New depth chart

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

New depth chart

Post by Madmartigan » August 28th, 2017, 11:16 am

https://twitter.com/AggieUp/status/902194498901393408

I am most excited about our improvements in athleticism at the OLB spot. LBs overall will be better, IMO. I worry about the DL and RBs. Interesting to see Wade starting over Roc.

What are your thoughts?

aggiefanatic

Re: New depth chart

Post by aggiefanatic » August 28th, 2017, 11:31 am

Beat me by a few minutes. I was surprised to see wade over both Roc and Baron. That is a good problem to have. I'm looking forward to 5 new starters on the oline. I think the dline has better depth than I original thought. I like seeing the new LBs rise to the top of the depth chart. I'm looking forward to this season and how this team will play. Hopefully, they don't fold like a tent when adversity hits like last year.

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » August 28th, 2017, 11:33 am

OL. All five starters will take their first snap for USU on Friday. All are transfers; four from JCs. One redshirted here last year. One played DL in JC.

Backups? Three RS freshman and one former starter that struggled last year. The other had no significant snaps.

This has to be near the least amount of returning experience for any team in about forever, right?

But with my Aggie glasses on, I think they could be better than last year, although that bar is not very high.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 28th, 2017, 11:34 am

aggiefanatic wrote:Beat me by a few minutes. I was surprised to see wade over both Roc and Baron. That is a good problem to have. I'm looking forward to 5 new starters on the oline. I think the dline has better depth than I original thought. I like seeing the new LBs rise to the top of the depth chart. I'm looking forward to this season and how this team will play. Hopefully, they don't fold like a tent when adversity hits like last year.
I feel good that a few starters from last year were supplanted by new recruits or guys on RS last year. Bailey to third string? Brooksby as a backup. Good signs that we recruited and/or developed well.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 28th, 2017, 11:57 am

There have been a couple of minor changes in the last week of closed practices but other than that it's what I had pegged two weeks ago on my last depth chart. Wade and Compton surprised me.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 28th, 2017, 12:19 pm

It makes sense that we are seeing younger guys earning starting roles. Last years starters won three games.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 28th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Surprised and disappointed that Hunt starts. Must mean we start games either passing a lot, or Meyers will carry a lot.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 28th, 2017, 12:56 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:Surprised and disappointed that Hunt starts. Must mean we start games either passing a lot, or Meyers will carry a lot.
Myers needs a back that can block and pass catches. I think Hunt is the best of the group at those two things.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 28th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:Surprised and disappointed that Hunt starts. Must mean we start games either passing a lot, or Meyers will carry a lot.
Myers needs a back that can block and pass catches. I think Hunt is the best of the group at those two things.
We'll still see our fair share of Tonny Lindsey.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » August 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I have the lowest of low expectations for this year's team...

However, seeing guys that seemed like locks for starting roles being beaten out is a tiny bit encouraging to me. Hopefully is an indication of a little bit of unexpected depth on the roster.

But most importantly, there are very few senior starters currently. Whatever this year turns out to be, should at the very least, be a steady improvement in 2018 with that much returning experience.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 28th, 2017, 1:43 pm

So we have 11 starters returning and only 5 are listed as starters now... Not sure if that is good or bad. Was our class of 18' and class of 19' recruiting that bad

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 28th, 2017, 1:54 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:I have the lowest of low expectations for this year's team...

However, seeing guys that seemed like locks for starting roles being beaten out is a tiny bit encouraging to me. Hopefully is an indication of a little bit of unexpected depth on the roster.

But most importantly, there are very few senior starters currently. Whatever this year turns out to be, should at the very least, be a steady improvement in 2018 with that much returning experience.
Lots of underclassmen starting or 2nd in the depth chart. Next year's team should be better.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 28th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Got to say I'm pretty pleased with the depth chart to start things. Only things I am a bit disappointed in is:
1. The selected personnel for Kick off returns. This usually requires someone with great vision and speed to hit a hole or see a seam and explode through it. Just can't see that type of guy coming from our RB's unless it is Hervey and he's not listed. Do we not have a WR like Byers with some speed to try out here?

2. The fact Hervey still can't seem to beat out Lindsey or Hunt. We need his type of speed on the field but apparently he must pose a liability in other areas of his game which prevents him from being the every down back.

I am glad to finally see the OLB situation changed to where we aren't left with Te'i, Compton, and Woodward all behind one another at one side. Good to see Compton and Woodward shifted to the side Larsen was holding down. We've got to get the best collection of players on the field and I think this does that. Also interesting to not see Alex Huerta even on the depth chart.

Bondar4Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » August 28th, 2017, 3:38 pm

What happened to Caden Andersen? He was starting at DE on 22's last depth chart and now he is MIA. Anyone know if he's injured or just got beat out?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 28th, 2017, 4:24 pm

Bondar4Aggies wrote:What happened to Caden Andersen? He was starting at DE on 22's last depth chart and now he is MIA. Anyone know if he's injured or just got beat out?
In my defense (and possibly Caden's), I did say that the only spots that appeared to be still very much open was the two defensive end spots. There was a lot of movement between the two's and three's throughout the entire two weeks of open camp. The only surefire starter I had was Togiai.
Last edited by aggies22 on August 28th, 2017, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Aglicious wrote:Got to say I'm pretty pleased with the depth chart to start things. Only things I am a bit disappointed in is:
1. The selected personnel for Kick off returns. This usually requires someone with great vision and speed to hit a hole or see a seam and explode through it. Just can't see that type of guy coming from our RB's unless it is Hervey and he's not listed. Do we not have a WR like Byers with some speed to try out here?

2. The fact Hervey still can't seem to beat out Lindsey or Hunt. We need his type of speed on the field but apparently he must pose a liability in other areas of his game which prevents him from being the every down back.

I am glad to finally see the OLB situation changed to where we aren't left with Te'i, Compton, and Woodward all behind one another at one side. Good to see Compton and Woodward shifted to the side Larsen was holding down. We've got to get the best collection of players on the field and I think this does that. Also interesting to not see Alex Huerta even on the depth chart.
I'm shocked to see the switch of Compton, Woodward, Baker and Magalei. They hadn't practiced in those spots at all during the first two weeks. Also Huerta was fourth on my final depth chart. He will play special teams I'm sure.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » August 28th, 2017, 4:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:Got to say I'm pretty pleased with the depth chart to start things. Only things I am a bit disappointed in is:

I'm shocked to see the switch of Compton, Woodward, Baker and Magalei. They hadn't practiced in those spots at all during the first two weeks. Also Huerta was fourth on my final depth chart. He will play special teams I'm sure.
Is Huerta injured or did he just get beaten out by better players?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 28th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
aggiefanatic wrote:Beat me by a few minutes. I was surprised to see wade over both Roc and Baron. That is a good problem to have. I'm looking forward to 5 new starters on the oline. I think the dline has better depth than I original thought. I like seeing the new LBs rise to the top of the depth chart. I'm looking forward to this season and how this team will play. Hopefully, they don't fold like a tent when adversity hits like last year.
I feel good that a few starters from last year were supplanted by new recruits or guys on RS last year. Bailey to third string? Brooksby as a backup. Good signs that we recruited and/or developed well.
You can add Huerta, a starter from last year, sliding to fourth.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
Hunt utterly without fire last season.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 29th, 2017, 5:41 am

AggieDude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Is Huerta injured or did he just get beaten out by better players?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Huerta has simply been recruited over. The shoulder injury that he suffered as a redshirt freshman has really hampered his development.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 29th, 2017, 7:06 am

Another surprising guy is Jake templeton on the 2 deep on the oline and uluave is not. Templeton is a walkon that has been playing dline.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 29th, 2017, 7:21 am

slcagg wrote:Another surprising guy is Jake templeton on the 2 deep on the oline and uluave is not. Templeton is a walkon that has been playing dline.
Templeton made the move to right guard just as the second week was coming to an end but to find him second at center was a surprise.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 29th, 2017, 8:02 am

I remember when Huerta was the next big thing for Aggie LBs. Injuries stink sometimes.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 29th, 2017, 8:23 am

Compared to last year, here's how I'd grade our position groups:
TE: Same/Slightly Better
OL: Better
QB: Slightly better due to depth
RB: Same (Effectively only had Mays for 1.5 games)
WR: Better
DL: Worse (lack of depth)
LB: Better
Corner: Better
Safety: Better
ST: Unknown

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » August 29th, 2017, 10:35 am

Madmartigan wrote:Compared to last year, here's how I'd grade our position groups:
Agree except for RB. While we only had Mays for two games, Lindsey got lots of time. He's now a groomed back for lots of carries. I'd say we're better at RB this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nismo1616
Been thanked: 0

Post by nismo1616 » August 29th, 2017, 10:56 am

I am probably late on this, but whats the news with Tre Miller? is he still at USU? Is he sitting this year out due to him decommitting and recommitting?

I am just surprised to not see him on the depth chart.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 29th, 2017, 11:33 am

nismo1616 wrote:I am probably late on this, but whats the news with Tre Miller? is he still at USU? Is he sitting this year out due to him decommitting and recommitting?

I am just surprised to not see him on the depth chart.
With two seniors and two juniors ahead of him, there is no reason to play Tre this season so he'll redshirt. With that said I was pretty impressed by his ability during fall camp and he has a bright future ahead of him!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 29th, 2017, 11:43 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:Compared to last year, here's how I'd grade our position groups:
Agree except for RB. While we only had Mays for two games, Lindsey got lots of time. He's now a groomed back for lots of carries. I'd say we're better at RB this year.

We would all like a workhorse back or a home run guy there but skill position athleticism all around is not the Aggies problem. Between Myers and guys at receiver and TE and presumably Hobbs running some wild cat the Aggies have plenty of skill weapons. If Hunt just is a great blocker in the pass and run games and can catch a ball we'll be fine. The blocking part is way undervalued with the way Defenses come at Qbs and challenge the RB on almost every single passing down either with zone flood blitzes or just great edge rushers that can beat our tackles.

Bottom line is we don't have a Mays who was the best after contact runner in the NCAA per play statistically. RBs will be as good as the O-line allows and hopefully the OC gets the ball to our studs at the other positions and Myers runs the read better. I don't think they are as bad as our O-line and play calling have made them look although its concerning that Hobbs is the only guy on the roster who can get a yard or two when needed on his own. Hope they use him some.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 29th, 2017, 12:44 pm

hickaggie wrote:
sambonethegreat wrote:

We would all like a workhorse back or a home run guy there but skill position athleticism all around is not the Aggies problem. Between Myers and guys at receiver and TE and presumably Hobbs running some wild cat the Aggies have plenty of skill weapons. If Hunt just is a great blocker in the pass and run games and can catch a ball we'll be fine. The blocking part is way undervalued with the way Defenses come at Qbs and challenge the RB on almost every single passing down either with zone flood blitzes or just great edge rushers that can beat our tackles.

Bottom line is we don't have a Mays who was the best after contact runner in the NCAA per play statistically. RBs will be as good as the O-line allows and hopefully the OC gets the ball to our studs at the other positions and Myers runs the read better. I don't think they are as bad as our O-line and play calling have made them look although its concerning that Hobbs is the only guy on the roster who can get a yard or two when needed on his own. Hope they use him some.
I think our best hope for a power run game this year is putting Hobbs at the wildcat. Especially seeing that he's now 240 lbs.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » August 29th, 2017, 1:18 pm

I agree with this, last year in the limited reps he was given, Hobbs seemed very aggressive and powerful when he ran the ball and always seemed to get at least a yard or two on what would have probably been no gains for other RBs

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 29th, 2017, 1:20 pm

MalAgua wrote:I agree with this, last year in the limited reps he was given, Hobbs seemed very aggressive and powerful when he ran the ball and always seemed to get at least a yard or two on what would have probably been no gains for other RBs
Hobbs also found the end zone more often than not in down and goal situations.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » August 29th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
MalAgua wrote:I agree with this, last year in the limited reps he was given, Hobbs seemed very aggressive and powerful when he ran the ball and always seemed to get at least a yard or two on what would have probably been no gains for other RBs
Yup, I remember that too. It's funny, he played so little, but I seem to recall many of his reps because he generally did well in the situation he was placed. I know he had a few snafus too, but his fight and push to move the ball forward is hard to forget since it was so rare with others last season.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 29th, 2017, 2:05 pm

MalAgua wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Yup, I remember that too. It's funny, he played so little, but I seem to recall many of his reps because he generally did well in the situation he was placed. I know he had a few snafus too, but his fight and push to move the ball forward is hard to forget since it was so rare with others last season.
Also, Hobbs is just better at the read option. He makes the correct read more than Myers does and can take a hit in order to gain the extra two or three yards we need.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 29th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
MalAgua wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Also, Hobbs is just better at the read option. He makes the correct read more than Myers does and can take a hit in order to gain the extra two or three yards we need.
Now we're getting into sour territory about who might be the best QB to run a spread offense...but I digress. I think given the RB situation and Hobbs desire to play this year rather than be backup QB, I wish he had been moved to that position instead of one where we're stacked. I have a certain philosophy (sometimes not shared by Wells I think) of keeping your athletes and playmakers on the field regardless of position. I thought he ran a lot like Nick Vigil out of the wildcat.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 29th, 2017, 2:16 pm

hickaggie wrote:
Maverik_Aggie wrote:
MalAgua wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Now we're getting into sour territory about who might be the best QB to run a spread offense...but I digress. I think given the RB situation and Hobbs desire to play this year rather than be backup QB, I wish he had been moved to that position instead of one where we're stacked. I have a certain philosophy (sometimes not shared by Wells I think) of keeping your athletes and playmakers on the field regardless of position. I thought he ran a lot like Nick Vigil out of the wildcat.
Makes a ton of sense to me that we would have a formation where the offense lines up as normal, but then shifts and has Hobbs run to the QB spot, Myers runs out to WR and Hobbs runs the Wildcat. After a few plays like that during the year it would then evolve to Hobbs actually passing it instead, or doing the jump pass out of the Wildcat in a goaline situation.

Based on the lack of creativity I've seen the last four years though I don't expect to ever actually see that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic