Matt Wells Football

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NAggsty Butler

Matt Wells Football

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 19th, 2016, 5:32 pm

USU- 523 yards
UNR- 341 yards

This is not Brent Guy football. No, when he lost games, at least we lost completely. Matt Wells snatches defeat from victory.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

2004AG

Re: Matt Wells Football

Post by 2004AG » November 19th, 2016, 5:32 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:USU- 523 yards
UNR- 341 yards

This is not Brent Guy football. No, when he lost games, at least we lost completely. Matt Wells snatches defeat from victory.
Matt Wells football: 3-9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 19th, 2016, 5:40 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:USU- 523 yards
UNR- 341 yards

actually I thought Brent Guy was great at snatching defeat from victory. I remember homecoming against SJSU... We blow a lead late in the 4th quarter- they kick it off- pooched! Lands right in front of one of our big hosses. A few yards out of field goal range. Guy just stands there- SJSU recovers and we lose the game. Fresno- we're up finally about to win the game and they boot in a 58 yarder. I can't tell you how many times we were in it, felt like we were going to win just to have our hearts ripped out. This is exactly how Guy would lose to teams we should have beaten. The teams we had no business beating we were run out of the building, just like is occurring with Wells.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 19th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Honestly though, anybody that thinks that we are back to BG football never saw BG. That was the worst football known to man. Literally. Matt Wells is a new brand of bad, not as bad, but still bad.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » November 19th, 2016, 5:49 pm

This is definitely not Brent Guy bad. This is like Gary Andersen bad. Those first few years when we had talent and looked like we should win games but just couldn't figure out how to win.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » November 19th, 2016, 5:55 pm

donlarson8 wrote:This is definitely not Brent Guy bad. This is like Gary Andersen bad. Those first few years when we had talent and looked like we should win games but just couldn't figure out how to win.

I disagree. GA had the difficult job of convincing those players that they could win games. Even when we finished that first season 4-8, there was such a hopeful feeling in Logan. It was hard, but it paid off after a few years. Matt Wells has been beating that winning spirit out of the players until now we are back to not believing we will win another game.

And GA never went 3-9.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » November 19th, 2016, 5:57 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:This is definitely not Brent Guy bad. This is like Gary Andersen bad. Those first few years when we had talent and looked like we should win games but just couldn't figure out how to win.

I disagree. GA had the difficult job of convincing those players that they could win games. Even when we finished that first season 4-8, there was such a hopeful feeling in Logan. It was hard, but it paid off after a few years. Matt Wells has been beating that winning spirit out of the players until now we are back to not believing we will win another game.

And GA never went 3-9.
It's all about perspective. We were used to losing so any glimmer of hope was improvement. Now we are used to winning so it seems worse. If you look at the seasons in isolation they are more similar.

Matt Wells has never gone 3-9 either (yet)

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 19th, 2016, 6:15 pm

I am baffled that anyone could have watched GA's teams and this team and make any sort of comparison. :shock:

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » November 19th, 2016, 6:20 pm

AgMac wrote:

I am baffled that anyone could have watched GA's teams and this team and make any sort of comparison. :shock:
You really don't see any similarities? It's like we're on the same train headed in the opposite direction. If nothing drastic changes we'll be back in Brent Guy land in no time.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 19th, 2016, 6:22 pm

I don't know if there are any more ways we can lose a football game than we have this year.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 19th, 2016, 6:23 pm

AgMac wrote:

I think their point is that when GA lost close games everyone applauded and patted him on the back and ignored his bad decisions. When Wells loses it's always his fault regardless of the circumstances.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » November 19th, 2016, 6:26 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

I think their point is that when GA lost close games everyone applauded and patted him on the back and ignored his bad decisions. When Wells loses it's always his fault regardless of the circumstances.
I completely agree. I just think it's because of perspective. To carry out the train analogy, with Gary we were moving forward and everyone could see where we were headed. Now, we're in a similar spot but we're going down the track backwards and all we are seeing is the progress we had made slipping away from us.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 19th, 2016, 6:36 pm

No the train has jumped the track

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 19th, 2016, 6:49 pm

It looks to me like we've been set back 5 or 6 years. I don't doubt the work in the off season but that can only go so far. Unless we have some players on both sides of the ball step up and hold every Player accountable we are looking at another repeat next year. I swear it's like going back in time except we have very nice facilities and support like this program has never seen before. Some say it's because of Staff turn over, we can't use that excuse anymore because I can't see any other School wanting to hire from our current Coaches. We will have stability.. Yay :roll:

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » November 19th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Matt Wells reminds me of a certain unnamed politician. He tells me that the trajectory of the program is headed in the right direction. He tells me that we are doing things "the right way." He tells me that the state of the program has never been stronger. He tells me that I am being too critical and that I just need to have a more positive outlook. He assumes little to no responsibility for the current state of the program both micro and macro. A fawning media (Al Lewis) lobs softball after softball without asking tough questions about the train wreck that is this season.

When you're gone, you definitely have a future in politics Matt. :joking:

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 19th, 2016, 7:24 pm

We will suffer, big time, in recruiting from this point forward if he stays our coach

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 19th, 2016, 7:27 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:We will suffer, big time, in recruiting from this point forward if he stays our coach
Already happening

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 19th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:We will suffer, big time, in recruiting from this point forward if he stays our coach
Already happening
No need to make it suffer any more. I am really concerned about the long term impact he will have on this program.

N8boz

Post by N8boz » November 19th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Matt is not a good coach. It's that simple. USU can't afford to fire him and pay for a new coach. The USU football program is on life support. And it's looking bleek.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 19th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Machismo wrote:It looks to me like we've been set back 5 or 6 years. I don't doubt the work in the off season but that can only go so far. Unless we have some players on both sides of the ball step up and hold every Player accountable we are looking at another repeat next year. I swear it's like going back in time except we have very nice facilities and support like this program has never seen before. Some say it's because of Staff turn over, we can't use that excuse anymore because I can't see any other School wanting to hire from our current Coaches. We will have stability.. Yay :roll:
Yeah these past two losses have been especially vintage Aggie football. Just embarrassing.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 19th, 2016, 10:28 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:

And GA never went 3-9.
I'll be honest after seeing the results last year and early on this year, after the AFA loss I knew we would lose to CSU, WYO, Bozo state, and Nevada. I was optimistic about fresno and hopeful about UNM. So we beat fresno, and their coach was fired after that game. However, after we lost last week to UNM that took the cake, we had that game won just like today and gave it away. You're right its like they're not believing we'll win another game. Next week is going to be ugly. We'll see who we should have hired in Sitake clean our clocks with their team.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 19th, 2016, 11:43 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Machismo wrote:It looks to me like we've been set back 5 or 6 years. I don't doubt the work in the off season but that can only go so far. Unless we have some players on both sides of the ball step up and hold every Player accountable we are looking at another repeat next year. I swear it's like going back in time except we have very nice facilities and support like this program has never seen before. Some say it's because of Staff turn over, we can't use that excuse anymore because I can't see any other School wanting to hire from our current Coaches. We will have stability.. Yay :roll:
Yeah these past two losses have been especially vintage Aggie football. Just embarrassing.
And next week will be a vintage Aggie a$$ whooping.

Locked Previous topicNext topic