21 days out and half the stadium unsold

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie

21 days out and half the stadium unsold

Post by rAggie » August 11th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Took a look at single game tickets for Weber State today, and by proxy, I guess it's a look at what seats are still open for season tickets.

It is pretty embarrassing, honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the stadium is still unsold.

We don't deserve a Division 1 football team if that's the case, and we won't have one for much longer if it doesn't change.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Maverik_Aggie

Re: 21 days out and half the stadium unsold

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 11th, 2016, 12:44 pm

rAggie wrote:Took a look at single game tickets for Weber State today, and by proxy, I guess it's a look at what seats are still open for season tickets.

It is pretty embarrassing, honestly.

I wouldn't be surprised if half the stadium is still unsold.

We don't deserve a Division 1 football team if that's the case, and we won't have one for much longer if it doesn't change.
I'm actually surprised about this. We basically have a new stadium and the fans aren't coming? :crazy: that's disappointing! We have to get some wins on the board so the "casual" fan or the "passive" Aggie fan will come! Fortunately, I am confident that by the time we get to Oct. 1st we will be 3-1.

Full

Post by Full » August 11th, 2016, 1:28 pm

I looked at this and what I saw was A LOT available on the South and East sides of the stadium. I hope we get a good walk up crowd and have better turnout than the 2014 game with the lowest attendance (San Jose 18,428). I think there is momentum, but it looks like the casual fans are just not buying in right now. I do think it's embarrassing, but I am hopeful the West side donation seats are mostly sold. If we can get 19,000 in attendance and fill up the west side I think it is progress.

AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieVoice » August 11th, 2016, 2:00 pm

I heard that season ticket renewals are around 70%, good in the industry is 80% by the time the seasons starts. Utah is at about 97%. I think there are a couple reasons for this and neither of them are reason to panic or think the program is sinking.

1) Last year was the first year of having assigned seats in the lower bowl (South End Zone). We had a lot of new season ticket holders that wanted to pick their seats. They aren't used to how renewing your seats every year works because they have always just walked up and bought a general admission seat. They probably didn't even realize that they could get the exact same seats as last year. Communication error, yes. But it doesn't mean they won't come back.
2) Last year was a BYU-Boise home year so we attract a lot more fans that know they have to get season tickets to get both of those games. I will never understand the mentality of coming to watch the other team. For me, I come to watch the Aggies no matter who they play. But it is reality, and in the eyes of many this years schedule doesn't require them to get season tickets to see all of the games they want to see. A side note, hopefully someday soon BYU and Boise will be home in alternating years. Hopefully the AD can get this done. It would help out season ticket sales each year a lot.

Weber should look very full. The first game always is. Homecoming should be a sell out. Arkansas St. is a warm weather game so should draw a crowd. San Diego State I hope draws a crowd. New Mexico and Fresno we may struggle. How can we change the mentality from coming to watch the Cougars/Utes/Broncos to coming to watch OUR Aggies?

coolag

Post by coolag » August 11th, 2016, 2:07 pm

JMO but losing 4 of your last 5 games including getting *!$#-slapped by BYU and home and losing your bowl game to a mediocre Akron team won't make people bust down the doors for tickets for the upcoming season.

Regulator of Class

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 11th, 2016, 2:24 pm

AggieVoice wrote:I heard that season ticket renewals are around 70%, good in the industry is 80% by the time the seasons starts. Utah is at about 97%. I think there are a couple reasons for this and neither of them are reason to panic or think the program is sinking.

Weber should look very full. The first game always is. Homecoming should be a sell out. Arkansas St. is a warm weather game so should draw a crowd. San Diego State I hope draws a crowd. New Mexico and Fresno we may struggle. How can we change the mentality from coming to watch the Cougars/Utes/Broncos to coming to watch OUR Aggies?
My frustration exactly with so many Aggie fans I know. I come to watch OUR Aggies play like you were saying. I also agree that the alternating years will make a big difference in the ticket sales, since those are always well attended. I believe once we win our first MW conference title, we won't have a problem selling out our stadium. We have to get that monkey off our back though. We've been in the drivers seat twice to win the MW and messed up both times.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » August 11th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:I heard that season ticket renewals are around 70%, good in the industry is 80% by the time the seasons starts. Utah is at about 97%. I think there are a couple reasons for this and neither of them are reason to panic or think the program is sinking.

My frustration exactly with so many Aggie fans I know. I come to watch OUR Aggies play like you were saying. I also agree that the alternating years will make a big difference in the ticket sales, since those are always well attended. I believe once we win our first MW conference title, we won't have a problem selling out our stadium. We have to get that monkey off our back though. We've been in the drivers seat twice to win the MW and messed up both times.
I'd argue and say three times. Given the fact that winning a Division championship in Boise is quite the tall task. Could have beaten Fresno with a half healthy team, and we should have won the division last year if we didn't crap the bed against Air Force and New Mexico.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » August 11th, 2016, 2:40 pm

coolag wrote:JMO but losing 4 of your last 5 games including getting *!$#-slapped by BYU and home and losing your bowl game to a mediocre Akron team won't make people bust down the doors for tickets for the upcoming season.
Yet some people wanna blame it on the fans, instead of the team? The teams performance last year is why the stadium won't be full this season. Pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 11th, 2016, 2:48 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
coolag wrote:JMO but losing 4 of your last 5 games including getting *!$#-slapped by BYU and home and losing your bowl game to a mediocre Akron team won't make people bust down the doors for tickets for the upcoming season.
Yet some people wanna blame it on the fans, instead of the team? The teams performance last year is why the stadium won't be full this season. Pretty simple.

This. Stop blaming people for not buying tickets. Not everyone is as devoted to football as those of us who spend absurd hours on a fan forum. If we want to create more fans, we have to put on a better show.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 11th, 2016, 3:03 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

This. Stop blaming people for not buying tickets. Not everyone is as devoted to football as those of us who spend absurd hours on a fan forum. If we want to create more fans, we have to put on a better show.
Well said.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » August 11th, 2016, 3:09 pm

1) Last year was the first year of having assigned seats in the lower bowl (South End Zone). We had a lot of new season ticket holders that wanted to pick their seats. They aren't used to how renewing your seats every year works because they have always just walked up and bought a general admission seat. They probably didn't even realize that they could get the exact same seats as last year. Communication error, yes. But it doesn't mean they won't come back.
2) Last year was a BYU-Boise home year so we attract a lot more fans that know they have to get season tickets to get both of those games. I will never understand the mentality of coming to watch the other team. For me, I come to watch the Aggies no matter who they play. But it is reality, and in the eyes of many this years schedule doesn't require them to get season tickets to see all of the games they want to see. A side note, hopefully someday soon BYU and Boise will be home in alternating years. Hopefully the AD can get this done. It would help out season ticket sales each year a lot.

For most fans, the two most exciting games we play every year are Boise and BYU. It's a little unfortunate that they are on the same home and away rotation. I'm not surprised in a lower renewal rate this year over last. I know I bought season tickets last year to ensure a ticket to both games, but plan on just buying a 2 or 3 game mini pack this year. I think Season ticket sales would be more consistent if we had Boise H one year and BYU H the next rather than the same year. Just a thought. Winning probably helps the most though...

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » August 11th, 2016, 3:31 pm

why is it such slim pickins for season tickets? there arent many open seats available

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 11th, 2016, 3:35 pm

I hate to break it to you guys, but the extra tickets sold during BYU and Boise St. seasons/games aren't going to Aggie fans. Our stadium fills up with visitors and locals who cheer for the other team, not USU fans who want to see some "big time" opponent.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » August 11th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Recently purchased three tickets for AF game (HC). Taken back a little by the price of tickets in section 104 (old section 4 west side chair-backs) - $93.00 per seat. We can afford it and it's our one game for the year, but I doubt I would buy season tickets at that price if I lived closer. I might attend another game or two but no more than that when all are available on TV or streaming.

Full

Post by Full » August 11th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Adding 3) There are some people who know how to make some easy money by listing the tickets on StubHub, SeatGeek, and other scalping websites. Look at the difference between the prices this year and the $3 tickets availible for SUU last year viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37883

ususports

Post by ususports » August 11th, 2016, 4:14 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:I hate to break it to you guys, but the extra tickets sold during BYU and Boise St. seasons/games aren't going to Aggie fans. Our stadium fills up with visitors and locals who cheer for the other team, not USU fans who want to see some "big time" opponent.
This ^^^^. I know my neighbor bought season tickets on the west side with chair back seats, and paid the donation just so his family could attend the BYU game. In case you haven't put two and two together, he wasn't cheering for the Aggies.

ususports

Post by ususports » August 11th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Full wrote: Adding 3) There are some people who know how to make some easy money by listing the tickets on StubHub, SeatGeek, and other scalping websites. Look at the difference between the prices this year and the $3 tickets availible for SUU last year viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37883
The $3 dollar tickets were from BYU and Boise fans unloading their season tickets to the games they were not going to attend.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 11th, 2016, 4:26 pm

I had season tickets for last 3 years but only got 3 games this year. I cannot enjoy a game when the weather is nasty for a November night game. I am not the only one who is like this as college attendance is down nationwide due to TV demanding late starts in poor weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 11th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:I had season tickets for last 3 years but only got 3 games this year. I cannot enjoy a game when the weather is nasty for a November night game. I am not the only one who is like this as college attendance is down nationwide due to TV demanding late starts in poor weather.

Well, there is only one November game this year.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 11th, 2016, 5:22 pm

The first game always catches the casual fan by surprise. For many there is no sign that football is coming until they see the adds on TV for the upcoming games on CBS, NBC, and ESPN, the olympics have only increased the diversion. The non-diehards are enjoying summer and getting ready for kids to starts school and then all of the sudden it's a week or two till the game and it finally pops up on their radar. For the first game I would expect a lot of last minute purchasing.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

osuaggie

Post by osuaggie » August 11th, 2016, 5:40 pm

I don't think the Thursday night game helps with attendance. Makes for a late work/school night for those out of the valley. Not an ideal night for those of us who live close either. I know we've got a high school soccer game & a comp soccer game that night, neither of which are in Logan. I'm hoping to catch some of the game with the younger kids on the way back from one of the soccer games.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » August 11th, 2016, 5:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:I had season tickets for last 3 years but only got 3 games this year. I cannot enjoy a game when the weather is nasty for a November night game. I am not the only one who is like this as college attendance is down nationwide due to TV demanding late starts in poor weather.

Well, there is only one November game this year.
Only having 2 home games after October 8th has to be first for this program. We don't have the marquee home game but at least we got earlier home games this year.

If the casual fans knew much about football....the SDSU game would be a sell out. They are loaded, defending champs, who I think we will be ranked when they roll in her at the end of October. Hope that game builds some hype cause we are going to need it.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 11th, 2016, 6:07 pm

I'm so glad the season is almost here so we can start filling most threads with griping about attendance again.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 11th, 2016, 6:26 pm

I've never bought a ticket to a sporting event 21 days in advance.

Sr. Tubastank

Post by Sr. Tubastank » August 11th, 2016, 6:29 pm

This is exactly why there is no reason to add to the capacity of the stadium. I'm done worrying about how many fans will show up. I'll be there for all 6 games(hopefully 7) and I'll enjoy it whether it's half full or half empty because I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

@Call_It_Ustate

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 11th, 2016, 9:52 pm

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 12th, 2016, 9:55 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:.
You couldn't be more wrong

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 12th, 2016, 9:57 am

I honestly don't care what the attendance to the game is. Not within my control, nor do I care if others come. Win games and people will come.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » August 12th, 2016, 10:11 am

Could some of the difference also be the increased purchase of suites and club seats? If you are laying down thousands in a donation just for the opportunity to buy season tickets for a suite you likely aren't purchasing more season tickets in other sections

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » August 12th, 2016, 10:38 am

USU fans and alumni, by and large, just arent very committed. Yes, we have about 12-15,000 fans we can count on to come rain or shine. But after that, its a crap shoot. I would like to say we're better than that, but we havent proven that we are on a large scale. I wish I could tell you what the problem is, though I believe the "Cache Valley Cheap Factor" has something to do with it. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

I believe fan support will grow, just not as fast as most would like to see. As for me, I'll be to every home game but one sitting by my faithful friend and Aggie Buckfver, and I support Aggie athletics every way I possibly can . . . because just that's who I am. To each his own.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 12th, 2016, 11:17 am

AggiesForever wrote:USU fans and alumni, by and large, just arent very committed. Yes, we have about 12-15,000 fans we can count on to come rain or shine. But after that, its a crap shoot. I would like to say we're better than that, but we havent proven that we are on a large scale. I wish I could tell you what the problem is, though I believe the "Cache Valley(LDS) Cheap Factor" has something to do with it. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

I believe fan support will grow, just not as fast as most would like to see. As for me, I'll be to every home game but one sitting by my faithful friend and Aggie Buckfver, and I support Aggie athletics every way I possibly can . . . because just that's who I am. To each his own.
Fixed it for you.

Regulator of Class

gomretat

Post by gomretat » August 12th, 2016, 11:34 am

I have lived all over the US as well as some time living in Canada. Connecting this in anyway to religion is mind numbing.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 12th, 2016, 11:37 am

Numb away.

Regulator of Class

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 12th, 2016, 11:42 am

If the team consistently wins 8 to 10 games a year attendance will *eventually* sky rocket. Have a repeat of last year's performance very often and our sponsors will be regretting their investments because there will be lots of empty seats. If our program's performance slides into its "old ways" (e.g., most of the last 40+ years) it will die - such performance isn't going to cut it in today's TV/dollar driven world.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 12th, 2016, 11:45 am

AggiesForever wrote:USU fans and alumni, by and large, just arent very committed. Yes, we have about 12-15,000 fans we can count on to come rain or shine. But after that, its a crap shoot. I would like to say we're better than that, but we havent proven that we are on a large scale. I wish I could tell you what the problem is, though I believe the "Cache Valley Cheap Factor" has something to do with it. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... in-the-u-s

If I had more to give, I would.

Sincerely,
90% of Cache Valley Residents

Wages in Cache Valley suck. It's not so much a choice as you'd think. I work as a software engineer(for the USU Research Foundation). I don't live a lavish life. Rarely eat out because I can't afford it. I am a season ticket holder for football, but can't afford both football and basketball. I can easily see how people really have to stretch to buy tickets. Labeling Cache Valley residents as cheap is wreckless and wrong.

Locked Previous topicNext topic