Will this hurt us or help us?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Chupamedia

Will this hurt us or help us?

Post by Chupamedia » November 29th, 2015, 12:27 pm

I was excited to see us play Duke at Duke without having to require a home and home. I had always wished Stew would do that type of thing. Now I'm wondering if this game will help us or not. Had we kept it within 10-15 I think we could walk away saying, "if we could have been better at the 3 or calm down and execute better we had a shot". With this result however it is obvious we had no shot at winning. So how do we respond? Do we loose all confidence and go on a 4 game losing streak or does it make us better? Was Stew right not to schedule these games because he knew we couldn't compete and at least we kept our confidence in conference and didn't realize the gap in talent until post season? I don't know which is better, I guess the next couple of weeks will be telling.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Will this hurt us or help us?

Post by ProvoAggie » November 29th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Well our RPI is up to 44 now so there's that...

freakboy

Post by freakboy » November 29th, 2015, 12:36 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:Well our RPI is up to 44 now so there's that...
Ha ha. We moved up 3 spots.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 29th, 2015, 12:44 pm

I can understand why some would say we didn't have a chance. But let's look at this... Our field goal % was 33.3%, our 3 point % was 25%, we matched them for free throws except they had 8 more shoots then we had. We got creamed on rebounds and only had 6 assists. Now I am in no way saying we should have won, but we could have at least kept it manageable had we shot better ( which would likely raise the assist number).

Where only sage brush grows

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » November 29th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Good question. Im going to say it hurts us. I cant help but wonder if this will hurt recruiting significantly as well.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » November 29th, 2015, 1:36 pm

MrBiggle wrote:I can understand why some would say we didn't have a chance. But let's look at this... Our field goal % was 33.3%, our 3 point % was 25%, we matched them for free throws except they had 8 more shoots then we had. We got creamed on rebounds and only had 6 assists. Now I am in no way saying we should have won, but we could have at least kept it manageable had we shot better ( which would likely raise the assist number).
You realise that this is exactly the same as saying "If we were better, we could have kept this more manageable" right? Low shot percentage is a result of a stifling, more athletic defense that doesn't let you get good shots or looks at the basket.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

usu99

Post by usu99 » November 29th, 2015, 2:15 pm

We missed a ton of open shots. This is a POOR shooting team and rebounding as well still.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 29th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Will it hurt or help?

Well it the depends on how the players and the coach reacts. If their attitude is "relax, it's Duke. One of the top 5 teams in the country". Then it hurts. Might as well stayed home blackfriday shopping.

If they feel embarased and realize that need to get better\tougher and play with pride well then maybe it helps.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » November 29th, 2015, 4:20 pm

My thoughts, which way be worthless to everyone else here, is we need to play more of these games in the future in order to prep our team for what it would be like during March Madness once we get to the tourney again.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

corio

Post by corio » November 29th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Dwigt wrote:My thoughts, which way be worthless to everyone else here, is we need to play more of these games in the future in order to prep our team for what it would be like during March Madness once we get to the tourney again.
+1 We raise the intensity of the opponent and the players hopefully rise to it. It's a work in progress but I think it's worth a couple big losses to big teams.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 29th, 2015, 7:20 pm

What helps us more for preparing for the MWC? I'd rather a reality check now and not during conference play

FuzzyDunlop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FuzzyDunlop » November 29th, 2015, 7:39 pm

You don't get better by making things easy on yourself. You don't get better by playing Adams State, Union, and UVU. You get better by playing teams like Duke. And if players you're recruiting are intimidated by a tough schedule, then you don't want them. You want players who want to play the best competition possible.

Locked Previous topicNext topic