Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
gomretat

Re: Gary Andersen parts ways with Oregon State

Post by gomretat » October 18th, 2017, 11:00 am

dyedblue wrote:
gomretat wrote:I have heard several things, one of which contradicts much of what is being said. Gary did not walk away from 12 mil. He and Barnes jointly agreed to nullify his contract - so OSU was not contractually obligated to the 12mil. I am guessing that Gary still walked away with a nice check but it was not the full amount - and probably paid out in a different way. Second, part of why Gary was willing to do so was he wanted his assistants to be taken care of for some period of time. If that is true, it is more than unique and a noble gesture. I have also heard that Gary has been clear with folks for years, including the USU athletic department, that Logan was where he intended to live as his permanent residence. So he fully intended to be back in Logan at some point.
Glad we're back to St. Gary. That's noble of him to want what's best for his assistants - the same assistants that he threw under the bus to a reporter? The same assistants that are under contract through July regardless of what Gary does. Oh, how very noble of him.

He was owed $12.6 in guaranteed money.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
I am merely reporting what I have been told. The labels are all yours.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 18th, 2017, 11:11 am

dyedblue wrote:
gomretat wrote:I have heard several things, one of which contradicts much of what is being said. Gary did not walk away from 12 mil. He and Barnes jointly agreed to nullify his contract - so OSU was not contractually obligated to the 12mil. I am guessing that Gary still walked away with a nice check but it was not the full amount - and probably paid out in a different way. Second, part of why Gary was willing to do so was he wanted his assistants to be taken care of for some period of time. If that is true, it is more than unique and a noble gesture. I have also heard that Gary has been clear with folks for years, including the USU athletic department, that Logan was where he intended to live as his permanent residence. So he fully intended to be back in Logan at some point.
Glad we're back to St. Gary. That's noble of him to want what's best for his assistants - the same assistants that he threw under the bus to a reporter? The same assistants that are under contract through July regardless of what Gary does. Oh, how very noble of him.

If Gary had been fired, his assistants were left hanging. This way, he ensured that they would be okay for a while and got a much better pay out.

Gary also wasn't lying to the reporter, those assistants suck.

Lastly, my mind is boggled as to why a USU fan would be so unabashedly against Gary Andersen, but so vocally supportive of Matt Wells. :headscratch: Sure Wells is our coach right now, but had he had an offer even half of Gary was offered with Wisconsin, he would've bolted so fast.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 18th, 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

swishh_15 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

If Gary had been fired, his assistants were left hanging. This way, he ensured that they would be okay for a while and got a much better pay out.

Lastly, my mind is boggled as to why a USU fans would be so unabashedly against Gary Andersen, but so vocally supportive of Matt Wells. :headscratch: Sure Wells is our coach right now, but had he had an offer even half of Gary was offered with Wisconsin, he would've bolted so fast.
This is a good point. Gary was rumored to have turned down a few P5 programs and only left when Wisconsin came calling. And who in their right mind would refuse a 3x pay raise and Wisconsin? Cue the "Gary is a liar" replies...

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 18th, 2017, 11:29 am

Gary is a liar

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 18th, 2017, 11:33 am

swishh_15 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Lastly, my mind is boggled as to why a USU fans would be so unabashedly against Gary Andersen, but so vocally supportive of Matt Wells. :headscratch: Sure Wells is our coach right now, but had he had an offer even half of Gary was offered with Wisconsin, he would've bolted so fast.
Me too. I can’t wrap my brain around why some people hate Gary Andersen and love Matt Wells.

I guess it’s the same mentality that once someone leaves, they become garbage, like the time people thought we would be better off without David Collette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 18th, 2017, 11:39 am

2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Me too. I can’t wrap my brain around why some people hate Gary Andersen and love Matt Wells.

I guess it’s the same mentality that once someone leaves, they become garbage, like the time people thought we would be better off without David Collette.

We aren't better off without Collette? :sarcasm:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 18th, 2017, 1:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

St Gary? I like that. Any coach that gets Utah State to finish in the top 25 deserves the title.

Sorry, I just don’t give a s*** he texted a reported about his assistants.

So are we going to fire St Matt?

ozzie1p

Post by ozzie1p » October 18th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Maybe St. Matt should follow the example of his mentor and walk away from his contract to benefit his alma mater..........

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 18th, 2017, 2:35 pm

2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Me three 2004, I have always been confused by those that profess to be big Aggie fans, but someone lose sight of what's best for USU and instead focus on "not rocking the boat", or better yet "keeping their connections" with the current coaches. There was always a group that was sad to see DA, Mick, and Guy leave. Those are the fans that I can live without -- Go Aggies; as for the coaches, win or move aside for someone that can.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 18th, 2017, 3:43 pm

USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Me three 2004, I have always been confused by those that profess to be big Aggie fans, but someone lose sight of what's best for USU and instead focus on "not rocking the boat", or better yet "keeping their connections" with the current coaches. There was always a group that was sad to see DA, Mick, and Guy leave. Those are the fans that I can live without -- Go Aggies; as for the coaches, win or move aside for someone that can.
:shock: Brent's family members you mean?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 18th, 2017, 3:53 pm

treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:Me three 2004, I have always been confused by those that profess to be big Aggie fans, but someone lose sight of what's best for USU and instead focus on "not rocking the boat", or better yet "keeping their connections" with the current coaches. There was always a group that was sad to see DA, Mick, and Guy leave. Those are the fans that I can live without -- Go Aggies; as for the coaches, win or move aside for someone that can.
Nah, man. There were legit a few folks who felt that Guy deserved more time and that he was improving (you know, from 1, to 2, to 3 wins).

gomretat

Post by gomretat » October 18th, 2017, 4:29 pm

OR, maybe some folks are comfortable with the fact that changes need to occur but are uncomfortable with the mud slinging, personal attacks, treating people as idiots etc that are associated with some who voice displeasure. I have been around sports my whole life and continue to be surprised by the need to ignore human decency in how both coaches and players get treated.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 18th, 2017, 4:32 pm

gomretat wrote:OR, maybe some folks are comfortable with the fact that changes need to occur but are uncomfortable with the mud slinging, personal attacks, treating people as idiots etc that are associated with some who voice displeasure. I have been around sports my whole life and continue to be surprised by the need to ignore human decency in how both coaches and players get treated.
That might make sense if the mud slinging wasn’t directed at Gary. You know, the ones that say he’s an alcoholic and washed up and burned out and he’s a traitor and flaky, etc.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 18th, 2017, 5:40 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
USUBlue wrote:Me three 2004, I have always been confused by those that profess to be big Aggie fans, but someone lose sight of what's best for USU and instead focus on "not rocking the boat", or better yet "keeping their connections" with the current coaches. There was always a group that was sad to see DA, Mick, and Guy leave. Those are the fans that I can live without -- Go Aggies; as for the coaches, win or move aside for someone that can.
Nah, man. There were legit a few folks who felt that Guy deserved more time and that he was improving (you know, from 1, to 2, to 3 wins).
Guy left the program in much better shape, than when he got here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 18th, 2017, 6:02 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 18th, 2017, 6:03 pm

boom

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » October 18th, 2017, 7:44 pm

gomretat wrote:OR, maybe some folks are comfortable with the fact that changes need to occur but are uncomfortable with the mud slinging, personal attacks, treating people as idiots etc that are associated with some who voice displeasure. I have been around sports my whole life and continue to be surprised by the need to ignore human decency in how both coaches and players get treated.
:golfclap:

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 18th, 2017, 8:31 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And someone is already triggered from this haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 18th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » October 19th, 2017, 12:01 am

swishh_15 wrote: Exactly. Sure there would be some large risks with Gary and there's a good chance he couldn't recreate the magic. I get that. I still see it a better solution than the alternatives though.

Ed Lamb almost assuredly has dropped off as a potential HC candidate for MWC type programs. Morgan Scalley seems to be the head coach in waiting at Utah and likely wouldn't leave. If Wells were to be gone, right now it seems its basically Jay Hill or Gary. I also really think we need someone who understands the local area and can recruit it to be successful.
What about Stanford's Lance Anderson? He grew up in Burley and played at Idaho State in college, and he is (I believe) active LDS. I know he recruits Utah/Idaho heavily for Stanford, so he has plenty of recruiting contacts in the area, and he knows the culture very well. Would he leave Stanford to coach at USU? I'm guessing probably not unless we can increase our head coaching salary by a lot. (Some say that he turned down BYU; others say that they never contacted him and turned straight to Sitaki after the Navy guy turned them down.) But I hope Hartwell at least gives him a call if we have a coaching vacancy this year. As I said before, I'd take Gary Andersen over a position coach like Jay Norvell or Brent Brennan with no coaching resume. But I'd take Lance Anderson or Jay Hill by a mile over Gary Andersen. Indeed, at this point I'd take Matt Wells over Gary Andersen, although my feelings might change by the end of the season.
2004AG wrote: Me too. I can’t wrap my brain around why some people hate Gary Andersen and love Matt Wells.

I don't know anyone who hates Gary Andersen or who is extremely passionate about Matt Wells. But I find it puzzling that Andersen gets so much credit for one good season in a 10-year career consisting of mostly mediocrity and failure while Wells gets so much hate for one poor season. Sorry guys, but we would not have repeated the success of 2012 regardless of whether Andersen or Wells (or probably Nick Saban) was our coach. That was a once-in-50-years outlier that we may never see again, and I can't blame Wells for the fact that the program has regressed to the mean.
USUBlue wrote: Me three 2004, I have always been confused by those that profess to be big Aggie fans, but someone lose sight of what's best for USU and instead focus on "not rocking the boat", or better yet "keeping their connections" with the current coaches. There was always a group that was sad to see DA, Mick, and Guy leave. Those are the fans that I can live without -- Go Aggies; as for the coaches, win or move aside for someone that can.
Will you please stop with this silly straw man? Nobody wants to keep Wells/Duryea/Guy/whoever out of a desire to "not rock the boat." The unfortunate reality is that firing a coach is bad for a program. You have to keep paying the coach you fired, for starters, which is money you can't spend on a new coach. And when almost all of your school's coaches in recent history have been fired and washed out of the coaching profession, that's a situation that most good up and coming coaches are not going to want to walk into, particularly if the pay is low. So I don't want to fire a coach unless either 1) we can pay the new coach enough money that we can attract someone good, or 2) the existing coach is so hopeless that keeping them around would be even worse than buying out the current one. If Wells misses a bowl game and a donor commits to giving enough money to hire Nick Saban, I am 100% in favor of firing Wells, although I don't think that's going to happen. Indeed, if Wells doesn't go bowling and we have enough money to hire Lance Anderson, I would pull the trigger. Maybe for Jay Hill or Gary Andersen as well, although I'm less certain in those cases. But if the best we can do is someone like Jay Norvell, then I'll keep Wells, thank you very much. Nevada should be a cautionary tale for those who are eager to run Wells out of town. Nevada's fans got tired of Ault and wanted him gone. So they got Polian, who took the program downward. They decided to fire Polian and ended up hiring a position coach who lost to Idaho State. This is a program with a budget comparable to USU and (if anything) more recent success than USU. So it's very easy to run your program into the ground by getting rid of a good coach if you don't have the resources to hire someone better. So the reason I'm reluctant to fire Wells is not because I don't want to rock the boat. It's because I don't want to hire a Jay Norvell and lose to Idaho State, which is a risk you take when you fire a coach. At this point I think Wells should definitely keep his job with 6 wins and maybe even with 5. My position may change depending on how the rest of the season goes.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 19th, 2017, 8:03 am

I don't think Nevada fans were tired of Ault. He won 233 games at Nevada, been to eight straight bowl games, had five straight winning seasons, and was only two seasons removed from a 13 win season when he retired in his mid 60s after 28 seasons as the head coach, and 41 years of his adult life as a player, coach or administrator at Nevada. If Nevada fans were tired of him, then they fully deserve any struggles they get now.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 19th, 2017, 8:03 am

You can have him for your imaginary team.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 19th, 2017, 8:08 am

2004AG wrote:
That might make sense if the mud slinging wasn’t directed at Gary. You know, the ones that say he’s an alcoholic and washed up and burned out and he’s a traitor and flaky, etc.

I don't understand why mudslinging has to occur regardless of who it is aimed at. Strange, the need for doing that. It'll never make sense to me.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 19th, 2017, 8:13 am

Lance Anderson would be a very good hire, but I think that's a pipe dream. At Stanford, He likely makes a million, has his players trained by the best S&C coach in the business, and lives in Palo Alto. At some point, I think he has ambitions to be a HC, but USU would have to pay a lot more to make that happen.

As far as the "regression to the mean" point, I don't disagree with you. Wells has pretty much done what coaches have done here the past few years. I think many fans, including myself, want a coach that can elevate the program above the mean of mediocrity and most times downright bad football. Call me unrealistic if you will, but I think a football program that wins 6 or more games a year consistently is possible at Utah State.

Gary Andersen at this point in his career seems less likely to bolt for greener pastures and could be a Stew like figure of continuity here. He obviously likes the area and has proven he can win. His tenure was too short to say what he would've done past 2012, but I'd just look at all the NFL talent he left for Wells for an indicator of the talent level his future teams could've had.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 19th, 2017, 8:21 am

newhouse9 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I don't understand why mudslinging has to occur regardless of who it is aimed at. Strange, the need for doing that. It'll never make sense to me.
What "mudslinging" is occuring? Link please.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 19th, 2017, 9:14 am

I'm wondering if the "it's time for Wells to go" crowd would change their tune if we weren't struggling offensively the way we are? Would it be a different conversation if we were losing 42-45 point shootouts? I'm not a Coach Wells apologist, I'm an Aggie football realist. It's crazy to think that we are going to win 10+ games every year. The fact of the matter is, winning 6 or 7 games a year and going to a bowl should be a very realistic goal and it beats the hell out of only winning 2,3 games or less. With the exception of 2016, Coach Wells has done that and regardless of what some may think he is in position to win 6 games again. I don't understand how the exceptional 2012 season has spoiled many to the point where that is supposed to be the norm. Have you only been Aggie fans for 5 years? I haven't.

We have never been in a good conference and we will never be in a good conference, so the bad competition argument should go out the window. Each Coach at Utah State has not done particularly well in the PCAA, Big West, independence, Sun Belt or the WAC. The perils of being in a bad conference is that every year one or two teams catches lightning in a bottle and has a year that far exceeds expectations, such as Wyoming last season. I'm very aware of where we sit record wise this season and I'm and very much in "wait and see what happens" point of view. Do I think we should get to 6 wins? Absolutely. Am I going to be pissed if we don't? HELL YES! The fact of the matter is when you sit back and look at overall records Coach Wells has been more successful than most. We are once again a very young team, as somewhere around 35 players have seen their first Division 1 collegiate action this season and many of those are redshirt or true freshman. Again I pose this question would there be as much anger toward Coach Wells if we were at least putting up points but still losing games? Or would there be a call for Maile and/or Shavers head instead? Again I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 19th, 2017, 9:38 am

aggies22 wrote:I'm wondering if the "it's time for Wells to go" crowd would change their tune if we weren't struggling offensively the way we are? Would it be a different conversation if we were losing 42-45 point shootouts? I'm not a Coach Wells apologist, I'm an Aggie football realist. It's crazy to think that we are going to win 10+ games every year. The fact of the matter is, winning 6 or 7 games a year and going to a bowl should be a very realistic goal and it beats the hell out of only winning 2,3 games or less. With the exception of 2016, Coach Wells has done that and regardless of what some may think he is in position to win 6 games again. I don't understand how the exceptional 2012 season has spoiled many to the point where that is supposed to be the norm. Have you only been Aggie fans for 5 years? I haven't.

We have never been in a good conference and we will never be in a good conference, so the bad competition argument should go out the window. Each Coach at Utah State has not done particularly well in the PCAA, Big West, independence, Sun Belt or the WAC. The perils of being in a bad conference is that every year one or two teams catches lightning in a bottle and has a year that far exceeds expectations, such as Wyoming last season. I'm very aware of where we sit record wise this season and I'm and very much in "wait and see what happens" point of view. Do I think we should get to 6 wins? Absolutely. Am I going to be pissed if we don't? HELL YES! The fact of the matter is when you sit back and look at overall records Coach Wells has been more successful than most. We are once again a very young team, as somewhere around 35 players have seen their first Division 1 collegiate action this season and many of those are redshirt or true freshman. Again I pose this question would there be as much anger toward Coach Wells if we were at least putting up points but still losing games? Or would there be a call for Maile and/or Shavers head instead? Again I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist.
You’re spinning to support your agenda. The Matt Wells’ apologists love to trot out his win/loss record, completely ignoring the overwhelming downward trend. He’s been as successful as he has been because he took over a top 25 team. Other coaches haven’t had his facilities, his conference, and an inherited winning culture he got from Gary.

If I saw a team playing hard, who loves their coach, plays physically and a coach who stopped trotting out a QB, who might be a really good person, but isnt a MW level QB, I would have a lot more patience.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 19th, 2017, 9:42 am

swishh_15 wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

What "mudslinging" is occuring? Link please.
More a lot of name calling. Adolescent behavior. Mudslinging? I suppose if someone referenced that Gary is an alcoholic, I would consider that as mudslinging.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 19th, 2017, 9:57 am

2004AG wrote:
aggies22 wrote:I'm wondering if the "it's time for Wells to go" crowd would change their tune if we weren't struggling offensively the way we are? Would it be a different conversation if we were losing 42-45 point shootouts? I'm not a Coach Wells apologist, I'm an Aggie football realist. It's crazy to think that we are going to win 10+ games every year. The fact of the matter is, winning 6 or 7 games a year and going to a bowl should be a very realistic goal and it beats the hell out of only winning 2,3 games or less. With the exception of 2016, Coach Wells has done that and regardless of what some may think he is in position to win 6 games again. I don't understand how the exceptional 2012 season has spoiled many to the point where that is supposed to be the norm. Have you only been Aggie fans for 5 years? I haven't.

You’re spinning to support your agenda. The Matt Wells’ apologists love to trot out his win/loss record, completely ignoring the overwhelming downward trend. He’s been as successful as he has been because he took over a top 25 team. Other coaches haven’t had his facilities, his conference, and an inherited winning culture he got from Gary.

If I saw a team playing hard, who loves their coach, plays physically and a coach who stopped trotting out a QB, who might be a really good person, but isnt a MW level QB, I would have a lot more patience.

I could bring up a lot of things in response to Aggies22 as well. But a nice summary of response is a simple statistic. Kent Myers is 5-18 in the last 23 games he's played against FBS opponents (20 of those games were against G5 teams). That tells us everything we need to know. That and the fact that he'll still be trotting out Saturday as the starter.

I don't know how you defend that.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 19th, 2017, 11:18 am

treesap32 wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

:lol:

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 19th, 2017, 11:20 am

It would definitely change things if we were losing in shootouts. It would still be frustrating, but at least it would be entertaining.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 19th, 2017, 11:26 am

AGNUMPI wrote:

It would definitely change things if we were losing in shootouts. It would still be frustrating, but at least it would be entertaining.
This. The team is just hard to watch. We haven't had a consistent offense under Wells. When the problem stays the same or gets worse every year, that's a sign that change is needed.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 19th, 2017, 11:26 am

We're veering off track a little, so...

[youtube][/youtube]

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 19th, 2017, 11:37 am

You are too close to the trees to see the forest. Wells has been a disaster. He has so many problems with offense ineptitude being only one of them.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » October 19th, 2017, 11:52 am

I would understand your point if we lacked the talent to reach 8-10 games per year, but I don't think that's the issue. We generally lose games due to poor play, not because we're out-manned (other than the P5 matchups). We've learned what it looks like for a coach to get the most out of the talent he has. We haven't seen that the last two and a half seasons (arguably longer). Our defense is decent, but our offense is dysfunctional. That's poor coaching, not a lack of talent.

Locked Previous topicNext topic