Thoughts on Duke game?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
corio

Thoughts on Duke game?

Post by corio » November 25th, 2015, 4:51 pm

If we were to contain Allen how do you think we'd end up? One thing I love about Aggie basketball is that we always have multiple producers so a team watching tape one game may put a lot of effort towards a player, only to have a different one light it up (Hello, Brian Green), however I'm afraid of the classic Aggie Jitters getting to us early. I'm thinking we hang in for most of the game, but I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Duke game?

Post by ProvoAggie » November 25th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I see it going like the Georgetown game. We'll hold our own for a little while but Duke will eventually wear us down and pull away. I'd love to see a win but I'll be happy just seeing a good outing by our team.

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 25th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Duke is gonna blitz us from the start. Their pressure will force a billion turnovers

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » November 25th, 2015, 5:08 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:Duke is gonna blitz us from the start. Their pressure will force a billion turnovers
Big game for Rector. If he can stay under control and break the press we may fair decent, if not it will be a long night. On the upside we havent had a ball handler like rector in a while. On the downside he often plays out of control and tries to get too fancy.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 25th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Yale is beating them 9-0 so far

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 25th, 2015, 5:16 pm

I think we'll have spurts where we look good. I just think we'll be digging out of a hole before we adjust to what hit us

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 25th, 2015, 5:16 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Yale is beating them 9-0 so far

But Yale is good (sarcasm)

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 25th, 2015, 6:00 pm

I hope we can keep it to 15 points or something like 85 to 70/68. What I am afraid it is going to be is something like 95 to 57. I really hope not though. I hope we play within ourselves, do the best we can, and then let the chips fall.

But this is Duke we're talking about people. They have about 11 McDonalds all-Americans. Their worst player is as good as our best player. If they crush us I will not be too surprised.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 25th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Duke is up 38-36 over Yale at the half.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 25th, 2015, 6:10 pm

AggieAddict wrote:
SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:Duke is gonna blitz us from the start. Their pressure will force a billion turnovers
Big game for Rector. If he can stay under control and break the press we may fair decent, if not it will be a long night. On the upside we havent had a ball handler like rector in a while. On the downside he often plays out of control and tries to get too fancy.
I have heard how rector plays out of control a few times on here. Maybe it is my lack of b-ball IQ, but I don't see it as out of control play. When I think out of control I think of jojo. Rector has a lot of confidence, and to me it looks like the ball is just a part of him. He knows how to control the ball well and he has some amazing passes, sometimes the one receiving it doesn't see it coming, whether that is him trying to force things or the other guys lack of awareness(vision) I don't know. Anyway, I really like his style of play, and after watching Doc play last night I like rector even more.

Where only sage brush grows

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 25th, 2015, 6:13 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
AggieAddict wrote:
I have heard how rector plays out of control a few times on here. Maybe it is my lack of b-ball IQ, but I don't see it as out of control play. When I think out of control I think of jojo. Rector has a lot of confidence, and to me it looks like the ball is just a part of him. He knows how to control the ball well and he has some amazing passes, sometimes the one receiving it doesn't see it coming, whether that is him trying to force things or the other guys lack of awareness(vision) I don't know. Anyway, I really like his style of play, and after watching Doc play last night I like rector even more.
I think the fact that a number of his Layups have missed badly it makes him seem out of control. I think he handles the ball well (as long as the ref is lenient on the carries). He just needs to finish at the rim better

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » November 25th, 2015, 6:19 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
AggieAddict wrote:
Dont get me wrong i love having rector on this team. I'm certainly not saying he is a bad player at all, i think he is very good and something this team has been missing. However he can get himself into trouble at times and when playing a top notch team like duke he needs to be on top of every facet of his game. He will be the key to this game IMO.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 25th, 2015, 6:21 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
AggieAddict wrote:
Dribbling through 4 guys, between your legs, behind your back and then having it stolen is out of control. - see Weber State. He makes so many good plays that it is offset and you live with it.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm

dyedblue wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
AggieAddict wrote:
Dribbling through 4 guys, between your legs, behind your back and then having it stolen is out of control. - see Weber State. He makes so many good plays that it is offset and you live with it.
Sounds like we need hot rod to be the radio announcer :rock:

Where only sage brush grows

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 25th, 2015, 6:46 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
AggieAddict wrote:

No need for Hot Rod. Al has it covered because it probably looked like he got fouled in the back court and we don't really need to know more than that right?

Sounds like we need hot rod to be the radio announcer :rock:

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » November 25th, 2015, 6:56 pm

If we play zone and pack it in, we might keep it close. If we try to play man defense, we're screwed.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 25th, 2015, 7:00 pm

I am curious to see the 1-3-1 against Duke. We have been very good against athletic teams recently by using it for long stretches.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2015, 7:02 pm

dyedblue wrote: Dribbling through 4 guys, between your legs, behind your back and then having it stolen is out of control. - see Weber State. He makes so many good plays that it is offset and you live with it.
This is not out of control, it's trying to do too much by yourself. The two aren't the same thing. But I do agree that he tries to do too much by himself.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 25th, 2015, 7:06 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:

Yale is good. They're picked to win their league and weren't very big underdogs tonight.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 25th, 2015, 7:34 pm

If we do what Yale did tonight, then the people with 9 to 12 or 9:30 to 12:30 church with Sacrament first would get pretty excited during Sunday School, then not nearly be as happy during Priesthood or Relief Society. And those who go 11 to 2 with Sacrament first would be excited when the meeting starts, then not nearly as happy later on in the meeting.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 25th, 2015, 8:42 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:

They don't stink.
http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » November 25th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Now. Get this straight. Treesap and I are going. Booked the day after I saw rector in pick up Estes center game
We are going there to WIN! Of course I know we are playing a great team
But win or lose, can't miss this. We watch USU byu football. Fly out around midnight layovers etc could wreck us w holiday travel. We have great tix. 5 rows behind bench. Just sayin. I think we get in foul troble

Quelch

GFA Factor

Post by Quelch » November 25th, 2015, 9:52 pm

GFA, what did you tell me the Aggies record is while you are attending games? Is Away Basketball better than Away Football different when you are attending?

GameFAQSAggie

Re: GFA Factor

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 25th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Quelch wrote:GFA, what did you tell me the Aggies record is while you are attending games? Is Away Basketball better than Away Football different when you are attending?
Right now, my total record for basketball is 235-48. And my away basketball record is better than my away football record.

Quelch

Re: GFA Factor

Post by Quelch » November 25th, 2015, 10:30 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Quelch wrote:GFA, what did you tell me the Aggies record is while you are attending games? Is Away Basketball better than Away Football different when you are attending?
Right now, my total record for basketball is 235-48. And my away basketball record is better than my away football record.
What is your away Basketball Record?

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » November 26th, 2015, 12:20 am

Ok. If USU wins over Duke. ( not likely) I will give everyone on this thread a gift worth a small fortune. It will be picture of our huge celebration dinner. Oh if we lose we will still enjoy a great dinner :pirate:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 26th, 2015, 9:00 am

Did it seem like we purposely didn't run the 1-3-1 zone much at all against UVU?

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » November 26th, 2015, 10:32 am

MrBiggle wrote: I have heard how rector plays out of control a few times on here. Maybe it is my lack of b-ball IQ, but I don't see it as out of control play. When I think out of control I think of jojo. Rector has a lot of confidence, and to me it looks like the ball is just a part of him. He knows how to control the ball well and he has some amazing passes, sometimes the one receiving it doesn't see it coming, whether that is him trying to force things or the other guys lack of awareness(vision) I don't know. Anyway, I really like his style of play, and after watching Doc play last night I like rector even more.
In this vein, I am more in the camp that Rector is still adjusting to D-i (again). He is a very talented ball player, and I suspect that if he can blow by D-I players as he has at Weber and against UVU, he was probably totally dominant while playing in JC. Even though he only played one year of JC, I think he learned to trust himself as the first option in many games. Now that he is surrounded by D-I players, he will take some time to adjust. He has only played 6 games so far. I think Quayle (one barometer of a great Aggie PG) didn't start until his sixth official game. He was adjusting.

One thing that Rector does that I don't think I have seen is the floating assist. Following the pattern of the drive and dish, he drives and then softly floats it over the help defense to (usually) a big man who is open for a layup. He has also done the drive and dish, but having both is only going to help as things move ahead.

At his first luncheon, Duryea was somewhat cautionary about trying to paint Rector into a box of expectations. He said that Rector plays in the box of New York City style. It's different, but still good.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 26th, 2015, 11:01 am

He has the lob to jalen working. Nice to see that play again

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 26th, 2015, 11:37 am

buckfever wrote:Ok. If USU wins over Duke. ( not likely) I will give everyone on this thread a gift worth a small fortune. It will be picture of our huge celebration dinner. Oh if we lose we will still enjoy a great dinner :pirate:
Posted. I want some off that action.

With that said, USU has a ways to go. We're soft right now. However, there's talent there. We'll get better as the season progresses. In the end, Duke is too much. Duke by 14.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 26th, 2015, 11:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Did it seem like we purposely didn't run the 1-3-1 zone much at all against UVU?
I admittedly did not watch our scrimmage against UVU but there would be no need for the 1-3-1 against them. We used it a lot against SDSU, UNLV, and Boise. We used it a fair amount against Weber with great results.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 26th, 2015, 11:49 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
You didn't even look that up, you just know don't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 26th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Biggest key to the game for me keeping our bigs out of foul trouble. It's no coincidence that this year Collette has managed to keep from fouling out of a single game and we are 4-0. Last year he had at least 3 or 4 games I can think of where he committed an absolutely moronic 4th or 5th foul at critical moments that really put the team in a bind. He would essentially be taking himself out of the game. He seems to have corrected this behavior by developing his basketball IQ in the off season. I worry that his points and rebounding also seem to have dropped off though. Maybe he's hitting the weight room too hard the day before games? That sometimes can affect shooters.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 26th, 2015, 7:44 pm

I think we are going to get worked by Duke. And we will miss having Benedict. However, I hope TD keeps scheduling these kind of games and that fans are cool with getting beat up a bit. It is the only way to get better.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » November 27th, 2015, 12:42 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:Biggest key to the game for me keeping our bigs out of foul trouble. It's no coincidence that this year Collette has managed to keep from fouling out of a single game and we are 4-0. Last year he had at least 3 or 4 games I can think of where he committed an absolutely moronic 4th or 5th foul at critical moments that really put the team in a bind. He would essentially be taking himself out of the game. He seems to have corrected this behavior by developing his basketball IQ in the off season. I worry that his points and rebounding also seem to have dropped off though. Maybe he's hitting the weight room too hard the day before games? That sometimes can affect shooters.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Locked Previous topicNext topic