Duryea Poll

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

How would you rate the Tim Duryea hire?

Poll ended at April 5th, 2015, 11:07 pm

5%
6%
12%
8%
5%
14%
5%
17%
7%
1%
2%
To be determined in 3 years
18%

Total votes: 129

utaggies

Duryea Poll

Post by utaggies » March 29th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Let's hear it.

GeoAg

Re: Duryea Poll

Post by GeoAg » March 29th, 2015, 11:09 pm

0 or 1 for the presser tomorrow, but you don't win any basketball games with press conferences. The real and only answer is TBD in three years IMO.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 29th, 2015, 11:26 pm

2, vanilla cones all around

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 29th, 2015, 11:29 pm

We'll know by the end of conference this next year -- When we finish at or below .500 in conference (ignore OOC -- I'm sure Duryea will have plenty of scheduled wins early); we'll know we have Dave Arslanian Part Deux.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2015, 11:44 pm

USUBlue wrote:We'll know by the end of conference this next year -- When we finish at or below .500 in conference (ignore OOC -- I'm sure Duryea will have plenty of scheduled wins early); we'll know we have Dave Arslanian Part Deux.
You obviously have more info than me. I only know what my eyes tell me and that is the team is loaded for a top 1-3 MW finish next year. What is it that makes you think that this team will regress to sub .500 in conference with the new coaching staff? Any decent coach should do better than that with the team coming back running the exact same system. We'll have some added front court depth with the transfer from Tulsa to boot. I get the rest but what objective basis do you have to suggest that Duryea will be a far below average coach (not recruiter). Any decent coach should be able to have a really nice year and push for the top of the MW next year. Is he that bad? Put your info on the table.

Long term who knows, but I've got a feeling that you're gonna be disappointed with the success of this team the next two years...and wrong again. You swore up and down from whatever inside info you claimed to have that Duryea was not on the radar...even as a backup plan.

In fact I'd be the first to call to fire him if a relatively healthy team finishes below .500 in conference next year.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 30th, 2015, 6:05 am

hickaggie wrote:
USUBlue wrote:We'll know by the end of conference this next year -- When we finish at or below .500 in conference (ignore OOC -- I'm sure Duryea will have plenty of scheduled wins early); we'll know we have Dave Arslanian Part Deux.
You obviously have more info than me. I only know what my eyes tell me and that is the team is loaded for a top 1-3 MW finish next year. What is it that makes you think that this team will regress to sub .500 in conference with the new coaching staff? Any decent coach should do better than that with the team coming back running the exact same system. We'll have some added front court depth with the transfer from Tulsa to boot. I get the rest but what objective basis do you have to suggest that Duryea will be a far below average coach (not recruiter). Any decent coach should be able to have a really nice year and push for the top of the MW next year. Is he that bad? Put your info on the table.

Long term who knows, but I've got a feeling that you're gonna be disappointed with the success of this team the next two years...and wrong again. You swore up and down from whatever inside info you claimed to have that Duryea was not on the radar...even as a backup plan.

In fact I'd be the first to call to fire him if a relatively healthy team finishes below .500 in conference next year.
USU's better finish this year (11-7 in conference) had as much to do with the conference being down this year as it did with the team improving. Sagarin ranked USU 15 places higher last year and we had a much tougher schedule. Yeah, SJS dragged the conference ranking and our SOS down this year, but even the median ranking for the conference was worse.

What should we expect this coming year? If UNLV and NM bounce back from unprecedented poor showings we could finish worse than 11-7 even with a better team. I believe our collective expectation is that we are a top 3 team next year and that we receive an NCAA invite. I also think that depends on us getting another big man and a true PG. All of these are tall orders. Further, we are all holding our collective breath that all of our core players come back now that Duryea has been hired. I know of nothing that tells me that they won't all be back.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 30th, 2015, 6:19 am

I have a few criteria for judging this hire. From a completely outside perspective, it seems like we settled for the in-house guy because everyone said no. If we would have hired Duryea right off the bat, I wouldn't be as disappointed. Secondly, I was hoping this hire would re-ignite excitement for the program. As I sit here reading this board, it is apparent that this hiring was a complete dud. Finally, I feel that continuity is somewhat important. The team last year performed better than expected and keeping that momentum is a positive. Overall, I am not impressed at all with this hiring at this point, but I am willing (as always) to see what Duryea can do. I think I owe him that much.

This hiring says more about Barnes than anything else in my opinion.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » March 30th, 2015, 6:32 am

if we can win 1 NCAA tounament game in the next 3 years, anb beat BYU once then i am good wth this hire. 2 and i am elated.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 30th, 2015, 7:22 am

NVAggie wrote:I have a few criteria for judging this hire. From a completely outside perspective, it seems like we settled for the in-house guy because everyone said no. If we would have hired Duryea right off the bat, I wouldn't be as disappointed. Secondly, I was hoping this hire would re-ignite excitement for the program. As I sit here reading this board, it is apparent that this hiring was a complete dud. Finally, I feel that continuity is somewhat important. The team last year performed better than expected and keeping that momentum is a positive. Overall, I am not impressed at all with this hiring at this point, but I am willing (as always) to see what Duryea can do. I think I owe him that much.

winner winner chicken dinner

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 30th, 2015, 7:25 am

utaggies wrote:
hickaggie wrote:

USU's better finish this year (11-7 in conference) had as much to do with the conference being down this year as it did with the team improving. Sagarin ranked USU 15 places higher last year and we had a much tougher schedule. Yeah, SJS dragged the conference ranking and our SOS down this year, but even the median ranking for the conference was worse.

What should we expect this coming year? If UNLV and NM bounce back from unprecedented poor showings we could finish worse than 11-7 even with a better team. I believe our collective expectation is that we are a top 3 team next year and that we receive an NCAA invite. I also think that depends on us getting another big man and a true PG. All of these are tall orders. Further, we are all holding our collective breath that all of our core players come back now that Duryea has been hired. I know of nothing that tells me that they won't all be back.
Why shouldn't this team be substantially improved with experience. Yeah, the league should, and I hope will be, much better but the Aggies should be too. I will agree with USUBLUE and everyone else here if this team isn't fighting for the top the league next year. With a star like Jalen, the best returning sophomore in the conference in Collette, added front court depth, and another year of continuity in the system this team should roll..if they don't then Duryea was bad hire.

Its not like he has the luxury of low expectations like Stew did this year. He's gotta perform and then show he can recruit.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 30th, 2015, 7:29 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
NVAggie wrote:I have a few criteria for judging this hire. From a completely outside perspective, it seems like we settled for the in-house guy because everyone said no. If we would have hired Duryea right off the bat, I wouldn't be as disappointed. Secondly, I was hoping this hire would re-ignite excitement for the program. As I sit here reading this board, it is apparent that this hiring was a complete dud. Finally, I feel that continuity is somewhat important. The team last year performed better than expected and keeping that momentum is a positive. Overall, I am not impressed at all with this hiring at this point, but I am willing (as always) to see what Duryea can do. I think I owe him that much.

You mean this year didn't reignite fire for the program. If it didn't I don't know what would.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 30th, 2015, 8:00 am

hickaggie wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:

You mean this year didn't reignite fire for the program. If it didn't I don't know what would.
Did you actually go to any games this year? The Spectrum had thousands of empty sets every night; tickets sold went unused constantly. Even Stew's last game had hundreds of unused seats. This year was better than the last 3 years before, but "reignite" is a stretch. Good luck to Duryea -- he's going to need it.

tbadge
Has thanked: 0

Post by tbadge » March 30th, 2015, 8:13 am

USUBlue wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:

Did you actually go to any games this year? The Spectrum had thousands of empty sets every night; tickets sold went unused constantly. Even Stew's last game had hundreds of unused seats. This year was better than the last 3 years before, but "reignite" is a stretch. Good luck to Duryea -- he's going to need it.
Anyone know where the stats showing home game attendance, let's say for the last 3-4 years, is? I attended more home games this year (9 for those that may be wondering) than I have in years past but I agree with USUblue on this.

Lots of empty seats, perhaps due to a large amount of games being broadcast this year, to counter a reignited fan base discussion. People's interest seemed to be up, based on personal discussion at work/home/church, but it didn't seem to show up in terms of physical attendance at the games. Although from where I sat in the Spectrum for the CSU game I didn't see 100's of empty seats.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 30th, 2015, 8:26 am

IMO - the worst possible outcome. I seriously am pretty sure I am done with BB at USU. My donations will be now specifically only to the football program and the college of business. Barnes dropped the ball big time on this one, what a joke.

frankiedoeshollywood

Post by frankiedoeshollywood » March 30th, 2015, 8:29 am

Chupamedia wrote:IMO - the worst possible outcome. I seriously am pretty sure I am done with BB at USU. My donations will be now specifically only to the football program and the college of business. Barnes dropped the ball big time on this one, what a joke.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 30th, 2015, 8:48 am

tbadge wrote: Anyone know where the stats showing home game attendance, let's say for the last 3-4 years, is?
http://www.usustats.com/seasons/

Change season in the drop down at the top. Attendance stats are at the bottom of the page.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » March 30th, 2015, 8:50 am

if only there was a website that showed usu stats. stats for usu. usu stats. dot com.

;)

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 30th, 2015, 9:25 am

I agree with you my friend, but I tend to pull up two names from the past before using Arslainian....Kohn Smith, because he is basketball....and Chris Pella, because his name hurts more to think about than DA.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 30th, 2015, 10:09 am

Zero.

On paper, I can't think of a worse hire. Sure, he could end up proving most of us wrong, but IMO the odds of him being fired in a couple years are much greater.

He just doesn't bring anything new to the table. He's already been recruiting to USU for the last 14 years so it's not like we can expect some new areas or new connections and he's most likely not as good as Stew at game planning and executing. My prediction is this doesn't end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 30th, 2015, 10:16 am

Chupamedia wrote:IMO - the worst possible outcome. I seriously am pretty sure I am done with BB at USU. My donations will be now specifically only to the football program and the college of business. Barnes dropped the ball big time on this one, what a joke.
I wonder if this is a subtle move to focus on football. Very few programs in the country excel at both as resources need to focus on one to be successful, IMO. For instance, the Merlin Olsen Fund is only for Football, correct?

Even though you are down on basketball, it's great you are still supporting other programs at Utah State.

:cheers:

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 30th, 2015, 10:25 am

Thanks chowder - I am always an Aggie, but these last few years have been tough. I love Stew and all he's done, but I was excited to see some momentum forward. I just can't continue to justify spending money on poor decisions. That may sound like sour grapes and maybe it is, but it's also my choice. I like the direction of football and the college of business (where I got my degree) and have no issue giving to them. This hire however is numbing.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 30th, 2015, 10:28 am

2004AG wrote:Zero.

On paper, I can't think of a worse hire.
So true. Give be Jim Boylen, or give me death!

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

frogman812

Post by frogman812 » March 30th, 2015, 10:31 am

Do we know if the players were polled and had any input?

El Jefe
Been thanked: 0

Post by El Jefe » March 30th, 2015, 11:33 am

frogman812 wrote:Do we know if the players were polled and had any input?
Jalen and Collette both are quoted as being in favor, not that anyone would object publicly. We will see does not like the decision by learning who is leaving the program. But the word is that he is liked by the team.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » March 30th, 2015, 11:35 am

hickaggie wrote:
He doesn't have more info than you.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 30th, 2015, 12:13 pm

You could construct an argument for a 6-7 on the hire if it had been announced in tandem with Stew's announcement that he was stepping down. Probably overly risk averse even at that point, but Duryea has a relatively low floor and there is very real value to that security and continuity. Having waiting this long and with so many public rumors about other candidates, the perception is that USU settled, which isn't good for the basketball program in general and undermines Duryea in particular. So, I'd have to give it the hiring a 3.

Obviously the best answer is "wait and see in 3 years" but that's evaluating the results rather than the process. The typical MWC hire has either or both of a more impressive resume and a higher ceiling. Duryea may well succeed. "Good Xs and Os, well-liked" is not a bad place to start, so, hopefully, he will be great. Based on publicly available information and the odd manner in which the search process transpired, however, Duryea's hiring doesn't look good right now.

I do believe Barnes made the best of a bad situation. He had to be surprised, as I am, that the other (assumed) candidates all turned him down. At that point, the aforementioned security and continuity provided by Duryea outweigh the minor upside and higher risk of any other candidates willing to accept the job. The problem isn't so much the hire of Duryea, it's that the other candidates--and I think you have to assume there were other candidates--all turned Barnes down.

There's every chance in the world Duryea knocks it out of the park and proves me wrong. Here's hoping that's the case.

mehascrayon

Post by mehascrayon » March 30th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Strange to see recent star players all in support of Duryea, but message board fans in turmoil. Strange indeed.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 30th, 2015, 12:56 pm

El Jefe wrote:
frogman812 wrote:Do we know if the players were polled and had any input?
Jalen and Collette both are quoted as being in favor, not that anyone would object publicly. We will see does not like the decision by learning who is leaving the program. But the word is that he is liked by the team.
I know for a fact that one of those (won't say which one publicly) does not really feel that way. He outright told me himself and others do not get along with Duryea. He was excited about the Tommy Connor rumors.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 30th, 2015, 12:58 pm

mehascrayon wrote:Strange to see recent star players all in support of Duryea, but message board fans in turmoil. Strange indeed.
You expect them to give a quote publicly saying they don't like their coach? Hahaha

mehascrayon

Post by mehascrayon » March 30th, 2015, 12:59 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
mehascrayon wrote:Strange to see recent star players all in support of Duryea, but message board fans in turmoil. Strange indeed.
You expect them to give a quote publicly saying they don't like their coach? Hahaha
Tai didn't have to post. Brady didn't have to post. Newbold didn't have to post. Don't insult me sir.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Duryea Poll

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 30th, 2015, 12:59 pm

mehascrayon wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Tai didn't have to post. Brady didn't have to post. Newbold didn't have to post. Don't insult me sir.

Oh whoops I thought I saw "current star players". My bad
Last edited by BleedAggieBlue0 on March 30th, 2015, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mehascrayon

Post by mehascrayon » March 30th, 2015, 1:00 pm

My use of "recent" was aimed at them. Not current.

Locked Previous topicNext topic