Ref blew the game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Ref blew the game

Post by AggieVoice » November 14th, 2016, 9:21 am

How come we aren't talking more about the blown call by the ref that cost us the game?

Wells had 3 EGREGIOUS errors in 1) Deciding not to take the lead late in the 4th - chances are we make the field goal and likely play it out in overtime. Gives us a chance to win. 2) Taking our last timeout with 17 seconds on the clock and 15 on the play clock while the game clock was not moving. Keeping the timeout would have given us a shot at a field goal where we would hope it would go in (no guarantees there) and play it out in overtime. 3) Running the field goal team out and not spiking the ball on 2nd down. Same as above we could have made a field goal and played it out in OT. Combine 1 & 2 or 3 and we win the game if we make both field goals. None of these DIRECTLY cost us the game.

The blown offensive PI in the end zone DIRECTLY cost us the game. As the ESPN guy stated, it was an egregious error. Without that, Myers is the hero of the game, we all remember that game as a classic even with the disappointing season, and we all leave happy Saturday night.

By no means am I apologizing for Wells. Maybe its good that we lost so it gives him a shorter rope, but I do feel bad for the guy, the players, and us fans that we are sitting at 3-7 instead of 5-5 because of horrible officiating.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Ref blew the game

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 14th, 2016, 9:34 am

AggieVoice wrote:How come we aren't talking more about the blown call by the ref that cost us the game?

Wells had 3 EGREGIOUS errors in 1) Deciding not to take the lead late in the 4th - chances are we make the field goal and likely play it out in overtime. Gives us a chance to win. 2) Taking our last timeout with 17 seconds on the clock and 15 on the play clock while the game clock was not moving. Keeping the timeout would have given us a shot at a field goal where we would hope it would go in (no guarantees there) and play it out in overtime. 3) Running the field goal team out and not spiking the ball on 2nd down. Same as above we could have made a field goal and played it out in OT. Combine 1 & 2 or 3 and we win the game if we make both field goals. None of these DIRECTLY cost us the game.

The blown offensive PI in the end zone DIRECTLY cost us the game. As the ESPN guy stated, it was an egregious error. Without that, Myers is the hero of the game, we all remember that game as a classic even with the disappointing season, and we all leave happy Saturday night.

By no means am I apologizing for Wells. Maybe its good that we lost so it gives him a shorter rope, but I do feel bad for the guy, the players, and us fans that we are sitting at 3-7 instead of 5-5 because of horrible officiating.
The offensive players had 1st down from the New Mexico 5 and in 4 plays couldn't get it in the endzone to secure the win. I don't feel bad for them. They made their bed. The coaches should've used Hobbs and showed creativity, but regardless of that, you should be able to get 5 yards in 4 plays.

The defensive players got smoked by the option all day, and our pass defense gave up big gainers. They made their bed.

You can't always control what the refs will call so you have to play in a way that they can't lose it for you. Should never have come down to that play anyway if we take care of business.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » November 14th, 2016, 9:36 am

I will be shocked if that official who called the P.I. On Tarver isn't suspended.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » November 14th, 2016, 9:51 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:How come we aren't talking more about the blown call by the ref that cost us the game?

The offensive players had 1st down from the New Mexico 5 and in 4 plays couldn't get it in the endzone to secure the win. I don't feel bad for them. They made their bed. The coaches should've used Hobbs and showed creativity, but regardless of that, you should be able to get 5 yards in 4 plays.

The defensive players got smoked by the option all day, and our pass defense gave up big gainers. They made their bed.

You can't always control what the refs will call so you have to play in a way that they can't lose it for you. Should never have come down to that play anyway if we take care of business.
Teams have defensive stands all the time. We have had plenty of them and had a couple big ones Saturday night. Rough to be on the opposite side of it, but it happens.

New Mexico is also the leading rushing team in the country. They must do something right and it was awful to watch and hard to stop. They do it to everyone.

Refs still shouldn't blow calls like that. It was a close game, a poorly coached game, yet we won the game and he took it away from us.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 14th, 2016, 9:53 am

Blaming the refs is petty. Yes they made a bad call. That's part of the game. We had our chances and couldn't get it done.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » November 14th, 2016, 10:02 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:Blaming the refs is petty. Yes they made a bad call. That's part of the game. We had our chances and couldn't get it done.
The thing is, we did get it done. We executed on that drive until that play and the ref took a game winning touchdown away that he shouldn't have.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 14th, 2016, 10:09 am

AggieVoice wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:Blaming the refs is petty. Yes they made a bad call. That's part of the game. We had our chances and couldn't get it done.
The thing is, we did get it done. We executed on that drive until that play and the ref took a game winning touchdown away that he shouldn't have.
The scoreboard says we didn't get it done. We shouldn't have needed that TD.

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » November 14th, 2016, 10:23 am

Yes, blaming the refs is petty, and bad calls happen all the time. But a call THAT bad, in THAT situation...I rarely see it. Occasionally I see a bad no-call at the end of the game where the ref swallows his whistle, because generally refs will let the players play in those situations.

And I agree - it directly cost us the game. It wasn't a judgment call, or a 50/50, or a close one. It was clearly, objectively, a terrible call, and it was in an absolutely critical point in the game, and we got screwed because of it.

Matt Wells was still embarrassingly bad, and there are a lot of reasons we were in the position to be impacted by a terrible call, but ultimately, if the ref just makes an obvious call, we win.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 14th, 2016, 10:24 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:
The scoreboard says we didn't get it done. We shouldn't have needed that TD.
You control what you can control in the game. You can't control the refs so you have to take care of business. If situations were reversed and New Mexico lost because of a blown call, would you accepting of Lobo fans coming on this board claiming true victory?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2016, 10:31 am

Accountability.

You must be accountable for what you can control. You cannot control a ref's bad call, but you can control the other mistakes that lead up to the situation where one call made the difference in winning or losing. We had a 21 to 6 lead and made many mistakes that blew the lead and prevented us from adding more points. One bad call by a ref is NOT to blame for that.
Last edited by brownjeans on November 14th, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 14th, 2016, 10:32 am

GreenAg wrote:Yes, blaming the refs is petty, and bad calls happen all the time. But a call THAT bad, in THAT situation...I rarely see it. Occasionally I see a bad no-call at the end of the game where the ref swallows his whistle, because generally refs will let the players play in those situations.

And I agree - it directly cost us the game. It wasn't a judgment call, or a 50/50, or a close one. It was clearly, objectively, a terrible call, and it was in an absolutely critical point in the game, and we got screwed because of it.

Matt Wells was still embarrassingly bad, and there are a lot of reasons we were in the position to be impacted by a terrible call, but ultimately, if the ref just makes an obvious call, we win.
The ref who called it was on the backside of the play, which is the same angle we had on tv. Watching live I thought it initially looked like PI on Tarver. It wasn't until watching the replay from the trailing view that I could see the New Mexico grabbing him first, and then Tarver shoved him off. We have the benefit of watching replay however, and the ref doesn't. So I can see if he happened to not catch that small moment where the NM DB went into Tarver first, whether it was due to the angle or he got caught watching something else, and why he'd see that as Tarver pushing him down.

snoel

Post by snoel » November 14th, 2016, 10:35 am

Kind of silly to say under these circumstances that "scoreboard" says we didn't get it done. I get it, we cant whine about refs, but when you execute a perfect play and it results in an awesome catch and a game winning touchdown, but then a poor call is made and cancels the score, I think it's safe to say that the team got it done. They did all they could on that play to win the game. When a third party wrongfully negates it, it does not mean that the team did not "get it done." It's like saying an incompetent ref or even a biased ref is no matter. If a team performs, it is all for not as long a the ref says so. We had blown plays, every game and team has them. Not every team and game has a game winning touchdown incorrectly waived off. We put ourselves in that position through a lot of mistakes, but that does not excuse the ref's conduct. Ref's make mistakes, too. But they all know you don't wave off a touchdown, much less a gaming winning touchdown, unless it's clear and obvious. Otherwise, you leave it alone. They didn't and they should have.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 14th, 2016, 10:39 am

I think everyone is right here and that we are talking past each other. The bad call Did directly cost us the game. HOWEVER, we shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, and the events after the PI call are inexcusable. We still had a chance to win the game despite the bad call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Full

Post by Full » November 14th, 2016, 12:00 pm

This was posted by someone else, but this is what I saw in real time.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Looks like offensive PI to me. It doesn't always get called, but it does look like it to me.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2016, 3:03 pm

When the two players enter the screen, they are both beyond the five-yard contact area. The DB is in contact with the WR on the WR's left. The WR is trying to move to his right and moves his left arm over and in front of the DB. The DB begins to fall and grabs the WR's left shoulder. The WR stumbles and extends his left arm to shed the DB. The DB falls. The WR catches the ball. The WR never takes his eyes off the ball the entire time on camera.

PI or no-call? If PI, on offense or defense?
[youtube][/youtube]

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 14th, 2016, 3:38 pm

The title of this thread is humorous... USU lost the game not the ref. If we want to be a program that competes for a MW title every year than we can't be in a situation where it's coming down to the last play against a program like New Mexico. It's now bad enough that we've lost to them two years in a row now. I don't want to hear about Refs losing the game.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 14th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Not petty in this instance. It's easy to blame refs for bad calls....they happen. But if you go down the field to the 19 yd line, and then win the game on the next play with less than 20 seconds left, only to be taken away on a call that wasn't even close? Excuse me, but that isn't close to being petty.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 14th, 2016, 4:33 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
Not petty in this instance. It's easy to blame refs for bad calls....they happen. But if you go down the field to the 19 yd line, and then win the game on the next play with less than 20 seconds left, only to be taken away on a call that wasn't even close? Excuse me, but that isn't close to being petty.
Ignoring the fact that we had a 15 point lead but instead blaming the refs for the loss is absolutely petty. There is much blame to go around.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 14th, 2016, 4:53 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
The ref had to call it in real time and from that aspect the call was not that agregious. I completely agree that offensive PI should be called about 3 times as much as it actually is, but lets face it, fans like offense and D PI calls extend drives and O PI calls kill them. The fact that its so rarely called but was called in such a questionable case is what makes it frustrating. The ref should have let it go with contact both ways.

That said it wasn't the reason the Aggies lost. I'll put this one as squarely upon Wells as any one. First, just because Myers starts good does not mean he should be playing QB. Not only is he streaky, he can't audible which kills the run and pass game as teams adjust. Second, Only an idiot gives the ball to the little tailback who does not get forward progress after contact with our atrocious O-line. Wells has one of the better goaline QBs in the countrty and one of the best receiving TEs in the country but he's an idiot.

Finally the biggest reason we lost to CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Air Force is our O-line and particular the tackles, with extra credit for atrociousness given to the left one is the worst in either FBS or FCS in the country.

MsFootballIAm
Been thanked: 0

Post by MsFootballIAm » November 16th, 2016, 10:02 am

The ref did make a bad call on the last play of the game and it should have been a touchdown; however we should not have gotten ourselves in that position to where we were playing desperate and having to play catch up. This madness has been going on all year long. Again coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Some of these coaches need to be coaching flag football if that. Let's see what happens after this last year of Anderson recruits are gone. 2017-2018 should be interesting for the USU football program. Go Aggies!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 16th, 2016, 1:51 pm

MsFootballIAm wrote:The ref did make a bad call on the last play of the game and it should have been a touchdown; however we should not have gotten ourselves in that position to where we were playing desperate and having to play catch up. This madness has been going on all year long. Again coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Some of these coaches need to be coaching flag football if that. Let's see what happens after this last year of Anderson recruits are gone. 2017-2018 should be interesting for the USU football program. Go Aggies!
If another 4 win season isn't that interesting :)

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 16th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Agreed the side judge called it in real time, but the camera angles available to the replay judge shed different light on the play... even we can see that on this board!!!! Replay video is supposed to overturn missed calls, yet this one, like the Air Force failure, didn't deliver a friendly reversal in favor of a Utah State winning touchdown.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 16th, 2016, 6:43 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Agreed the side judge called it in real time, but the camera angles available to the replay judge shed different light on the play... even we can see that on this board!!!! Replay video is supposed to overturn missed calls, yet this one, like the Air Force failure, didn't deliver a friendly reversal in favor of a Utah State winning touchdown.
They don't overturn penalties outside of targeting.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » November 16th, 2016, 9:59 pm

How dare any true Aggie blame the refs for a loss. We deserved to lose because we are the Aggies. We don't whine about bad calls, in fact we make excuses why we deserved the bad calls & they didn't impact the game. Tarver deserved to have both beautiful TD's called back and just continue to fight on like a true Aggie. Maybe make 3rd team mountain west.

My perception is that USU is an easy target for refs because the coaches and fans and media are not intimidating at all. 50/50 calls will not go our way until we demand excellence. Do you think a ref would flag Calhoun or Wells on a 50/50 play? What about USU or BYU?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 17th, 2016, 5:22 am

I think refs do the best they can. It wasn't a noticeable grab by the DB. The Aggies don't deserve it, but that is the way the game goes sometimes.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 17th, 2016, 6:52 am

Refs can and do affect games. They blew it and should be held accountable.

So should our coaches for not kicking a chip shot to take the lead, blowing two timeouts including your last one when the clock was stopped, not knowing what down it is (repeatedly), and failure to instruct players on what do if the ball stayed in bounds.

The players for not being able to put the ball in the end zone, stop NM on their last drive when pinned at the 1, and a QB that inexplicably runs and slides when clearly he needs to throw the ball away if no one is open. It was 1 and 25! Clock only stops on a first down, incomplete pass, or a play out of bounds.

The fans for only filling half of a brand new stadium.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 17th, 2016, 9:13 am

dyedblue wrote:Refs can and do affect games. They blew it and should be held accountable.

So should our coaches for not kicking a chip shot to take the lead, blowing two timeouts including your last one when the clock was stopped, not knowing what down it is (repeatedly), and failure to instruct players on what do if the ball stayed in bounds.

The players for not being able to put the ball in the end zone, stop NM on their last drive when pinned at the 1, and a QB that inexplicably runs and slides when clearly he needs to throw the ball away if no one is open. It was 1 and 25! Clock only stops on a first down, incomplete pass, or a play out of bounds.

The fans for only filling half of a brand new stadium.

You covered a lot of ground blue, and I liked your coherent summary. A decent running back not following his 600 lbs of blocking beef into the end zone on 4th and goal was another in a series of gaffs which shouldn't occur at this level of play. Where do we go from here is the question so many of us have.

Locked Previous topicNext topic