Holy Names.......!?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Holy Names.......!?

Post by troutputz » November 30th, 2015, 11:00 pm

Nevada/Reno just played Holy Names in Basketball 107 to 57 for Nevada, something like that? First time I have ever heard of a team called Holy Names....If you want to know why NCAA basketball has lost a lot of its interest and pizzazz , just look at Nevada playing this school. Or the Ags playing Union and so on from once main Division I NCAA basketball. In the 60's 70's and 80's, schools like USU, Nevada, New Mexico, BYU, Utah, Duke would not be got dead playing the likes of Holy Names.......Sure it makes Holy Names feel special to play in games such as these. But, it makes the Div.I schools look like idiots for even playing these schools.
Note to Duke and other top programs, quit playing the Sister Naomi schools of the poor! Get legitimate again. Holy names, play schools that are in your category. Dukes and USU's of the World don't play these Sisters of the poor schools, it makes you look cheap, and people lose interest in Basketball because of this!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Re: Holy Names.......!?

Post by trevordude » December 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm

I agree 100%. Couldn't we at least play WCC or Big Sky pushovers? Idaho St. or Montana St or something? Who is in charge of filling the schedule and thinks a couple of D 2 schools is a good idea? Lame

Not sent from Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 1st, 2015, 5:34 pm

The Union game was scheduled as a favor to Matt Wells. Duryea also mentioned in one of his press conferences that the Mountain West asked us to schedule D2 and D3 schools over lower tier D1 teams. A D1 team with an RPI of 300 destroys your RPI...playing a D2 or D3 team can get you a similar skill level and it doesn't affect RPI at all.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » December 1st, 2015, 8:35 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:The Union game was scheduled as a favor to Matt Wells. Duryea also mentioned in one of his press conferences that the Mountain West asked us to schedule D2 and D3 schools over lower tier D1 teams. A D1 team with an RPI of 300 destroys your RPI...playing a D2 or D3 team can get you a similar skill level and it doesn't affect RPI at all.
This is not new information, but it needs to be repeated. A win over Idaho State does nothing to help perception of the team, but it is a dagger to your RPI and SOS. A win over Union does nothing to help perception of the team but had no impact on (most) RPI and SOS calculations.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 1st, 2015, 8:51 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:The Union game was scheduled as a favor to Matt Wells. Duryea also mentioned in one of his press conferences that the Mountain West asked us to schedule D2 and D3 schools over lower tier D1 teams. A D1 team with an RPI of 300 destroys your RPI...playing a D2 or D3 team can get you a similar skill level and it doesn't affect RPI at all.
This is not new information, but it needs to be repeated. A win over Idaho State does nothing to help perception of the team, but it is a dagger to your RPI and SOS. A win over Union does nothing to help perception of the team but had no impact on (most) RPI and SOS calculations.
But what if you want to be miserable and complain about everything?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 1st, 2015, 8:52 pm

Donman wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
Then you are probably a byu fan...

Donman

Post by Donman » December 1st, 2015, 8:55 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
Donman wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
Then you are probably a byu fan...
True. The reason this board feels like Cougar Board half the time.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 1st, 2015, 9:16 pm

Therefore, losing to them isn't such a deal breaker either, as it would seem. In all, it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2015, 10:23 pm

Donman wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
Or in your case, complain about everyone complaining. Almost every one of your posts is (I can't express myself without swearing) that people aren't positive enough for your liking.

I don't understand why you let it bother you so much. It's a message board. Relax.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » December 2nd, 2015, 10:01 am

Turned out to be a scheduling thread, but the title had me expecting a scouting report on Mo St forward Obediah Church.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 2nd, 2015, 10:31 am

I'll bring the thread back to Holy Names.

This is a small Catholic school in the Oakland hills. I believe it is a fairly new school -- they are trying to build an athletic department. My son had a girlfriend that received a golf scholarship to the school. She said that there were 7 golfers on the team and it seemed the only requirement for being on the golf team was that you could hold a club. They were recruiting random students just to fill spots on the team. She suspected her golf coach was homeless because he had a truck full of clothes and dishes and things that you normally wouldn't carry around every day in a pickup. He would spend a lot of time at the school and shower there. Midway through the season he just disappeared and nobody ever heard from him again. The golfers were just left hanging without a coach and didn't know if they were still supposed to go to tournaments.

Kind of a funny situation.

So, yeah, Holy Names may not be the best opponent to schedule - especially for the USU golf team.

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 2nd, 2015, 10:34 am

Yossarian wrote:I'll bring the thread back to Holy Names.

This is a small Catholic school in the Oakland hills. I believe it is a fairly new school -- they are trying to build an athletic department. My son had a girlfriend that received a golf scholarship to the school. She said that there were 7 golfers on the team and it seemed the only requirement for being on the golf team was that you could hold a club. They were recruiting random students just to fill spots on the team. She suspected her golf coach was homeless because he had a truck full of clothes and dishes and things that you normally wouldn't carry around every day in a pickup. He would spend a lot of time at the school and shower there. Midway through the season he just disappeared and nobody ever heard from him again. The golfers were just left hanging without a coach and didn't know if they were still supposed to go to tournaments.

Kind of a funny situation.

So, yeah, Holy Names may not be the best opponent to schedule - especially for the USU golf team.
I'm sending them a scholarship application right now.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 2nd, 2015, 10:54 am

2004AG wrote:
Donman wrote:
SectionBAggie wrote:
Or in your case, complain about everyone complaining. Almost every one of your posts is (I can't express myself without swearing) that people aren't positive enough for your liking.

I don't understand why you let it bother you so much. It's a message board. Relax.

My real gripe though is people (I can't express myself without swearing) about people who (I can't express myself without swearing) about people (I can't express myself without swearing).

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Locked Previous topicNext topic