byu question

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GUS

byu question

Post by GUS » September 30th, 2017, 9:36 pm

I know that byu used to have dress and grooming standards. No long hair, extreme haircuts or beards etc. When Fred Warner took his helmet off it didn't look like he would meet those standards. Have they changed them, or are the football players exempt?

GameFAQSAggie

Re: byu question

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 30th, 2017, 9:39 pm

They just don't enforce it as strictly for football players.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 30th, 2017, 9:42 pm

From what I've heard, the only place on campus that the standards are really enforced is the testing center. As long as you don't have a test coming up you can grow it out.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 30th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Soon the students may be able to walk on the grass.

#progress

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » September 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm

NVAggie wrote:Soon the students may be able to walk on the grass.

#progress
Next thing you know they'll be smoking the grass!

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 2nd, 2017, 11:05 am

A lot of students already think they walk on water.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » October 2nd, 2017, 12:05 pm

GUS wrote:I know that byu used to have dress and grooming standards. No long hair, extreme haircuts or beards etc. When Fred Warner took his helmet off it didn't look like he would meet those standards. Have they changed them, or are the football players exempt?
It's well known that BYU Football and Basketball players are not only exempt from BYU grooming standards, the BYU honor code, and good sportsmanship but also from the Utah County/Provo legal systems. The Provo Police ALWAYS call the coach first (even when players threaten to kill people) and then the coach and Tommy Boy handle everything internally. The only time BYU suspends/expels its players is when the player is injured and physically unable to play. Once the player heals the suspension or expulsion is typically lifted.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 2nd, 2017, 6:01 pm

thansen wrote:
GUS wrote:I know that byu used to have dress and grooming standards. No long hair, extreme haircuts or beards etc. When Fred Warner took his helmet off it didn't look like he would meet those standards. Have they changed them, or are the football players exempt?
It's well known that BYU Football and Basketball players are not only exempt from BYU grooming standards, the BYU honor code, and good sportsmanship but also from the Utah County/Provo legal systems. The Provo Police ALWAYS call the coach first (even when players threaten to kill people) and then the coach and Tommy Boy handle everything internally. The only time BYU suspends/expels its players is when the player is injured and physically unable to play. Once the player heals the suspension or expulsion is typically lifted.

Or when he has fornicated -- then they publicly humiliate him and kick him off the team.

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm

You only get kicked off the team if the fornication ends as deity intended, conception.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 2nd, 2017, 9:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
thansen wrote:

Or when he has fornicated -- then they publicly humiliate him and kick him off the team.
Do you have to be a fornicating person of colour? Or are whitesome people also humiliated? (Partially honest question. I have totally tuned out BYU news the last few years. Mercifully.)

thansen

Post by thansen » October 2nd, 2017, 9:52 pm

All I know for certain is that for a while the only person on BYU's campus getting any action was Brandon Davies.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 2nd, 2017, 11:11 pm

thansen wrote:All I know for certain is that for a while the only person on BYU's campus getting any action was Brandon Davies.
Hey, what ever became of the Wilt Chamberlain of Utah Valley? And I'm not talking about his basketball game, if you know what I mean. ;)

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 3rd, 2017, 9:08 am

It is my understanding that there are exceptions for Black hair types. There are certain longer hair styles within that category that are acceptable(including an afro up to a certain length).

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 4th, 2017, 9:51 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:It is my understanding that there are exceptions for Black hair types. There are certain longer hair styles within that category that are acceptable(including an afro up to a certain length).
What if a white guy gets a perm? Do they go by the white guy standards or the black guy standards? Could this guy go to BYU?

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » October 4th, 2017, 10:42 pm

thansen wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not sure if serious.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 5th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Why do we care so much if byu is being staunch in enforcing hair styles or not? There's nothing wrong with the kid's hair.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 9th, 2017, 3:43 pm

AggieDude wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:It is my understanding that there are exceptions for Black hair types. There are certain longer hair styles within that category that are acceptable(including an afro up to a certain length).
What if a white guy gets a perm? Do they go by the white guy standards or the black guy standards? Could this guy go to BYU?

What if it's a white guy who doesn't need a perm? I'm thinking of the Art Garfunkle style jew-fro.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 9th, 2017, 4:34 pm

LKGates wrote:
AggieDude wrote:

What if it's a white guy who doesn't need a perm? I'm thinking of the Art Garfunkle style jew-fro.
Or Bob Ross.

Eutaw St. Aggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 10th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Yossarian wrote:
LKGates wrote:
AggieDude wrote:

Or Bob Ross.
[youtube][/youtube]

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 11th, 2017, 9:30 pm

LKGates wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
LKGates wrote:
AggieDude wrote:

Or Bob Ross.
[youtube][/youtube]
Looks like he has a spire growing out of the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

thansen

Post by thansen » October 24th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Student athletes at BYU that smoke marijuana continue to play because the BYU Honor Code does not apply to athletes. According to the Salt Lake Tribune after Ula Tolutau's arrest:

- The 6-foot-1, 250-pound Tolutau has played in two games since being cited by a Utah County Sheriff’s deputy two days after BYU’s 24-7 loss to Boise State.

- BYU football spokesman Brett Pyne said “We are just not going to comment on individual situations.”

- His status for Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against San Jose State is unknown; BYU does not publicly announce suspensions.

See link below to Salt Lake Tribune article.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougar ... ossession/

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Legalize it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 24th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Interesting comments after article.

thansen

Post by thansen » October 25th, 2017, 6:14 am

TheAKAggie wrote:Legalize it!

The Kitty Cats recently legalized the sale of caffeine on campus. Is Mary Jane legalization the next step up for them?

I'm assuming that Ula Tolutau likely is using the Mary Jane for medical purposes (depression) in which case it's okay and explains why the coaching staff continue to play him. I would imagine the entire YBU football team and coaching staff are using it to treat their depression which stems from the fact that the Kitty Cats are having their worst season since 1968 and are assured of a losing regular season for the first time since 2004. :cry:

In all seriousness though, what is the point of the YBU Honor Code if the higher ups don't enforce it for EVERYONE? IMO they need to scrap it or put in writing that all athletes are exempt.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2017, 8:23 am

Technically they could still finish the regular season at 6-7, make a bowl game, and end the year at 7-7.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 25th, 2017, 9:47 am

They still have another loss or 2 on the schedule.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 25th, 2017, 1:49 pm

thansen wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:Legalize it!

The Kitty Cats recently legalized the sale of caffeine on campus. Is Mary Jane legalization the next step up for them?
Maybe, but not for at least another hundred years.

Locked Previous topicNext topic