Gameday shirt idea

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
It'sSaturdayNight
Has thanked: 0

Gameday shirt idea

Post by It'sSaturdayNight » March 15th, 2016, 9:53 am

The new shirts might already be designed, but I thought this would be a good idea for the future. What if they did an Aggie Legends series of gameday shirts? Like four or five of them? They could all be the same on the front, but on the back feature the last name of an Aggie legend coupled with the players number. You could choose between your Merlin Olsen No. 71 shirt or a Wayne Estes No. 33. or whoever else was chosen.

I think it would get students and fans asking questions about who the players were and educate the fan base that way while honoring the past. What do you guys think? Who would you like to see represented?

ratofallaggies

Re: Gameday shirt idea

Post by ratofallaggies » March 15th, 2016, 9:58 am

Good idea. I'd love to design a gameday shirt.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 15th, 2016, 10:40 am

Great idea!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » March 15th, 2016, 11:41 am

I would definitely buy one for each player they did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

berryblonde

Post by berryblonde » March 15th, 2016, 12:11 pm

I would fully support this shirt idea.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 15th, 2016, 12:54 pm

It'sSaturdayNight wrote:The new shirts might already be designed, but I thought this would be a good idea for the future. What if they did an Aggie Legends series of gameday shirts? Like four or five of them? They could all be the same on the front, but on the back feature the last name of an Aggie legend coupled with the players number. You could choose between your Merlin Olsen No. 71 shirt or a Wayne Estes No. 33. or whoever else was chosen.

I think it would get students and fans asking questions about who the players were and educate the fan base that way while honoring the past. What do you guys think? Who would you like to see represented?
Merlin Olsen
Phil Olsen
Cornell Green
Louie Giammona
Tony Adams
Bobby Wagner

Nobody here knows anything.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » March 15th, 2016, 1:01 pm

OKAg's list plus
Anthony Calvillo

providencealum

Post by providencealum » March 15th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Louie Agular...punters are people too

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 15th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Jermaine Younger
JohnDale Carty
Demario Brown
Emmitt White

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Is it just football?
If not I'd add a basketball series with:
Estes
Grant
Roberts
Nate _____ (name escapes me)
Carroll
Nelson (I can guarantee 40 shirts at this very moment)
Stew

austingalb

Post by austingalb » March 15th, 2016, 3:33 pm

The school needs to do something to commemorate our 2000-2001 basketball squad if your thinking of making Aggie Legends jersey t-shirts. Our starting 5 from the '01 squad was so dope.

#10 - Bernard Rock
#31 - "Downtown" Tony Brown
#22 - Curtis Bobb
#5 - Shawn Daniels
#14 - Dimtri Jorssen

I'd buy all five of those shirts in a heart beat.

Aggieblue1

Post by Aggieblue1 » March 15th, 2016, 3:50 pm

The Name was Nate Williams the last Aggie to play in the NBA

austingalb

Post by austingalb » March 15th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Desmond Penigar had a cup of coffee with the Orlando Magic in 2004. I think he had a ten day contract.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... gde01.html

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 15th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Aggieblue1 wrote:The Name was Nate Williams the last Aggie to play in the NBA
Ahh, thanks! That was bugging me.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 15th, 2016, 6:00 pm

I'd nominate three older Aggie greats:
Ralph Maughan, four year letterman in football, three year letterman in track and baseball. Three time first team all conference in football. RMAC conference champion in hammer, discus, shot, and javelin. NFL player. World War II hero (bazooka man at the battle of the bulge). Just possibly the greatest all around athlete to ever pull on the navy blue and white http://www.utahstateaggies.com/genrel/070506aab.html

*Cornell Green, star basketball player, who went on to be a starting defensive back with the Dallas Cowboys, without ever playing college football.
L. Jay Silvester, four time Olympian and silver medalist in the discus. Holder of four discus world records. Felt by many to be the father of the modern discus throwing form.

*Sorry, I see that OKAggie had already nominated Cornell Green. Quick anecdote. During Cornell's senior year, the athletic department tried to put together a baseball team. They held try-outs. Knowing he was a great athlete, someone asked Cornell if he could play baseball. Allegedly, he said "Pumpsie plays baseball, and I can do anything better than Pumpsie." Pumpsie Green was Cornell's older brother. He played shortstop for the Red Sox, and later for the Mets. Cornell played for the USU team. The story, as told to me, was that he hit somewhere north of .300.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 15th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Jim Turner 3 FGs in Super Bowl III

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 15th, 2016, 10:18 pm

I like it. Make a couple super rare. It'll be like a charzard

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 16th, 2016, 9:46 am

Other possibilities:
Kevin Curtis
Greg Kragen
Eric Hipple
Rulon Jones
Al Smith

There are a few more recent players but it is too soon to put them on.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 16th, 2016, 10:21 am

c'mon man! It's okay, i guess it is fitting that I say it.... Chris Cooley!!!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 16th, 2016, 10:32 am

I think this is an awesome idea - Aggie legends keep the tradition alive. I would like to see older and newer players. I saw Wagner but has anyone mentioned Turbo yet? He should get a shirt based on his biceps alone

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 16th, 2016, 10:54 am

Shaler Halimon

I'd probably go with:

Football:
Olsen (hall of fame)
Jones (multiple time pro-bowler, long NFL career)
Calvillo (most passing yards of any professional qb)
Wagner (multiple time all-pro, pro-bowler, superbowl champion)
Cooley (NFL pro-bowler)

Basketball:
Estes (All american, greatest ever)
Green (all american in bball, NBA draftee) (multiple time all-pro in football)
Williams (all american and long NBA career)
Halimon (all american and NBA career)
Carroll (all american honorable mention (2x), WAC POY, and all-time leader in eleven different categories including scoring)

It's really hard to keep the basketball list down to 5... If you created more than 5 you'd probably want to include Roberts and Grant as #6 and #7. I'm sure others would argue them above Carroll. I'd like to see Nate Harris and Tai Wesley shirts as well... just so many to choose from.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 16th, 2016, 10:56 am

Jace McCormick

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 16th, 2016, 11:03 am

Chupamedia wrote:I think this is an awesome idea - Aggie legends keep the tradition alive. I would like to see older and newer players. I saw Wagner but has anyone mentioned Turbo yet? He should get a shirt based on his biceps alone
His shirt should have extra large sleeves. :lol:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 16th, 2016, 11:16 am

LKGates wrote:
Chupamedia wrote:I think this is an awesome idea - Aggie legends keep the tradition alive. I would like to see older and newer players. I saw Wagner but has anyone mentioned Turbo yet? He should get a shirt based on his biceps alone
His shirt should have extra large sleeves. :lol:
The Turbin shirt:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I don't think too many is a good idea though- what would sell? I really hope this doesn't come across as a "negative nancy" but... what are the business aspects. I say this because I guarantee someone at the bookstore or in the AD who makes these decisions, if they haven't already seen this thread will have by the end of the week... unless there are legal issues such as the NFLPA I think it's plausible.

I strongly suggest sticking only to the following:

Football: Merlin Olsen and Bobby Wagner.

Basketball: Wayne Estes and Jaycee Carroll.

No more than that.

If we print a ton of Anthony Calvillo shirts I can see them sitting in inventory for a long time, and then the bookstore selling them for $2 a pop. (A screw it, at least it's Aggie gear price)

A lot of people on this board would buy a Cornell Green shirt today if it were available- but in terms of mass appeal I think most fans younger fans would prefer to wear the shirt of someone they have heard of- even if they barely know anything about basketball. I bet most students know who Wayne Estes or Merlin Olsen are I don't think most know who a large portion of the others are.

Merlin Olsen and Wayne Estes would be strong players for the nostalgia factor because older fans want to reminisce and younger fans wish they could have seen Wayne Estes play.

Wagner and Carroll would be good choices because they are recent players that are also widely liked.

Anyway, I think those 4 would be the big sellers (and even then spreading the 4 out over 2 years isn't a bad idea; year 1 sell Estes and Wagner, year 2 sell Carroll and Olsen)

Also, if the tag/packaging had information about the player that would be good. (like facts most people do not know).

It may also be cost preventative to have as a "Gameday shirt"... It may not be that much more to change the screen on the back; I just don't know what order size the printer would demand or if it would significantly impact the price (because you cut one ginormous order into 4 very large orders)

AggieFirefighter

Post by AggieFirefighter » March 16th, 2016, 12:48 pm

If I had to choose I'd go with Saps list, I don't think you want to print too many names but I'd definitely purchase a shirt of each player.. I know I'd certainly purchase a Green shirt..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 16th, 2016, 1:02 pm

AggieFirefighter wrote:If I had to choose I'd go with Saps list, I don't think you want to print too many names but I'd definitely purchase a shirt of each player.. I know I'd certainly purchase a Green shirt..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
A Green shirt in Aggie Blue would look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » March 16th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I don't think too many is a good idea though- what would sell? I really hope this doesn't come across as a "negative nancy" but... what are the business aspects. I say this because I guarantee someone at the bookstore or in the AD who makes these decisions, if they haven't already seen this thread will have by the end of the week... unless there are legal issues such as the NFLPA I think it's plausible.

No more than that.

If we print a ton of Anthony Calvillo shirts I can see them sitting in inventory for a long time, and then the bookstore selling them for $2 a pop. (A screw it, at least it's Aggie gear price)

A lot of people on this board would buy a Cornell Green shirt today if it were available- but in terms of mass appeal I think most fans younger fans would prefer to wear the shirt of someone they have heard of- even if they barely know anything about basketball. I bet most students know who Wayne Estes or Merlin Olsen are I don't think most know who a large portion of the others are.

Merlin Olsen and Wayne Estes would be strong players for the nostalgia factor because older fans want to reminisce and younger fans wish they could have seen Wayne Estes play.

Wagner and Carroll would be good choices because they are recent players that are also widely liked.

Anyway, I think those 4 would be the big sellers (and even then spreading the 4 out over 2 years isn't a bad idea; year 1 sell Estes and Wagner, year 2 sell Carroll and Olsen)

Also, if the tag/packaging had information about the player that would be good. (like facts most people do not know).

It may also be cost preventative to have as a "Gameday shirt"... It may not be that much more to change the screen on the back; I just don't know what order size the printer would demand or if it would significantly impact the price (because you cut one ginormous order into 4 very large orders)

I agree with this... As much as I would love a Cooley shirt, I can see that not everyone would. Even still the four you mentioned here are basically must haves for any Aggie fan.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 16th, 2016, 2:33 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Jace McCormick
If we are making t-shirts for starters turned quitters perhaps.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 16th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Gameday shirts will sell because they are cheap Aggie shirts - they will sell even if they put Mary Lou Ramm Flippen (softball player in the Aggie hall of fame) on the back.

We shouldn't do a bunch of legends in one year, just one legend each year to honor that legend for the entire year. Then we can rotate them.

I love the idea of putting a name and number on the back to honor former Aggies.
Last edited by brownjeans on March 16th, 2016, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 16th, 2016, 3:23 pm

I think you make a legacy football game day shirt with a few players names throughout (it's not going to look like a jersey anyway) and a basketball with a few. That shows a tradition and gets maybe 8-12 athletes named

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 16th, 2016, 3:23 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:I don't think too many is a good idea though- what would sell? I really hope this doesn't come across as a "negative nancy" but... what are the business aspects. I say this because I guarantee someone at the bookstore or in the AD who makes these decisions, if they haven't already seen this thread will have by the end of the week... unless there are legal issues such as the NFLPA I think it's plausible.

No more than that.

I agree with this... As much as I would love a Cooley shirt, I can see that not everyone would. Even still the four you mentioned here are basically must haves for any Aggie fan.
Much as I would like to see a series commemorating multiple historic Aggie greats, as a practical matter, I think this is the best suggestion.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 16th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Furthermore, we might find that there are some who feel the need to get all of the shirts as a collectible thing.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 16th, 2016, 6:22 pm

OKAggie wrote:
It'sSaturdayNight wrote:The new shirts might already be designed, but I thought this would be a good idea for the future. What if they did an Aggie Legends series of gameday shirts? Like four or five of them? They could all be the same on the front, but on the back feature the last name of an Aggie legend coupled with the players number. You could choose between your Merlin Olsen No. 71 shirt or a Wayne Estes No. 33. or whoever else was chosen.

Merlin Olsen
Phil Olsen
Cornell Green
Louie Giammona
Tony Adams
Bobby Wagner
I was thinking more along the lines of:

James Walker III
Quincy Bair
Lya Wodraska
Harry Reid
Hayden Weichers

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 16th, 2016, 6:52 pm

There has to be some way a Collette shirt could be made. Just can't think of anything real creative this minute, but I know someone can

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Locked Previous topicNext topic