BSU game

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utaggies

BSU game

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

There will be nothing that will inject some enthusiasm into Aggie basketball than a win on the road against BSU. Let's keep it up boys and take the game to the Broncos!

Woot, woot! 11 point Aggie lead!

utaggies

Re: BSU game

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2016, 7:44 pm

BSU has nearly as many offensive rebounds as we've got total rebounds. My how I hate seeing a stat like that.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 2nd, 2016, 8:55 pm

Too bad. Another poor second half costs us.

El Jefe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by El Jefe » February 2nd, 2016, 8:56 pm

I take full responsibility. They had the lead until I turned on the game with 2 minutes left. Aaaarrggghhh!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » February 2nd, 2016, 8:57 pm

One more rebound and we likely win. Do we really not teach our players to put their hands up when we guard? At least twice Webb went to the basket and Lew and Jalen didn't even put a hand up. Choked away another.. Wow.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2016, 9:04 pm

17 BSU offensive rebounds, get out-rebounded by 17 and Jalen has only 2. Just wow. :bangwall: BSU's largest lead was the margine at the end of the game.

I wish we'd put a shock collar on Jalen to restrict him from shooting three pointers.

On a positive note, Jones didn't miss any FTs.
Last edited by utaggies on February 2nd, 2016, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » February 2nd, 2016, 9:08 pm

utaggies wrote:17 BSU offensive rebounds. Just wow. BSU's largest lead was the margine at the end of the game.

I wish we'd put a shock collar on Jalen to restrict him from shooting three pointers.

Is it his career 40% 3pt shooting or the fact that he shot over 60% against Nevada last game that makes you think that?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 2nd, 2016, 9:13 pm

Gretsch wrote:
utaggies wrote:17 BSU offensive rebounds. Just wow. BSU's largest lead was the margine at the end of the game.

Is it his career 40% 3pt shooting or the fact that he shot over 60% against Nevada last game that makes you think that?
Neither, it's that he doesn't play inside enough thereby not having a chance to get offensive rebounds or create a post presence for easier baskets. I thought that Jalen would develop into a player like Webb for Boise -- too bad but Webb is clearly the better player, but Jalen may have more talent, just not as much intensity or toughness.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » February 2nd, 2016, 9:17 pm

Really getting tired of Rector trying to be the man at the end of games. Then he gets an un contested layup ( unlike many other ends of games) and he misses it. So hard to watch. My 8 yeAr old asked why we shot so many threes.

coolag

Post by coolag » February 2nd, 2016, 9:17 pm

Jalen is not a banger never will be. Soft as a pillow.

Regulator of Class

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2016, 9:28 pm

kofdog wrote:Really getting tired of Rector trying to be the man at the end of games. Then he gets an un contested layup ( unlike many other ends of games) and he misses it. So hard to watch. My 8 yeAr old asked why we shot so many threes.
I thought it was uncontested at first too but the one angle shows that the Boise guy got his arm pretty good. Here is a screen grab but the video shows that it wasn't just a brush. He got him good.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 2nd, 2016, 9:30 pm

kofdog wrote:Really getting tired of Rector trying to be the man at the end of games. Then he gets an un contested layup ( unlike many other ends of games) and he misses it. So hard to watch. My 8 yeAr old asked why we shot so many threes.
Rector got raked across the arm on the layup attempt. I don't blame him for being the one guy out there that wanted to win. This team is so weak - mentally and physically. They got manhandled by the Boise press in the second half and looked completely unprepared to deal with it.

Eutaw St. Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 2nd, 2016, 9:31 pm

The replay showed Rector clearly got fouled on that last layup. The guy yanked right on his forearm and that's why Rector threw his hands up in protest. It was a great drive by Shane and he should have been shooting free throws for a chance to tie. Rebounding wasn't great but overall I was pleased with the effort and confidence shown by our boys in the road.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 2nd, 2016, 9:35 pm

Gretsch wrote:

No, it's neither of those. It's because of two other reasons: 1) of the 8 players on the team that are averaging over 10 minutes per game, Jalen's 3-point percentage is worse than everyone's, with the exception of Jones who has not yet taken a 3-point shot this year; and 2) in taking 3-pointers and generally playing outside he takes himself away from the basket and generally out of the equation for rebounds. His 2 rebounds against BSU tonight, for the tallest guy on our team, is ridiculous.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » February 2nd, 2016, 9:38 pm

Aggies shot 50% overall and 12 of 22 from deep to their 43% overall and 5 of 23 from 3. Strange and incredibly frustrating that we would lose a game with those numbers.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 2nd, 2016, 9:39 pm

Alright, time for a math lesson. We score 36 points on 22 shots from three. That is better than 1.5 points per shot which is outstanding. We scored 26 points on 28 shots from two land which is a pedestrian 1 point per shot. Statistically we were way better off shooting the three than the two.

Rector got as good of a look as you will ever see, he got fouled and therefore missed the shot. Great effort by him to take it to the rim. I'll take that shot every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Now if you want to talk about matador defense and shot clock violations then fire away.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 2nd, 2016, 9:50 pm

Gretsch wrote:

Career 36% rounds up to 40%. For me, it's a matter of his digression from 39.1% and 38.9% his first 2 seasons to 32% this season. Moore should shoot 2-3 fewer 3's per game especially when you have the option to use Chris Smith who shoots at 48.6%.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » February 2nd, 2016, 9:52 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:Aggies shot 50% overall and 12 of 22 from deep to their 43% overall and 5 of 23 from 3. Strange and incredibly frustrating that we would lose a game with those numbers.
Not only that, but Boise only shot 5/23 (22%) from 3. The problem was that Boise just dominated the boards. Doesn't matter how high of a % you shoot when they have that many more possessions.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » February 2nd, 2016, 10:16 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
Gretsch wrote:

Career 36% rounds up to 40%. For me, it's a matter of his digression from 39.1% and 38.9% his first 2 seasons to 32% this season. Moore should shoot 2-3 fewer 3's per game especially when you have the option to use Chris Smith who shoots at 48.6%.
Sorry, my stats were from a few games back and he was 38%. We shouldn't stop Jalen from shooting threes we should find a way to get him the ball inside. For the first half of this game we passed the ball down low very well. In the second half we only passed on the perimeter

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 2nd, 2016, 10:41 pm

Gretsch wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Gretsch wrote:

Sorry, my stats were from a few games back and he was 38%. We shouldn't stop Jalen from shooting threes we should find a way to get him the ball inside. For the first half of this game we passed the ball down low very well. In the second half we only passed on the perimeter

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Moore is shooting 32.6% from three this year. Which means he is scoring 1 point per shot taken from three. He is shooting 49% from two making it a complete wash. If Moore shoots 40% like we all wish he did he would be a much better candidate to launch threes. Moore is a great mid range shooter, I wish he was an inside threat but that is just not his game.

Chris Smith is scoring 1.2 points per three attempt, and 1.0 from two. Statistically he should keep shooting threes.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 2nd, 2016, 11:37 pm

USUBlue wrote:
Gretsch wrote:

Neither, it's that he doesn't play inside enough thereby not having a chance to get offensive rebounds or create a post presence for easier baskets. I thought that Jalen would develop into a player like Webb for Boise -- too bad but Webb is clearly the better player, but Jalen may have more talent, just not as much intensity or toughness.
Webb is 2 inches taller and is more of a post player. Different players. If anything, I wish Jalen had developed his quickness to play the 3, granted this year it wouldn't matter because we don't have anyone else really to play the 4 or 5 besides Evans and Jones. We were a much better rebounding team with Grayson on the floor playing the 3.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 2nd, 2016, 11:41 pm

Boise missed 18 3's and 39 shots total tonight...that's going to lead to some offensive rebounds against anyone, but especially against us and our lack of bigs.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 3rd, 2016, 8:55 am

Have we had *anyone* foul out yet this year?

This team is as soft as water. Would it be too much to ask to have Jones intentionally drop the gloves to light a fire under our guys? Oh...wrong sport.

dogie

Post by dogie » February 3rd, 2016, 9:01 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Boise missed 18 3's and 39 shots total tonight...that's going to lead to some offensive rebounds against anyone, but especially against us and our lack of bigs.
While that is true, it should lead to even more defensive rebounds for USU. an opponent's poor shooting percentage isn't an explanation for being out-rebounded. In fact, it makes it harder to excuse.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 3rd, 2016, 9:05 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:Have we had *anyone* foul out yet this year?

This team is as soft as water. Would it be too much to ask to have Jones intentionally drop the gloves to light a fire under our guys? Oh...wrong sport.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 3rd, 2016, 9:13 am

brownjeans wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:Have we had *anyone* foul out yet this year?

:golfclap: Well played.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 3rd, 2016, 2:15 pm

Here's the problem. We're just not good enough, guys. We have players playing out of position (Jalen), we have way too many outside shooters, we don't have any kind of inside presence. NONE. And the guys we have don't have a clue how to play inside.

You add it up and this is a team that is just good enough to look great, but not good enough to finish the job. This is a .500 team. That's the long and short of it.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 3rd, 2016, 2:52 pm

AggiesForever wrote:Here's the problem. We're just not good enough, guys. We have players playing out of position (Jalen), we have way too many outside shooters, we don't have any kind of inside presence. NONE. And the guys we have don't have a clue how to play inside.

You add it up and this is a team that is just good enough to look great, but not good enough to finish the job. This is a .500 team. That's the long and short of it.

I keep reading that Jalen is playing out of position on this board a lot. I don' t mean to single you out specifically but this is as good of a place as any. So,.....

What position should Jalen be playing? In Stew's offense, Chaz Spicer played the 4. He was every bit as slender as Moore and maybe only an inch or so taller. He played the 4 and could step out and hit from the outside. Granted, he was not as good off the dribble as Moore is, but that's where he played and he did very well at that position. Moore plays essentially the same position in this offense. He plays the perimeter and adds another dimension with his ability to dribble.

If you think Moore should be playing the three - I question that. He has no ability to defend the three on defense (and, granted, he gets pushed around in the post by bigger 4's as well). I would say he would be just as out of position at the 3 as he is at the 4.

Eutaw St. Aggie

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 3rd, 2016, 3:58 pm

We lost to a team we should have lost to, but BSU sucked last night and we should have won. I never played beyond intramurals, but man, someone needs to step up and make a foul really count. Take off some arms as they drive by you a dunk or something. Go up with both hands and collide and make them at least think you may try to stop them. I did see Jalen push Duncan Donuts arm away once. He was really showing who is boss.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 3rd, 2016, 4:09 pm

dogie wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:Boise missed 18 3's and 39 shots total tonight...that's going to lead to some offensive rebounds against anyone, but especially against us and our lack of bigs.
While that is true, it should lead to even more defensive rebounds for USU. an opponent's poor shooting percentage isn't an explanation for being out-rebounded. In fact, it makes it harder to excuse.
Missed 3's, especially the way Boise was missing them (long rebounds while we are in a zone defense), often lead to offensive rebounds. You hope to limit them, but they'll happen more often.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 3rd, 2016, 4:28 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
dogie wrote:
Missed 3's, especially the way Boise was missing them (long rebounds while we are in a zone defense), often lead to offensive rebounds. You hope to limit them, but they'll happen more often.
Not trying to be disagreeable, but teams that hustle get offensive rebounds, teams that don't . . well don't. We take a lot of threes also, but because no one crashes the boards, we still don't get many offensive rebounds. Rebounding is more about effort and position than what kind of shot is missed.

Locked Previous topicNext topic