the question you all are dying to ask

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sammyhagar

the question you all are dying to ask

Post by sammyhagar » August 9th, 2016, 10:45 am

did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:

I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags

Maverik_Aggie

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 10:50 am

sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:

I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags
I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » August 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:

I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:
Cant stand listening to Al interview any coach. He ask a question, then cuts them off to answer his own question like hes smarter than they are. Surprised coach Wells hasn't said something to Al about it. Its really annoying.

AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieVoice » August 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:

He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » August 9th, 2016, 10:59 am

AggieVoice wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:

He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
+1000

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » August 9th, 2016, 11:14 am

I like to hear Al call the game ( usually) but his interviewing skills post game are horrible.......
Just hearing his voice gets my Blue blood flowing rapidly, even on radio commercials. He is the voice of aggie sports.
I don't mind it when he gets out of control during a game and his voices rises and the hot dog goes off the mustard....
But he is clueless on post game interview skills.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 11:38 am

It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2016, 11:42 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.
As I understand it, Al owns the radio station that broadcasts Aggie games. Unlikely he fires himself. As for our PA announcer: Any PA announcer that consistently mixes up Hunter Sharp with Kent Myers should not be calling our games. Actually caring about the Aggie football team should be a prereq for the job.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 11:47 am

Madmartigan wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.
As I understand it, Al owns the radio station that broadcasts Aggie games. Unlikely he fires himself. As for our PA announcer: Any PA announcer that consistently mixes up Hunter Sharp with Kent Myers should not be calling our games. Actually caring about the Aggie football team should be a prereq for the job.
Well that sucks! He owns it? :wtf: He would mix up Robinson and sharp all the time too. Embarrassing! :bangwall:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 9th, 2016, 11:51 am

AggieVoice wrote: I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Riley Jensen in football. He's done color in football games before and was great.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 9th, 2016, 12:05 pm

brownjeans wrote:
AggieVoice wrote: I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Riley Jensen in football. He's done color in football games before and was great.
I whole hardheartedly agree with this. Al is annoying at times but there is just something about his voice and the Aggies. It wouldn't be the same being at the Stadium listening to the pregame without The Big Silk. I do agree he cuts people off in interviews, that comment is spot on.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 9th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » August 9th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I like Al's voice. It is Aggie football for me. I do wish he would give a better accounting of the play while it is happening though. Sometimes I have no idea what is going on haha.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 9th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Chatman wrote:Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.
Our poor Polynesians.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 9th, 2016, 12:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Just the thought of having Riley and Spencer doing color commentating for football and bball games gives me a semi.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » August 9th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Not sure Riley would be able to...I think he'd be awesome...but given that he's coaching at Alta High he might be available for some of the games but given how many Friday night games and then he would be unavailable to travel given his HS coaching commitments. Not to cold spoon the semi hipster.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

providencealum

Post by providencealum » August 9th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Well that sucks! He owns it? :wtf: He would mix up Robinson and sharp all the time too. Embarrassing! :bangwall:
Al does not own the radio station, he has just worked there since the beginning of time.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 9th, 2016, 3:01 pm

AggieVoice wrote:He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Scotty G. has the voice of an angel! Shame that it's wasted on Ute and Cougar (I can't express myself without swearing)-kissing every day...

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Scotty G. has the voice of an angel! Shame that it's wasted on Ute and Cougar (I can't express myself without swearing)-kissing every day...
Scotty G. Would be great for a new commentator!

coolag

Post by coolag » August 9th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Chatman wrote:Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.
For the love of $#*@ please tell me ain't so!

Regulator of Class

OCDAggie

Post by OCDAggie » August 9th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Well another fact is the announcer is paid less than $10.00 an hour for these games, and game prep time is on your own. I'd rather sit in the stands and criticize the announcer too than agree to do that job. They should at least offer a hot dog and a coke with the job.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2016, 4:57 pm

OCDAggie wrote:Well another fact is the announcer is paid less than $10.00 an hour for these games, and game prep time is on your own. I'd rather sit in the stands and criticize the announcer too than agree to do that job. They should at least offer a hot dog and a coke with the job.
I will do it for free. I will know all our players names and pronounce them all correctly.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 9th, 2016, 5:08 pm

That guy last year was so bad that my cousin, a huge BSU fan, was laughing at him so much, he completely forgot about the beat down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2016, 6:11 pm

They do have a drink machine and catered meals in the press box. Don't feel too bad for the guy.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 8:41 pm

I would rather listen to cbssports commentators than Al Lewis. That is saying something.....

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 9th, 2016, 8:54 pm

I like Al, he is one of a kind, and is very passionate. Just remember this is Logan, Al Michaels will not come here, in fact you might get last years PA guy.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 9th, 2016, 9:24 pm

I like Al for all he's done for the program over the years - being the voice for so many years has got to count for something. I dislike listening to him - so I don't.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 9th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I don't like Al for a variety of reasons that have been repeated many times around here. But dude works hard and is super prepared.

On the other hand, flygre and the dude from last year are just an embarrassment of apathy and incompetence. I'll be dumbfounded of either of them are back. That would really be too bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 9th, 2016, 10:55 pm

One memory I have of Al is during a pregame show in 2011, he was like "I know, we have always been good up until the fourth quarter. I know, we have always lost it in the fourth quarter" and I could tell by the way he said it that between 1. People on the air complaining about it 2. People in the community that would see him know he is the radio announcer and complain to him as if it would solve the problem and 3. People in the community that weren't talking to him but he would overhear complaining about it, he was sick of it and it made me feel better to know he was as sick of everyone complaining as I was, if not more. I can also remember that night, when we fell behind 28-7 at halftime, I was thinking that I would at least not have to hear whining about the fourth quarter. It was all the better we came back and won.

Most of you can remember this. Either you were constantly complaining that year about us "always losing it in fourth quarter" or were sick of having everyone see you, know your a very avid fan and complain to you about it, as if it would solve the problem.

Then again, you can also make a case that for those that complained to me, Al, or any of us, if they did it before the Hawaii game that year, it DID solve the problem!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 10th, 2016, 8:53 am

I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » August 10th, 2016, 8:56 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?
Actually his flaw goes right to the heart of his job . . to provide listeners an accurate play-by-play so we know what is going on. He doesn't do that well at all and hasn't for years.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 10th, 2016, 8:57 am

Jjoey52 wrote:I like Al, he is one of a kind, and is very passionate. Just remember this is Logan, Al Michaels will not come here, in fact you might get last years PA guy.

More likely you'd get Scott Garrard, who has filled in for Al at times, loves the Aggies just as much, and calls a much better game.

Nobody here knows anything.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 10th, 2016, 8:59 am

USUBlue wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?
Actually his flaw goes right to the heart of his job . . to provide listeners an accurate play-by-play so we know what is going on. He doesn't do that well at all and hasn't for years.
I've never had this issue with Al. Sure you have to filter out the shouting, but I think he does a pretty good job calling a game. Admittedly, he's better at football than basketball.

His post game interviews on the other hand...

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » August 10th, 2016, 10:25 am

Count how many times in an interview or just on the radio Al says "and Again"

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » August 10th, 2016, 2:09 pm

I like Al, he's not perfect but he's enjoyable to listen to IMO

Locked Previous topicNext topic