Coaches luncheon today.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Empire of Dirt

Coaches luncheon today.

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 19th, 2016, 7:22 am

I'm thinking about going today. Since I do my best to avoid downtown SLC, can someone please give some info on parking and what not for the Zions building?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

89LaytonAg
Has thanked: 0

Re: Coaches luncheon today.

Post by 89LaytonAg » September 19th, 2016, 8:06 am

Just park in City Creek. I believe that the first hour or two is free. Last time we did lunch at Zions they provided validations.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » September 19th, 2016, 8:15 am

Please ask about the 2nd quarter fail. Staying aggressive, maybe even getting 3 points sure would have been more positive than what he chose to do. Just ask nicely. :).

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 19th, 2016, 8:18 am

It would be easy to nicely ask the question about punting it late in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 1 from the Ark. st. 42 yard line. Just bring up the situation and then ask what his mindset was in deciding to punt, how close he was to deciding to go for it, and if he had the situation again would he do the same thing?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 19th, 2016, 8:30 am

89LaytonAg wrote:Just park in City Creek. I believe that the first hour or two is free. Last time we did lunch at Zions they provided validations.
This is by far your best option. Even if you go over the allotment of free time, the rate is reasonable.

I've got a list of questions for you to ask, but apparently the coach's luncheon is a "safe zone."

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 19th, 2016, 8:50 am

Call him a jerk and throw your food in his face to let him know there are upset fans.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » September 19th, 2016, 8:58 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:Call him a jerk and throw your food in his face to let him know there are upset fans.
That's ridiculous 3rdgen :-). I like the pitchforks idea better

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 19th, 2016, 9:02 am

I am tempted to attend so that I can stand up and ask, "Special Teams. WTF?"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » September 19th, 2016, 9:08 am

I've always wanted to go to one of these. Too bad I'm in school :lol:

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 19th, 2016, 9:34 am

USUBlue wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:Call him a jerk and throw your food in his face to let him know there are upset fans.
That's ridiculous 3rdgen :-). I like the pitchforks idea better
I do like the medieval feel of the pitchforks. Much more ominous. :)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

BrendanAggie93
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrendanAggie93 » September 19th, 2016, 9:41 am

Pretty sure I'm going! I'll be interested to hear his thoughts about the AFA game coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » September 19th, 2016, 9:43 am

Ask him why this is the second game in a row where they've come out passing on the first series, when he keeps reiterating that we need to establish the run early.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

aggietime

Post by aggietime » September 19th, 2016, 9:56 am

Ditto on parking at City Creek. They give the first two hours free and the elevators for the Zion building are in the east side lot (northwest corner of east lot).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

ususports

Post by ususports » September 19th, 2016, 9:58 am

I suggest someone bring up three ongoing issues:

1. Does Matt finally realize that EVERY defense is anxiously awaiting the screen pass across the field. Arkansas State almost intercepted two of them, and a good defense would have had 14 points gifted to them.
2. Someone should tell KM to stop over throwing the long ball by 10 yards every time. You would think that KM himself would recognize this by now, but obviously not, so someone (i.e. his coach) should tell him.
3. After a first down, every time we do a quick snap and call a running play, we either have no gain, or lose yardage. Perhaps we should try something different (like slow down and call a real play) to stop wasting first downs.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 19th, 2016, 10:24 am

Ask him what his opposition is to using the middle of the field and north/south plays.

DCS

Post by DCS » September 19th, 2016, 10:34 am

Who would the coach like to utilize more? Any update on Mays? Thoughts about the late hits from Asu?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 19th, 2016, 10:37 am

I'd like to know what he sees in Kennedy Williams esp. as a returner. He seems to run it out of the endzone a lot only to get to the 10 (and he fumbled that against Tennessee). Maybe he does a lot right and I just only pick up on the bad returns. Maybe Kennedy sees something I do not- but based on what I do see, I'm not as thrilled as some may be.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 19th, 2016, 10:38 am

Ask him which rub I should use on my ribs this week.

posted via telepathy

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 19th, 2016, 10:53 am

Imakeitrain wrote:I'd like to know what he sees in Kennedy Williams esp. as a returner. He seems to run it out of the endzone a lot only to get to the 10 (and he fumbled that against Tennessee). Maybe he does a lot right and I just only pick up on the bad returns. Maybe Kennedy sees something I do not- but based on what I do see, I'm not as thrilled as some may be.
At what point in time does Kennedy get to live down that he fumbled a kickoff TWO damn years ago? Nobody is (I can't express myself without swearing) themselves after Damion was put in to finish off that drive on Saturday but he's fumbled far more recently than Kennedy. Hell Kerwynn even let a live kickoff roll into the endzone that was recovered for a Wyoming touchdown. Kennedy is a shifty dynamic player but he is only going to go a far as his blocking allows him to. We do have several guys capable of returning kicks but right now he is the choice of the coaching staff.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 19th, 2016, 10:54 am

ususports wrote:I suggest someone bring up three ongoing issues:

1. Does Matt finally realize that EVERY defense is anxiously awaiting the screen pass across the field. Arkansas State almost intercepted two of them, and a good defense would have had 14 points gifted to them.
2. Someone should tell KM to stop over throwing the long ball by 10 yards every time. You would think that KM himself would recognize this by now, but obviously not, so someone (i.e. his coach) should tell him.
3. After a first down, every time we do a quick snap and call a running play, we either have no gain, or lose yardage. Perhaps we should try something different (like slow down and call a real play) to stop wasting first downs.
Two plays that never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever gains any yards. Ever.

But Wells has already been asked about the hurry-up snap at a luncheon. I believe he was asked why we run the "X button" play after a long gain. If you think he gave any insight as to why or any acknowledgment that it didn't work, then you have never been to a luncheon.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » September 19th, 2016, 10:57 am

Imakeitrain wrote:I'd like to know what he sees in Kennedy Williams esp. as a returner. He seems to run it out of the endzone a lot only to get to the 10 (and he fumbled that against Tennessee). Maybe he does a lot right and I just only pick up on the bad returns. Maybe Kennedy sees something I do not- but based on what I do see, I'm not as thrilled as some may be.
That's easy. Williams runs east/west more than any player I've ever seen.

Matt Wells calls more plays that are east/west than any coach over ever seen.

The connection is obvious.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 19th, 2016, 11:05 am

aggies22 wrote:
At what point in time does Kennedy get to live down that he fumbled a kickoff TWO damn years ago? Nobody is s*** themselves after Damion was put in to finish off that drive on Saturday but he's fumbled far more recently than Kennedy. Hell Kerwynn even let a live kickoff roll into the endzone that was recovered for a Wyoming touchdown. Kennedy is a shifty dynamic player but he is only going to go a far as his blocking allows him to. We do have several guys capable of returning kicks but right now he is the choice of the coaching staff.
Then tell him to stop running it out of the endzone. If blocking is the problem, we can automatically start at the 25 yard line if he just takes a knee.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 19th, 2016, 11:10 am

AgMac wrote:
ususports wrote:I suggest someone bring up three ongoing issues:

Two plays that never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever gains any yards. Ever.

But Wells has already been asked about the hurry-up snap at a luncheon. I believe he was asked why we run the "X button" play after a long gain. If you think he gave any insight as to why or any acknowledgment that it didn't work, then you have never been to a luncheon.
Crud. I suppose I won't get that rib rub question answered either. Just a bunch of coach-speak about how well Rudy's brisket has performed.

posted via telepathy

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 19th, 2016, 11:17 am

2004AG wrote:

Haha.. :lol: so true. Listen, maybe K. Williams is a practice champion but when the lights are on, he has never delivered. In fact he has hurt the team more times than not. I said in chat on Friday night that if I never saw him on the field again I would be perfectly fine with that. I'll never understand fielding a kick-off in the corner of your own endzone and deciding to take it out only to fail to get to the 10 yard line. Coming up short of the 20 is one thing, maybe a player thought he saw an opportunity and the window closed before he got there or never developed how it should have. Not making the 10? That's just poor decision making.

ususports

Post by ususports » September 19th, 2016, 11:21 am

Aglicious wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Haha.. :lol: so true. Listen, maybe K. Williams is a practice champion but when the lights are on, he has never delivered. In fact he has hurt the team more times than not. I said in chat on Friday night that if I never saw him on the field again I would be perfectly fine with that. I'll never understand fielding a kick-off in the corner of your own endzone and deciding to take it out only to fail to get to the 10 yard line. Coming up short of the 20 is one thing, maybe a player thought he saw an opportunity and the window closed before he got there or never developed how it should have. Not making the 10? That's just poor decision making.
It should be well noted that this happened over the weekend, not two years ago.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » September 19th, 2016, 11:28 am

Aglicious wrote:
2004AG wrote:

And who could forget the wide open, uncontested dump off pass @ Utah last year? That was the game essentially....

He is disappointing, IMO.

dogie

Post by dogie » September 19th, 2016, 12:04 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:Ask him which rub I should use on my ribs this week.

posted via telepathy
Ask him how much the Aggie Dogs cost at the stadium this year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » September 19th, 2016, 12:19 pm

I would like to know what thought goes into an offensive series where we insert Gerold Bright at RB, proceed to run pitch left to him on first down- Arky. St. stretches it out pretty well for a minimal gain. We then run hurry up no huddle, line up in the same formation and run the exact same play again on second down - pitch left to Bright for a similar result. We then continue with the hurry up but make a few quick personnel changes and fail to convert on a run on 3rd down. Is creativity not allowed on offense anymore?

Weekly Press Conference: http://livestream.com/utahstate/events/ ... /136280921

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 19th, 2016, 12:20 pm

dogie wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:Ask him which rub I should use on my ribs this week.

posted via telepathy
Ask him how much the Aggie Dogs cost at the stadium this year.
Hahaha! I hope to find that out for myself when I come down to the game in a few days. I probably can't rely on coach-speak to give me an accurate Aggie Dog assessment anyway.

posted via telepathy

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 19th, 2016, 12:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
At what point in time does Kennedy get to live down that he fumbled a kickoff TWO damn years ago? Nobody is s*** themselves after Damion was put in to finish off that drive on Saturday but he's fumbled far more recently than Kennedy. Hell Kerwynn even let a live kickoff roll into the endzone that was recovered for a Wyoming touchdown. Kennedy is a shifty dynamic player but he is only going to go a far as his blocking allows him to. We do have several guys capable of returning kicks but right now he is the choice of the coaching staff.
I'm not trying to berate Kennedy. I tried to leave room to give him the benefit of the doubt that he saw something on those returns that made the risk of running those out worth the return. My question implies that Matt Wells has his reasons for using Kennedy. I'd like to hear why Kennedy is a good returner, a view that can enlighten me as to things Kennedy does well that someone like myself might miss. It's not a question trying to make a point, it's an honest question.

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » September 19th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Ask him why we don't throw more than we do to Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using my willpower

BrendanAggie93

Post by BrendanAggie93 » September 19th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Wells said he's hopeful for Mays to be back this week, said he is happy with the O Line and Linebackers thus far. When asked about the spotty offense he attributed it to a number of things like a few bad balls, a few bad routes and some dropped balls. Said Lewis needs to hit the squat rack to improve his speed to be able to score on that long play. No one asked about the dang bubble screen. He said they need special teams as a whole to get better and he thinks that they can and will and that the improvements that will be made there will come in handy in future games this year essentially.

afausu

Post by afausu » September 19th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I'm not trying to berate Kennedy. I tried to leave room to give him the benefit of the doubt that he saw something on those returns that made the risk of running those out worth the return. My question implies that Matt Wells has his reasons for using Kennedy. I'd like to hear why Kennedy is a good returner, a view that can enlighten me as to things Kennedy does well that someone like myself might miss. It's not a question trying to make a point, it's an honest question.

Wells' answer to that question would be, "He's got moxy." Is that how you spell it? Is it even a real word? I do know that the definition of moxy must be "contributes nothing."

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 19th, 2016, 1:28 pm

89LaytonAg wrote:Just park in City Creek. I believe that the first hour or two is free. Last time we did lunch at Zions they provided validations.
You get two free hours. When I went to conference, and didn't have a parking pass that some people are able to get, I would cheat the system by pulling out of the City Creek garage and right back in a few times to reset the two hours!

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » September 19th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Aglicious wrote:I would like to know what thought goes into an offensive series where we insert Gerold Bright at RB, proceed to run pitch left to him on first down- Arky. St. stretches it out pretty well for a minimal gain. We then run hurry up no huddle, line up in the same formation and run the exact same play again on second down - pitch left to Bright for a similar result. We then continue with the hurry up but make a few quick personnel changes and fail to convert on a run on 3rd down. Is creativity not allowed on offense anymore?

Weekly Press Conference: http://livestream.com/utahstate/events/ ... /136280921
I actually liked that play call. I think we got about 4 yards on 1st down which I consider a win. Going right back to the same play in the hurry-up is a strategy used by La. Tech, Cal, Oregon and others teams that try to play as fast as possible. Didn't the second down play also result in about a 2-3 yard gain to set us up for 3rd and short? That's a much better situation than the horizontal pass game was netting us.

Locked Previous topicNext topic