Conference Championship Game in Logan

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Rabidchild

Conference Championship Game in Logan

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I don't think I've seen this discussed specifically, but I'm surprised no one is mentioning that the loss to SDSU, while shockingly one-sided, really did not derail any of the Aggies' goals in terms of winning the conference championship. Of course a win there would have given us a huge cushion going into the last 4 conference games and kept hope of a NY6 Bowl alive. But even after that loss, we still control our own fate in terms of winning out and hosting the conference championship game in Logan.

While we likely must win out to play in the CCG (since Boise is not likely to lose another game), the likelihood is that IF we do win out, we have a VERY good chance of hosting the game -- even if SDSU does not lose either. And certainly if SDSU does lose one between now and then, USU is virtually guaranteed to host the championship game. And we will be favored in all of our remaining conference games, despite what the doomsdayers are saying after our loss last weekend. I'm looking at this from a purely statistical and probabilistic approach.

But wait, you say.... if USU and SDSU both win out, both teams will be 7-1 and they beat us, so SDSU would host the CCG, right?? Wrong. It might seem logical to think that if both teams finish 7-1, with USU having lost to SDSU, the Aztecs would get to host the game... but this is not actually how the host is determined.

According to the MW CCG host selection rules, the host is determined by whoever is ranked higher in the final College Football Playoff Committee rankings. Since neither USU nor SDSU is likely to be ranked at all in these ranking, the host selection rules state that the host shall determined by whoever is ranked higher in a composite of selected computer rankings. While the identity of the computer rankings used in this "composite" are apparently a secret known only within the MW office, as it currently stands, USU is ahead of SDSU in the Sagarin ranking (USU 58, SDSU 65). USU is ahead of SDSU in ESPN's Football Power Index (USU 64, SDSU 72). Most interestingly and importantly, USU is also ahead of SDSU in the Massey ratings (USU 59, SDSU 67). The Massey ratings appear to be particularly useful in this analysis because (if I understand the Massey ratings correctly) they are a "composite" of numerous computer rankings. This makes sense since we have had "better losses" than SDSU and we have a better win (over Boise State) than they will have, plus we still have a chance to pick up a win vs BYU, which would further increase our ranking ahead of SDSU. Perhaps the MW office will be looking at the Massey ratings as its "composite" of computer ratings systems - some reporter should ask Craig Thompson for clarification at one of the weekly press conferences.

In any event, my point is that if USU does make the championship game, there is still a great chance that we will host it in Logan. In that regard, the loss the other night was not particularly harmful to our overall goal of winning the conference championship. Well, other than the fact that it showed that we might not be able to beat SDSU. But playing them at home and not turning the ball over 4 times will give us a great chance to beat them. And we would likely be favored to win if we were to host them in December.

Sources:
http://mwc-platform.silverchalice.co/v3 ... 1ed5ceeeab
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... eamratings
http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
Last edited by Rabidchild on October 26th, 2015, 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Rabidchild

Re: Conference Championship Game in Logan

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Footnote:
1) Boise State has a 65.8% chance of winning out, the second best "win out %" in the nation behind Appalachian State, per http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... probWinOut .
Last edited by Rabidchild on October 26th, 2015, 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 26th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Great news! thanks for posting Rabid.
I'm surprised Treesap didn't think of this first? :devil:

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 1:52 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Great news! thanks for posting Rabid.
He probably did, and I have been thinking of this since watching the game (to help me cope with my disappointment, by telling myself it really doesn't matter that we lost - we will be hosting them in the CCG either way), but I finally had a few minutes to type it all up.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Maybe Matt Wells is a mad genius, and allowed the score to get lopsided once he realized that defeat was inevitable, so that he can use it as extra motivation when we play these guys in the rematch in Logan on December 5th. :devil: :stirpot:

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Probability of winning remaining games (per ESPN Football Power Index):

vs. Wyoming - 93.6%
at New Mexico - 80.2%
at Air Force - 59.7%
vs. Nevada - 87.3%

In other words, we have a 39.1% chance of winning all of our remaining conference games and reaching the conference championship game. This is the 5th best "win out %" in the nation, if you exclude the exhibition game we are playing against BYU to end the season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... probWinOut

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Probability of SDSU winning its remaining games (per ESPN Football Power Index):

at CSU - 56.8%
vs. Wyoming - 92.3%
at UNLV - 69.3%
vs. Nevada - 82.2%

So, SDSU has a 29.8% chance of winning its remaining conference games.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 2:08 pm

The conclusion that I draw from all of this analysis: It is more probable than not that Utah State will be hosting San Diego State on December 5th in Logan. Setting a price alert for airfare to Utah December 4th now. :utah: :state:

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
He probably did, and I have been thinking of this since watching the game (to help me cope with my disappointment, by telling myself it really doesn't matter that we lost - we will be hosting them in the CCG either way), but I finally had a few minutes to type it all up.
Sure enough, Treesap was already all over this issue, just saw his post in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39111

I agree that we do not need to "leapfrog" SDSU by beating BYU, as some in the linked thread were suggesting. The interesting thing would be to see if a loss vs. BYU would hurt us enough to drop below SDSU in the event both teams win out in conference. I don't think it would.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
Sure enough, Treesap was already all over this issue, just saw his post in this thread:

I agree that we do not need to "leapfrog" SDSU by beating BYU, as some in the linked thread were suggesting. The interesting thing would be to see if a loss vs. BYU would hurt us enough to drop below SDSU in the event both teams win out in conference. I don't think it would.
:thanks: Great minds think alike, my friend.

It will likely come down to the exhibition game against BYU. While that game is as meaningless to BYU as the other 11 exhibitions that they play, it may actually be meaningful to us in that it may determine who hosts the CCG.

Let's hope SDSU slips up to provide a little cushion.

Of course, this could all be irrelevant if we don't win out the rest of our games. Winning at Air Force will not be a walk in the park, and I think UNM and maybe even Nevada will put up a fight... JFW and the rest will take care of itself.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 26th, 2015, 2:49 pm

If SDSU is currently 4-0, how will this be a possible result?
Rabidchild wrote: But wait, you say.... if USU and SDSU both win out, both teams will be 7-1 and they beat us, so SDSU would host the CCG, right?? Wrong. It might seem logical to think that if both teams finish 7-1, with USU having lost to SDSU, the Aztecs would get to host the game... but this is not actually how the host is determined.
source http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/standings

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieaggie » October 26th, 2015, 2:54 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:If SDSU is currently 4-0, how will this be a possible result?
Rabidchild wrote: But wait, you say.... if USU and SDSU both win out, both teams will be 7-1 and they beat us, so SDSU would host the CCG, right?? Wrong. It might seem logical to think that if both teams finish 7-1, with USU having lost to SDSU, the Aztecs would get to host the game... but this is not actually how the host is determined.
Yep, I had the same question. Does the ranking have priority over the record, or does it only apply if the records are the same?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 26th, 2015, 2:56 pm

aggieaggie wrote:
Yep, I had the same question. Does the ranking have priority over the record, or does it only apply if the records are the same?
Yes, rank has priority over record. They did that so that our conference would have the greatest chance of representing the G5 in a new years bowl game.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Haha, you burned me there by catching my mistake :thanks: :lol: . But my point is even stronger if corrected with your so-called "facts" about their current 4-0 record (your source is a website, which already makes it less credible ;) ).

That is, even if they go 8-0 in conference and we go 7-1 (with a loss to them no less), we will host the CCG at this point given our higher computer ranking.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Record is not taken into consideration, neither is head to head results. It's the higher ranked team by computer rankings.

Speaking of which... this summer the MWC debated whether to change the system to pit the top two rated teams against each other in the CCG, regardless of division. Last season we risked losing the NY6 bid because Boise played a poor Fresno State team in the CCG. Had Fresno won the MWC would have lost the bid completely.

Had Boise played Colorado State, Utah State, the winner would've likely claimed the bid regardless of who won.

I'm not sure what was eventually decided, if anything, but they were definitely discussing it.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ms-to-meet

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 3:04 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:
Yes, rank has priority over record. They did that so that our conference would have the greatest chance of representing the G5 in a new years bowl game.
Yep - read the MW host site determination rules: http://mwc-platform.silverchalice.co/v3 ... 1ed5ceeeab
It goes to the team with the highest CFP ranking, or, if no teams are ranked, to the team with the highest composite football ranking.

Personally, I agree with this decision because, as ace points out, this was done to give our conference champion the best chance possible of being the auto-bid into a NY6 bowl over other other G5 conference champions.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm

The BYU game won't be an "exhibition game" as suggested, since it might be vital to win to keep our ranking higher than SDSU's ranking. It might determine whether or not we host the championship game.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 3:09 pm

treesap32 wrote:Record is not taken into consideration, neither is head to head results. It's the higher ranked team by computer rankings.
Well, its highest ranked by the College Football Playoff rankings, as determined by Condoleezza Rice and her colleagues on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. But in years like this we will not have any team ranked. Ironically, if Boise State wins out, they could possibly be ranked and would be the highest ranked MW team in the CFP rankings...but would be ineligible to host by virtue of not winning the division.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Chatman wrote:The BYU game won't be an "exhibition game" as suggested, since it might be vital to win to keep our ranking higher than SDSU's ranking. It might determine whether or not we host the championship game.
Yep. Crazy that an exhibition game against a team with no conference could matter that much, but since it factors into our overall computer rankings, it may have some meaning. For Utah State anyway. For BYU it's just another one of their 12 exhibition games they play each year before going to their predetermined mid-to-low level bowl game (assuming eligibility is met).

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
treesap32 wrote:Record is not taken into consideration, neither is head to head results. It's the higher ranked team by computer rankings.
Well, its highest ranked by the College Football Playoff rankings, as determined by Condoleezza Rice and her colleagues on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. But in years like this we will not have any team ranked. Ironically, if Boise State wins out, they could possibly be ranked and would be the highest ranked MW team in the CFP rankings...but would be ineligible to host by virtue of not winning the division.
Do CFP rankings have any computerized component or is it just subjective placement?

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Speaking of which... this summer the MWC debated whether to change the system to pit the top two rated teams against each other in the CCG, regardless of division. Last season we risked losing the NY6 bid because Boise played a poor Fresno State team in the CCG. Had Fresno won the MWC would have lost the bid completely.

Had Boise played Colorado State, Utah State, the winner would've likely claimed the bid regardless of who won.

I'm not sure what was eventually decided, if anything, but they were definitely discussing it.

Interesting 'Sap. I didn't know there was discussion of this. It makes sense if we really want our champion to have the best chance possible of getting the NY6 auto bid.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » October 26th, 2015, 3:15 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:
Do CFP rankings have any computerized component or is it just subjective placement?
It's just the way that this group of people rank the teams:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/s ... -committee

So it's subjective but I'm sure that just like the basketball Selection Committee, they have tons of info, including computer rankings, to look at and debate as they vote and come to their consensus as to their final rankings.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Rabidchild wrote:

Interesting 'Sap. I didn't know there was discussion of this. It makes sense if we really want our champion to have the best chance possible of getting the NY6 auto bid.
I agree, but it also devalues the regular season games/records and division championships. While not probable, it could also result in a situation where two divisional runner-ups get to play for the championship. There could be some crazy stuff happen if you base it solely on computerized or subjective rankings.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 26th, 2015, 3:56 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:

I agree, but it also devalues the regular season games/records and division championships. While not probable, it could also result in a situation where two divisional runner-ups get to play for the championship. There could be some crazy stuff happen if you base it solely on computerized or subjective rankings.

Not so. Only the division winners are taken into account, and the home field is given to the highest ranked of the 2 teams.

cval

Post by cval » October 26th, 2015, 3:58 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:

Not so. Only the division winners are taken into account, and the home field is given to the highest ranked of the 2 teams.
I think he was suggesting a scenario had they changed the rules.... which they did not.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 26th, 2015, 4:03 pm

cval wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:

I think he was suggesting a scenario had they changed the rules.... which they did not.
My bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 26th, 2015, 5:26 pm

cval wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:

That's right cval. So did they make a final decision then? I was never able to find a follow up article. It seemed like they came away from the meeting with it still being considered.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 26th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Anything to help Boise I guess.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 26th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
Rabidchild wrote:

;)

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » October 27th, 2015, 4:04 pm

Here's an interesting article from the San Diego Union Tribune explaining their understanding of how the MWC chooses the location and gives the edge to SDSU if the season were to end today.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... game-host/

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 27th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Well, there's the computer rankings we have been looking for verification of. The MWC uses these four selected computer rankings:

1. Anderson & Hester SDSU-68 USU-71
2. Billingsley SDSU-58 USU-61
3. Colley SDSU-56 USU-62
4. Wolfe Matrix SDSU-61 USU-59

seems like an odd collection of rankings. :headscratch:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 27th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Aglicious wrote:Well, there's the computer rankings we have been looking for verification of. The MWC uses these four selected computer rankings:

3. Colley SDSU-56 USU-62

I've never heard of any of those rankings until now. We should still host if we win out, but it may be closer than I thought.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » October 27th, 2015, 10:23 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:Well, there's the computer rankings we have been looking for verification of. The MWC uses these four selected computer rankings:

3. Colley SDSU-56 USU-62

I've never heard of any of those rankings until now. We should still host if we win out, but it may be closer than I thought.
All of Aggie nation should be a fan of Colorado State on Saturday. It is SDSU's toughest game remaining on the schedule.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » October 28th, 2015, 7:58 am

Dwigt wrote: All of Aggie nation should be a fan of Colorado State on Saturday. It is SDSU's toughest game remaining on the schedule.
Can I just say that I love being part of a conference where stuff like this happens, and that the Aggies are good enough to have this sort of thing be relevant to us now! Go Rams!

:utah: :state:

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » October 28th, 2015, 1:47 pm

treesap32 wrote:

3. Colley SDSU-56 USU-62

The Reporters article may not be totally accurate. I found this article but it is not clear if the MWC actually adopted this recommendation. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... title-game
I would like to know the Aztec reporters sources, maybe he knows something more? If the CBS article is correct the following polls will be used: Wolfe, Anderson/Hester, Billingsley, Colley, Massey, Sagarin

Sagarin has Utah State 58, and SDSU 65
Massy Utah State 60, and SDSU at 68

If you average that current ranking between the 6 polls it has USU 61.7, and SDSU at 62.7 meaning USU takes it. However, I am not sure if they average them or simply take the highest ranking number from one of the 6 polls? IF so SDSU's highest ranking is 56 whereas USU's highest ranking number is 58.

In any case if USU wins out I agree they take it anyway.

#hornsup!

Locked Previous topicNext topic