Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
wams747

Re: Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

Post by wams747 » October 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:A couple of things here.

Weber lost their all-everything QB to a concussion so it is no surprise they lost. We had 22k in the stadium thi s last Saturday. That isn't bad at all. Now if we could learn to cheer like Wyoming fans that would be awesome.
Admittedly I didn't know Weber lost their QB but as far as attendance it was homecoming both times I believe but UNLV 2012 we had at 3k more there and it was a night game. Even if that wasn't a good example I think attendance is down with Matt vs Gary. Even if attendance difference isn't huge excitement level is a huge difference.

Also consider that Wyoming brought way more folks than UNLV did and that the students get counted regardless and the student crowd Saturday lacked much more than paid attendance.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 16th, 2017, 8:50 pm

My favorite coach in sports likes Gary Andersen. That's good enough for me:

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » October 16th, 2017, 10:18 pm

wams747 wrote:I cannot determine if this rumor has any validity at all but I heard that a certain DONOR cough cough (Stan Laub) cough wants Gary Anderson back in Logan.

Has anyone else heard this? Just wondering how much truth there might be to it.
I think if Mr. Laub had any interest in Mr. Andersen coming back to coach, he'd have had Gary sit with him in the suite for the Wyoming game. I doubt Gary was busy with other things and would have been available. I'd imagine him coming to a game in Logan is right up there with the chance that someone like Kevin Costner shoots a movie scene in Logan. Fat chance on either.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » October 16th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Weber lost their all-everything QB to a concussion so it is no surprise they lost. We had 22k in the stadium thi s last Saturday. That isn't bad at all. Now if we could learn to cheer like Wyoming fans that would be awesome.
22k announced crowd. There weren't that many there. It was still a good crowd overall, but I remember my days when we'd do well to get 1200 to a November game.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » October 17th, 2017, 12:33 am

cdaAg wrote:
wams747 wrote:I cannot determine if this rumor has any validity at all but I heard that a certain DONOR cough cough (Stan Laub) cough wants Gary Anderson back in Logan.

I think if Mr. Laub had any interest in Mr. Andersen coming back to coach, he'd have had Gary sit with him in the suite for the Wyoming game. I doubt Gary was busy with other things and would have been available. I'd imagine him coming to a game in Logan is right up there with the chance that someone like Kevin Costner shoots a movie scene in Logan. Fat chance on either.
Actually, there is a Kevin Costner film being shot in Logan. They had location scouts up on campus about a month ago. I believe the film is called Yellowstone.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/88045 ... on-in-utah

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » October 17th, 2017, 12:34 am

wams747 wrote:

Admittedly I didn't know Weber lost their QB but as far as attendance it was homecoming both times I believe but UNLV 2012 we had at 3k more there and it was a night game. Even if that wasn't a good example I think attendance is down with Matt vs Gary. Even if attendance difference isn't huge excitement level is a huge difference.

Also consider that Wyoming brought way more folks than UNLV did and that the students get counted regardless and the student crowd Saturday lacked much more than paid attendance.
The students don't get counted regardless. They only get counted if they swipe their ID card. The ID cards are swiped at the gate. Let's put that falsehood to bed.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2017, 7:50 am

His opinion should have Johnny boy's ear much more than any of ours. I for one think it would be worth a shot to bring Gary back. I feel that it is less risk than Jay Hill (Whose team laid an egg against SUU) or any other realistic options we may have. Call me a Gary worshiper if you must but I think it would bring excitement to the program more so than an unproven name no one in the Valley knows about and potentially be more likely that he can win again than someone who may be able to do it a Weber High or elsewhere but hasn't yet done it at Utah State. Too many fails with promising names over the last 30 years to not give the only successful guy another shot. (Not considering Wells successful in this argument purely because of trajectory). People can site Wells bowl record or record against BYU or whatever but what is his conference record after Boise 2015? And how many butts were in the seats against Wyoming on a beautiful afternoon homecoming game vs an arguably better Wyoming team than were in the seats against an arguably worse UNLV team back in 2012?
Exactly. Sure there would be some large risks with Gary and there's a good chance he couldn't recreate the magic. I get that. I still see it a better solution than the alternatives though.

Ed Lamb almost assuredly has dropped off as a potential HC candidate for MWC type programs. Morgan Scalley seems to be the head coach in waiting at Utah and likely wouldn't leave. If Wells were to be gone, right now it seems its basically Jay Hill or Gary. I also really think we need someone who understands the local area and can recruit it to be successful.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 17th, 2017, 7:52 am

Ahbye wrote:
cdaAg wrote:

Actually, there is a Kevin Costner film being shot in Logan. They had location scouts up on campus about a month ago. I believe the film is called Yellowstone.

[youtube][/youtube]

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2017, 8:00 am

Ahbye wrote:
cdaAg wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 17th, 2017, 8:26 am

cdaAg wrote:

You do know that Gary's son is on the team...right?

wams747

Post by wams747 » October 17th, 2017, 9:16 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
cdaAg wrote:

You do know that Gary's son is on the team...right?
And maybe Laub didn't invite Gary to his suite for the game less than a week after he stepped down at OSU but that doesn't mean he won't invite him to his suite later on. Especially if Matt gets a 7th loss and is fired before the season is over I could see Laub bringing Gary to his suite and doing other things to make it very clear, even publicly, that he wants Gary (if there was some truth to the rumor and he does indeed want Gary).

I assume we will see little to no public signs from Laub while Matt is still our coach because he has probably has the decency to not openly support the hiring of someone as our next while while the current one is still employed.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 17th, 2017, 10:57 am

FIFTEEN (15) PAGES :shock:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 17th, 2017, 11:25 am

ViAggie wrote:FIFTEEN (15) PAGES :shock:

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » October 17th, 2017, 11:31 am

Gary Anderson sighting!

Coach Anderson seen relaxing at Marriott Hotel in Provo, Utah. When asked why Provo, stated that he wanted to get as far away from real college football as possible.

I support our troops, especially the snipers.

wams747

Post by wams747 » October 17th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Brushowl wrote:Gary Anderson sighting!

Coach Anderson seen relaxing at Marriott Hotel in Provo, Utah. When asked why Provo, stated that he wanted to get as far away from real college football as possible.
HaHa thats good stuff right there. On a more serious note... not sure if it has been mentioned but apparently Gary really was sighted at Sams Club in Logan. CHOOO CHOOO that fact that he immediately returned to Logan obviously means something :stirpot:

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 17th, 2017, 12:12 pm

wams747 wrote:

HaHa thats good stuff right there. On a more serious note... not sure if it has been mentioned but apparently Gary really was sighted at Sams Club in Logan. CHOOO CHOOO that fact that he immediately returned to Logan obviously means something :stirpot:
He still owns a house here. I'll reckon hes getting some R&R at his place away from Corvallis.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 17th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Obviously they ran out of eggos at AKAggie's and GA had to do a sam's club run. Obviously.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 17th, 2017, 12:15 pm

I’m not sure if he’s back in town but I know he is very excited to come back home to Utah.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2017, 12:20 pm

It wouldn't shock me at all if he really was at the Wyoming game on Saturday. He is no longer the Coach at Oregon State so why hang around?

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 17th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Elkaggie wrote:I’m not sure if he’s back in town but I know he is very excited to come back home to Utah.
Did you hang a welcome home banner on his garage?

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » October 17th, 2017, 1:30 pm

cdaAg wrote:

Gary was at the game....Not that it means anything one way or the other, but he was there. So there goes 1/2 your Fat Chance theory.

Go Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Agezzz wrote:
cdaAg wrote:

Gary was at the game....Not that it means anything one way or the other, but he was there. So there goes 1/2 your Fat Chance theory.

Go Aggies!
It seems like the Fat Chance theory has gone completely out the window.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 17th, 2017, 1:48 pm

wams747 wrote:

Technically he’s in Hyde Park waiting until Chasen “cleans the place up a bit.” Must have been some party! Gary went to get some Life cereal and paper towels. He has no interest in going to a game and the circus it would create. He was so pissed after the Wyoming game, “what the hell do I care about comments, and why all the thumbs and angry faces?” I had to tell him about swiping right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 17th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Imagine if Gary came back next year. The Matt Well's story would look like this:

2011 - Hired by Gary Andersen as QB Coach at Utah State
2012 - Promoted to Offensive Coordinator by Gary Andersen
2013 - Gary Andersen leaves Utah State and Wells is promoted to Head Coach after recommendation by Gary Andersen
2015 - Submits application for Oregon State HC position. Listed Gary Andersen as reference. When Gary is called he throws his name in the ring and is hired as Head Coach.
2017 - Gary Andersen leaves Oregon State, comes back to Logan mid-football season and attends Utah State games.
2018 - Matt Wells is fired in the Off season and Gary Andersen is welcomed back as head coach.

Talk about a love-hate relationship....

Flying_Scotsman8
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » October 17th, 2017, 2:25 pm

treesap32 wrote:Imagine if Gary came back next year. The Matt Well's story would look like this:

2011 - Hired by Gary Andersen as QB Coach at Utah State
2012 - Promoted to Offensive Coordinator by Gary Andersen
2013 - Gary Andersen leaves Utah State and Wells is promoted to Head Coach after recommendation by Gary Andersen
2015 - Submits application for Oregon State HC position. Listed Gary Andersen as reference. When Gary is called he throws his name in the ring and is hired as Head Coach.
2017 - Gary Andersen leaves Oregon State, comes back to Logan mid-football season and attends Utah State games.
2018 - Matt Wells is fired in the Off season and Gary Andersen is welcomed back as head coach. Gary Anderson hires Matt Wells as offense coordinator.

Talk about a love-hate relationship....
Just had to finish this story for you. Gary is pretty loyal. He really might hire Wells as O-coordinator, if Wells was willing (I don't think he would be.)

Aggieman02

Post by Aggieman02 » October 17th, 2017, 4:34 pm

After last week, it looks like it is time for John Hartwell to make the call to Gary. Would love to have him back.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 17th, 2017, 9:45 pm

swishh_15 wrote:

His opinion should have Johnny boy's ear much more than any of ours. I for one think it would be worth a shot to bring Gary back. I feel that it is less risk than Jay Hill (Whose team laid an egg against SUU) or any other realistic options we may have. Call me a Gary worshiper if you must but I think it would bring excitement to the program more so than an unproven name no one in the Valley knows about and potentially be more likely that he can win again than someone who may be able to do it a Weber High or elsewhere but hasn't yet done it at Utah State. Too many fails with promising names over the last 30 years to not give the only successful guy another shot. (Not considering Wells successful in this argument purely because of trajectory). People can site Wells bowl record or record against BYU or whatever but what is his conference record after Boise 2015? And how many butts were in the seats against Wyoming on a beautiful afternoon homecoming game vs an arguably better Wyoming team than were in the seats against an arguably worse UNLV team back in 2012?
Exactly. Sure there would be some large risks with Gary and there's a good chance he couldn't recreate the magic. I get that. I still see it a better solution than the alternatives though.

Ed Lamb almost assuredly has dropped off as a potential HC candidate for MWC type programs. Morgan Scalley seems to be the head coach in waiting at Utah and likely wouldn't leave. If Wells were to be gone, right now it seems its basically Jay Hill or Gary. I also really think we need someone who understands the local area and can recruit it to be successful.
And knows how to win with recruits from Utah. Not enough credit was given to GA for what he built with the talent in the state of Utah.

He would need a couple of good coaches who he can let run 2/3 of the program, then he can start filling up the cupboard with Poly's, RM's and Utah Kids. I wonder if the Vigil's have a teenage cousin or nephew in the wings we don't know about.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 17th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Does anyone know the real reason Gary QUIT? No competitor walks away from $12.6M without a scandal, deep personal/family issues, or mental illness.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 18th, 2017, 5:01 am

dyedblue wrote:Does anyone know the real reason Gary QUIT? No competitor walks away from $12.6M without a scandal, deep personal/family issues, or mental illness.

Running away from failure?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 18th, 2017, 6:15 am

I have heard several things, one of which contradicts much of what is being said. Gary did not walk away from 12 mil. He and Barnes jointly agreed to nullify his contract - so OSU was not contractually obligated to the 12mil. I am guessing that Gary still walked away with a nice check but it was not the full amount - and probably paid out in a different way. Second, part of why Gary was willing to do so was he wanted his assistants to be taken care of for some period of time. If that is true, it is more than unique and a noble gesture. I have also heard that Gary has been clear with folks for years, including the USU athletic department, that Logan was where he intended to live as his permanent residence. So he fully intended to be back in Logan at some point.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 18th, 2017, 6:48 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

And knows how to win with recruits from Utah. Not enough credit was given to GA for what he built with the talent in the state of Utah.

He would need a couple of good coaches who he can let run 2/3 of the program, then he can start filling up the cupboard with Poly's, RM's and Utah Kids. I wonder if the Vigil's have a teenage cousin or nephew in the wings we don't know about.
If I remember right there were two younger brothers that are probably just finishing up middle school and/or just entering high school.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 18th, 2017, 8:22 am

Get on it 22. That is valuable info we need.

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » October 18th, 2017, 8:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
LoveMyAggies wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:

If I remember right there were two younger brothers that are probably just finishing up middle school and/or just entering high school.
One of the brothers will be a junior or senior this year I think. A kid my sister-in-law was dating went to that same high school, but was a couple years older than the Vigil brother. He said that the younger Vigil wasn't very good. I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say though, he was a total loser. Also it offended me that he would talk bad about anyone in the Vigil family.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 18th, 2017, 10:13 am

gomretat wrote:I have heard several things, one of which contradicts much of what is being said. Gary did not walk away from 12 mil. He and Barnes jointly agreed to nullify his contract - so OSU was not contractually obligated to the 12mil. I am guessing that Gary still walked away with a nice check but it was not the full amount - and probably paid out in a different way. Second, part of why Gary was willing to do so was he wanted his assistants to be taken care of for some period of time. If that is true, it is more than unique and a noble gesture. I have also heard that Gary has been clear with folks for years, including the USU athletic department, that Logan was where he intended to live as his permanent residence. So he fully intended to be back in Logan at some point.
Glad we're back to St. Gary. That's noble of him to want what's best for his assistants - the same assistants that he threw under the bus to a reporter? The same assistants that are under contract through July regardless of what Gary does. Oh, how very noble of him.

He was owed $12.6 in guaranteed money.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 18th, 2017, 10:20 am

dyedblue wrote:
gomretat wrote:I have heard several things, one of which contradicts much of what is being said. Gary did not walk away from 12 mil. He and Barnes jointly agreed to nullify his contract - so OSU was not contractually obligated to the 12mil. I am guessing that Gary still walked away with a nice check but it was not the full amount - and probably paid out in a different way. Second, part of why Gary was willing to do so was he wanted his assistants to be taken care of for some period of time. If that is true, it is more than unique and a noble gesture. I have also heard that Gary has been clear with folks for years, including the USU athletic department, that Logan was where he intended to live as his permanent residence. So he fully intended to be back in Logan at some point.
Glad we're back to St. Gary. That's noble of him to want what's best for his assistants - the same assistants that he threw under the bus to a reporter? The same assistants that are under contract through July regardless of what Gary does. Oh, how very noble of him.

He was owed $12.6 in guaranteed money.

St Gary? I like that. Any coach that gets Utah State to finish in the top 25 deserves the title.

Sorry, I just don’t give a (I can't express myself without swearing) he texted a reported about his assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic