QB

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brian5562

QB

Post by brian5562 » September 16th, 2016, 10:20 pm

Can we stop pretending we have one in Myers

2004AG

Re: QB

Post by 2004AG » September 16th, 2016, 10:34 pm

The truth is hard for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm

He definitely seems to have regressed quite a bit. He wasn't the most amazing QB as a freshman but he was serviceable and showed a ton of potential. Now I just don't know.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » September 16th, 2016, 10:56 pm

He is a great athlete and a very good runner but if he can't be more accurate and push the ball down the field the O will struggle all year.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:00 pm

He is far and away our best QB. While I definitely think there are holes in his game, he would be much more effective if Wells could stop pretending that he has Darrell Garretson back there and realize that he has Kent Myers taking snaps. Make no mistake, most of what is wrong with Myers could be fixed if our head coach was smart enough to mold his system to the players rather than trying to mold the players to his system.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 16th, 2016, 11:01 pm

I still argue we don't use him correctly. He doesn't throw the bubble screen well and puts too much air under the deep ball. He will never be a pocket passer and is obviously uncomfortable in there. I feel he is best used rolling out of the pocket and in the option game, but we don't use it near enough. And by option I don't just mean the zone read, but the option-pitch game rolling around the edge. The last drive highlighted these skills and you see the result.
Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing what Hobbs could do with more opportunities.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:03 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I still argue we don't use him correctly. He doesn't throw the bubble screen well and puts too much air under the deep ball. He will never be a pocket passer and is obviously uncomfortable in there. I feel he is best used rolling out of the pocket and in the option game, but we don't use it near enough. And by option I don't just mean the zone read, but the option-pitch game rolling around the edge. The last drive highlighted these skills and you see the result.
Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing what Hobbs could do with more opportunities.
I think the fact that Hobbs can't start over Myers tells us about everything we need to know, sadly.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » September 16th, 2016, 11:06 pm

I don't think it matters what is called Myers is just not an accurate passer

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:08 pm

brian5562 wrote:I don't think it matters what is called Myers is just not an accurate passer
This is an oversimplification. He is definitely not good with the long ball (unless, of course, Hunter Sharp is catching up to it) and he starts to float his passes after the offensive line has let him get hit a few times, but he is a serviceable quarterback. He should definitely run more than he currently does, and there is never a decent check down route for him.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 16th, 2016, 11:09 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I still argue we don't use him correctly. He doesn't throw the bubble screen well and puts too much air under the deep ball. He will never be a pocket passer and is obviously uncomfortable in there. I feel he is best used rolling out of the pocket and in the option game, but we don't use it near enough. And by option I don't just mean the zone read, but the option-pitch game rolling around the edge. The last drive highlighted these skills and you see the result.
I think the fact that Hobbs can't start over Myers tells us about everything we need to know, sadly.
In practice yes, but games and practice are completely different things. I saw Myers in practice with my own eyes look stellar and clearly outshine Hobbs. However, I'm not seeing Myers throw the same balls I saw in practice. He's clearly struggling. I would be really intrigued to see what Hobbs looks like in a game with a few series where he's "the guy".

I'm not calling for him over Myers, I just know Myers is in a funk. And who knows, Hobbs may be a gamer and we don't even know it.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » September 16th, 2016, 11:14 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
brian5562 wrote:I don't think it matters what is called Myers is just not an accurate passer
This is an oversimplification. He is definitely not good with the long ball (unless, of course, Hunter Sharp is catching up to it) and he starts to float his passes after the offensive line has let him get hit a few times, but he is a serviceable quarterback. He should definitely run more than he currently does, and there is never a decent check down route for him.

What routes can he throw? He can't throw the deep ball, he can't throw a good screen pass, can't throw the out. His best throw to me is the seam route.

bpd

Post by bpd » September 16th, 2016, 11:19 pm

The biggest problem I have with Myers right now is how he runs the read option. 95% of the time he gives it to the back, even though if he keeps he has a wide open lane. It's almost as if he is afraid to run. All his running yards are on pass plays. It doesn't help, that his coach has no idea how to call a game and I mean NO IDEA. Where the hell was Lindsey in the second half? He finally showed up on the last drive. It's time for Matt "bubbles" Wells to give up play calling.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:24 pm

bpd wrote:The biggest problem I have with Myers right now is how he runs the read option. 95% of the time he gives it to the back, even though if he keeps he has a wide open lane. It's almost as if he is afraid to run. All his running yards are on pass plays. It doesn't help, that his coach has no idea how to call a game and I mean NO IDEA. Where the hell was Lindsey in the second half? He finally showed up on the last drive. It's time for Matt "bubbles" Wells to give up play calling.
Watched the game with a few buddies tonight and we talked about this a lot. Myers reacts far too fast for me to believe that he is reading the defense most of the time. It has gotten to the point where I'm not sure it is even a read option and is maybe just a delayed handoff, which also wouldn't surprise me based on how piss-poor our play calling is most of the time. Either way, it just makes me sad.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 16th, 2016, 11:32 pm

I'm torn at this point. He's won a lot of games for a QB that isn't capable. I agree he is not used correctly and his strengths are not played to. Also, the thing that saved us in this game on O was Myers legs and ability to scramble on planned pass plays and occasionally on the option.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 16th, 2016, 11:34 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:He definitely seems to have regressed quite a bit. He wasn't the most amazing QB as a freshman but he was serviceable and showed a ton of potential. Now I just don't know.
Myers is much more valuable if we use his legs more. Keep the defense honest and capitalize on his strength. We saw tonight how he can change the game with his legs. I wish we could see more of that.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 16th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Aglicious wrote:I'm torn at this point. He's won a lot of games for a QB that isn't capable. I agree he is not used correctly and his strengths are not played to. Also, the thing that saved us in this game on O was Myers legs and ability to scramble on planned pass plays and occasionally on the option.
Yep. Same thing can be said about the coach who many are ready to lynch and run out of town tarred and feathered on a rail. Neither is perfect, but people seem to enjoy the extremes on here. :lol:

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:37 pm

treesap32 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:He definitely seems to have regressed quite a bit. He wasn't the most amazing QB as a freshman but he was serviceable and showed a ton of potential. Now I just don't know.
Myers is much more valuable if we use his legs more. Keep the defense honest and capitalize on his strength. We saw tonight how he can change the game with his legs. I wish we could see more of that.
He is a QB. For a pure option team only though and a good one. So is Hobbs.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 16th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Admittedly he leaves a lot to be desired but he deserves a ton of credit for that final drive. He made some huge plays on that drive.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:38 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:I'm torn at this point. He's won a lot of games for a QB that isn't capable. I agree he is not used correctly and his strengths are not played to. Also, the thing that saved us in this game on O was Myers legs and ability to scramble on planned pass plays and occasionally on the option.
Yep. Same thing can be said about the coach who many are ready to lynch and run out of town tarred and feathered on a rail. Neither is perfect, but people seem to enjoy the extremes on here. :lol:
Looking at Matt Wells' HC career in a vacuum, I agree that it would be weird to be this critical of him. However, it is obvious that this program is regressing under his watch. His unwillingness to adapt is only making things worse.

Aggies For Life
Troll
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aggies For Life » September 16th, 2016, 11:41 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Yes, but I think MW has a track record of not knowing who to play at quarterback - most of his decisions are political. Like seriously, playing Chuckie Keeton when the guy could barely walk?!

This is my signature.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:42 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:Admittedly he leaves a lot to be desired but he deserves a ton of credit for that final drive. He made some huge plays on that driv

He did and should be commended. He threw the Matt wells shiz out the window and played to what he does best.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 16th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Yes, but I think MW has a track record of not knowing who to play at quarterback - most of his decisions are political. Like seriously, playing Chuckie Keeton when the guy could barely walk?!
Are we sure this guy is a secret troll? Because if he is, I think that makes me a secret troll. I am finding myself agreeing with AFL a lot lately.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 16th, 2016, 11:44 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Are we sure this guy is a secret troll? Because if he is, I think that makes me a secret troll. I am finding myself agreeing with AFL a lot lately.
Go take a shower and go to bed.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 16th, 2016, 11:45 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Go take a cold shower and go to bed.

FIFY and TWSS

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » September 16th, 2016, 11:51 pm

Not a fan of Myers at all. I don't see us even coming close to knocking off a BSU or SDSU when we can't move the ball.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 16th, 2016, 11:55 pm

treesap32 wrote:
I think Matt was given this chance at a very young age, and with a lot to learn. He'd only been a coordinator for one year when he was given the HC job. He struggles with loyalty and his stubborness, but he's also won some big games for us. He's made some great hires that many on here have praised. He pulled Orlando out of a hat and surprised us all. Unfortunately he's made some bad hires too, but then encouraged those coaches to look elsewhere as many hoped after last year. I think he's still trying to figure this all out. He's not everybody's best friend like Gary, but he's well liked amongst his peers. Gary had a lot of experience and background to know how to be loose with players but also strict. I don't think Matt had enough time as a coordinator to learn how to do this, but regardless, Gary has a unique personality and Matt will never be him. Instead Matt has elected to hire coordinators that our popular with the players and takes on a more authoritative role. I still think this style can be effective as a head coach, but he needs to be willing to adjust and adapt to the players' strengths and the situations at hand.

aggieaz

Post by aggieaz » September 17th, 2016, 12:10 am

treesap32 wrote:

This^^^

I was waiting all night for the QB runs, I know some didn't work but overall seemed successful.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » September 17th, 2016, 12:37 am

Never been a big Myers fan but it has more to do with my posting bias just do not care for the QB type or style of KM and CK. Myers is an athlete and not a QB. I did think, however, he actually played to what he is tonight...an athlete who made a couple of nice throws which WRs and TE dropped. Nice under the coverage ball to wide open RL...which was a great play but disappointing only in that I thought either RL is a bit slower than I thought...perhaps hampered by injury???? or the DB is super fast I suspect the former.

Not sure what else you guys expect from Myers...unlike Chuckie he seems to throw fewer interceptions and takes care of the ball. Chuckie killed us with fumbles last year which should not happened even if he was injured and a supposed shadow of himself. Our 2nd team running back almost had a 100 yard game...2 yards short. We put up 34 points and covered the spread against a team that is comparable to USU in its program development.

I left the stadium tonight thinking perhaps the offense does not necessarily stink just that it is boring. What gets me is that there never is a sustained rhythm to the offense except that last drive tonight which was still more about athleticism than good offensive play calling.

On a better note there some really good insightful comments have made it into this thread including KM essentially only being able to throw one route well which is the seam and also doing better with roll outs than pocket passing. I say everything is solid player wise on offense even the receivers impressed me with improved routes and aggressiveness in going to the ball. Really enjoying the O line a bunch more this year and am especially liking their discipline ...how many false starts compared to ASU ??? Not many holding penalties either.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 17th, 2016, 6:16 am

No, Myers is largely to blame for us not blowing them out. Remember that fade to the end zone? Do you think the play call Wells gave Myers was- "Hey, if the guy is double covered still try to throw it" or "Why not try overthrowing your receivers by 10 yards".

The play calling probably could have used improvement but the idea that the plays called were terrible and that Myers was doing well on the last drive simply because he started to "ignore" Wells is just wrong.

He did what he should have been doing. Made better reads and ran when people weren't open. If Myers had been making these types of decisions all game it would have been a blow out. We would have finished the game with 48+ points.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » September 17th, 2016, 7:34 am

Imakeitrain wrote:No, Myers is largely to blame for us not blowing them out. Remember that fade to the end zone? Do you think the play call Wells gave Myers was- "Hey, if the guy is double covered still try to throw it" or "Why not try overthrowing your receivers by 10 yards".

The play calling probably could have used improvement but the idea that the plays called were terrible and that Myers was doing well on the last drive simply because he started to "ignore" Wells is just wrong.

He did what he should have been doing. Made better reads and ran when people weren't open. If Myers had been making these types of decisions all game it would have been a blow out. We would have finished the game with 48+ points.
I tend to agree. I felt like Myers didn't want to run until that last drive. Like he's trying to preserve himself for the entire season. I'm curious if that is a call made by him or by the coaches. I'm leaning toward the coaches because of the random Hobbs QB running pays during games.

If we're afraid of our QBs getting injured from running too often, maybe we should consider implementing an offense where a running QB isn't a critical piece.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » September 17th, 2016, 9:30 am

Maybe he's not a pocket passer because the pocket collapses anywhere from .6 to .9 seconds. If Weber and Arky State consistently get to the backfield that fast, what will a mediocre mountain west team do to our oline?

Locked Previous topicNext topic