Depth Chart from the BYU game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Depth Chart from the BYU game

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 5th, 2017, 4:18 pm

We're five games into the season and I thought it would be interesting to look at the current depth chart. I know there are several injuries out there that we do not know about, but some things are still interesting. Here were the starters against BYU:

OFFENSE
QB) Kent Myers
RB) Lajuan Hunt
WR) Ronquavion Tarver
WR) Jaren Colsten-Green
WR) Jordan Nathan
TE) Dax Raymond
LT) Roman Andrus
LG) Moroni Iniguez
C) Quin Ficklin
RG) Rob Castaneda
RT) Sean Taylor

DEFENSE
DE) Adewale Adeoye
NG) Ritisoni Fata
DE) Ian Togiai
LB) Chase Christiansen
LB) Suli Tamaivena
LB) Derek Larsen
LB) Maika Magalei
CB) Jalen Davis
CB) Jemarcus Ingram
BS) Dallin Leavitt
FS) Gaje Ferguson

The offense is pretty much as expected, but there's some surprises on defense.

- Fata started at NG? Wasn't he a walk-on originally? Interesting that's surpassed the other guys
- Adewale wasn't the starter at the start of the season, but I had hoped he would emerge.
- Maika Magalei started at LB, but didn't seem like he got most of the reps. Given that he's only a freshman he probably has a pretty bright future. I also believe he was a late pickup. Justus Te'i may be battling injury. He did play, but didn't start after starting all last year.
- The offensive line really has been doing well considering they are all first time starters this season.
-Suli Tamaivena had a huge game against BYU. 13 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 0.5 TFL.
- Our lack of sacks and pass rush this year has been frustrating however. We 0 had sacks against BYU and seemed like we really struggled to pressure the QB. I hope Maile is dialing up some creative ways to pressure the CSU QB.

Elkaggie

Re: Depth Chart from the BYU game

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2017, 4:54 pm

swishh_15 wrote:We're five games into the season and I thought it would be interesting to look at the current depth chart. I know there are several injuries out there that we do not know about, but some things are still interesting. Here were the starters against BYU:

OFFENSE
QB) Kent Myers
RB) Lajuan Hunt
WR) Ronquavion Tarver
WR) Jaren Colsten-Green
WR) Jordan Nathan
TE) Dax Raymond
LT) Roman Andrus
LG) Moroni Iniguez
C) Quin Ficklin
RG) Rob Castaneda
RT) Sean Taylor

DEFENSE
DE) Adewale Adeoye
NG) Ritisoni Fata
DE) Ian Togiai
LB) Chase Christiansen
LB) Suli Tamaivena
LB) Derek Larsen
LB) Maika Magalei
CB) Jalen Davis
CB) Jemarcus Ingram
BS) Dallin Leavitt
FS) Gaje Ferguson

- Fata started at NG? Wasn't he a walk-on originally? Interesting that's surpassed the other guys
- Adewale wasn't the starter at the start of the season, but I had hoped he would emerge.
- Maika Magalei started at LB, but didn't seem like he got most of the reps. Given that he's only a freshman he probably has a pretty bright future. I also believe he was a late pickup. Justus Te'i may be battling injury. He did play, but didn't start after starting all last year.
- The offensive line really has been doing well considering they are all first time starters this season.
-Suli Tamaivena had a huge game against BYU. 13 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 0.5 TFL.
- Our lack of sacks and pass rush this year has been frustrating however. We 0 had sacks against BYU and seemed like we really struggled to pressure the QB. I hope Maile is dialing up some creative ways to pressure the CSU QB.
I agree with all of this except the Offensive line. Gave up 6 sacks (credited for only 5 because KM scrambled and barely got back to LOS) against BYU and we haven't really been able to have a steady rushing attack especially from our RB. Only avg 2.5 yards per carry against BYU.
I would also say that we will get beat a lot and often in the throw game if we can't get pressure and if we have to rely on Ferguson, Leavitt and our LB's to play in pass coverage. If I were Maile/Shaver I would play man Coverage and blitz a lot. That's what the Utes and it works better imo. BTW - where is Roquemore?? Was he not even dressed last game? I would think his size and athleticism would help us in the passing game.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 5th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Sometimes you need a R.B. that can break a tackle or get a forward lean after connect, have not seen that except for May's over the last two seasons.

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieaggie » October 5th, 2017, 6:26 pm

I too want to know what is going on with Roquemore??? I had high hopes for him. Also, has there been a report on Wade's celebrating injury? A Roquemore/Wade safety combo in the future would be fun to watch.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » October 5th, 2017, 6:27 pm

my understanding on the dline is that they play 4 plays then rotate, so it really doesn't matter much who starts. I know that it has been different for most of the games.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 5th, 2017, 6:40 pm

What is up with Chris Unga? Is he still injured?

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » October 5th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Also Schuster? I haven't seen a lot of him and I remember wells making a big deal about him his freshman year.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 5th, 2017, 6:57 pm

GeoAg wrote:What is up with Chris Unga? Is he still injured?
Chris played for the first time in 2017 against byu.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 5th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:Also Schuster? I haven't seen a lot of him and I remember wells making a big deal about him his freshman year.
:headscratch: Seems like G-mac has played the majority of the snaps at NG with Fata getting into the mix more and more. The one I am more concerned about is Mo Uasike. Dude was an incredible get for us and yet he hasn't set himself apart from this group and doesn't seem to get the reps of the others who appear to be in front of him on the depth chart.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Togai has been awesome. I really think our Dline is pretty good but imo not having Bwags, Vigilantes, Fack or the Doughty are what’s hurting us some. I think are LB’s are good but not great like those guys. Just my 2 cents.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2017, 8:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:Sometimes you need a R.B. that can break a tackle or get a forward lean after connect, have not seen that except for May's over the last two seasons.
Actually on the long drive in the 4th quarter against the WHY Harvey had a great run on 3rd down where he was shifty, fast and ran over a couple defenders to get a first down. We need more of that!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 5th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:Sometimes you need a R.B. that can break a tackle or get a forward lean after connect, have not seen that except for May's over the last two seasons.
Actually on the long drive in the 4th quarter against the WHY Harvey had a great run on 3rd down where he was shifty, fast and ran over a couple defenders to get a first down. We need more of that!
Every time I see Hervey run it distresses me that he doesn't get more carries. That was the best carry of the game and one of the best for the Aggies all year and in many ways iced the game even though the drive stalled. He fought through two tackles and managed to get the first down. He must be terrible picking up his blocks.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 5th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:We're five games into the season and I thought it would be interesting to look at the current depth chart. I know there are several injuries out there that we do not know about, but some things are still interesting. Here were the starters against BYU:

OFFENSE
QB) Kent Myers
RB) Lajuan Hunt
WR) Ronquavion Tarver
WR) Jaren Colsten-Green
WR) Jordan Nathan
TE) Dax Raymond
LT) Roman Andrus
LG) Moroni Iniguez
C) Quin Ficklin
RG) Rob Castaneda
RT) Sean Taylor

DEFENSE
DE) Adewale Adeoye
NG) Ritisoni Fata
DE) Ian Togiai
LB) Chase Christiansen
LB) Suli Tamaivena
LB) Derek Larsen
LB) Maika Magalei
CB) Jalen Davis
CB) Jemarcus Ingram
BS) Dallin Leavitt
FS) Gaje Ferguson

I agree with all of this except the Offensive line. Gave up 6 sacks (credited for only 5 because KM scrambled and barely got back to LOS) against BYU and we haven't really been able to have a steady rushing attack especially from our RB. Only avg 2.5 yards per carry against BYU.
I would also say that we will get beat a lot and often in the throw game if we can't get pressure and if we have to rely on Ferguson, Leavitt and our LB's to play in pass coverage. If I were Maile/Shaver I would play man Coverage and blitz a lot. That's what the Utes and it works better imo. BTW - where is Roquemore?? Was he not even dressed last game? I would think his size and athleticism would help us in the passing game.
Both lines got dominated vs. BYU. The right tackle on the Kafusi sack made one of the worst efforts I have ever seen on an inside move and the left tackle wasn't much better. The tackle position handling outside rushers has not improved during Wells tenure. Its not that damn hard to stay on your toes and knock down a rusher's hands once in a while. I don't think they focus enough on agility and recruiting agility for the position.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 6th, 2017, 12:47 am

Aglicious wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:Also Schuster? I haven't seen a lot of him and I remember wells making a big deal about him his freshman year.
:headscratch: Seems like G-mac has played the majority of the snaps at NG with Fata getting into the mix more and more. The one I am more concerned about is Mo Uasike. Dude was an incredible get for us and yet he hasn't set himself apart from this group and doesn't seem to get the reps of the others who appear to be in front of him on the depth chart.
Mo has been playing DEnd

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » October 6th, 2017, 5:35 am

hickaggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

OFFENSE
QB) Kent Myers
RB) Lajuan Hunt
WR) Ronquavion Tarver
WR) Jaren Colsten-Green
WR) Jordan Nathan
TE) Dax Raymond
LT) Roman Andrus
LG) Moroni Iniguez
C) Quin Ficklin
RG) Rob Castaneda
RT) Sean Taylor

DEFENSE
DE) Adewale Adeoye
NG) Ritisoni Fata
DE) Ian Togiai
LB) Chase Christiansen
LB) Suli Tamaivena
LB) Derek Larsen
LB) Maika Magalei
CB) Jalen Davis
CB) Jemarcus Ingram
BS) Dallin Leavitt
FS) Gaje Ferguson

Both lines got dominated vs. BYU. The right tackle on the Kafusi sack made one of the worst efforts I have ever seen on an inside move and the left tackle wasn't much better. The tackle position handling outside rushers has not improved during Wells tenure. Its not that damn hard to stay on your toes and knock down a rusher's hands once in a while. I don't think they focus enough on agility and recruiting agility for the position.
I thought this at 1st also but if you'll go and watch Hans film review you may change your mind :noidea: at least on the Dline fata and mo did some really nice things vs. Byu.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 6th, 2017, 7:05 am

USUBlue wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Mo has been playing DEnd
^^^^THIS. Mo has been a HUGE contributor at defensive end. Mo had four tackles in the byu game.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 6th, 2017, 7:52 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

OFFENSE
QB) Kent Myers
RB) Lajuan Hunt
WR) Ronquavion Tarver
WR) Jaren Colsten-Green
WR) Jordan Nathan
TE) Dax Raymond
LT) Roman Andrus
LG) Moroni Iniguez
C) Quin Ficklin
RG) Rob Castaneda
RT) Sean Taylor

DEFENSE
DE) Adewale Adeoye
NG) Ritisoni Fata
DE) Ian Togiai
LB) Chase Christiansen
LB) Suli Tamaivena
LB) Derek Larsen
LB) Maika Magalei
CB) Jalen Davis
CB) Jemarcus Ingram
BS) Dallin Leavitt
FS) Gaje Ferguson

I thought this at 1st also but if you'll go and watch Hans film review you may change your mind :noidea: at least on the Dline fata and mo did some really nice things vs. Byu.
The D-line did do some nice things and everyone played to the whistle and went after the ball. However, how many times did the RB's first contact come 4+ yards upfield. Their is no excuse for not maintaining. You have to force the double teams and if they don't come you'd better be damn well beating your guy and blowing up the lead blocker or the run itself. If you get bad leverage you gotta go down and tackle your blocker. LBs should not have to be dealing with lead blockers or guards pulling. Its not that hard. When the man blocking your gap as either a D-lineman or LB you gotta be in shadowing his earhole and blow up the play. The pull tells you exactly where the play is going.

You also got to fight and make pass moves. Its tough because of course they're gonna double you if your beating your man but that's what opens up the stunts. I think it was 6-0 on sacks against the Zoobs and they're were only 3-4 hurries.

Sorry for the rant. The D did a tremendous job on second hits and going to the ball. They played hard. That won't always save you though as teams scouting you will follow suit with ball security emphasis.

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » October 6th, 2017, 8:32 am

Anyone know what is going on with Caden Andersen? In spring and fall camp it sounded like he might start and now I don't think I have ever seen him on the field. Is he injured?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 6th, 2017, 8:37 am

Elkaggie wrote: I agree with all of this except the Offensive line. Gave up 6 sacks (credited for only 5 because KM scrambled and barely got back to LOS) against BYU and we haven't really been able to have a steady rushing attack especially from our RB. Only avg 2.5 yards per carry against BYU.
The offensive line comment was in the context of considering they are 5 brand new starters. 4 of the 5 guys are playing their first downs against Division one football too, and none of them have played together before. I also think they have been an improvement over last season.

And Roquemore must be hurt or in trouble or something because he didn't even get in the game.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 6th, 2017, 9:58 am

swishh_15 wrote:
Elkaggie wrote: I agree with all of this except the Offensive line. Gave up 6 sacks (credited for only 5 because KM scrambled and barely got back to LOS) against BYU and we haven't really been able to have a steady rushing attack especially from our RB. Only avg 2.5 yards per carry against BYU.
The offensive line comment was in the context of considering they are 5 brand new starters. 4 of the 5 guys are playing their first downs against Division one football too, and none of them have played together before. I also think they have been an improvement over last season.

And Roquemore must be hurt or in trouble or something because he didn't even get in the game.
He didn't dress and is hurt -- possibly out for a while. Dang Wells, give injury updates, not just on players out for the year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic