournament. Stew was asked (in effect) "Are you intimidated by being a little school playing the likes of Ohio State?"

His response "We're really not all that different. They have 3 or 4 MacDonald's All-Americans. And we have a MacDonald's in Logan."

Unfortunately, he correctly assessed the situation at the celebration pep rally a few days later. He said that it is rare for a coach to be popular after more than 7 or so years in charge of a school. "I hear those "Stew" cheers but I am aware that they can easily turn to Boos." I hope he can hear "STeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww" for the rest of the season.
That was actually before we played Florida in the Maui, but close.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Post by letsbehonest » January 9th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Mine was when he took a page out of Rick Pitino's book and didn't put a man on the guy inbounding the ball for UC Irvine at the end of the game. Next thing you know Jerry Green is running off the court like a mad man because he just stuck a dagger in Aggieland.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 9th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Stew on the PA to the students: "Quit throwing s*** on the floor!!!!" I want to say that was vs Long Beach circa 2002.

- Dallin

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » January 9th, 2015, 1:55 pm

For me it was his reaction prior to and immediately after the Jardine dunk at St. Mary's. As you watch the play unfold you see him telling Pane to slow down, but, next thing you know Jardine silences the entire gym and Stew simply pulls his pants up and puts his hands on his hips, with an expression that says, "not how I would've done it, but we just won the game." It may seem weird to remember a moment where such a great coach was "wrong," but his reaction to that dunk shows both his tendency to play it conservative and that his ultimate concern was winning.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 9th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I have not seen my favorite Stew moment yet.

Someone HAS to have video of the "sweep dance"

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 9th, 2015, 2:04 pm

I remember the night we beat Utah and Bogut by 26 pts or so, and how he made sure to clap to the crowd to show his appreciation.

His reaction after the overtime win in Reno, when Quayle took over the game in the extra period. About as excited as I've seen Stew.

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » January 9th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Dammit...getting misty in here. Just listened to Stew's press conference and I'm really just sad. I love Stew Morrill, man. Stew started at USU during my sophomore year, and it wasn't too long before USU hoops became the thing that forged my ties with MY school. He has been an institution...a legacy...and I can't help but attribute much of my love and pride for USU to what he accomplished with our basketball team.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 9th, 2015, 2:21 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I remember the night we beat Utah and Bogut by 26 pts or so, and how he made sure to clap to the crowd to show his appreciation.

His reaction after the overtime win in Reno, when Quayle took over the game in the extra period. About as excited as I've seen Stew.
This is one of mine, as well. That win over Nevada was the start of our 17-game winning streak that seaon, if I'm not mistaken.

- Dallin

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 9th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Another good one was the media asked him about how hard it is to travel to Hawaii. He told them that he wasn't going to complain about traveling over there ONCE a year like other coaches do, cause Hawaii has to do it ALL YEAR FOR EVERY ROAD GAME.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 9th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Winning 4 straight WAC titles after hearing USU wouldn't be able to make the transition from the BW to the WAC.

Beating BYU in Provo by more than 20 and winning in the Huntsman Center over a nationally ranked team.

Guy had a great career.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 9th, 2015, 2:43 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:Winning 4 straight WAC titles after hearing USU wouldn't be able to make the transition from the BW to the WAC.

Beating BYU in Provo by more than 20 and winning in the Huntsman Center over a nationally ranked team.

Guy had a great career.
When did this happen?

- Dallin

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 9th, 2015, 2:55 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:Winning 4 straight WAC titles after hearing USU wouldn't be able to make the transition from the BW to the WAC.

Guy had a great career.
When did this happen?

Last win at the Huntsman Center was the 2001-02 season. USU beat the Utes 78-65. Utah was ranked No. 9 in the AP pre-season rankings and 2-0 going our game with USU (thanks, USUStats).

Eutaw St. Aggie

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » January 9th, 2015, 2:56 pm

GreenAg wrote:Dammit...getting misty in here. Just listened to Stew's press conference and I'm really just sad. I love Stew Morrill, man. Stew started at USU during my sophomore year, and it wasn't too long before USU hoops became the thing that forged my ties with MY school. He has been an institution...a legacy...and I can't help but attribute much of my love and pride for USU to what he accomplished with our basketball team.

That makes two of us my friend. USU may find another great coach, but a little piece of me died when I heard the news today. My favorite college memories of are of Stew, the Spectrum and USU basketball.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 9th, 2015, 3:05 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:My favorite was the press conference before the Ohio State game in the NCAA tournament. Stew was asked (in effect) "Are you intimidated by being a little school playing the likes of Ohio State?"

That was actually before we played Florida in the Maui, but close.
I'm pretty sure it was before the Ohio State game in the big dance. I think I've seen video footage of it.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » January 9th, 2015, 3:05 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I remember the night we beat Utah and Bogut by 26 pts or so, and how he made sure to clap to the crowd to show his appreciation.

This is the moment I tried to explain. But not nearly as eloquent as hipster.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 9th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Yossarian wrote:
AGGZILLA wrote:

Guy had a great career.
When did this happen?

Last win at the Huntsman Center was the 2001-02 season. USU beat the Utes 78-65. Utah was ranked No. 9 in the AP pre-season rankings and 2-0 going our game with USU (thanks, USUStats).
Utah was not ranked in the preseason, nor heading into that game(11-23-01): http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... LBabW_A-n4

- Dallin

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 9th, 2015, 4:03 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
AGGZILLA wrote:

Guy had a great career.
When did this happen?

Utah was not ranked in the preseason, nor heading into that game(11-23-01): http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbask ... LBabW_A-n4
I stand corrected - when I pulled up the historical box score and then the link to the AP poll - it must have given me the current poll as opposed to the one from the 2001 season. Thanks.

Eutaw St. Aggie

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » January 9th, 2015, 5:05 pm

My 2nd favorite was when what may have been his most talented team lost to Northridge in the 1st round of the BW tournament. Partly because he kept running his offense through a player that couldn't see out of his mask and continually had the ball ripped from him or made poor passes due to lack of vision. Adjustments?

Or maybe my favorite moment was when we were losing to UCSB and he puts Mike Ahmad in and we go on a run to regain the lead. Mike Ahamad scoring either 8 or 10 points in that run. Then Mike doesn't see the floor the rest of the game and we lose. That may have been my favorite. So many to chose from.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 9th, 2015, 5:26 pm

letsbehonest wrote:My 2nd favorite was when what may have been his most talented team lost to Northridge in the 1st round of the BW tournament. Partly because he kept running his offense through a player that couldn't see out of his mask and continually had the ball ripped from him or made poor passes due to lack of vision. Adjustments?

Or maybe my favorite moment was when we were losing to UCSB and he puts Mike Ahmad in and we go on a run to regain the lead. Mike Ahamad scoring either 8 or 10 points in that run. Then Mike doesn't see the floor the rest of the game and we lose. That may have been my favorite. So many to chose from.

Or how about the time when he told you your kid was ugly, slept with your wife, ran over your cat, got you fired from your job, shot your porch light out with a BB gun, took your parking place, pilfered your life savings, got you cut from your high school basketball team, passed gas in the elevator you shared with him, spread rumors about you on social media, and vandalized your grandmother's grave? Yeah - he was the worst.

Eutaw St. Aggie

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » January 9th, 2015, 6:03 pm

My wife can't have children, he never stole my parking spot, but the rest of your post is spot on.

DCS
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCS » January 9th, 2015, 6:24 pm

letsbehonest wrote:My 2nd favorite was when what may have been his most talented team lost to Northridge in the 1st round of the BW tournament. Partly because he kept running his offense through a player that couldn't see out of his mask and continually had the ball ripped from him or made poor passes due to lack of vision. Adjustments?

This is a post that really pisses me off. I get that you didn't like Stew as a coach, and that you are happy that he is going to be gone. Today's news should be great for you, and yet you are still (I can't express myself without swearing) on his ability to coach. Let us celebrate the dude on the day he announced his retirement you inconsiderate (I can't express myself without swearing).

You will get to see the how things change next year and see if you were right about Stew all along. I find it unbelievable that you post these things today in a thread about how positive he has been for the school. Posting things like this is purposely trying to get under the skin of those who are memories of the greatest coach in the history of the school. Start a thread to complain all you'd like but to do it in here don't expect a kind response.

My favorite memory of Stew will be the Reno tournament in 09. Before the first game against Fresno he just looked up at the traveling students and just shook his head. Gave us a look like these kids are insane.

Donman

Post by Donman » January 9th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Let's Be Honest. He's a jerk

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » January 9th, 2015, 10:04 pm

letsbehonest wrote:My wife can't have children, he never stole my parking spot, but the rest of your post is spot on.
Dear gawd man! Show some respect for your wife. The fact you're shooting blanks already calls your masculinity into question.

ConvoAggie

Post by ConvoAggie » January 10th, 2015, 12:50 am

Thanks for the honesty, dick head.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 10th, 2015, 2:08 am

Ah yes. The winningest coach in USU basketball history just announced his retirement, the man who gave us something to cheer for, when the rest of the athletic department was a giant steaming pile of crap. Dredge up your worst memories, because, Let's Be Honest, you're a jerk.

*Dang. I was still back on page one, and Donman beat me to it.

I try to stay away from personal attacks here. I try to be reasoned and conciliatory, but you really are a piece of work. If you had a varicose vein anywhere on your body, we could call it a hemorrhoid. You are just a giant walking toothache of a person.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » January 10th, 2015, 9:00 am

The Day USU hired him as head BB coach. Is there a better moment than that? #1 favorite moment

Unless I've missed some of the comments, I don't think USU gets into the MW without the success of Stew Ball. #2 favorite moment

Stew also remained the gentleman and never got defensive when he was starting to get criticism from this board and other places. #3 favorite moment

Least favorite moment.....When the fans no longer say "Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew"

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » January 10th, 2015, 9:25 am

Don't forget that time he drew up a play for Braydon Bell to bury that clutch 45 footer at Utah.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 10th, 2015, 9:35 am

letsbehonest wrote:My wife can't have children, he never stole my parking spot, but the rest of your post is spot on.
Too bad your mother could.

uscaggie

Post by uscaggie » January 10th, 2015, 10:15 am

Let's hope and pray that there isn't another woman to have sex with you then (assuming your wife is that stupid)

Maybe it's your impotence? Judging by how stupid you are maybe your doing it wrong?

Either way, the world already has enough idiots. Please DO NOT propagate your genes

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » January 10th, 2015, 10:59 am

Man so much hate. I thought I was the angry one. Don't be mad at me because coach continually came up short when it mattered. We all remember different things. I remember those piss poor games as much as I remember beating the power house cal poly to get to the dance in 2003.

Locked Previous topicNext topic